OnePlus U1 55, should I go for it?

Demigod92

I have been planning to buy a tv for so long now and my maximum budget is 50k, and since the OnePlus tv had just launched I visited the OnePlus experience center today to check the tv out. To be very honest I was underwhelmed, with all the talk of DCI-P3 93% the tv still doesn't feel impressive at all.

I was not able to asses the performance because they did not have any doloby vision or HDR 10 content running on demo, and the Netflix subscription they had was basic one. The salesman did say that the tv has in fact a 10 bit panel but I'm not sure how credible the information is, he also mentioned that the tv has 400 nits of brightness.

So what do you guys think? Can the PQ be tweaked through future updates and a little calibration or it will remain the same?

Is there any upcoming tv you guys might know of which might fit within the said budget and offers a better value proposition?

Hi friend. I am in the same boat as you. I was willing to extend my budget upto 70k but there isn't any tv which will improve the picture quality significantly to justify spending so much. The next big jump would be around the 80-85k mark with the Samsung frame. The u1 was available at the experience store so fast? Maybe I should go check it out as well. And what exactly did you mean by "underwhelming" because I was looking to buy the tv as well and was under the impression it is really good.

You should probably go and check it ourself and probably post your thoughts as well as I didn't get enough time because the close at 4:00pm, anyway here's what I thought.

The brightness feels to be 200-300 nits, the UI lags quite frequently, some videos just look plain weird with MEMC on, there's a weird sort of burning effect on faces of people.

The worst part is the store didn't have a Netflix account with 4k (try logging in with your personal account if you have the 4k one, I couldn't because I don't have one currently) so couldn't test the dolby and her content, only 4k content I could see was on prime he played thd hindi movie WAR, so I tried playing the final scene where there is a car chase, one car is bright yellow and the background is a snowy region, Ideally a panel like this should give vibrant colors but that was not the case.

Again the brightness felt lower than claimed. Throughout the time I kept global dimming off to maintain the peak brightness but still it didn't feel bright enough in a moderately lit environment.

I guess that most of the issues are software and calibration related but not sure, if OnePlus doesn't fix them then probably gotta look for another option, dunno why reviewers are praising this one so much. I felt it was quite equal to TCL P8S in terms of PQ.

Anyway this is what I felt, please have a look at it too and let me know your opinion? Thanks.

You should probably go and check it ourself and probably post your thoughts as well as I didn't get enough time because the close at 4:00pm, anyway here's what I thought.

The brightness feels to be 200-300 nits, the UI lags quite frequently, some videos just look plain weird with MEMC on, there's a weird sort of burning effect on faces of people.

The worst part is the store didn't have a Netflix account with 4k (try logging in with your personal account if you have the 4k one, I couldn't because I don't have one currently) so couldn't test the dolby and her content, only 4k content I could see was on prime he played thd hindi movie WAR, so I tried playing the final scene where there is a car chase, one car is bright yellow and the background is a snowy region, Ideally a panel like this should give vibrant colors but that was not the case.

Again the brightness felt lower than claimed. Throughout the time I kept global dimming off to maintain the peak brightness but still it didn't feel bright enough in a moderately lit environment.

I guess that most of the issues are software and calibration related but not sure, if OnePlus doesn't fix them then probably gotta look for another option, dunno why reviewers are praising this one so much. I felt it was quite equal to TCL P8S in terms of PQ.

Anyway this is what I felt, please have a look at it too and let me know your opinion? Thanks.
Wow that's worrying to hear. By any chance did you check what picture mode it was in? Most showroom have it on some saturated mode where the colors look totally off. And I have a Netflix 4k account, I'll probably go there and login and see the performance of Dolby vision. Hopefully the chennai store has it. I'll definitely give you an update once I go check it out in person. Thanks for the heads up.

No problem mate, and yes it was in some ugly saturated mode, I played around with the picture settings quite a bit but found the vivid mode only better out of the bunch, was not able to fine tune the individual settings as the store was closing. Do call up the oneplus store before visiting though, because some stores only have the 32 and 43inch variants.

I have been planning to buy a tv for so long now and my maximum budget is 50k, and since the OnePlus tv had just launched I visited the OnePlus experience center today to check the tv out. To be very honest I was underwhelmed, with all the talk of DCI-P3 93% the tv still doesn't feel impressive at all.

