JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

These recordings sound fabulous. All of Bollywood before 1975 was mono. Majority of them after 1975 is also mono.

In fact if you listen to Beatles albums, many of them are in mono. Few are available in mono and stereo. While stereo gives you more separation, the mono sounds far superior.

The song you mentioned Ramayyiya sounds good in mono

These recordings sound fabulous. All of Bollywood before 1975 was mono. Majority of them after 1975 is also mono.

In fact if you listen to Beatles albums, many of them are in mono. Few are available in mono and stereo. While stereo gives you more separation, the mono sounds far superior.

The song you mentioned Ramayyiya sounds good in mono
If I come to Mumbai, I am barging in
Cheers,
Raghu

Lately I've been listening to 20s-30s music
I've kinda realized (no real tech explanation to back this), music entertains in the simplest of formats.

Mono/Stereo/Analog/Digital doesn't matter.
The content needs to connect, if it does you are there :)
Simplification has been a humbling experience.

Cheers,
Raghu

AudioGuru and Cableman were at my place last evening.

It was an evening of anecdotes on Indian classical music.

AudioGuru is a walking talking encyclopaedia of Indian classical music.

It was fascinating understanding from AudioGuru why he likes visiting hifi exhibitions and fellow audiophile homes. He feels listening to various systems improves his listening skills. To him its like visiting art museums. You visit museums to appreciate the finer nuances of a Rembrandt or a Van Gogh. To him listening to music too is a form of art. This thought really resonated with me.

His listening skills, as we all know, is legendary. Helped Cableman and me to fine tune speaker placement. Speakers had to be pulled forward by a couple of cms to allow bass to breathe more freely and not ride on the highs.

Thanks guys for coming over.

To more such evenings.:)

I had the pleasure of being invited to Mr. Prm's house on Sunday.
I reached a bit earlier than I was called. On a Bike & reduced traffic.
It was a great start.
We talked for a while - general & Bollywood LP's etc.
Very informative.
I learnt a lot. Angel - 1st Press etc.
Then JS came & we started to listen.
I have been wanting to visit & listen to the Tekton - but that never happened.
So the Legendary 4343 [JBL] was a great opportunity.
My knowledge / exposure to, and understanding on Vintage Hi Fi is really very limited.
Its never there [present] @ the Hi Fi Shows I attend. Hence not exposed to it.
This visit was great.
I liked the evening we spent.
The SM was 'special' [I had never had it - nor had I heard of it]
Mr. Prem is a great host - took excellent care of us.
The Set up - is clean. The PRAT is very high on this set up.
I wished there was more music of my preference - but I am not into
LP's so I could not take anything to listen.
But, what I heard was nice. The Stevie Ray Vaughn was brilliant - Tin Pan Alley.
Indian Classical was good - just wish I had more time to listen more intently.
I do hope that Mr. Prem keeps this window open for me to visit once in a
while - it would be nice for me to learn & experience a different take on Hi Fi.
I thank JS too - for making this happen.
Thank You Mr. Prem. I appreciate your time & kind hospitality.
Stay Well & Stay Blessed.

Bhawgan
Mumbai

ofd3pj.jpg

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 23.43.07 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2019-04-14 at 23.43.07 (1).jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hi Bhagwan

Hopefully I will have more Indian classical LPs the next time you come

Also working on two areas. One I would like to bypass the crossover switch. Two, would like to raise the speakers by around 5 inches to isolate them. Right now they are coupled to the floor which adds a bit of resonance and affects the bass a bit

Also wanted to add that the Indian classical lp you heard was being played the first time. According to vinyl experts it’s always nice to play a lp on your system two to three times before it starts to sound optimal. This has something to do with the needle finding it’s way around the grooves.

Last edited:
Nice ! this is one conversation i would have liked to be part of ..as a sponge just soaking it all in !

Hi Bhagwan

Hopefully I will have more Indian classical LPs the next time you come

Also working on two areas. One I would like to bypass the crossover switch. Two, would like to raise the speakers by around 5 inches to isolate them. Right now they are coupled to the floor which adds a bit of resonance and affects the bass a bit

Also wanted to add that the Indian classical lp you heard was being played the first time. According to vinyl experts it’s always nice to play a lp on your system two to three times before it starts to sound optimal. This has something to do with the needle finding it’s way around the grooves.

Nice plan. Almost all speakers sound better when the cabinet is isolated from the floor. Looking forward to your report.

Big thanks to JLS and Bhagwan for the report. If possible, do write about how different they are from modern deigns. Sound wise. Key areas.

Hi Bhagwan
Sir,
Perfect;
Both things may go a long way.
Thermacole or Soup Cans to start before you make the actual stand.
The X-Over 'By Pass' - too - super idea.
Kindly work on it & once in place & 'tuned' do let me know. I would love to revisit for a session.
Much Appreciate the hospitality.
Bhagwan

I am not sure about the peculiarities of vintage jbl cabinetry but this product from ISO acoustics may be a good idea.

Hi square_wave, I have lived with Tekton DI SE and JBL 4343 for some time now, so will try and answer your query.

Tekton is a modern design. It’s more neutral than the JBL. The JBL, like most good 70s designs, adds a touch of mid bass warmth. Result is JBL is more forgiving of recordings than Tekton. JBL does not add as much mid bass warmth as a vintage Tannoy though.

Coming to audiophile traits, Tekton images and stages better like most good modern designs too. It’s more precise than the JBL. For a vintage design, the JBL is not bad though.

Coming to musicality, I personally like the JBL better than the Tekton. It’s more dynamic, more alive, more organic.

Tekton is easier to place in the room as compared to the JBL. I don’t know if it’s because of the vintage design or because of the 15 inch woofer, the JBL loads the room a bit differently. The bass can very easily mess up the mids and highs. You need to give it enough room to breathe. The Tektons in comparison don’t seem to have this problem even though it goes a bit lower in bass than the JBL.

To sum it up, JBL is a fun speaker which puts an end to dissection and analysis when listening to music whereas the Tekton is more of an audiophile speaker

I am sure Bhagwan and jls001 can provide you more insights since they have heard a lot many more modern designs than me

Last edited:
Hi square_wave, I am looking at steel stands. Magma will be making it for me. This is once I have finalised what height the stands should be.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back