JBL 4343 coming soon to Mumbai

Great weekend listening sessions and insights.

For isolation of my subwoofer from floor, I have placed them on carrom coins+ marbles. This makes them less coupled to the floor

Thanks Hari for the suggestion. An looking at something more stable. Also looking at a mass loading option since that’s supposed to work better with my speakers

Am looking at making one of mild steel. Each stand is likely to weigh around 60-70 kgs

Yes Prem, my box is only around 15 kg and so it works for me. You will need something more robust.

Thanks Hari for the suggestion. An looking at something more stable. Also looking at a mass loading option since that’s supposed to work better with my speakers

Am looking at making one of mild steel. Each stand is likely to weigh around 60-70 kgs

Please do check the Soundcare spikes from Norway. I am using them under almost all my equipments. My amp (Karan Acoustics) came with it (that is what generated my interest) and then finally have them under my Tekton DI and DAC. I have even installed them under my friend's Tekton heavy subwoofers too for good isolation.

Thanks for the suggestion Bornfi. The JBLs have to raised by 5-7.5 inches. So will need a mini stand. BTW, I have used Soundcare spikes in the past.

Interesting article

Nice read Prem..
The following stood out to me
How has the sound of speakers changed over the years? Many yearn for the speakers of the past over those of today… what has changed? Distortion, materials, focus on sound characteristics?

Speakers have generally become smoother, more 3-dimensional and much smaller. This means that they are less dynamic on the whole and rather toy like compared to good stuff from the 60s and 70s. Unlike electronics, miniaturization is not a good thing with loudspeakers. There is no substitute for size and horsepower. Nothing much has changed with the laws of physics in the last 100 years so what it takes to make dynamic life-like sound is unchanged. There have been some advances in magnet materials and a bunch of progress in adhesives but not much else. The cost of a 70s system in today's economy would be considered unaffordable and the system would be deemed unnecessarily huge. The large highly efficient systems of old came at a time when 15 – 30 watts of power was the norm. Today's stuff would choke on those amplifiers.

Audiopro, it was great having you over last evening. As you rightly mentioned, it’s very easy to drop from Level 3 to Level 2 by introducing some tweaks which might enhance a few audiophile traits but at the expense of musicality. Will remember this. :)

Naturelover, above is link to Audiopro thread and his interpretation of level 1, 2 and 3 systems

Write up on the setup.

Few new "gears" in the setup:

1/ phono preamp:

2/ opened for tube rolling. The stock 12AX7 tubes (three) were replaced with NOS Telefunkens:

3/ new stands from Sound foundations for the JBL 4343:

4/ Step Up transformer (SUT) from EMT
I forgot to take photos but basically it involved disconnecting the tonearm cable of the EMT 950 and connecting a new, custom made tonearm cable meant for the SUT (7-pin DIN type connector at the base of the tonearm, and two RCAs at the SUT end). The output of the SUT goes to the EAR 834P phono stage which is an MM phono stage.

Prem has also changed his amplifier from the 8Watt Berning OTL tubed amp to a low powered vintage integrated (a serious downgrade in terms of price band).

The sound with the new additions, namely, 5 inch stand for speakers (about 70 kg each side), SUT-phono stage combo, and the new integrated amp, is really enjoyable. The stock EAR-supplied 12AX7 tubes has a very holographic, though coloured, sound. Changing to NOS Telefunkens made the sound very neutral (to my ears), and made the sound very natural sounding. "Giorgio by Moroder" from Daft Punk's Random Access Memory literally sounded like Mr Moroder was speaking in the room. It sounded uncannily real. The Telefunkens didn't lose the holographic nature of the stock tubes. In fact the quality of bass improved with the Telefunkens. My favourite bass test track "Tin Pan Alley" by Stevie Ray Vaughan sounded just amazing. The sound stage height was definitely aided by the stands.

Great set of changes which are definite upgrades and not side-wise moves.

Attachments

• IMG-20190622-WA0030.jpg
    IMG-20190622-WA0030.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 11
Thanks Joshua for helping connect the new phono and for uploading the pictures :)

Hi Sunand777, I am in between amps. I sold my Berning and looking for a new amp to replace it.

The vintage integrated amp that jls001 was referring to is a stop gap arrangement. It’s actually not an integrated amp. It’s an all in one amp cum CD player cum tuner. It’s part of the Denon mini component series of late 90s.

Fiftyfifty, am looking at several options

1. LAMM pre and LAMM monoblocs.
2. Ayon Crossfire 3 integrated
3. Airtight 300R
4. Berning 811 ZOTL SET

I am inclined towards the LAMM but it’s three huge pieces of equipment which may not find approval since my system is in the living room.

My system is playing at a very satisfactory level so if none of the options work out, will stick to my Denon

Fiftyfifty, the Denon all in one mini is a true jewel. In the right system it could be end game for most. There are many amps which will be more resolving, have better extremes, have better transparency, pull out more details, etc, but when it comes to musicality it’s tough to beat this one.

Garrard 401/301/ Lenco75/Technics SP10/Thorens 124/EMT plus EAR 834 with Telefunken tubes + Denon mini + Vintage JBL/Tannoys/Altec/Klipschorn + Radio Shack ic and speaker cable could be end game for most. This will not be the ultimate in resolution but hard to beat for a real feel of music.

If going digital, replace turntable and phono with Esoteric/CEC transport plus a good dac, ideally tube, if using with Denon mini

Am not sure how the Denon mini will work with modern speakers though. I believe the design of the amp is from late 50s. Denon had designed it for their broadcast business. They used this design in the mini series because of space constraints.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back