Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

lets start from here friends :
http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/23708-must-rare-hindi-lp-records-collected.html
i guess from above listed titles that people here are wanting to know which lps could be heard and enjoyed just for the way it sounds from your system. regardless of the lyrics and vocals. so here i d remind you all about the songs we listen to while watching movies in multiplex. those multimillion rupee systems with great acoustics ensure that we sit through the song even if its a less heard/unpopular number. honestly how many times do we feel like shutting down our ears when such a song plays in hall??
now a real good system will work pretty much same or better. a good song will sound great. a song that u dont like will also be enjoyable. mostly due to fine musical naunces that your system can recreate and which however aren t noticed on lesser systems.
reason is simple- even your least likaeble song in a rdb or arr title was still conceived , enacted and recorded by maestros. the best in business guys. in every song, they put their blood and bones. every song is good at that level. whichever system recreates it will make you enjoy it.
i see that most people here are only referring to 'music' to their ears which is mostly foot stomping songs.
now let me describe a few individual songs that you absolutely must listen to. not mentioning the commoner/superhit ones.
Hi saket,

How about sadma, I have not heard it.

N.Murali
cbs records will generally have sharp clear highs and deeps lows. totally does justice to club music. who says vinyls are only good for midrange?
listen to 'o babua' by ashaji. kickdrums in this song are kicka** drums. a song i didn t like for ages when i had cassette of sadma and 2 in 1 decks.
on lp this song was sooo enjoyable, musical, the details, the beats reproduced faithfully.... it spellbound me. it was a song i outright disliked before this first audition.
next up, listen to yeh hawa, yeh fazaa.. the opening song in the movie. ashaji and suresh wadkar... a song i bet most of you wont recall in mind first thing when someone says 'sadma'.
now tell me whats up on platter next.

Just an after-thought :

Apart from the sound quality, almost all of the LPs listed till now have very good music too.
I would be happy to hear these even on short wave radio with all the crackling static.
ahem... !! all the tracks?? that exactly is bone of contention in this thread . which songs will u listen to even if you dont like the lyrics/singing etc etc.
Most of RDB's early 80s soundtracks sound pretty good on vinyl. My Polydor / Music India pressing of Yeh Vaada Raha is excellent
ever since he made it big, rdb was king of hiphop in his era. paid unprecedented attention to the recording /instrumentation of it all surpassing (ahem..) previous kings- laxmi-pyare. next up after him could be bappi lahri. people like biddu, ilaiya raja... list goes on and on. in fact after 60s, when pure ragas were kind of well utilized in movies, there came this genre of music directors who used instruments to make their songs cool.
Disco Dancer LP...esp the track yaad aa raha hai tera pyar has been recorded better than anything I have heard on an LP probably. Excellent Instrument clarity & vocals are as crisp as anything.
FMs Give it a try & let me know your experiences
forget it man. disco dancer =usha aiyer/uthup. koi yahan aha nache nache= club burning music anywhere.
now a few of the songs you must go down and listen to. even if you dont have the lps... -
ever heard of kenny g? especially his vocal songs where he accompanies todays best and hit artists eg. how could an angel break my heart? now multiply the fun to 10 times.ever listened to flute in real life?? live?? its spellbinding. now imagine listening to indias most coveted flute player. couple the flute with legendary lataji. add some super beatsy tabla and jhankaars of a ghunghroo.: spin a 'basant bahar' and play ' mai piya teri tu mane ya na mane'
forget songs list- this is one of this 'things to do before i die' experience. please dont wait for its lp to enjoy magic. live once before you die.
JJWS- jawan ho yaaron ye tumko hua kya. - the opening chore when you can make out every instrument joining the tune serially,clearly... this is the song that makes a blind man 'see' the stage in his room. that the song was actually shot on a stage helps.
sanam teri kasam- jaane jaan (nisha). the way your system will come alive on this yet another 'stage song'... youll feel like hugging your system in one large embrace. one of the songs to demo your system to audionoobs.
karz- paisa yeh paisa- if you dont know what terms like 'timing' and attack means, listen it here. your heartbeats will halt when kishoreda take a 'theka'.
alibaba aur 40 chor- i am hating myself for listing song that aint easy to find.
spin khatouba once. you ve listned to this one in pieces in a kishore da in the mix 10-12 yrs ago. spin this on vinyl and see what made those remix artist choose this song for their compilation. no price for guessing which one is better. my take- original=100... remix =0.1
inteqaam(1969)- do you know one sunidhi from mumbai??? chouhan??
do you know she was 13 when she won the finale of a reality singing competetion? do you know, hosted by annu kapoor- an accomplished classical singer , and grand prize awarded by latajii herself, this was a no nonsense cut throat singing competetion and no. it was not a li'l champs or a junior competetion. it was a full blown affair that had best amateur singers from india marking their presence with no seperate male-female section. sunidhi beat them all.
now do you remember what song she sang in grande finale when latajii herself was in the audience???
now do you think she chose this song at random??do you think she must ve chose the song herself without consulting her gurus and other bosses ?? do you really wonder what must have enchanted them to select that perticular song?? do you want the answer????
listen to aa jane jaan on lp. note- on LP.
muqaddar ka sikandar- pyar zindagi hai
last for today- caravan. i guess no one has listed this earlier. and i d have shot myself if i haven t mentioned this one in my very first post-
dilbar dil se pyar opens with a bell/thali kinda instrument ringing in sloe rhythm. immediately gives the feel of sitting out there in the open surrounding the belles akin to something of a desert safari night setting. further development of song entrances you there and then.
keep spinning. rafi saab sang a folk type goria kahan tera des re. want some more- piya tu ab to aaja and chadhti jawani meri chaal mastaani .. hell why should they need a description. all i can say is, cabaret by lataji. now if you wondered who sang the best ones in hindi movies.... !!!

