OLED TV's price/best quote thread

Sure will do it later. 2 days no power cause of cyclone and floods. I turned on the tv to check those black crush scenes connecting to the inverter line and now inverter also dead. Soon mobile also will be dead.
Power sometimes comes and goes here in Annanagar but the WiFi is down. Are u able to screen mirror from your cellphone? Cus I am not able to do so.

Power sometimes comes and goes here in Annanagar but the WiFi is down. Are u able to screen mirror from your cellphone? Cus I am not able to do so.
Mine is an iPhone XR and have done it many times with the c9. It works flawless and butter smooth.Is your question if it will work when internet is down? If so I need to check disabling internet. But basically all devices in the same network will communicate even when internet is down.

actually for the comparison the tvs ought to be calibrated otherwise it is not a just comparison. Most ppl use the preset when there are extensive controls available and in my view a bit complex for a normal person to use them. Mostly by using some images or disc we can have an accurate image but the last few stops would need specialized equipment and software. As the panels are manufactured by LG I doubt whether there would be a great difference between them.

I don’t think you have set the black levels correctly. Look at my pics from the c9. I have also changed the colour temperature to warm2 since the other fm suggested it’s the right settings.There is no black crush in the c9 and also compared to my pics and yours,the Sony has more black crush. In the first image right side to the female you can clearly see 2 chairs which is crushed in both sony and cx.In the next image more details on what is behind the character as well. The image looks much sharper, clearer with better skin tone and my mobile camera completely removes the crisp details in the image. Also the face is very clear in the second image but the background light covers it in the camera pic

My Black level settings are greyed out for all DV modes. Can you post your settings?
Also, What is the brightness setting? I cannot move brightness beyond 50 because it brings in a grey haze to the picture (but removes the black crush). Where there is no black bars, I can set the brightness till 52-53 without getting noticed, but only till 50 where there is black bars in the picture.

Let me know your current black level and brightness settings for DV mode.

Also, Found out the Warm3 setting. Always assumed that it was no there coming from sony. Playing with it.

As mentioned, the pictures are relative and not absolute and in pitch black. IF one would look like one of the pics, the other would look like the other picture. But both look much different in real life. Exact details of 4k picture cannot be captured by puny mobile camera. So they are representative and relative.

Last edited:
Could you post above settings from both LG and Sony? I will find some time tonight to tweak Sony.
Content:
DV content, Hauting of Bly Manor Netflix. S1E4

LG is from TV caliberation with darco. But I understand black level need to be tuned specific to tv. Waiting for LoveForSound to come live to make more tweaks. My "Black level" setting is disabled in settings and have brightness at 50. Any lesser, there is more black crush and any higher, there is grey haze in black bars. Hence I use OLED light for tuning to room light. (70-100 depending on ambient light)

Sony settings as I mentioned before.
Pitch black room,
Cinema pro mode,
Eco mode - off
Light sensor - off
Peak luminance - High.

Reality creation - 50 (Default 20).

Reality creation creates the biggest difference. It is not plain sharpening the picture but adjusts the overall picture based on light sources in the picture - kind of like ray tracing and enhancing the image and depth. Definitely play with that.

Content:

LG is from TV caliberation with darco. But I understand black level need to be tuned specific to tv. Waiting for LoveForSound to come live to make more tweaks. My "Black level" setting is disabled in settings and have brightness at 50. Any lesser, there is more black crush and any higher, there is grey haze in black bars. Hence I use OLED light for tuning to room light. (70-100 depending on ambient light)
Black level should be Auto. If it is disabled with auto then no problem.

My Black level settings are greyed out for all DV modes. Can you post your settings?
Also, What is the brightness setting? I cannot move brightness beyond 50 because it brings in a grey haze to the picture (but removes the black crush). Where there is no black bars, I can set the brightness till 52-53 without getting noticed, but only till 50 where there is black bars in the picture.

Also, Found out the Warm3 setting. Always assumed that it was no there coming from sony. Playing with it.

As mentioned, the pictures are relative and not absolute and in pitch black. IF one would look like one of the pics, the other would look like the other picture. But both look much different in real life. Exact details of 4k picture cannot be captured by puny mobile camera. So they are representative and relative.
Use the slides I shared to set black levels for both SDR and HDR.Brightness is black levels and you should keep it to the value where it clips at reference black.I will share my settings once power is restored but black levels vary panel to panel.Yeah from pics we can’t determine the quality of how the image looks in person. But if the shadow details are as you see in the Images shared then there is lot of black crush in both your Sony, Cx and you will be missing a lot of details in the picture. For me the images shared look stunning with sharp and crisp details with all the shadow details clearly visible as seen in the images.

Last edited:
Content:

Sony settings as I mentioned before.
Pitch black room,
Cinema pro mode,
Eco mode - off
Light sensor - off
Peak luminance - High.

Reality creation - 50 (Default 20).

Reality creation creates the biggest difference. It is not plain sharpening the picture but adjusts the overall picture based on light sources in the picture - kind of like ray tracing and enhancing the image and depth. Definitely play with that.
Why this person sitting in a dark room did calibration using "Expert(Bright Room)" setting?

