Samsung QN90A ,QN85A owners thread

Yes that's always an option. But would at least like to use the Tizen OS for some days. Everything was functioning perfectly during demo. Now suddenly I can't open a single app or app Store won't load.

I'm guessing it might be a case of failed update or something similar. The tv says it's on latest firmware.
If you use firestick and come back to TV's non android os, it would be a whole world of difference. If you have spent so much for the TV and do not spend that 4000 extra for a 4kuhd firestick, it is a situation of penny wise pound foolish indirectly. Just my 2¢. Take hotstar for instance. My lg webos cannot play hotstar like firestick does. Even lionsgate and Sony liv

Samsung QN90A (Top) vs Sony X90J ( Bottom)
Okay this is not a well shot video n it is not even 100 % in sync but you can clearly see not only Samsung gets more brighter , tad darker n whole lot more saturation n colour pop .

Samsung was in HDR standard with colour 25/50 n Sony was in Vivid with every colour setting maxed out !!!

P.S : Pls take notice how the Red colour pops n accurately so on the Samsung while it is washed out on the Sony X90J.

Which of the two tvs has a natively cooler color temp?

Yes that's always an option. But would at least like to use the Tizen OS for some days. Everything was functioning perfectly during demo. Now suddenly I can't open a single app or app Store won't load.

I'm guessing it might be a case of failed update or something similar. The tv says it's on latest firmware.
Did you inform Samsung n subsequently did someone come over yet...

Did you inform Samsung n subsequently did someone come over yet...
Yes I called up the technician who came to install the tv and he's going to visit on Monday (Sunday being a holiday).
Which firestick would you suggest? 4k is for ₹2999 and there's some 4k ultra max for ₹6k. I use the basic 2nd Gen firestick on my old tv and it's a bit laggy.

If you use firestick and come back to TV's non android os, it would be a whole world of difference. If you have spent so much for the TV and do not spend that 4000 extra for a 4kuhd firestick, it is a situation of penny wise pound foolish indirectly. Just my 2¢. Take hotstar for instance. My lg webos cannot play hotstar like firestick does. Even lionsgate and Sony liv
I get your point. But this might be used mostly by my parents once my office starts. So I really doubt they will care about all these things. But I might anyway get firestick since they're comfortable with that UI.

Yes I called up the technician who came to install the tv and he's going to visit on Monday (Sunday being a holiday).
Which firestick would you suggest? 4k is for ₹2999 and there's some 4k ultra max for ₹6k. I use the basic 2nd Gen firestick on my old tv and it's a bit laggy.
Get the basic one for Rs 2999, it will more than suffice, since your parents also consume the TV then I assume you would already be having a DTH box with HD package...lot easier for older folks to relate to a conventional set top box with its menu guide n fixed channel numbers...

I understand that there are options, I am asking about native tilt, out of the box if you will or at the same settings.
Standard mode (SDR) on both my QN90A n LG CX mode behave like typical standard mode with a predominantly bluish/ cool tinge to neutral colour temperature while Sony default standard mode has a warmer colour tone n the contrast particularly the colours seem washed out n trying to force DCI P3 or BT 2020 colour space just looks horrendous. The Samsung n LG both have Native/WCG enforced by default in the standard n few other presets n unlike the Sony my QN90A n LG CX look fantastic (Subjective) and just right while displaying SDR.

It seems the latest XR processors have got there colour science in SDR just plain wrong. However once it comes to HDR 10, HLG n especially Dolby Vision the XR processor comes into its own producing spectacular imagery.

I will recommend anyone interested in a Sony X90J , A80J should think about calibration for SDR !!! Out of the box simply won't cut it.

The QN90A is delivered and installed. The pictures look simply stunning & tried watching some cricket videos and can't see DSE at least now. But later in the night, I've ran across a strange issue - appears to be software issue. I can no longer open any app and even the app Store doesn't open. It's says the smart hub is updating.
Tried resetting & taking out power for 30 seconds & switching on again. Will see again in morning if issue persists. Everything was working smoothly when the installation was done.
How good is the viewing angle on this model given the 50 inch panel is VA. Also did you face any blooming issue because of the less number of dimming zones compared to 55 inch.

Get the basic one for Rs 2999, it will more than suffice, since your parents also consume the TV then I assume you would already be having a DTH box with HD package...lot easier for older folks to relate to a conventional set top box with its menu guide n fixed channel numbers...
Yes, DTH rules. But they're already impressed with the convenience ott platforms offer. Is firestick surely the better choice against mi android 4k box?

How good is the viewing angle on this model given the 50 inch panel is VA. Also did you face any blooming issue because of the less number of dimming zones compared to 55 inch.
I've only seen normal content so far. Watched the ipl match today from around 45-55 degree angle. And while there's definite some colour shift and brightness loss, its not unwatchable by any means.

Get the 4k ultra max one it has a faster processor and in times to come with whole lot of content with DV it will help.

Samsung Appstore has limited apps n they have an ongoing battle with Hotstar as Hotstar can only be viewed in 1080p max n not 4k !!! So my advice will be to invest in a streaming box like a Amazon 4k fire stick .
I am not sure they have a battle but since Hotstar was primarily developed as a mobile platform so the bulk of their developers are on android/iOS and a limited numbers are for tizen and webOS so it surely takes a longer time to roll out features for these operating systems vis-à-vis android (that’s where the Sony TVs have an advantage)

Get the 4k ultra max one it has a faster processor and in times to come with whole lot of content with DV it will help.
[/QUOTE]

Yes while there is no doubting that Ultra Max is much faster than the normal fire stick but my belief is once you decide to spend Rs 6.5 K on a streaming box why not spend some more and get the real deal either the Apple TV 4K or Nvidia shield !!!

Unlike the Quad core processors found on flagship TVs and the Ultra max both the Nvidia and Apple are octa core with real processing power specifically the capability to substantially enhance the Picture Quality over what you get with TVs ( Samsung + Sony + LG) own internal Apps.

Yes while there is no doubting that Ultra Max is much faster than the normal fire stick but my belief is once you decide to spend Rs 6.5 K on a streaming box why not spend some more and get the real deal either the Apple TV 4K or Nvidia shield !!!

Unlike the Quad core processors found on flagship TVs and the Ultra max both the Nvidia and Apple are octa core with real processing power specifically the capability to substantially enhance the Picture Quality over what you get with TVs ( Samsung + Sony + LG) own internal Apps.

Yes, DTH rules. But they're already impressed with the convenience ott platforms offer. Is firestick surely the better choice against mi android 4k box?
I haven't read much about MI Box but they do come with multiple USB ports though but still I will prefer Fire stick over it.

BTW did someone from Samsung come n address the issue...

More than the faster processor, it's the FireOS 7(based on Android 9) that makes it a worthy upgrade. With more 3rd party Apps started leveraging the Android 9 library, the new firestick will improve the user experience considerably.

I haven't read much about MI Box but they do come with multiple USB ports though but still I will prefer Fire stick over it.

BTW did someone from Samsung come n address the issue...
Yes. A simple hard reset was needed. I had tried to get the instructions from customer care but he couldn't provide me the information. I think the tv tried to update the software in the background and I must've powered it off leading to this situation.

Yes. A simple hard reset was needed. I had tried to get the instructions from customer care but he couldn't provide me the information. I think the tv tried to update the software in the background and I must've powered it off leading to this situation.
Glad it is all sorted :) sometimes a simple hard reset is all that is required .

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back