Last edited:
All T series vinyls are worthless. Recently I bought ZABARDAST and HIFAZAAT(ANIL KAPOOR). I was shocked to find the flat and lifeless recording!

True. I think it is not T-Series problem. All T-Series records are pressed in KAPCO International. All KAPCO pressing are lifeless. Many Tamil, Telugu LPS released in late 80's in labels like ECHO, AVM, Lahari, Ragam 72 etc are also same kind and are pressed in KAPCO. Earlier ECHO, AVM records sound nice because those pressings done by Music India or CBS.

Way to go, entsurgeon !!!

Have been quietly observing a lot of comments on 'great', 'super',
'awesome' music over the past year or so. Like you hint, a lot
of these so-called "GREAT" songs are foot-tappers or, invariably,
techno-wizard crafted ones with not-so-great lyrics and, even
worse, less than standard performances by our legendary singers.

Listen to these and just reel back in awe at the 'great', 'super',
'awesome' combination of the singer, lyricist, music director
and recording technicians who created the legend

Radha na bole na bole - AZAD
Jhoole Mein Pawan Ke - BAIJU BAWRA
Saanwri Soorat MAn Bhayi - ADA
Aaja Sanam Madhur Chandni Mein - CHORI CHORI
Phaili Huyi Hai Sapnon Ki Raahen - HOUSE NO. 44
Miley Toh Phir Jhuke Nahin - AAKASH DEEP
Jo Waada Kiya Woh - TAJ MAHAL
Hum Tum Yeh Bahar - AMBAR
Aankhon Se Jo Uthri Hai Dil Mein - PHIR WAHI DIL LAYA HOON

One can keep going on and on and on....

Some of the finest songs to my mind (and soul):
1. Deewana hua badal - Kashmir ki kali
2. Aap aye to khayale dil-e nashad aya - Gumrah
3. Aadha hai chandrama raat aadhi - Navrang
4. Shyamal shyamal badan - Navrang
5. Kisi ki yaad mein duniya ko hain bhulaye hue - Jahanara
6. Fiza bhi hai jawan jawan - Nikah
7. O sajna barkha bahar ayee - Parakh
8. Aage bhi jaane na tu - Waqt
9. Mai kya janoo kya jadoo hai - By immortal K L Saigal
10. Haye gajab kahin tara toota - Tesari kasam
And many more..........

What a way this thread has turned.....

Waqt Ne Kiya Kya Haseen Sitam is amongst the best there ever was.

sigh.....no wonder 50s and 60s are called golden era of indian film music.

just see the variety of music created and performed.

Interesting. This thread has turned into great songs & singers thread rather than good vinyl pressing thread.

The list of few songs that I mentioned - they sound as if
the artistes are all performing right in front of you - live !!

If that is not the top-notch criteria of a good vinyl pressing....

So, please listen to them.

Hi All,

I would suggest some Lp's which sounds Amazing with clear Balancing of Stereo sound:

1-Bappi Lahiri's Disco Dancer.

2-Kalyanji-AnandJi's Haadsaa and Qurbani

3-R.D.Burman's Shakti

4-Laxmikant-Pyarelal's Kranti and

5-Khayyam's Noorie

Rest in my next post,till then enjoy these on Vinyl's.

Hi All,

Well, out of my collection of almost 500 odd LPs, I will vote for :

RDB :

AAZAD
ANAND AUR ANAND
ABDULLAH
ASHANTI
BASERAA
BARSAAT KI EK RAAT
BETAAB
CARVAN
DUNIYA
HUM KISISE KUM NAHIN
HARJAEE
JAWAANI
JHUTHA SACH
KUDRAT
KAALIA
LAVA
LOVERS
MAHAAN
MANZIL MANZIL
MERE JEEVAN SAATHI
NAMKEEN
PUKAR
QAYAMAT
RAHI BADAL GAYE
ROCKY
ROMANCE
SATTE PE SATTA
SHOLAY
SITAMGAR
SAAGAR
SHAAN
SANAM TERI KASAM
SHAUKEEN
SHAKTI
SHALIMAR
SWAMI DADA
SAVERAY WALI GAADI
TERI KASAM
THE BURNING TRAIN
YEH WADA RAHA
YAADON KI BAARAT
ZAMAANE KO DIKHANA HAI

