Panasonic Viera 32'' LX800 vs Samsung Series 5

ssbmat

Greetings to all fellow members.
I am about to purchase a 32" LCD tv and have been looking at various options. I have looked at LG Scarlet/Jazz, Sony Bravia V Series , Samsung Series 4,5.
I had almost finalized Samsung Series 5 when I came across Panasonic Viera series.

The Panasonic shop owner seemed to be very knowledgable and gave me some insights into HD Ready vs full HD, IPS, 100 Hz refresh etc.

He also claimed that he can challenge a Sony Bravia to display as clear and consistent image for regular Sat TV broadcast (Tata Sky) as a Panasonic does. The tv looks good. It costs 44K (Pune) vs Samsung series 5 (Full HD) 44K.

Advice need pls!!

I am about to purchase a 32" LCD tv and have been looking at various options. I have looked at LG Scarlet/Jazz, Sony Bravia V Series , Samsung Series 4,5.
I had almost finalized Samsung Series 5 when I came across Panasonic Viera series.

The Panasonic shop owner seemed to be very knowledgable and gave me some insights into HD Ready vs full HD, IPS, 100 Hz refresh etc.

He also claimed that he can challenge a Sony Bravia to display as clear and consistent image for regular Sat TV broadcast (Tata Sky) as a Panasonic does. The tv looks good. It costs 44K (Pune) vs Samsung series 5 (Full HD) 44K.

Advice need pls!!

Hi.

I would strongly advise you to buy 32LX700, which will anyday beat Samsung 4 and 5 series just for the SD picture quality. Sound from LX700 is also brilliant, you need to hear the SRS tru-surround it has, you won't be needing a HT setup, its that good. It's also feature rich.

Now, LX800, the downfall is the sound, its terrible, doesn't have the SRS effect that 700 has, and it sounds very ordinary. Apart from that, there is 10,000:1 contrast ratio and the panel is different, glossy finish, as the only difference.

DVD pictures in both models are just brilliant.

After having a demo of SD pictures of Tata Sky in both 700 and 800 side by side, am just 1 week closer to buying 32LX700:D

Please have a demo of 800 and 700 and samsung before taking the plunge.:)

Advice need pls!!

well the panasonic will be better for SD since it has a HD panel compared to samsung series 5 which has a FHD panel,so the panasonic as less upscaling to DO.but in HD the samsung clearly as the advantage not only does it have a sheer contrast advantage and can use the 1080p video to it its maximum potential.

Hi.

I would strongly advise you to buy 32LX700, which will anyday beat Samsung 4 and 5 series just for the SD picture quality. Sound from LX700 is also brilliant, you need to hear the SRS tru-surround it has, you won't be needing a HT setup, its that good. It's also feature rich.

Now, LX800, the downfall is the sound, its terrible, doesn't have the SRS effect that 700 has, and it sounds very ordinary. Apart from that, there is 10,000:1 contrast ratio and the panel is different, glossy finish, as the only difference.

DVD pictures in both models are just brilliant.

After having a demo of SD pictures of Tata Sky in both 700 and 800 side by side, am just 1 week closer to buying 32LX700:D

Please have a demo of 800 and 700 and samsung before taking the plunge.:)

Hi Vinod ,

I m also in same situation,Pan800 or Sam 5 for 32 in only.

As per your review I wld like to ask,is the newer model realy Bad?

I meen less features?Bad SD?
I think contrast ratio is improved.
What abt Black level in 700 & 800?
What's Responsetime or moving object performance?
Backlight control (present in 800)?

I could only see800 not 700 hence asking you so many Q?

Last edited:
Hi Vinod ,

I m also in same situation,Pan800 or Sam 5 for 32 in only.

As per your review I wld like to ask,is the newer model realy Bad?

I meen less features?Bad SD?
I think contrast ratio is improved.
What abt Black level in 700 & 800?
What's Responsetime or moving object performance?
Backlight control (present in 800)?

