New Plasma by Panasonic - Viera P42G10 (Launched in India)

hey!
i just checked out.. x10 in my city..
basically not a big difference.. compared to pv8/80
pv8 consumes.. 325w and new x10 consumes 285w(42'')

but when v compare to lcds in same genre they consume approx.. 200w

so not a major difference in pv8 and x10 in terms of power..!

Well their will not be much difference as it is the same old panel with improved circuitry and does not have the new Neo Panels which consumer less power and are coming in the G10 series.Also the thickness of the neo panels is very less compared to earlier models. Look at pic below

Attachments

• Plasma Thickness.jpg
    Plasma Thickness.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 264
Well their will not be much difference as it is the same old panel with improved circuitry and does not have the new Neo Panels which consumer less power and are coming in the G10 series.Also the thickness of the neo panels is very less compared to earlier models. Look at pic below

thanks for the pic.. dushie..
as per the law in India.. the co. needs to maintain.. the spare parts of discontinued model.. for 2 yrs atleast..

so now as these models are discontinued.. wouldnt it be advisable..to go for new stuff..
well the case is gonna be the same for X10 later on.. and its never ending story.. but still..!

Well Aki, normally i have not seen these products developing problems , they have a good life, but sure you have a valid point on maintaining spares. In US they also provide extended warranty up to 3 years, so normally they would stock parts to repair the product if not possible the provide the customer with the replacement new model that is in stock.

But for Pioneer Kuro owner's definitely there should be some concern.
As production has stopped so the availability of parts and support could be a concern later on

Well Aki, normally i have not seen these products developing problems , they have a good life, but sure you have a valid point on maintaining spares. In US they also provide extended warranty up to 3 years, so normally they would stock parts to repair the product if not possible the provide the customer with the replacement new model that is in stock.

But for Pioneer Kuro owner's definitely there should be some concern.
As production has stopped so the availability of parts and support could be a concern later on

...hhhmm
croma does provide 3 yrs extended..warranty.. their smile club..
but need to cross check whether they compatible in rates..
as croma ppl have become smart now a days.. they dont stock much..unlike the distributors who have no other option ..bulk buys..
so they are ready to bargain.. but no extended warranty..
distributors have bottle neck situation especially in plasmas..
nobody will believe in last financial yr. the last quarter sale of plasma is below 150 all over india..!!!
figures speak...

...hhhmm

distributors have bottle neck situation especially in plasmas..
nobody will believe in last financial yr. the last quarter sale of plasma is below 150 all over india..!!!
figures speak...

I love figures and analysis!

BTW from where you got these??
looking at the praise for PV8/8o I thought 150 members of HIFI vision must have bought this!!

I love figures and analysis!

BTW from where you got these??
looking at the praise for PV8/8o I thought 150 members of HIFI vision must have bought this!!

i wish that was true hemant..
even i love plasmas a lot..!

but the fact is the sale has dropped..
my friend is a sanyo distributor he has these reports.. from a authentic..analyst(analysis org.)
give me a day will give u the name..!

i wish that was true hemant..
even i love plasmas a lot..!

but the fact is the sale has dropped..
my friend is a sanyo distributor he has these reports.. from a authentic..analyst(analysis org.)
give me a day will give u the name..!

Cool - thanks for letting us know the source....
If you are publishing name or data which is not in public domain,it may be advisable to ask the source....

The data is shocking ,because I was in industry ( I was roduct marketing head for DVD in Onida) , and roughly I know how vast the market is.....

Compared to that 150 numbers a quarter is nothing .....frankly I still doubt the figure... as I still remember Mumbai's Vijay sales 1 day offer for Plasmas -notabaly LG one...and Vijay sales normaly plays with volume.

Just check if the distributor referring to perticular region or only some brands,as Panasonic,Samsung and LG ,all 3 plasma biggies are present in india.and I think some brands have limited presence through distributor-like pioneer ,hitachi etc.

Anyhow someone mentioned in this forum that panasonic have huge unsold inventory and so the heavy campain & celebrity endorsement.

But If the figure is true and ths will continue in indian market ,it will be end of Indian plasma market.Maybe plasma in the future in India will only be available against order ,and demo and comparisions will be thing of the past.And in case of limited imports prices will go throuh roof. See what prices official OPPO importars quoting!

Any mass market company requires good and stedy volumes. This is the reson DVD recorders never stablished in India...Onida,LG & philips everyone burnt their fingures,ditto about Rear Projection TVS- volumes were miniscule ( anyway RP is still available in US market)

Members anyone havinanother feedback/numbers??/

Well in Bangalore most of the stores do not even have a plasma in demon on the shelf, its filled with lcd's ..

