Gypsum board as low frequency absorber?

My listening chair is against the rear wall. This results in relatively strong bass at that position, although the bass a little further into the room towards the speakers is more balanced. Someone advised me to use gypsum board on the rear wall. It works! And if I leave an air gap between the board and the concrete wall it works even better. Better than rock wool.

Would like to know if any of you have experience with gypsum boards. Any information on the acoustic properties of gypsum boards will also be useful - does it absorb specific frequencies, etc. And what is the air gap doing?

Thanks

Explains a bit about the air gap. Cheers.

Explains a bit about the air gap. Cheers.
Great information, thanks. What I hear in my room is completely in line with what the video says. The air gap helps absorb low frequency without absorbing midrange which is exactly what i intend.
My subjective listening experience says this:
Gypsum board 12mm with 70mm air gap provided better low frequency absorption, without affecting midrange, than rockwool 60mm.

Great information, thanks. What I hear in my room is completely in line with what the video says. The air gap helps absorb low frequency without absorbing midrange which is exactly what i intend.
My subjective listening experience says this:
Gypsum board 12mm with 70mm air gap provided better low frequency absorption, without affecting midrange, than rockwool 60mm.
But rockwool with low density will give even better or rockwool sheets with air gaps. Its a simple curve between absorption and air flow that decides the same. There was a similar discussion earlier and we had shared the graph for the same too.

But rockwool with low density will give even better or rockwool sheets with air gaps. Its a simple curve between absorption and air flow that decides the same. There was a similar discussion earlier and we had shared the graph for the same too.
I understand. But in practice, rockwool didn't work for me. Moreover, gypsum board is only 12mm thick. The rest is air. I guess densities and product specs come into play too, so finally I'll let my ears decide :)

Sir, there are cork sheets available like the one below:

These can be placed on the wall behind you and can be covered with cloth as well if you don't like the look of natural cork...

not an expert.. free online gyaan :)

read somewhere air is the best bad conductor in acoustic setups. Customized rooms have a room within room with a gap. Therefore, no wonder you are seeing benefits. As for gypsum board, based on my limited understanding, the very reason it is popular in office setups, especially big ones as it helps reduce echo, to the point that in combination with carpet, it almost deadens sound.

In my limited understanding, Absorbtion should be complemented with diffusion.

Last edited:
Gypsum boards can act as a bass absorber, not like a porus absorber rather like a panel absorber, provided the screws are wide enough to help in flexing. The freq range depends on the resonant frequency of the board.

Think out loud here, could these Gypsum boards also act as a good speaker cabinet damping material?

Gypsum boards can act as a bass absorber, not like a porus absorber rather like a panel absorber, provided the screws are wide enough to help in flexing. The freq range depends on the resonant frequency of the board.
I am not sure how it will work as a panel absorber. Gypsum is a porous material with an absorption coefficient of less than 0.1.
Think out loud here, could these Gypsum boards also act as a good speaker cabinet damping material?
For speaker cabinets, I think you need to use MDF/hardwood and enough bracing. Not sure if Gypsum boards will have the strength to hold multiple drivers.

I am not sure how it will work as a panel absorber. Gypsum is a porous material with an absorption coefficient of less than 0.1.

For speaker cabinets, I think you need to use MDF/hardwood and enough bracing. Not sure if Gypsum boards will have the strength to hold multiple drivers.
What I intended to ask was Gypsum being used a lining material inside the cabinets to absorb resonances, not as the material with which one constructs the cabinets itself.

Yes, it can flex and a panel absorber uses this flex to absorb sound when that flex is absorbed to a soft material with a tuned reverse force from the back side. Its not like normal porous absorbers

@Fiftyfifty Hi, any update on the gypsum board purchase and installation ?
I would be very interested to find out if you managed to incorporate these into your listening room and how did you go about it, if at all.
Cheers.

@AudioGugu It has worked well for me.

Before trying out the Gypsum Board, I had used 2" thick rockwool panels which did not do anything. I had read about Gypsum Board acoustic properties and decided to give it a go. I bought 2 panels of 4' x 8' each and placed them against the back wall in 3 ways - Flush against the wall, with a 2 " rockwool panel between the wall and the Board and lastly with nothing but a 1" airgap between the wall and the panel. The last option worked best. The bass boom reduced by over 50 percent which was good enough for me and better than what I could achieve with other simple options. Being satisfied with the result, I then had a carpenter make a 1" thick wooden frame and mounted the gypsum board on the frame, followed by putti/painting and all. Pictures attached. I am considering getting an artist to paint something directly on the panel.
The experiment is inexpensive - you get the panels for a few hundred rupees and place them to test the results before permanently fixing them.
Best wishes
Gypsum Board 1.jpgGypsum 2.jpg

@AudioGugu It has worked well for me.

Before trying out the Gypsum Board, I had used 2" thick rockwool panels which did not do anything. I had read about Gypsum Board acoustic properties and decided to give it a go. I bought 2 panels of 4' x 8' each and placed them against the back wall in 3 ways - Flush against the wall, with a 2 " rockwool panel between the wall and the Board and lastly with nothing but a 1" airgap between the wall and the panel. The last option worked best. The bass boom reduced by over 50 percent which was good enough for me and better than what I could achieve with other simple options. Being satisfied with the result, I then had a carpenter make a 1" thick wooden frame and mounted the gypsum board on the frame, followed by putti/painting and all. Pictures attached. I am considering getting an artist to paint something directly on the panel.
The experiment is inexpensive - you get the panels for a few hundred rupees and place them to test the results before permanently fixing them.
Best wishes
View attachment 63770View attachment 63771
Fabulous. Looks good & does the job. Thanks for sharing pictures.

Hi
I have a room size of 21x16.5 feet with 11 feet ceiling height.

Room was equipped with Sonus Faber, Tube amp and DAC with old Nakamichi rack. Room was filled with distortion phase noise, low frequency standing waves. Carpet with underlay and roof with mineral ceiling contribute a minor role but still not satisfied. Room was resonating at frequency of 26 to 30 Hz for three to four seconds delay rest of the frequencies were under control. Lot of efforts made but finally I decided to get help from consultant who made large cinema and have experience of controlling low frequencies. They suggested to come up with gypsum sound boards with small holes in sheets.
Ohh. What a fine treatment. It removed all standing waves and made the audio room very quite and the faintest audio note were appear in music. Blues are so relaxing. Rarely the songs of Lata, Mehdi Hassan seems me performing right in the middle.
It's a wonderful experience.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back