I could only see800 not 700 hence asking you so many Q?

Hi:

These were my observations:

- Excellent SD pictures in both LX700 and LX800. Color is slightly better in 800 when compared to 700, thanx to better contrast ratio of 800.

- Terrible SQ from LX800, only two options for sound, normal mode and surround mode; surround mode offers very normal sound, i felt it was like my 21" LG flatron:eek:. Sound comes only from below the TV where the speakers are hidden, which I felt not good. Have to increase it beyond 40 for loud volume.

- Brilliant surround sound from LX700. It has three sound options. Even 25 is good volume in 700.

- Black levels same in both models, excellent.

- Both are 100 Hz TV with motion pro.

Please have demo of 700 and 800 side by side before taking the plunge.:)

Hi guys,

My first post to this forum.

I was in the same dilemma when I went to purchase a 32" LCD.

Found Sony to be expensive and lacking in features.

Finalized on Samsung 5, since I felt was value for money with nice features like PIP with (HDMI, Component, AV, PC, etc), USB connectivity, good reviews.

But then, when I finally went to the shop, the guys there first tried pushing me for a Sony and then they said Panasonic is a fantastic TV ( which I knew about). So just before I could pay cash for the samy the owner told me to take a look at the LX800. He sat with me and should me the advantages of better clarity and motion side by side with a 5 series. End of it I said I want a samy. Why ?

1. Firstly, some actor's shirt's second line was clearer on the panasonic and not so clear on the 5 series, I didnt care cause while watching the tv to enjoy, it really does not matter ( i work for a video broadcast company and gone through some trainings in MPEG compression, the compression works on visual perception and when we show a beautiful lady dancing and someone is looking at one particular rose in the garden for clarity, we call him having a jaundice eyes), when the story line holds you don't recogonize objects what the director does not want you to see other than the main objects.

2. He showed me some SD video and said look how smooth the image is flowing on the panny, I could not see the difference. In my lab I have kept 3 different brand tvs and compared all this stuff of motion. When I cant see it what is the point. He showed me CNBC stock ticker and showed me the 100 hz technology. It was a little clearer than the sammy, but who the hell cares, and it happens only in the very fast ticker, not the normal ones.

3. IPS technology, great, retains the video clarity in 160 degs angle. But I didnt have that necessity. I am a movie freak, like to watch always from the sweet spot. Its not a restaurent where every table needs to see the screen.

Now, why did I still go for the samsung 5 series. Simple, though it had 5% less clarity (which I could recogonize) it did not add artifacts. I was sold when they played a scene from DOOM - II DVD where there is a pan shot and all the TVs except the phillips, sony X and samsung 5 series would just break the motion ( 2:3 pulldown i guess). The samsung was so smooth, it was a different experience. I watch a lot of DVDs and always hate the choppy pan / motion shots. The samsung did the trick MoviePlus feature I guess.
Also the contrast, the TV is damn bright. If you feel it is artificial you cut it down. But helps if you are in a bright room in the afternoon.

So, I have owned a 5 series for 2 weeks now, just love how the video is so smooth. For the other differences with LX800, I just couldn't make out. Plus the 5 series was a good 5k less.

Hope it helps in your choosing.

Good points reddream. Thanks for the exhaustive comparison. I am also torn between these two.
By the way, where in Bangalore did you purchase the Sammy? What was the price?

vinod,
The LX700 is very hard to find these days. I think all dealers have sold off their stocks.

- Jaganath

Hi:

These were my observations:

- Excellent SD pictures in both LX700 and LX800. Color is slightly better in 800 when compared to 700, thanx to better contrast ratio of 800.

- Terrible SQ from LX800, only two options for sound, normal mode and surround mode; surround mode offers very normal sound, i felt it was like my 21" LG flatron:eek:. Sound comes only from below the TV where the speakers are hidden, which I felt not good. Have to increase it beyond 40 for loud volume.

