Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Is any of you facing problems with judder on your V20?
I am seeing a lot of it when watching DicoveryHD or Natgeo HD on my TataSky. Switching ON/OFF the IFC does not make any difference. I tried setting the TataSky output to 720p but that also does not help much.
Please help as unconsciously I have started observing this issue in all the panning shots. I could not observe any such issue in SD channels from TataSky, I did not do any critical observation though.

r u seeing the same phenomenon while watching PAL DVDs?

i observed the same issue on my cousins 50V20 while watching Saving Private Ryan PAL-DVD. I wonder why only 2-3 owner here have noticed this maybe it varies from panel to panel but Panasonic 13G plasmas are getting a lot of thrashing in UK & Malaysia for their inability to show smooth motion on 50hz signal input. would request V20 owners like vramak & frankmehta and others to let us know their finding about this issue on their plasma.

i observed the same issue on my cousins 50V20 while watching Saving Private Ryan PAL-DVD. I wonder why only 2-3 owner here have noticed this maybe it varies from panel to panel but Panasonic 13G plasmas are getting a lot of thrashing in UK & Malaysia for their inability to show smooth motion on 50hz signal input. would request V20 owners like vramak & frankmehta and others to let us know their finding about this issue on their plasma.

No idea about that! My v20 is connected only to PS3 (60Hz/24Hz).

Didn't notice much judder on my set... but then again I am used to watching movies at 24p without any post-processing...

1.My Panasonic V20 has been connected to the PC mostly for viewing movies . Is there any harm in doing so ?

2. Is there any cable TV service provider in India who are able to give HD channels through Cable STB?

I have updated my P42V20D Software, but I could not notice any difference after the software update. Here are the system info pics before and after the software update.

v20_sys_info.jpg

After Software update

V20_sys_info_new.jpg

And no idea what these Status1, 2 and 3 are about.

Last edited:
1.My Panasonic V20 has been connected to the PC mostly for viewing movies . Is there any harm in doing so ?

2. Is there any cable TV service provider in India who are able to give HD channels through Cable STB?

1. It is better to avoid connecting a plasma to a PC, at least during the break-in period, for the simple reason that when you are on the desktop (or inside any folder for that matter) there are too many static images which can cause image retention. Of course from what other V20 owners have commented it seems that this set does not have any image retention problems...... but why take that risk??? Why don't you just buy a media player like WDTV or ASUS O! Play or Seagate Theatre+ (and not the older version). These players are capable of playing any format out there.

2. I don't know about cable TV service provider, but I do know that there are many DTH companies who give some HD channels. If you are going for HD STB then my personal advice is to go for Tata Sky HD, and NOT AirtelHD. Tata SkyHD has the most amount of HD channels currently.

I have updated my P42V20D Software, but I could not notice any difference after the software update. Here are the system info pics before and after the software update.

v20_sys_info.jpg

After Software update

V20_sys_info_new.jpg

And no idea what these Status1, 2 and 3 are about.

From the pictures I could see that the software version was updated to different number. How did you update the software and from where did you get the latest software?

On software update:

If you connect the TV to the Internet, and if you choose Viera Cast, it will check with the server (automatically) and prompt to you about the existence of new software version. If you choose to update, it will display the current version of the software (5.2 in my TV) and new version of the software (5.5). And if you confirm to update it will automatically fetches the new software and you need to switch off and on the TV when prompted.

It took nearly 6 minutes for me with 1Mbps Airtel broadband connection. With previous TV the software update failed few times before it could finish successfully.

I did the same thing today (after updating Viera Cast off course). Had a lot of fun with Twitter, Youtube, Picasa and the weather widget. It felt great to be able to watch videos on YT without any form of buffering (Thank you, MTNL) on such a large screen. The upscaling engine of the TV is SO good that videos on the 50" screen look better scaled than even my 19" Home LCD monitor!
Tried DLNA too. Synced my laptop with my TV and watched a lot of videos for timepass. I just wanted to check out the MONSTER like abilities of the TV. The DLNA server is a super idea. Only thing is, it still doesn't do HD MKV files. The other stuff (SD DivX) played just fine from my computer. Was very awesome to see such stuff happen so efficiently and without a hiccup.
Only thing is, I own a PS3, an Xtreamer AND an HTPC. Which renders the whole DLNA and Media Server thing quite useless. The Xtreamer does all this and MORE without effort.

Actually SD reproduction is one thing where in the absolute Panasonic is far behind the other vendors. The Viera engine doesn't do *any* form of cadence detection while de-interlacing. Leads to tonnes of jagged edges. I love panny plasmas but this is something that is kind of unforgivable in this day and age!