Only few stores have one or two odd models for display.
They get the stock once your order is placed.

The above is not valid for Panasonic brand shops.

So Hemant it is not wrong to say the plasma is only available against order and even now demo and comparison is a big challenge in a lot of places and cities ..

But still there are buyers in the market, as long as there is a demand we will get the product ....:)

I am thinking in the perspective of Product manager and company.In case of limited demand ,companies feel it is better not to make the model ,leave the market for other players...

India is still small market and that is why these products nver introduced or quicly disappeared from mass players

1) CD Players
2) DVD recorders
3) DVD recorders with Hard Disk
4) 2 Channel amplifiers
5) Turntables
6) Tuners
7) HDD based players

Now you know that sony was still making 2 channel amlifiers mainly for UK markets?( you sometimes see these amps in India where there is asticker/printing -tuned for britsh market)UK site was showing these products 2 years back...but it was discontinued from Dubai long back.( Some of HI Fi componants of sonyare highly regarded -ES series ETC.)It seems that it is not available in UK.Sony still make 1 turntabe for market
PS-LX300USB (PSLX300USB) : Home Cinema and Hifi : Sony

Sonys japan site still shows some HI Fi componants
Hi-Fi

This is taken from ORG- GFK who provides (unreliable) data to industry

Indian TV market coping well with global downturn

Indian TV market coping well with global downturn

14 May 2009
India, Consumer Electronics

Television manufacturers appear to have been spared the gloom of the global economic slowdown in India.

Thanks to consumer spending, both in the rural and urban markets, Colour Televisions have seen an upturn in sales, growing 2% to reach 2.8 million units in the first quarter of 2009.

According to the latest Colour Television sales figures released by ORG-GfK (GfK Retail and Technology in India), the high-priced LCD TV segment grew 86% to reach 209,000 units, followed by Plasma at 54% (104,000 units) units; Flat TVs showed marginal growth of 1% (1.8 million units).

Conventional TVs bore the brunt of the downturn, with sales declining by 8.4% to reach 765,000 units. Colour TVs account for over half of the consumer durable market.

Now
1) PLASMA -LCD SALES RATIO IS 1:2 NO WAY!! IN FACT I SEE IN MANY SHOWROOMS HARDLY 1 OR 2 PLASMAS DISPLAYED!
2) While working on DVD too ORG-GFKs data was highly unreliable!!

I JUST WANT TO CONVEINCE MYSELF WITH THAT 150 NUMBER!!

Another News Item

LCD, plasma TV sales grow more than 80%

LCD, plasma TV sales grow more than 80% - The Financial Express

LCD, plasma TV sales grow more than 80%
By Mona Mehta

Between January to April 2009, the market for liquid crystal display (LCD) TVs and plasma TVs grew by 81.6% over the corresponding period previous year, according to ORG numbers.

In comparison, the flat TVs market has posted a negative growth of -0.1% during the period. However during the corresponding period last year, flat TVs grew by 25%. Overall the CTVs market has witnessed 1.2% growth during the January to April 2009 period.

Currently, LCD TVs and Plasma TVs market contribute 1.8% to the overall CTVs market. With the ongoing Twenty Twenty World Cup, branded consumer electronics manufacturers expect higher growth of LCD and Plasma TVs compared to flat TV sets.

Durables majors, LG Electronics India has registered a 257% growth in LCD TVs and 353% in slim TVs. "During January to April 2009 period, the company witnessed 42% growth in flat TVs", Amitabh Tiwari, head, consumer electronics, LG Electronics India told FE.

Competitor, Samsung India has witnessed 100% growth as far as flat panel TVs (LCD, LED and Plasma TVs) are concerned between January to April 2009, informed Ravinder Zutshi, deputy managing director, Samsung India.

According to Zutshi, "The success of LCD and Plasma TV market growth can be attributed to many factors. They are, pick up in consumer sentiments and confidence following stable government, launching of new technological line-ups in LCDs, LEDs and Plasma TVs, IPL events, and manufacturers improving picture performance."

As for flat TVs, Samsung India has achieved 35% growth between January to April 2009. Samsung India is targeting sales of 6 lakh units of flat panels, which is, LCD and LED TVs and hopes to achieve 37% growth in flat TVs this year. In 2008, Samsung India sold over 3.2 million TVs, of which, 2.6 million were flat TVs. In FY10, competitor, Sony India hopes to grow by 20% to 25% with major focus on LCD TVs and digital imaging segments. As per ORG, during the first quarter of 2007, the LCD TVs and Plasma TVs market grew at the rate of 45.6%, as compared to the 9% growth reported during the corresponding period last year. Samsung India, a market leader in the LCD TVs segment, has witnessed 715% growth and has achieved 26% market share. In order to spur more volumes durable companies along with consumer finance companies have minimised the downpayment and increase the installment tenure for LCD and Plasma TVs. However, industry sources said that the limited shelf life of LCD and Plasma TVs can be a deterrant and only time will tell how successful durables majors will be in increasing penetration in the market.