- Brilliant surround sound from LX700. It has three sound options. Even 25 is good volume in 700.

- Black levels same in both models, excellent.

- Both are 100 Hz TV with motion pro.

Please have demo of 700 and 800 side by side before taking the plunge.:)

Thanks for valuable support.

I wld like to know if 700 has Backlight control which 800 has?
Backlight control is very imp for getting best picture.Sam 5 has it.

Indian web tells 800 has it,but NZ models dont have.
So ps tell if 700 has?

Secondly is Sound Qy.the only problem or any other drawbacks with 800?
(I have HT setup)

Last edited:
You can get it at "NEXT" Koramangala for INR 41,500..Last week I bought it for the same price with Bread toaster as a Gift..

Land Mark: Opp. IBP Petrol Bunk , Koramangala..

Thanks for valuable support.

I wld like to know if 700 has Backlight control which 800 has?
Backlight control is very imp for getting best picture.Sam 5 has it.

Indian web tells 800 has it,but NZ models dont have.
So ps tell if 700 has?

Secondly is Sound Qy.the only problem or any other drawbacks with 800?
(I have HT setup)

Hi.

Here are the salient features of LX700:

- Screen size & shape: 32in 16:9
- Tuner: Digital
- Sound system: Stereo
- Resolution: 1366 x 768
- HD Ready: Yes
- Contrast Ratio: 8500:1
- Brightness: 450cd/m2
- OTHER FEATURES: V-real II picture processing, IPS alpha panel
- Integrated - Freeview, SRS Trusurround XT.
- SOCKETS: 3 HDMI, 2 Scart, S-video, component video, PC input, SD card slot, Optical Digital Output.

Yes, LX700 has backlight control, which you can control from the Service Menu. Since you have a HT setup, you can take the plunge and get an
LX800.

kams and reddream,

How is the sound quality on the Sammy? Most Amazon reviewers note that the sound on the unit is very tinny and recommend purchasing external speakers along with the TV. Is it that bad?

Yeah..Sound is bit weak..but ok..actually It lacks Bass..Thats is why It looks very thin..External spker is a good idea..am also thinking about that..

Hi.

Here are the salient features of LX700:

- Screen size & shape: 32in 16:9
- Tuner: Digital
- Sound system: Stereo
- Resolution: 1366 x 768
- HD Ready: Yes
- Contrast Ratio: 8500:1
- Brightness: 450cd/m2
- OTHER FEATURES: V-real II picture processing, IPS alpha panel
- Integrated - Freeview, SRS Trusurround XT.
- SOCKETS: 3 HDMI, 2 Scart, S-video, component video, PC input, SD card slot, Optical Digital Output.

Yes, LX700 has backlight control, which you can control from the Service Menu. Since you have a HT setup, you can take the plunge and get an
LX800.

Thanks,

So 700 almost has that of 800 except 24p plaback.

800 lacks PIP.

Last edited:
Hi
I have also been trying to finalize between the Panny and the Sammy for the 32'.
However, I have a couple more queries. My viewing distance is 7-10 ft and I will be watching SD and divx mostly. Will a 32' be too small. Will I regret not having bought a 37'? Picture clarity is of prime importance because I do not have any HD sources.
If 32', then between the Panasonic 32LX800 and the Samsung Series 5, the former (Panny) is a better choice. Right? Though the Samsung quotes greater dynamic contrast ratio, does anyone have information on what their native contrast ratios are?
Also, the new DTH offerings from Airtel and Reliance, which claim MPEG4 - are they any better than Tata Sky?
I know much of this would have been discussed often but still I want to be sure before making the plunge.
Thanks a lot

At a distance of over 10 ft, u can go for a 40" screen.
It will work fine.
Mpeg 4 is just a compression to beam more channels on same bandwidth.
The content is still SD which is 576i.

On a Full HD set u may get pixels or u may not find the picture quality good for regular cable or Tata sky. It will be better on a HD ready or 720p set.