Rajesh Roshan :
DOOSARA AADMI
DUNIYA MERI JEB MEIN
DES PARDES
JULIE
KAALA PATTHAR
KHUDDAR
MR. NATWARLAL
YAARANA

Khayyam :

AHISTA AHISTA
NOORIE
RAZIA SULTAN

LP :
BANDISH
BABU
HERO
JAANI DUSHMAN
KARZ
KARTAVYA
KRANTI
RAJPUT
RAM LAKHAN
SAUDAGAR

Bappi Lahiri :

ARMAAN
DISCO DANCER
NAMAK HALAAL
SHARAABI
SAHEB

Kalyanji Anandji :

DON
HAADSAA
PIGHALTA AASMAN
QURBAANI
VIDHAATA

Shiv Hari :

SILSILA

Ravi :

NIKAAH

If I have to rate the best in all above, its SHALIMAR..! In 70s, it was the first LP to have such stereo effects. Luckily I got a mint copy of it and its a treat to listen it every time..!

Laxmi Pyare LPs are the best for Subhash Ghai's movies, and the best in it is KARZ..!:)

Hi All,

If I have to rate the best in all above, its SHALIMAR..! In 70s, it was the first LP to have such stereo effects. Luckily I got a mint copy of it and its a treat to listen it every time..!

Laxmi Pyare LPs are the best for Subhash Ghai's movies, and the best in it is KARZ..!:)

In my opinion The Burning Train is one notch higher than Shalimar in sound reproduction. In mono sound Mela, Saans Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, Madhosh are also very nice.

Hi Sourav,

I fully agree with you. The Burning Train LP I purchased in my college days and may have listened it thousand times, as this was one of the best LPs I had at that point of time.

At that time, I had Shalimar EP but recently got one mint copy from my brother in law. Looking into the age of LP in 70s, when stereo was emerging, this was a classic LP launched and I am amazed by listening it's sound production. In 1979, The Burning Train launched and it's sound is with better technological developments no doubt creates wonder still. And it may be hangover of listening Shalimar now and wondering about its sound after 40 years.:)

Regards,

RAVI

Hi Sourav,

I fully agree with you. The Burning Train LP I purchased in my college days and may have listened it thousand times, as this was one of the best LPs I had at that point of time.

At that time, I had Shalimar EP but recently got one mint copy from my brother in law. Looking into the age of LP in 70s, when stereo was emerging, this was a classic LP launched and I am amazed by listening it's sound production. In 1979, The Burning Train launched and it's sound is with better technological developments no doubt creates wonder still. And it may be hangover of listening Shalimar now and wondering about its sound after 40 years.:)

Regards,

RAVI

What I find about Shalimar LP stereo is that - the sound is a bit low, normalized and has extreme clarity. Even if a song like "Aaina Wohin Rehta Hain" by Lata M which is a loud dholak based song never seemed to hit my ear as that leather coated instrument sounds very smooth. The title music and dance music are extremely silky as well.

Swami Dada, Anand Aur Anand stereo are very nice. If you listen to Kaun Kaise in mono sound, you will be amazed. However my recommendation is that do not switch you amp to mono while listening to mono LPs post 1975. Because the vinyl cut must have been done in stereo lathe but the recording was mono. Extremely my opinion though.

There are a few Hindi pop LPs in 80s recorded in studios abroad which are having a good sound. Some of them talk of 24 channel recordings being done in London like Superuna (by Runa Laila).

What's opinion of FMs on these?

My opinion is that the quality of the recordings are often better than the songs Ha Ha

There are a few Hindi pop LPs in 80s recorded in studios abroad which are having a good sound. Some of them talk of 24 channel recordings being done in London like Superuna (by Runa Laila).

What's opinion of FMs on these?

My opinion is that the quality of the recordings are often better than the songs Ha Ha

Disco Diwane, Young Tarang, Star are a few examples. These are really nice sounding LPs.

New bee here....
Any body heard "Sagai" by C. Ramchandra.....
Mohabaat mein aise zamane bhi aaye..... You can hear Talat breathing...What a great recording it is.....
And how about 'Mousam pyar ka' from Sitamgar....R D number....
Usually PEASD type LP's by HMV were worth buying as producers spent some money on their music fidelity too...

Last edited by a moderator:
New bee here....
And how about 'Mousam pyar ka' from Sitamgar....R D number....
Usually PEASD type LP's by HMV were worth buying as producers spent some money on their music fidelity too...

Sitamgar is superb pressing. Meri Tarah Allah Kare by Asha B and Kishore Kumar (Side 1, second song) recording is excellent. Though it's a mono sound.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back