Samsung LAB650 OWNERS DISCUSSION, REVIEWS & OPINION

@zabak & others who have bought this lcd

how is dth quality (airtel/tata sky) on the 40" model? Pixelation & Juddering etc.

Sd viewing (tata sky) upscaling is the premium and main feature that made me purchase this sammy. Not even older samsung models like a550 are as good as b650.

Regarding pixelation its not at all a prob.
Regarding juddering you have to tune good settings to acheive this.

Guys i need help from all of you. Please ask samsung to update their Indian firmware as they are doing for other countries. I have already initiated a fight on the link below directly with samsung. I request all of you owners to urge them to update firmware as fast as they do for other countries.

This the link - (you have to register on cnet to post)

SAMSUNG LA40B650 INDIA FIRMWARE ,INTERNET@TV FUNCTION - CNET Samsung Forums

Recently purchased B650. This thread is very useful. Thanks Zabak:)

PIP doesn't seem to work. I read on avforum that you need two tuners for PIP to work. I didn't understand this?:sad:

I have DTH and Cable connection. Is it not possible to use PIP and see both?

I did update firmware and after that cable is not working. When I switch bach to earlier firmware it works fine. (Region set to ASIA_ATV, Tuner=SEC_T)
Anyone else experienced this?

Also I noticed that in service menu EDID test was failing. I found EDID was off in some service menu. but did understand the port for HDMI 1.2 (If I remember right) option at the end of that menu. didn't set it.

Last edited:
Nikunj, i own this LCD and if can can believe me, it does have an optical audio output-

Nikisha, I got the 40 inch B650 recently in Mumbai but I cannot find an optical audio out at the back of the TV. What is the exact model number of your TV (I am assuming our models are slightly different).

Interner @TV works in India ---

Steps
1) Update formware 2001.1
2) Change region=PANEUROPE in service menu
3) Change info LINk in service menu to UK
4) select tuner=SEC_T

Done.

Now select internet@TV and it will work...!!

Thank you very much for your reply Zabak and also for all your other helpful posts.

Someone told me accessing the service menu could void the warranty. Anyone know something about this?

Also I think I read in one of your earlier posts that you had some issue with the UK firmware being configured for SCART. Could you fix the problem?

Recently purchased B650. This thread is very useful. Thanks Zabak:)

PIP doesn't seem to work. I read on avforum that you need two tuners for PIP to work. I did understadn this?:sad:

I have DTH and Cable connection. Is is not possible to use PIP.

I did update firmware and after that cable is not working. When I switch bach to earlier firmware it works fine. (Region set to ASIA_ATV, Tuner=SEC_T)
Anyone else experienced this?

Also I noticed that in service menu EDID test was failing. I found EDID was off in some service menu. but did understand the port for HDMI 1.2 (If I remember right) option at the end of that menu. didn't set it.

Lots of questions and confusion...No prob...

1) PIP works if the source is Analog and other is digital

that means two groups:
analog: RF antennae, AV input (composite) and VGA port
Digital: 4 HDMI ports, RGB connectors (component in)

2) I DID told before friend. After update follow this

Go to service menu
select region=ASIA_ATv
swtich off..

Now new firmware will work..

I can use cable and DTH as PIP because i have Component(Y/Pb/Pr) DIGITAL OUTPUT FROM TATA SKY DTH PLUS to LCD and not AV cable

In service menus for all LCD it show FAILED only..please dont try to touch it also!!!
This is by default prob from samsung in all LCDS

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your reply Zabak and also for all your other helpful posts.

Someone told me accessing the service menu could void the warranty. Anyone know something about this?

Also I think I read in one of your earlier posts that you had some issue with the UK firmware being configured for SCART. Could you fix the problem?

SCart problem is solved when you select region=ASIA_ATV

you can access firmware but please dont mess with it.
offcourse you can update with no probs. BUT BEWARE WHILE DOING THIS>>>>

Last edited:
Lots of questions and confusion...No prob...

2) I DID told before friend. After update follow this

Go to service menu
select region=ASIA_ATv
swtich off..

Now new firmware will work..
apologies for any confusion.

Thanks for the answers

Somehow Cable is not working with new firmware.
I upgraded firmware, changed region to ASIA_ATV, Cable signal is not identified. TataSky works, Internet@tv works.

I switch back to the original firmware and cable works.

Anything I might be missing?

Nikisha, I got the 40 inch B650 recently in Mumbai but I cannot find an optical audio out at the back of the TV. What is the exact model number of your TV (I am assuming our models are slightly different).

Mystery gets denser! Today I went to Croma(Aundh, Pune) and the 46 inch 6 series LA46B650 there didn't have optical audio out too. The Samsung site only mentions models like LAXX650T1R and the user guide for them doesn't show optical out too.

I searched around a bit, found one real customer complaining on the AVForum:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...50-owners-thread-part-3-a-12.html#post9924742

Can someone please clear up the confusion? For me this is the only thing which is holding me back from ordering this TV.

Also, if some one can tell me their IP-TV experience with this LCD(youtube, etc) I would be super thankful!

thanks!
-nik

Last edited:
apologies for any confusion.

