Purchased Pioneer BDP 170

accord

:):D Finally got my Pioneer BDP 170 and my 3 days experience is as below:

Stereo output is attached with Norge 1000 connected to Pioneer FS - all flac files are sounding amazing from my 2tb HDD.

Digital output in connected to Sherwood AVR - surround sound effect is now more detailed and crisp clear.

HDMI output is connected with 42" sony LED - picture effect is amazingly sharp and more detailed even with 720p movies.

WIFI tested from my iphone's hot spot - you tube worked flawless with great audio out put.

Only issue is with the remote keys being hard to press, may get smooth after use i wish.

i will also upload few pictures of my setup shortly for all respective members. :D:D

Congratulation!!! Finally got it after lot of questions :D You were really worried for 2 TB support.

Congrats @accord.
Pictures, pictures!!!
This get's me inclined to get one sooner or later. Need to use external HDD to play audio/video.
Do update with the formats you tried out.
Enjoy!

I am not sure why ppl are worried abt the 2TB drive support for this drive.
This drive has complete support on DLNA, so you can play your flacs, mp3 & videos over Wi-Fi. This has the same quality as playing through the USB directly.

You can attach the USB drive to the network by smart router or NAS. The advantage of having a network drive is that you edit the contents without connecting & reconnecting this physically. The content can be played by any device even AVR with DLNA can play the music directly - No need for a blu ray drive to do this.

I am not sure why ppl are worried abt the 2TB drive support for this drive.
This drive has complete support on DLNA, so you can play your flacs, mp3 & videos over Wi-Fi. This has the same quality as playing through the USB directly.

You can attach the USB drive to the network by smart router or NAS. The advantage of having a network drive is that you edit the contents without connecting & reconnecting this physically. The content can be played by any device even AVR with DLNA can play the music directly - No need for a blu ray drive to do this.

Ys i agree but it depends on case to case.

Congrats for your Purchase,

Could you share me some experience about the Player handling the MP3\FLAC from the Hard Disk? Like how easy the Navigation between the folders, How good the Audio Output? I have few CD and huge collection of MP3 only. I was looking for A Media Player initially But seems the BDP would be good to settle for playing music from HDD\CD\DVD\USB.

congrats and enjoy
prepress: what happened to your region free buying idea ?

Thanks dear, region free was available but with out bill through online purchase, and i dont wanna go for that way in electronics item. I am also not very keen to watch movies through B'rays as i have lots of HD movies in digital form ys music i prefer to listen with audio cd/dvd and outcome in impressive.

:)

Congrats for your Purchase,

Could you share me some experience about the Player handling the MP3\FLAC from the Hard Disk? Like how easy the Navigation between the folders, How good the Audio Output? I have few CD and huge collection of MP3 only. I was looking for A Media Player initially But seems the BDP would be good to settle for playing music from HDD\CD\DVD\USB.
:signthankspin:

Thanks dear,

Previously i have attached my HDD with Sony LED tv n results was satisfactory, now i have attached HDD with BDP and all highres media files as MP3/ FLAC/ MKV/ DTS/ DDigital are producing great sound then before. I also noticed that all five channels producing more detailed sound effects.

Navigation is good but remote keys are bit hard if i compare to sony and my sherwood avr remote. You can only navigate in other folders/ settings only If you are playing music files not if playing videos, same as with my sony tv.

My suggestion is to go for a BDP rather than a media player as you can also listen your CD/ DVD/ BR disks through that and pioneer in the only BDP in this price range which have analogue stereo/ LR output.

:):)

You have chosen the right one, I have BDP-160. So I know, with it's function it can replace most of the media player with additional benefit of disc spinning. The audio-video output also decent enough to satisfy most of the hifi lovers. I have to appreciate Pioneer endeavour to make such balanced product. I think, with such product Pioneer influenced other fellow companies to take reasonable approach towards the quality and value consumers should be offered within a range.

I just want to share my recent experience one more time when I added a passive preamp between the Pioneer BDP-160 and the power amp (Music Hall), it was a step up towards more natural, open and relaxed sound. Actually I never expected that Pioneer BDP-160/170 can take the load of passive preamp that nicely. So it can be tell that it's pre-audio out have quite decent implementation and design.

Last edited:
You have chosen the right one, I have BDP-160. So I know, with it's function it can replace most of the media player with additional benefit of disc spinning. The audio-video output also decent enough to satisfy most of the hifi lovers. I have to appreciate Pioneer endeavour to make such balanced product. I think, with such product Pioneer influenced other fellow companies to take reasonable approach towards the quality and value consumers should be offered within a range.

I just want to share my recent experience one more time when I added a passive preamp between the Pioneer BDP-160 and the power amp (Music Hall), it was a step up towards more natural, open and relaxed sound. Actually I never expected that Pioneer BDP-160/170 can take the load of passive preamp that nicely. So it can be tell that it's pre-audio out have quite decent implementation and design.

Can u please elaborate the usage and functionality of adding pre-amp in music system and additional cost of a good pre-amp. I can also add a pre-amp to my system if it gives more detailed sound.:D

Discussion about pre-amp will derail the present thread, so I will pm you later. Little goggling will help you to understand about basic audio pre-amp. By the way, what is the amp are you using for music?

Discussion about pre-amp will derail the present thread, so I will pm you later. Little goggling will help you to understand about basic audio pre-amp. By the way, what is the amp are you using for music?

Im using Norge 1000 for music.

Thanks for the feedback, I feel that I have no choice other than BDP 170, supporting HDD,Analogue Audio Out+Good DAC.

Will try ordering in couple of Days, Kindly let me know, In case anyone know for best Offers.

congrat.,.,:D
o.png

Hi accord

Does this Pioneer BDP 170 plays Blue Ray Cd's from the grey market which just costs rs200 ?

How can we benefit by analogue stereo/ LR output of this player ?

I guess this player has video processing which improves the video quality, if i connect the player to AV through HDMI - i believe both audio and video will pass to AV receiver then video to TV and sound to 5.1

This is my question, if AV receiver doesnt have any video up-scaling feature - Will the processed/improved video quality which comes from Pioneer player pass through AV Receiver with the same quality to TV ?

I am interested to buy this player so your answers will help me decide, thanks.

Hi accord

Does this Pioneer BDP 170 plays Blue Ray Cd's from the grey market which just costs rs200 ?

How can we benefit by analogue stereo/ LR output of this player ?

I guess this player has video processing which improves the video quality, if i connect the player to AV through HDMI - i believe both audio and video will pass to AV receiver then video to TV and sound to 5.1

This is my question, if AV receiver doesnt have any video up-scaling feature - Will the processed/improved video quality which comes from Pioneer player pass through AV Receiver with the same quality to TV ?

I am interested to buy this player so your answers will help me decide, thanks.

Hi dear,

I have not tried the gray market blurays will update soon.

Here is my wiring setup -

Stereo out put to Norege amp - in BDP settings stereo output set to L/R to also use L/r 5.1 signals through stereo amp (it will work as stereo output when you play stereo music and with dolby signals will work as L/R output ).
Caox output to avr for 5.1 digital signals - in BDP settings digital output set to bitstream.
HDMI output to TV to send direct video signals - in BDP settings HDMI audio output set to off.

I got this BDP from Top Gizmos, noida, you can also talk to them if he can provide that to your place.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back