Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

Saket

Hello Friends,

I would like to start this thread so as to enable ourselves to identify hindi vinyls which have outstanding pressing & sound quality by sharing our knowledge. This may be helpful to those who are more particular about pressings and sound quality than just collecting vinyls.
I would like to share my bit from my collection:

1. Saagar - 33 RPM LP
2. Masoom - 45 RPM LP
3. Sanam Teri Kasam - 33 RPM LP
4. Shaan - 33 RPM LP
5. Shalimar - 45 RPM EP
6. Disco Deewane Nazia Hassan - 33 RPM LP
7. Mukesh - A tribute by Lata Live in USA Canada - 1976 33 RPM 2LP set
8. Lata Mangeshkar Live in Royal Albert Hall London - 33 RPM 2LP set
9. Kishore Kumar Live in USA 33 RPM LP
10 Awara - 45 RPm EP
11. Kati Patang - 45 RPM EP
12 Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak 33 RPM LP
13. Maine Pyar Kiya 33 RPM (quality moderate to high but much better than Audio cassette or acd)

Some more esp. from Music India stable would qualify but couldnt recall at the moment. Will check back my collection & report.

Your contributions to this thread are highly valued. Please share your experiences

Thanks & regards,
Saket

Disco Deewane
Khel Khel mein
Qurbani
Kasme Vaade
Kishore Kumar live at Los Angeles

These are some of the good Hindi recordings in my opinion. All on 33 LPs.

Last edited:
Don 33rpm lp, jaanbaaz, Hum kisi se kam nahin, karz 33rpm lps
..also have a Sunil Ganguly instrumental disc that sounds awesome.

The leader of them all is supposed to be the OST of the movie "The Burning Train" released in 1979-80, Music by RD Burman.
Disco Diwanee (1980) and Star (OST-1981) by Nazia Hassan are also very good as the originals were mastered in the UK. Music is by Biddu.

I was sure that it would come up;). I never possesed, nor heard the 'Burning Train' LP so I didn't write about it. :sad:Though I have heard about it a lot. Also couldnt find it with any lp sellers. I am sure it must be a great pressing but still to hear it.
Same goes for Nikaah.
I have got most of the Lps mentioned by Shivam except Khel khel mein. Totally agree with him.

Hey Murali,

I have hunted for this LP long but didnt get it. Have heard great remarks about its SQ too. Great songs too.

Regards,
Saket

Hey Murali,

I have hunted for this LP long but didnt get it. Have heard great remarks about its SQ too. Great songs too.

Regards,
Saket

Hi saket,

It is hard to find, of course the SQ was also good, as also the music by Ilaiyaraaja.

N.Murali

Just an after-thought :

Apart from the sound quality, almost all of the LPs listed till now have very good music too.
I would be happy to hear these even on short wave radio with all the crackling static.

The Burning Train LP sells for about 2-2.5k in the used market and is very hard to find. My dad had the Khel Khel Mein LP, pretty good. I must mention that the Yaarana LP was crap.

I was sure that it would come up;). I never possesed, nor heard the 'Burning Train' LP so I didn't write about it. :sad:Though I have heard about it a lot. Also couldnt find it with any lp sellers. I am sure it must be a great pressing but still to hear it.
Same goes for Nikaah.
I have got most of the Lps mentioned by Shivam except Khel khel mein. Totally agree with him.

Most of RDB's early 80s soundtracks sound pretty good on vinyl. My Polydor / Music India pressing of Yeh Vaada Raha is excellent

@Shivam - You are right bro, these yesteryears music were simply outstanding. It is sad that some of the great old albums didnot have good recordings and pressings otherwise they would have been much more enjoyable.

@MKsharan: Jo jeeta wohi sikandar was a great title too that you reminded me of. I will definitely put it in my hunt list! not sure if I will get it as I have never seen this LP among the sellers.

@ Reubensm: 2.5K for an LP...there must be something special attached to it. I hope i get to hear it someday for myself to believe others that what kind of gem is "the burning train'.

@sughosh: That's a good observation. I think that RDB became very particular about his recording quality, esp. with his good numbers. I remember that one of his LPs...Hum kisi se kam nahin had one side in Stereo & the other in Mono. Of course all the songs of this movie were great but the ones which highlighted the movie were in stereo. However the mono recordings were great too.

