Let's discuss:Why did Samsung drop the price of their flagship plasma 51E8000 by 30%?

sammydude

Was wondering why Samsung dropped the price of Plasma 51" E8000 by 30%.

1) Does Samsung intend to do more sales than Panny ST50 this festive season?
Is it a marketing strategy?

2) Is it because of poor sales of 51E8000 and they want to clear existing stock?

3) Why didn't they drop the price of PS51E550? It's hovering at 78K.
People will definitely prefer a series 8 plasma to a series 5.

Any guesses/answers? :)

Last edited:
Re: Let's discuss:Why did Samsung drop the price of their flagship plasma 51E8000 by

Topic definitely worth discussing. I had trouble getting the e550 for 75K during olympics and had to settle on a XT50:mad:

Re: Let's discuss:Why did Samsung drop the price of their flagship plasma 51E8000 by

Yeah. I can understand. I was looking around that time too for E550, hoping to get a price less than 75K!

Not to forget the freebies this time! Samsung Galaxy Tab + extra 2 free 3D glasses. As if we weren't already spoilt! :)
E8000 is screaming in big letters! "BUY ME" :)

Definitely trying to eat in to Panasonic's share of the pie when it comes to Plasmas. There are hardly any other brand options when in it comes to Plasmas.

With stiff competition from other brands in the LED/LCD space, this move will definitely help their overall sales when it comes to the HDTV space.

Now to the most important question of all, are we buying the E8000 over the ST50 this festive season? I for one haven't still decided. Still can't make up my stupid mind :(

does it mean samsung not ruling out plasma technology in future? as some rumours panny will stop plasma.

Whatever the reason, I hope Samsung wipes out the floor with Panasonic. The ridiculous prices for Panasonic plasmas (compared to those available abroad) is daylight robbery. Unfortunately some of us will have to give in to get what we want.

EU and US states are enforcing strict power consumption norms for TVs. E8000 is a power hungry. Is Samsung diverting stocks from EU and US into India?
(OR) Is Samsung liquidating any minor defective pieces ?

wondering anything wrong with E8000. With no extended warranty available for samsung plasmas, not sure how to take this offer :)

Does any shop sell it at 78k. I checked few places, they are all talking 90k..

Go for extended warranty with Bajaj Finance. For 2 years it's 4.5K. It's the same as what manufacturer gives for the 1st year. It's applicable only if you take the TV through finance scheme.

No extended warranty means high defect rates historically

Warranty is a statistics driven policy...A company would only provide warranty on products with fairly good record. May be historically Samsung recorded high defect rates for plasma.

Why extended warranty is introduced by them for led or LCD and not for plasmas.
This is my take on the above thanks to their own policy of not providing extended coverage for plasmas.

I think sammy might be thinking of winding up its plasma line in 3 years.
If thats the case , it cannot service an extended warranty - in the case a Plasma panel goes kaput.

So the lack of extended warranty cannot be seen as a lack of quality itself, after all e8000 is a top of the line plasma reviewed and received well in international markets since its introduction.

but lack of extended warranty is a pain in the backside for sure - bajaj finserv is offering only one more year of warranty, making a total of 2yrs and that too at select outlets.
I was thinking 3 years warranty is a must for investment of this size.
ohh well :( choices choices !!

But gents, the new lot of Plasmas being imported by Panasonic - will they retail at a lesser price ?
after all the rupee has appreciated well in the last one month from 56 to 53

so 1500usd x 3 = atleast 5k shaved off import cost just like that + plasma has to compete with the well marketed LED/LCDs this diwali (so there is price pressure).

Last edited:

but lack of extended warranty is a pain in the backside for sure - bajaj finserv is offering only one more year of warranty, making a total of 2yrs and that too at select outlets.
I was thinking 3 years warranty is a must for investment of this size.
ohh well :( choices choices !!

FYI. Had mentioned in my previous update too. Bajaj Finserv is giving extended warranty for 2 years at 4.5K. So, effectively we can get 3 years warranty on Samsung Plasmas. :)

Sammydude,
thats great if its for 1+2 years, i thought your previous post was saying 1+1, lol and the site too mentioned a 1 year additional warranty

Now if they are giving 2 yrs additional warranty for 4.5k tahts a nice deal in itself :)

Extended Warranty - Bajaj Finserv Lending - Opt for loans & term insurance services

Now, with all your consumer durables purchases, you can opt for an additional one year warranty, over and above the manufacturers warranty. Whats more, you can pay for the Extended Warranty through our convenient 0% interest EMI options.

Extended Warranty covers the cost of repair/ replacement of the consumer durable appliance (i.e. insured asset) arising out of unforeseen defects in material or workmanship within the Policy Period. Wherein Policy Period is defined as 12 months, commencing after expiry of manufacturers product warranty period.

Sum Insured of the insured asset is equal to the Invoice price

Maximum claim payment under the policy is equal to the Sum Insured

Repair services are to be performed at authorized service centres only. For a list of service centres, check out the section on Service Centres

the list of products covered under the Extended Warranty program are:

Is this offer available in any shop at Hyderabad ?

Almost all the places (Samsung Plazas, dealers like Bajaj Electronics etc) offer finance option via Bajaj Finserv. The extended warranty option can be availed at the time of purchase.

Given that I recently faced "blinking power light of death" on my year old Panny although it runs on very clean power, I would highly recommend extended warranty. I would have felt very helpless if I didn't get support from Panny more so since paid-repair costs a bomb. As well spares are not easy to get and DIY fix is not everybody's cup of tea.

Any good shop with 51E8000 offer in Hyderabad ?

2 days back I dropped a mail to samsung inquiring abt the extended warranty on Plasma.
Today I have received a call from them confirming 3 year extended warranty is available on Plasma models and rates can be confirmed from service center.

Plasma TV Samsung: I contacted Service center head. He is unaware of Extended warranty for Plasma.

2 days back I dropped a mail to samsung inquiring abt the extended warranty on Plasma.
Today I have received a call from them confirming 3 year extended warranty is available on Plasma models and rates can be confirmed from service center.
Can you throw some more light on this? How we can get extended warranty?
Is it given at time of delivery by dealers or company itself..??
As authorised dealers are unaware of this..
As I am planning to buy 2 Samsung plasmas this week, I am definitely interested for availing extended warranty for maximum period..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back