I was not able to asses the performance because they did not have any doloby vision or HDR 10 content running on demo, and the Netflix subscription they had was basic one. The salesman did say that the tv has in fact a 10 bit panel but I'm not sure how credible the information is, he also mentioned that the tv has 400 nits of brightness.

So what do you guys think? Can the PQ be tweaked through future updates and a little calibration or it will remain the same?

Is there any upcoming tv you guys might know of which might fit within the said budget and offers a better value proposition?

Have a look at this review, this may give you some idea. Well, since it's a budget TV, don't expect flagship-level performance no matter how much the spec sheet looks impressive.

Have a look at this review, this may give you some idea. Well, since it's a budget TV, don't expect flagship-level performance no matter how much the spec sheet looks impressive.

This review is nothing but a joke like all other tv reviews we get in india.totally useless.No mention of contrast,brightness,color volume,input lag,reflection handling etc etc.

I dont know why people going ga ga on oneplus tvs.This is not different than any other 30-35k tcl/iffalcon/vu/so many other brands tv in india.all are going to perform same with difference of 5-10%.at least all the VA panel tvs have contrast around 3500 and brightness around 300.

One plus is just using goodwill of smartphone to sell crap tvs in india.it is selling Q1pro 55 inch for 1 lac.seriously.why on the earth any sane person in the world will spend 1lac for one plus when he can buy a B9 for 10 k more which according to RTINGS the best tv in the world.

This review is nothing but a joke like all other tv reviews we get in india.totally useless.No mention of contrast,brightness,color volume,input lag,reflection handling etc etc.

I dont know why people going ga ga on oneplus tvs.This is not different than any other 30-35k tcl/iffalcon/vu/so many other brands tv in india.all are going to perform same with difference of 5-10%.at least all the VA panel tvs have contrast around 3500 and brightness around 300.

One plus is just using goodwill of smartphone to sell crap tvs in india.it is selling Q1pro 55 inch for 1 lac.seriously.why on the earth any sane person in the world will spend 1lac for one plus when he can buy a B9 for 10 k more which according to RTINGS the best tv in the world.

Yeah, the review in Indian sites is not up to the mark as compared to other media journals. I second you, it doesn't make much sense to spend 100K on these brands. No one knows how long they will stick to Indian markets. It reminds me of the LeEco story.

according to RTINGS the best tv in the world.

I agree that indian reviewers aren't that skilled to review TV. But I disagree that Rtings can represent the whole world in what TV they'd like. Rtings has certain defined parameters on which they rate TVs and those parameters work very well for OLEDs.

We can look at those parameters to make an informed judgement - but they definitely don't indicate that it's the best TV in world!

Many sites treat Creta or Swift or Baleno to be best car in India. I, along with many of my car enthusiasts friends over Gearheads.in feel very differently about these cars.

I agree that indian reviewers aren't that skilled to review TV. But I disagree that Rtings can represent the whole world in what TV they'd like. Rtings has certain defined parameters on which they rate TVs and those parameters work very well for OLEDs.

We can look at those parameters to make an informed judgement - but they definitely don't indicate that it's the best TV in world!

Many sites treat Creta or Swift or Baleno to be best car in India. I, along with many of my car enthusiasts friends over Gearheads.in feel very differently about these cars.
I agree that OLED is not for everyone.My point was you can get top tier tv in india OLED or LCD for 1.2lac be it sony 950G/H or Q80R/Q90T or LG B9/C9.One Plus has launched a basic tv.its not even competing with Vizio P Quantum or TCL 6 series or Hisense H9.Its a crime to launch such a poor spec tv for such exorbitant price.

Another problem is the user base, most people actually don't care about the PQ, they just care about having a big screen and Android in their TV, companies like Mi, VU, Oneplus, TCL etc take advantage of this and dump the bad stuff here and reserve the good stuff at equally cheap prices for other countries, even well known VFM brands like Hisense are doing this and probably even though a long shot if Vizio does enter the market even they are going to practice the same business model, a person like who cannot shell out more than 50k is basically doomed.

As much as i may like oneplus for their phones, making a tv is not making a phone. Even if you put together some decent amount of hardware it's all about fine tuning and calibration which comes from years of r&d and experience in the field.

