OLED TV's price/best quote thread

I am sitting with the settings tonight. Will post any findings.
Btw, definetely require new thread for LG vs Sony Oled. Will ask one of the moderators to move stuff to a new thread to that effect.

Caleb sums up the differences very well.

In SDR, Sony pulls ahead slightly.
In HDR, more light output on LG. Sony can go brighter by reducing gamma but without affecting overall picture.

Brightness is black levels and you should keep it to the value where it clips at reference black.
I think we are narrowing down on the issue.
Sony has 4 settings. Brightness, Black level, Contrast and Gamma to tackle black levels and shadow details.

LG has brightness control for setting black level as well. The shadow detail level which is as good as sony is brightness at 55-56. But this raises the overall black (black bars appear dark gray). Looks like you have to either compromise shadow details or put up with raised blacks. But this is all for pitch black room. 55-56 is ok with some ambient light.

Will post further if I hit anything.

I think we are narrowing down on the issue.
Sony has 4 settings. Brightness, Black level, Contrast and Gamma to tackle black levels and shadow details.

LG has brightness control for setting black level as well. The shadow detail level which is as good as sony is brightness at 55-56. But this raises the overall black (black bars appear dark gray). Looks like you have to either compromise shadow details or put up with raised blacks. But this is all for pitch black room. 55-56 is ok with some ambient light.

Will post further if I hit anything.
Black bars shouldn’t appear grey. In my case I get enough shadow details with no black crush with brightness level set at 49 for SDR and 50 for DV, HDR or vice versa which I need to check.Black bars remain deep black. One more thing i want to ask is that in the images you shared for both Sony and cx the black crush was heavy compared to my pic. The two chairs where not visible in both cx and Sony. Was it just in the image or that’s how it looks? Cause when you focus mobile camera at one spot it tends to crush shadow details.

I have the LG and Sony in 2 different rooms. Though I cannot pinpoint the picture difference, if I continue what I was watching midway from sony to LG, it looks like a not a continuity. Looks like a downgrade. If I do the vice versa, it looks like I have missed something for the first half and keep rewatching. This is for 4k, HDR and DV content. Will post some pictures to get an idea, though pics are nit the greatest representation of what u see in real life.

This is with reference to "Designated survivor" S1 that I was watching last week. (Netflix DV)

Looks like it just shows as DV and not actually DV..? My LG picture mode goes to some SDR settings with "APS" mode.. Totally uncaliberated..

Can anyone confirm this is actually DV?
@Saiju, can you check this in your tvs? Difference is big..

Black bars shouldn’t appear grey. In my case I get enough shadow details with no black crush with brightness level set at 49 for SDR and 50 for DV, HDR or vice versa which I need to check.Black bars remain deep black. One more thing i want to ask is that in the images you shared for both Sony and cx the black crush was heavy compared to my pic. The two chairs where not visible in both cx and Sony. Was it just in the image or that’s how it looks? Cause when you focus mobile camera at one spot it tends to crush shadow details.

For both pic, I focussed on center of screen.. The chairs and other stuff are visible in both, nothing is invisible as in picture.. But the relative visibility is better in sony. Also the light output through window is more impactful in sony which could be because if size.
Camera captured neither the light output quantum or visibility in dim areas.

This is with reference to "Designated survivor" S1 that I was watching last week. (Netflix DV)

Looks like it just shows as DV and not actually DV..? My LG picture mode goes to some SDR settings with "APS" mode.. Totally uncaliberated..

Can anyone confirm this is actually DV?
@Saiju, can you check this in your tvs? Difference is big..

Designated Survivor is SDR.
Let’s continue on the new thread.

It’s mixed to be honest. I some times watch using the tv app and sometimes using nvidia shield. First 3 months it was chaos for me with the c9 and you would find so many posts of me whining and started many threads complaining black crush, flashing, black levels and motion issues. But after setting it right and to my liking with the help of fm @Marakk I haven’t had any issues and 100% satisfied with any content. If only one thing I wish that was better in the c9 is in some contents I notice stutter which is manageable with motion set to clear.
Does 1.96 for CX65 a good rate all things considere?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back