Lets talk about blurays--movies/ scenes/audio/pq /repeat values

Yes long overdue, we need to do a mini-HFV Blu-ray meet soon, even KonFuSed was interested. We can meet up at my place or anyplace you guys decide.The usual suspects aneelr, sud98, KonFused, aneelr, myself and maybe one more person who may be interested. More than 6 in Subhash's HT and mine gets crowded. Anytime weekend except this one, this weekend I will be busy hooking up and tweaking my UMC-1 which BTW should reach me tomorrow:).

Yeah, I might be busy this Sunday but Saturday I'm free. And again for next weekend (sunday) I've an assignment but I might get stuck on Saturday too for the groundwork for the assignment. After that I should be free. Anyway,let's plan and see when we can meet up..

Yes long overdue, we need to do a mini-HFV Blu-ray meet soon, even KonFuSed was interested. We can meet up at my place or anyplace you guys decide.The usual suspects aneelr, sud98, KonFused, aneelr, myself and maybe one more person who may be interested. More than 6 in Subhash's HT and mine gets crowded. Anytime weekend except this one, this weekend I will be busy hooking up and tweaking my UMC-1 which BTW should reach me tomorrow:).

shudnt have planned my trip this week (sat):mad:
and i wud be done fixing up the emo along with you , am sure we wud have gone missing in our respective ht rooms on sat and sunday:lol:
do write up on the performance will be eager to know

just hoping that the protection mode doesnt kick in as early as the onkyo!!!:mad: once am back lets sit down with the BDs that started this issue with the onkyo ,finger crossed with the emo, lets see

Last edited:
Hi Friends,
Most of Us when comes to buying Blu rays mostly lean towards action/War movies , High CGI movies or animation. I wanted to add some Romatic Comedies in my collection in the lines of Hitch, 50 First dates...Run away bride.Could you guys help me with some nice titles which really should be in ones Blu Ray collection?

Thanks
Satya

You will find a BD reviewers database out here which you can pick romantic movies that you like

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1029348

There is another thread on PQ and SQ which you can also use for reference.

Although, you are right the need for a BD seems more obvious in an action/sci-fi movie. For a romantic movie, I guess the PQ is more important unless its a musical.

Hi Friends,
Most of Us when comes to buying Blu rays mostly lean towards action/War movies , High CGI movies or animation. I wanted to add some Romatic Comedies in my collection in the lines of Hitch, 50 First dates...Run away bride.Could you guys help me with some nice titles which really should be in ones Blu Ray collection?

Thanks
Satya

Hi,

Try Vicky Cristina Barcelona, very good PQ/SQ. Good story. Very good background score(ie. if you like spanish music). Nice supporting performance by Penelope Cruz.

cheers.

P.S:- I've the 1080p ripped version and it's really good, will be ordering the BD by this month end.

Subhash,

I think a lot of the movies do not have a BD version yet. For example, When Harry meets Sally is not in Blu ray yet.

The newer titles are there like Valentine's Day, Its Complicated, The 40 year old virgin, The proposal and The Notebook. Try this link, however it only allows romance or comedy and you will need to also check the sub-genre.

Blu-ray.com - Romance Blu-ray Movies and Releases

Thanks Aneel. Its on the list along with The Other Boleyn Girl.
Suggest me more titles on this genre.

memoires of giesha, very good on blu ray disc my favourite romantic film, colors very excellent ,but film become very emotional and touching

saw these two movies over the weekend on rental

Legion Blu-ray

nothing much to talk abt this as a movie ,but it definetly provides all the big bangs its intended to do , theres tremendous blasts and neverending gun shots that rock , background score is simply amazing that will sure leave you asking for more, audio on DTS HD MA is rocking ,the backround score @ the end of the movie is just too good and sure to make u hit the rewind button .Onthe whole recomended for rental

Edge of Darkness Blu-ray

fantastic video transfer and Audio on DTS HD MA , indeed an edge of the seat thriller, Mel Gibson comes out with a superb performance
definetly worth buying if a fan of Mel gibson.

Last edited:
I saw a few of my newly ordered movies. But was blown away the visual impact of Apocalypto

The scenes in the Amazon are really beautiful and even more impressive than the Planet Earth's Amazon scenes.

I would like to see how they compare to Avatar's visual imagery.

I have heard a lot of good things about Apocalypto and have been meaning to see it since it first released a few years back. It has got some very rave reviews.

King Kong: Blu-ray Review: King Kong (2005) | High-Def Digest
It got excellent Video and Audio for BD, thats the saving grace.Casting is another plus.
Otherwise as a movie its bit boring I really struggled to finish the movie which is 200mins.I think this is the only Hollywood movie where director took more than one hour to introduce the title character. Too many subplots and characters mars the interest.Nevertheless Fans of King Kong will be floored by this BD.

Quantum of Solace:Blu-ray Review: Quantum of Solace | High-Def Digest
Technically this is one of the best bond movie.Many won't agree the same for the movie.This movie got distinctive Cinematography for a bond movie.Personally this is one of my favorite action Movie. BD is excellent in all departments. Every action scene got a repeat value in BD.This a MUST in BD collection.

Thanks
Satya.

Maghadeera---- Telugu Blu Ray - Released by Sri balaji Video- Watched with courtesy from Idlebrain.-

I called some close friends and families who are from AP and they love to see maghadeera in full HD....

I really expected a lot in this movie for the hype created and one of the super hit/blockbuster of the last year..

It is really crafted well with a mix of lot of english/tamil/telugu movies and presented for the latest movie goers.

The movie started of well and paced good and fall apart in the category of Masala entertainer once the front bench dance was inserted in the last... No doubt all we need the masala, but sparing that song, the movie is good and nodoubt Ramcharan made his father proud to be the next star rising.

ah! I forgot this thread for scenes and audio....... Audio is great with LPCM with 5.1 uncompressed audio and rocks and mix was good comparing other releases in tollywood. Dont want to compare the hollywood, long way to go.

Regarding the Video, i am Ok with it but still disappointment is there and it lacks the depth and some scenes fade out in the backround and still i can say lot of improvement is required from Sri Balaji... But it is a good effort as an second release. However for normal viewing without critic eye the transfer is good except some few scenes anybody can point out.

Yes, the movie has repeat value for some scenes and have great graphics done... But.......

Thanks for Idlebrain for the courtesy and love the movie and enjoyed the evening with my friends and families. Thatz it needed at end of the day.

Last edited:
true some scenes of maghadeera in BD (a very few) are fading out ,this is there in the dvd also--but rightly said at the end of the movie fady scenes during authoring is forgotten coz it makes up in other departments especially the audio, IMO sribalaji is way ahead of most bollywood companys

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back