Couple of days back i visited my local reliance digital to chk out the recently launched tcl qled panels but unfortunately they didnt have anything on display. But they had an oneolus q1 and tcl p8 side by side on display. So i took a demo of both side by side and let me tell you even though i hate tcl from the bottom of my heart for not giving us the same thing as american market, oneplus color tuning was nowhere near that of tcl (which itself was not accurate) .... Horrible overly saturated tinted colors ... So that's that. There's much more to a tv than just a panel, a cpu and some hardwares connected together.

Another problem is the user base, most people actually don't care about the PQ, they just care about having a big screen and Android in their TV, companies like Mi, VU, Oneplus, TCL etc take advantage of this and dump the bad stuff here and reserve the good stuff at equally cheap prices for other countries, even well known VFM brands like Hisense are doing this and probably even though a long shot if Vizio does enter the market even they are going to practice the same business model, a person like who cannot shell out more than 50k is basically doomed.
See if people dont want to spend on tv its fine.Not everybody is a tv enthusiast like us.I dont have any probelm with companies selling 55 inch tv for 30-35k like most budget brands do.The issue with OnePlus it selling the same tv for 70k and again for 1lac with adding soundbar at least before this U1 model.Its a barely year old tv company asking twice the price.why?on what basis.

Agreed the q1 pro was a ripoff. Every review suggested to rather get the q1 which in itself was considered overpriced

So I went to scout a few tvs today. Sadly the OnePlus experience store in chennai doesn't have the u1. Went to reliance digital and found the q1. As many mentioned, the display initially was over saturated, it made everything look very weird, luckily I had the time to tweak the settings. The picture was set to vivid mode(obviously) and the saturation was high too. I changed a lot of it, disabled memc and logged into my Netflix account. The picture was wayy better, looked on par with the Samsungs and sony tvs nearby. Brightness seemed a bit low, I didn't have to check whether the dynamic backlight was on or not cause there were people waiting. Overall I am happy that what most people experienced can be tweaked and for some reason the showroom models had weird picture settings. The UI was weirdly laggy. Like too slow, not sure if it's the showroom model or generally how it is.
I anyway will be going and checking the tcl ones once they are available.
Overall I am happy the picture quality isn't bad as people said it was, its comparable to the sony and the Samsung in the same range after tweaking it ofcourse , I am sure the sony or samsung would probably look a bit better on close inspection. But the OnePlus isn't that far behind, hopefully if the u1 is anything like the q1 as most reviews say it would be great.

Hey guys, so there's another tv I've had my eyes on, it is a new samsung 55 inch, now if you guys might be familiar of Samsung's PQI, this tv has a PQI of 2100, which is higher than the models like RU7470 and RU7100, I did check out RU7470 in person and felt it was a good tv, so on paper this seems to be a better tv on terms of PQ but not sure, I did try checking this tv out in a nearby samsung showroom, but they said since it is an online only model they didn't have it on display kinda like the NU6100 which had a PQI of 1600

The link to the tv - https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/uhd-tv-tue60a/UA55TUE60AKXXL/

Hey guys, so there's another tv I've had my eyes on, it is a new samsung 55 inch, now if you guys might be familiar of Samsung's PQI, this tv has a PQI of 2100, which is higher than the models like RU7470 and RU7100, I did check out RU7470 in person and felt it was a good tv, so on paper this seems to be a better tv on terms of PQ but not sure, I did try checking this tv out in a nearby samsung showroom, but they said since it is an online only model they didn't have it on display kinda like the NU6100 which had a PQI of 1600

The link to the tv - https://www.samsung.com/in/tvs/uhd-tv-tue60a/UA55TUE60AKXXL/
it's just 6 series 2020 model, very average at best.

The website specs are wrong for this model sadly. It shows it at a 8 series model which its clearly not. Not sure if the other specs are correct, so just confirm with online reviews or samsung beforehand.

Hey guys, so there's another tv I've had my eyes on, it is a new samsung 55 inch

Specs look fine for a TV this price from Samsung. Doesn't mention brightness and backlight technology. Nor it says anything about WCG or colour depth

But it does have Samsung's 4k processor and eARC support. Overall SW features and enhancements look good. I don't have any personal experience with it. With all things considered, it might be better that OP U1, as samsung is miles ahead in TV technology compared to OP.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back