Gypsum board as low frequency absorber?

Are these wooden tiles?
No not wooden, but the texture & feel is like wood, they are made of SPC. They are installed in a click lock manner, installers spread a layer of foam beneath and then place it over your existing floor, done in a few hrs, ready to use. I guess the airgap beneath the tiles also helps in acoustics of the room

No not wooden, but the texture & feel is like wood, they are made of SPC. They are installed in a click lock manner, installers spread a layer of foam beneath and then place it over your existing floor, done in a few hrs, ready to use. I guess the airgap beneath the tiles also helps in acoustics of the room
Wow. That looks great and yeah I think the foam and air gap might be helping with the acoustics.

A quick search brought forth that the density of the Gypsum board is about 668 kg/m3.
and SPC is 2000 kgs/m3. I don't understand how a hard surface such as this is absorbing sound. I'm not contesting your experience with it, just curious to know how this works.

Here's a study on sound absorption using Polyurethane Foam with an air gap. Observed to be ineffective below 250hz.

When I jnstalled a laminated floor on top of my vitrified floor, they too had a foam damping below them, the instant benefit I found was my measured mid- bass response became flat from 100 hz to 800 hz. Earlier there use to be a 15dB dip at 150 Hz which were not getting tamed

A quick search brought forth that the density of the Gypsum board is about 668 kg/m3.
and SPC is 2000 kgs/m3. I don't understand how a hard surface such as this is absorbing sound. I'm not contesting your experience with it, just curious to know how this works.

Here's a study on sound absorption using Polyurethane Foam with an air gap. Observed to be ineffective below 250hz.
I agree with what you say but i have experienced a room first without and then with the wooden looking tiles. Its almost like a mini bass suckout. Same room, same system, same cables, same walls, same paint, same ceiling, etc…..

I have no idea about the physics part of it..I found it out by accident...but I guess sometimes not everything works as per theory :) .... Am glad it worked for me and I can see other FM's have faced the same experience too

My take on it is that may be since the tiles are not glued or fixed, and they have micro gaps at edges, they are free to vibrate, and they somehow resonate at some frequencies which somehow works as a membrance bass trap....I'm no expert, just a wild theory

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back