Thanks for the answers

Somehow Cable is not working with new firmware.
I upgraded firmware, changed region to ASIA_ATV, Cable signal is not identified. TataSky works, Internet@tv works.

I switch back to the original firmware and cable works.

Anything I might be missing?

oh that's right may be. bec i don't have cable i didn't noticed it.

Can you please do a favor for me and all other members.

somehow post screen-shots of settings of each menu in service menu
(or write down detailed )of firmware 1004 and 2001

i am sure 2001 will work if settings of 1004 firmware are applied.

am i right...someone please confirm...?

Mystery gets denser! Today I went to Croma(Aundh, Pune) and the 46 inch 6 series LA46B650 there didn't have optical audio out too. The Samsung site only mentions models like LAXX650T1R and the user guide for them doesn't show optical out too.

-nik

I think you wud have to believe now...that this LCD HAS OPTICAL AUDIO OUT
connections%20back.jpg

I might be asking a very basic question and apologies for that but I don't know who else to ask. With Samsung LA40B650T1R, do I need an AV with video upscaling capability or not? I am in process of selecting the AV and I will be routing the Tata Sky signals thru' the AV.

Thanks in advance.

It working for me...:)

zabak just went through the thread. Very nice work I have got to say . It did get a bit messy in the beginning but now all is well I guess :) .

I totally understand the feeling of getting VFM . Seeing the capabilities of this TV now I am thinking my WD TV is redundant ! Good thing I spent only Rs2500/- to buy it :eek:hyeah: .

I plan to go for a similar TV after 6-7 months or so and I am hopeful by that time Samsung will Launch LCD's with inbuilt wireless N Adaptors ! I am sure that future updates and developments will allow you to download stuff using DAP, P2P etc . :clapping:.

Awesome Purchase Dude ! Enjoy !! :yahoo:

Read a lot of good discussions and see very satisfied users here for the SAMSUNG 40B650 LCD. However, I have a basic question for all the B650 owners here.

Many discussions on this forum actually talked about how Plasmas with their reflective / glossy panels scored a few points below their LCD counterparts that had Matt panels. Of course the Plasma camp residents on this forum will differ in opinion, which is understandable.

However, understand that the B650 model has a glossy panel. Is that a distraction for normal viewing (considering there is no window directly opposite the LCD, or an obvious light source reflecting off the screen etc.)? Did anyone of you ever think after your purchase, that it would have been nice to have had Samsung give a matt panel iso of a glossy one?

Asking because, understand that the SAMSUNG 40B650 is comparable to the SONY 40W550 which has a matt panel but nowhere close in terms of features that the B650 provides.

zabak just went through the thread. Very nice work I have got to say . It did get a bit messy in the beginning but now all is well I guess :) .

I totally understand the feeling of getting VFM . Seeing the capabilities of this TV now I am thinking my WD TV is redundant ! Good thing I spent only Rs2500/- to buy it :eek:hyeah: .

I plan to go for a similar TV after 6-7 months or so and I am hopeful by that time Samsung will Launch LCD's with inbuilt wireless N Adaptors ! I am sure that future updates and developments will allow you to download stuff using DAP, P2P etc . :clapping:.

Awesome Purchase Dude ! Enjoy !! :yahoo:

Thanks, and yes definately go ahead to purchase.
The things i like most of this LCD are:

1)Ability to play almost all movie codecs formats. Some were even not playable on my PC but when i renamed them to AVI, B650 Played them like charm.

2) B650's Deep black color reproduction.

3) DLNA and Internet@Tv

4) NTFS formatted Hard Disk as large as 500 GB playable smoothly.

5) SD Reception for TATA SKY is superb in my case.

list goes on and on.....:)

:)

Last edited:
Read a lot of good discussions and see very satisfied users here for the SAMSUNG 40B650 LCD. However, I have a basic question for all the B650 owners here.

Many discussions on this forum actually talked about how Plasmas with their reflective / glossy panels scored a few points below their LCD counterparts that had Matt panels. Of course the Plasma camp residents on this forum will differ in opinion, which is understandable.

However, understand that the B650 model has a glossy panel. Is that a distraction for normal viewing (considering there is no window directly opposite the LCD, or an obvious light source reflecting off the screen etc.)? Did anyone of you ever think after your purchase, that it would have been nice to have had Samsung give a matt panel iso of a glossy one?

Asking because, understand that the SAMSUNG 40B650 is comparable to the SONY 40W550 which has a matt panel but nowhere close in terms of features that the B650 provides.

If B650 has Matt it wud be added advantage for sure.
In my case, I have a large window facing opposite and yet i am a happy customer. But in normal viewing, it does not matter at all, and reflection is very less.

But b650 has loads of other features in price of 68000 i got than sony.

well one can compensate the glare with increasing the backlight,the distractions of glare are subjective,curious people in this forum like u and me would be looking for noise,artifacts details in shadow region,so glare will be an issue,but if u are just watching the show/movie with intrest u wont be distracted by it.offcouse in the afternoon even with a matte screen ,u can still see the glare if the windows are exactly at the back of the tv or rear left/rear right.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back