1) NOWHERE PLASMA NUMBRS INDEPENDENTLY MENTIONED- however later only LCD's growth is discussed
2) Anyway LCD and Plasma is STILL less than 2% of overall market!And that is why I always say still it is not significant for big MNC! Still for Pana,Sharp & Hitachi it must be miniscule market!!

I think the manufacturers have given up on plasma. Panasonic, now the number 1 plasma maker (in terms of volume and quality, after the exit of Pioneer) has yet to launch its 2009 plasmas in India but has already lauched its 2009 LCDs (which are soon going to be manufactured in the country).

Part of the blame for poor plasma sales falls on showrooms, which display banks of televisions in a bright room. All the tvs are on "torch" mode, and obviously the plasmas are going to look dull. Put the same tvs in a dark room and the superior native contrast of the plasma will become more obvious.

On the original topic... Any sign of the G10 in India yet?

I think the manufacturers have given up on plasma. Panasonic, now the number 1 plasma maker (in terms of volume and quality, after the exit of Pioneer) has yet to launch its 2009 plasmas in India but has already lauched its 2009 LCDs (which are soon going to be manufactured in the country).

Part of the blame for poor plasma sales falls on showrooms, which display banks of televisions in a bright room. All the tvs are on "torch" mode, and obviously the plasmas are going to look dull. Put the same tvs in a dark room and the superior native contrast of the plasma will become more obvious.

On the original topic... Any sign of the G10 in India yet?

well u must know that people buy lcds for various reasons,lcds don't exactly sell because they are bright,they sell more because of various reasons ,majority just like the more crisp 3d like image of lcds,lesser power consumption,some buy for the peace of mind without worrying about BURN-IN no matter how long or remote the chances are,or the fact that they don't have to do the break in period.the list goes on.
about the contrast of plasma not all plasma have high native contrast,in plasma only pioneer and FHD panasonic models like G10 have the edge in contrast towards a quite a number of lcds.but models like panny PV8,x10 and LG,samsung models have lower contrast them most sony,samsung ,sharp lcds.newer lcds from sony and samsung can easily match the contrast of the G10,without having LED dimming system.
if u compare the panasonic plasma with panasonic lcds or lg,yes there is a huge difference in contrast,but not the same case when u compare them to sony or samsung lcd .

Last edited:
As the title says... it IS launched.

Got a call from Panasonic Brand Shop, Bangalore around 7pm.
Priced at 79K.
I going to buy that first thing tomorrow morning. :yahoo:

Priced at 79K.

Finally! I've been waiting for this one for a while.. Cheaper than expected too.

Congratulations in advance on your purchase.

Can you please find out if there's a 46" as well? And if so, the price.

Priced at 79K.

Is the V10 out too? If so I'm landing there tomorrow :D. hdtvtest.co.uk calls it the best TV on earth after the Kuro which is no longer available anyway.

isn't that the MRP price,after some days when its available in more places it should be cheaper.

btw in V10,the slightly better version,it doesn't handle interlaced videos via component very well as said in hdtvtest.co.uk,those of u who are watching in tata sky+,big tv or some sun dth stbs which have a component out that ouputs 576i,u will notice some loss of resolution in g10/v10 ,as pionted out by the review.the 2 year old samsung lcd does it better in that regard.
as shown in the images below.

below the V10
simoncowellpanasonicv10.jpg

below the samsung 2 year old F96 lcd
simoncowellsamsungf96.jpg

notice the lack of detail in the coat in V10 plasma.

Last edited:
Bad news... :sad:

Only the 42" G10 is on sale (alongside the 42" X10). Panasonic should take a lesson from Samsung or Sony on how to sell different sized tvs within any range.

MRP is Rs. 79,990 for the G10.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a Samsung 46" B650 LCD next weekend.

Bad news... :sad:

Only the 42" G10 is on sale (alongside the 42" X10). Panasonic should take a lesson from Samsung or Sony on how to sell different sized tvs within any range.

MRP is Rs. 79,990 for the G10.

Looks like I'm going to be buying a Samsung 46" B650 LCD next weekend.

Finally, got it for 75K :). Will be delivered to my home Monday. I will post some pics later.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back