If you are watching HD content then full HD is good, otherwise for watching SD content , HD ready is better.

I being a plasma fan will always recommend to audition the same , as they give u a bang for the buck, and Lcd can never match up to plasma picture quality.

If you plan to audition any sets do check out Panasonic PV8, or Samsung Series 4 plasma.

Last edited:
Thanks for your response.
Well, my viewing distance maxes out at 10 ft. More likely it is 8-9 ft. Hence I had never thought of anything more than 37' or even a plasma because they seem to start only at 40'. In 37' also, I don't find too many good options. And I don't want to end up buying a 37' and then regret the PQ for SD or divx. Hence my head says go for the "practical" 32' and heart wants to go for the 37". There is the Panasonic 37LX80 but I would have liked to go for the 37 LX 800 which is not yet available here. Any ideas if and when it will be available? The compareindia site marks it as 'upcoming'.

Hi guys,

My first post to this forum.

I was in the same dilemma when I went to purchase a 32" LCD.

Found Sony to be expensive and lacking in features.

Finalized on Samsung 5, since I felt was value for money with nice features like PIP with (HDMI, Component, AV, PC, etc), USB connectivity, good reviews.

But then, when I finally went to the shop, the guys there first tried pushing me for a Sony and then they said Panasonic is a fantastic TV ( which I knew about). So just before I could pay cash for the samy the owner told me to take a look at the LX800. He sat with me and should me the advantages of better clarity and motion side by side with a 5 series. End of it I said I want a samy. Why ?

Thanks for a very clear point-by-point comparison.
I have a PS3 for DVD playback (as well as games) - and I may have a problem with MoviePlus (Samsung "Movie Plus" causing artifacts - AVForums.com)

Also I have very sensitive eyes and I think the 100hz might help with this. I think with me the viewership is 90% TV (parents) and 10% games+DVD (me).
So, I'm hoping I'm right in thinking the 800 series is the better choice.

Thanks for a very clear point-by-point comparison.
I have a PS3 for DVD playback (as well as games) - and I may have a problem with MoviePlus (Samsung "Movie Plus" causing artifacts - AVForums.com)

Also I have very sensitive eyes and I think the 100hz might help with this. I think with me the viewership is 90% TV (parents) and 10% games+DVD (me).
So, I'm hoping I'm right in thinking the 800 series is the better choice.

Well u can always disable the movie plus and other extra options,
i have a sammy Q9 plasma, i have disabled the movie plus and Dnie on the same and set the picture settings manually, the picture looks brilliant

Hi
I have also been trying to finalize between the Panny and the Sammy for the 32'.
However, I have a couple more queries. My viewing distance is 7-10 ft and I will be watching SD and divx mostly. Will a 32' be too small. Will I regret not having bought a 37'? Picture clarity is of prime importance because I do not have any HD sources.
If 32', then between the Panasonic 32LX800 and the Samsung Series 5, the former (Panny) is a better choice. Right? Though the Samsung quotes greater dynamic contrast ratio, does anyone have information on what their native contrast ratios are?
Also, the new DTH offerings from Airtel and Reliance, which claim MPEG4 - are they any better than Tata Sky?
I know much of this would have been discussed often but still I want to be sure before making the plunge.
Thanks a lot

their native contrast for samsung 32inch is around 1800 where as the panasonic 32inch is around 800.and the sony 32inch W series is around 2500.
but for ur viewing distance although a 32inch would be fine a 37inch would be great if ur viewing distance is 7 feet and a 40inch would be great if ur viewing distance is 10feet.
well the BIG tv is better then tata sky one of reason why my friend switched from tata sky to big tv ,seeing the big tv quality in my lcd vs his tata sky in his lcd.
but bare in mind big tv as the worst customer satisfaction and service.

now all FHD tvs will suck for SD,and since u want to see primarly see SD content then get a HD ready tv like panasonic 37inch or sony KLV-37S400A.
both have similar contrast.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back