It's a common issue with Dolby Vision content. No setting you will use will fix it. You can brute force it, but that will introduce black crushing. Here's a link if you don't believe me:

And it's not just OLEDs either. Even on FALD LCD's DV content blacks are not black at all but dark grey. If I force the same content to HDR10 (every DV content can be forced to HDR10 as you can ignore the dynamic metadata) by playing it on firestick 4k, blacks become pitch black as they should be. It's really weird, and I don't think is related to the TV itself. I believe the content itself is not being decoded as R 0, B 0, G 0.

It's a common issue with Dolby Vision content. No setting you will use will fix it. You can brute force it, but that will introduce black crushing. Here's a link if you don't believe me:

And it's not just OLEDs either. Even on FALD LCD's DV content blacks are not black at all but dark grey. If I force the same content to HDR10 (every DV content can be forced to HDR10 as you can ignore the dynamic metadata) by playing it on firestick 4k, blacks become pitch black as they should be. It's really weird, and I don't think is related to the TV itself. I believe the content itself is not being decoded as R 0, B 0, G 0.
I have watched so many DV contents in Netflix and have never noticed this issue in my c9. Two more c9 users in the link you shared also confirmed the same. Have u noticed this in your Oled tv? If so share the scene so I can check myself

I have watched so many DV contents in Netflix and have never noticed this issue in my c9. Two more c9 users in the link you shared also confirmed the same. Have u noticed this in your Oled tv? If so share the scene so I can check myself
I don't own a C9 but my friend's C8 has the same issue when I played a copy of Mandalorian's Season 1 Episode 2 on it last year (during the intro credits where the entire screen is black and it displays "Lucasfilm"). It's the same on my U79 FALD but the same video being forced to HDR10 plays back as black. My IPS monitor also shows the same.

It's not necessary to be on every panel because some panels have brightness level where they slightly clip black. AVSForums are full of such threads. Link to one is here. What they did to fix it was set brightness to 49 (setting brightness to 49 also fixes it on my set). Maybe the folks who are not experiencing it have their panel's 50 equal to others' 49?? But the point is that it's definitely not a one-off case and quite common. It's peculiar as to why it only happens with DV content though.

BTW, it only happens while playing through HDMI. On native apps, DV is always fine.

I think then it is more of an issue on CX than C9. My C7 definitely crushed blacks in Cinema mode. Cinema Home over brightened everything. So I didn’t use DV much unless it was properly done for series and movies.

I don't own a C9 but my friend's C8 has the same issue when I played a copy of Mandalorian's Season 1 Episode 2 on it last year (during the intro credits where the entire screen is black and it displays "Lucasfilm"). It's the same on my U79 FALD but the same video being forced to HDR10 plays back as black. My IPS monitor also shows the same.

It's not necessary to be on every panel because some panels have brightness level where they slightly clip black. AVSForums are full of such threads. Link to one is here. What they did to fix it was set brightness to 49 (setting brightness to 49 also fixes it on my set). Maybe the folks who are not experiencing it have their panel's 50 equal to others' 49?? But the point is that it's definitely not a one-off case and quite common. It's peculiar as to why it only happens with DV content though.
Ok I haven’t noticed it or May be my eyes didn’t catch it yet.

Ok I haven’t noticed it or May be my eyes didn’t catch it yet.
Are you playing the content over HDMI though? This issue is only prevalent on HDMI based sources (and that too varies). For example, a firestick 4k or Apple TV 4k will have it while Roku 4k won't. If you're playing via the native app, it should be fine. HDMI is full of such bugs honestly, even Xbox series X can't display black at all but sends 11, 11, 11 instead of 0, 0, 0.

If your set has the issue, you will notice it immediately. When black is grey, it looks awful. Any episode of Mandalorian in DV over HDMI will show you the issue in 1 second when the intro sequence comes.

Are you playing the content over HDMI though? This issue is only prevalent on HDMI based sources (and that too varies). For example, a firestick 4k or Apple TV 4k will have it while Roku 4k won't. If you're playing via the native app, it should be fine. HDMI is full of such bugs honestly, even Xbox series X can't display black at all but sends 11, 11, 11 instead of 0, 0, 0.

If your set has the issue, you will notice it immediately. When black is grey, it looks awful. Any episode of Mandalorian in DV over HDMI will show you the issue in 1 second when the intro sequence comes.
Mandalorian in HDR is bad. Slightly better in DV. Never noticed raised blacks in intro but the show itself doesn’t have clean blacks. I play through Apple TV.

It’s mixed to be honest. I some times watch using the tv app and sometimes using nvidia shield. First 3 months it was chaos for me with the c9 and you would find so many posts of me whining and started many threads complaining black crush, flashing, black levels and motion issues. But after setting it right and to my liking with the help of fm @Marakk I haven’t had any issues and 100% satisfied with any content. If only one thing I wish that was better in the c9 is in some contents I notice stutter which is manageable with motion set to clear.

Last edited:
I am sitting with the settings tonight. Will post any findings.
Btw, definetely require new thread for LG vs Sony Oled. Will ask one of the moderators to move stuff to a new thread to that effect.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back