Also would like to mention that most of the Indian artists performing in concert abroad also got well pressed LPs.
Just to share one experience: I have an LP of Dil movie (aamir khan & madhuri). It sounds like a pain...despite good songs, i never hear it. Is it my copy only or its a generic problem with T-series? However QSQT on T-series sounds much better.

"The burning train" is worth buying...this is one of first LPs i bought 6 months back...the song "teri nazar hai mujhpe" is a great fusion...

The leader of them all is supposed to be the OST of the movie "The Burning Train" released in 1979-80, Music by RD Burman.
Disco Diwanee (1980) and Star (OST-1981) by Nazia Hassan are also very good as the originals were mastered in the UK. Music is by Biddu.

"The burning train" is worth buying...this is one of first LPs i bought 6 months back...the song "teri nazar hai mujhpe" is a great fusion...

So you have this gem...where did you get it from and how much you shelled out for it man? Me..still to hear it.

@MKsharan: Jo jeeta wohi sikandar was a great title too that you reminded me of. I will definitely put it in my hunt list! not sure if I will get it as I have never seen this LP among the sellers.

@ Reubensm: 2.5K for an LP...there must be something special attached to it. I hope i get to hear it someday for myself to believe others that what kind of gem is "the burning train'.

btsp.jpg

burningtrainh.jpg

jjws.jpg

JJWS has great SQ. I don't understand the hype for The Burning Train. May be it's not so easily available. Sholay, Pukar, Abdullah, Kalia, Shaan .....to name a few, are all great sounding RD albums with much better songs. Try "tu maike mat jaio" from Pukar, an arrangement cum recording wonder. Listen to Shalimar, Sagar, Teri Kasam, these are all way ahead of TBT.

Out of the newer breeds Machis & Lagaan are the must have LPs. IMHO SQwise Machis Lp beats 99% of the hindi film albums.

Best Regards,

Bhaskar

Bhaskarcan has those gems in his closet. Both Ep & Lp of burning train!! I think i have never seen TBT LP with any of the sellers. Same about JJWS. About the new movie LPs, I think most of them are well cut, have quite a few of them, all sound pretty good. Only Sufiaana on sony music is a bit of disappointment. May be its a collection, thats why.

records that can amaze you, not necessarily with quality of songs but definitely with quality of recording/pressing

RDB
THE BURNING TRAIN, HUM KISISE KUM NAHEEN, IJAZAAT, MASOOM, KAUN KAISEY, SHALIMAR, SHAAN, SWAMI DADA, SITAMGAR, TERI KASAM, SANAM TERI KASAM, KARISHMAA, INAAM DUS HAZAR, DACAIT.......

EP- RED ROSE

Bappi Lahiri
DISCO DANCER, KASAM PAIDA KERNEWALE KI, TAXI CHOR, PATITA, EK BAR KAHO, SHIKSHA, FARAIB.......

Kalyanji Anandji
YUDH, VIDHATA, KALAKAR, QURBANI, LAWARIS, DON.....

Laxmikant Pyarelal
KARZ, RAJPUT, KARMA....

Rajesh Roshan
DES PARDES, LOOTMAR, MAN PASAND, JOHNY I LOVE YOU, HAMARI BAHU ALKA, EK DAKU SHAHAR MEIN, APP KE DEEWANE..........

Hemant Bhosle
BARRISTER, SANSANI, SHRADHANJALI, BANDHAN KACHHE DHAGON KA

Babla
KAISE BANI, KUCH GADBAD HAI, MEETHA ZEHAR, KHARA KHOTA, AB NA JAIBE

Jatin Lalit
JO JEETA WOHI SIKANDAR, RAJU BAN GAYA GENTLEMAN, YAARA DILDARA.....

misc
VISHWATMA, SADMA, CAR THIEF.....

there are lot lot more, BTW THE BURNING TRAIN shouldn't cost one more than 1.5K, those who are planning to buy without any delay buy as much as possible, soon hindi OST LPs are going to be antique!!!! thanks to our USD hungry sellers who are mindlessly exporting our own stuff, and we are left disgruntled

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back