I was under the impression that the V20s are THX certified, and today I was looking for THX option, and could not find because it didn't exist.

I think it does have THC certification in some countries.

Last edited:
I am wondering if anybody has measured the power consumption of the 42V20. The reason I am asking this question is whether I can connect this TV to a 500VA/300W APC UPS for protecting against surges and voltage fluctuations. Please advise.

@asdflkg

1) The model in India and Australia does not have THX. It's funny that we pay more and get lesser in return. Story of our country.

2) I''m not sure about the 500VA unit, but I'm quite sure that the 650VA unit can do it.

I was under the impression that the V20s are THX certified, and today I was looking for THX option, and could not find because it didn't exist.

I think it does have THC certification in some countries.

because it dosent have infinite black "PRO".... for THX certification a plasma needs blacks like CRT or KURO technology. i dont know why "PRO" is missing in india it makes a hell lot of difference. thats why i dropped the plans for v20. lets see next year hopefully "pro" is available cheap.. chears :)

Yep, India is dumping ground for junk.

I have connected my 42" V20 to 500VA APC UPS, it is working fine for now, so I am not sure what might go wrong in the long run. The reason I decided to connect the TV to 500VA is that, I am surprised to see that I was using the 300VA V-Guard stabilizer, I thought 500VA is better 300VA.

I have run the TV for more than 120 hrs on 300VA stabilizer without any (observable) problems. Many times TV was running 5 to 8 hours continuously.

because it dosent have infinite black "PRO".... for THX certification a plasma needs blacks like CRT or KURO technology. i dont know why "PRO" is missing in india it makes a hell lot of difference. thats why i dropped the plans for v20. lets see next year hopefully "pro" is available cheap.. chears :)

Well, that's not really true. THX is available on the V20 series in the UK and it certainly isn't Infinite Black PRO. Infinite Black PRO (from what I know) is only availabe with the VT series.

For whatever reason, Panasonic hasn't included THX in the Indian and Australian V20 models (possibly other areas as well) but it definitely isn't because of lack of Infinite Black PRO.

P.S. I'm not entriely sure about the statement above anymore. I read somewhere else on this forum that V20 models abroad (specifically the UK) actually do come with Infinite Black PRO.

EDIT: My apologies to the above poster. Infinite Black PRO seems to be a requirement for THX. The UK model (V20B series) comes with Infinite Black PRO.

http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...sma+TV/TX-P50V20B/Overview/4916214/index.html

Yep, India is dumping ground for junk.

I have connected my 42" V20 to 500VA APC UPS, it is working fine for now, so I am not sure what might go wrong in the long run. The reason I decided to connect the TV to 500VA is that, I am surprised to see that I was using the 300VA V-Guard stabilizer, I thought 500VA is better 300VA.

I have run the TV for more than 120 hrs on 300VA stabilizer without any (observable) problems. Many times TV was running 5 to 8 hours continuously.

I was quite sure it would run well. Most of these UPSs can take on loads that are slightly more than they are rated for. The only downside is that in a few months or years, some of the internal circuitry tends to burn out because of continuous stress beyond the rated loads. I've had this happen on more than one occasion with my PC. Whatever happens, your equipment is always protected and in the worst case scenario you end up loosing only the UPS.

Last edited:
EDIT: My apologies to the above poster. Infinite Black PRO seems to be a requirement for THX. The UK model (V20B series) comes with Infinite Black PRO.

VIERA Flat Screen TV - NeoPDP Plasma TV - TX-P50V20B - Overview - UK & Ireland[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

no problem dude! i visited your link and found that x20 series in UK has 100hz double scan where in india x20 comes with 600hz! why is that so?

maybe here people dont prefer costly TVS like V20 they go for x20 (even tho people here spend more than 8hrs every day on tv). i think for the betterment of the masses they give better functionality in lower end modles 600hz motion is a very very impt thing.. they take something out from higher models and adjusts it into lower ends..

i am also planning to buy 40" or 42" HD tv
i hav budget of 70k
i mostly watch movies n viewing distance is between 8 feet to 14 feet
panasonic p42v20 looks good but saw a review on cnet which says that after long term use panasonic plasma loses black levels. somewhere after 1000 hrs of use.
Follow-up: Panasonic plasma black-level loss measured in long-term test | Crave - CNET

i cud see in variuos reviews ppl appreciate pioneer kuro plasma which is acquired by panasonic recently. but panasonic uses kuro only for VT model which 3D tv.

pioneer still uses kuro? are they better than panasonic plasma?
how much pioneer will cost in delhi?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back