Sony BDP-S350 vs Pana DMP-BD30

mandeep

hello everybody,

Both these new players are priced as below in india
Sony BDP-S350 = Rs 24,990/-(as per website),profile 2.0,region:i dont know yet
Pana DMP-BD30= Rs 34,990/-,(as per pana brandshop, chandigarh) profile 1.1,region :C

kindly suggest which player to buy considering mainly picture quality/sound quality, keeping aside BD-Live etc.

Pana DMP-BD30 is best.
It has 5.1 analoge output
Lan input,upgradable.
BD1.1 compatible
Winner of grp test among Sony BDP-S350 ,samsung in whathifi.

hello everybody,

Pana DMP-BD30= Rs 34,990/-,(as per pana brandshop, chandigarh) profile 1.1,region :C

kindly suggest which player to buy considering mainly picture quality/sound quality, keeping aside BD-Live etc.

if the bd-50 is not much incrementally, then its a much better machine than either of the 2. Otherwise the 30 has slightly better features and load times and test results than the 350

Just found,Sadly, pana DMP-BD30 doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so we will only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from 5.1-channel analogue outputs. All of which means that the only way to hear high-resolution audio formats is via the HDMI output.

PS3 is useless for A/Vreceivers that can't handle LPCM over HDMI because it Lacks bitstream output, which is available on standalone Blu-ray players like the Panasonic DMP-BD30, but PS3 does have all decoders, but doesn't have 5.1 channel analog outputs.otherwise PS3 is still a very strong option.

Last edited:
hello everybody,

the pana DMP BD 30/35/35k wud be a better buy if u go by the reviews ,the BD30 retails for about 1800dhms(roughly abt 23k) in dubai when i saw it last nov ,definetly the prices wud have dropped by now,a worthwhile option to source one from there if possible when compared to 35k here

Just found,Sadly, pana DMP-BD30 doesn't sport decoders for Dolby True HD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or DTS HD Master Audio, so we will only get decoded Dolby Digital and DTS from 5.1-channel analogue outputs.

This is one of the reasons I suggested the bd-50 for futureproffing. However, if your AVR has HDMI inputs and can decode high res formats, then if you bitstream via HDMI, to let the AVR handle the decoding. So not much lost.

Guys

The Panasonic BD-30 should be compared with the older Sony BDP-S300 and not the BDP-S350 as it is a newer generation player.

The Panasonic BD-35 and Sony BDP-S350 are both latest generation players and should be compared. These 2 have got really good reviews. Similarly, the higher models of both from the latest generation would be the Panasonic DMP-BD55 and Sony BDP-S550 which are also pretty good, though more expensive than the lower models.

There still seem to be issues in all these BD players which are yet to be sorted out and in my opinion, it's gonna take some time just like DVD players. Probably in another year or two, we would have BD players as versatile as DVD players are today, being able to play any format - DVD, JPG, MP3, WMA, Super Audio CD, DVD-Audio, DivX, DivX Ultra, XVid, CDRW, DVD-RW, DVD+RW and so on. Prices would also be at much more acceptable levels by then, say around 10k.

As for myself, I plan to wait for a year or two before going in for a BD player for all these factors - lower prices, availability of a wider selection of titles etc.

Warm regards,
Venkat

Last edited:
If you're not in a great hurry, why not wait for the Oppo Blu Ray player?
Oppo has built a great rep for top quality at affordable prices.

As for myself, I plan to wait for a year or two before going in for a BD player for all these factors - lower prices, availability of a wider selection of titles etc.

Warm regards,
Venkat

I am also thinking in the same direction. Early adopters always have to pay exorbitant price for a half glued R&D prototype.

I am not much into movies but I am looking at Blu ray for its (quite promising!) Hi Res Audio capabilities. At present only one title is available (issued by '2L' records) I am sure pretty soon many record labels will start cutting audio only Blu Ray discs.

While as good as any universal player, the 983 received a lot of flak for its pricing amongst the user base esp. since blu-ray was already thrust upon us.

They wisely waited for the so called HD wars to end and align with the winner.

I doubt their BR player will be any cheaper than the current models though ofcourse better based on their history.

So just like many others I am waiting for the pricing to be a bit more reasonable and availability a bit more broad before picking up a BR player. In the meantime I am very happy with Dolby Digital/DTS/analog audio for music and video. My time scale is showing 3-4 yrs from now....

If you're not in a great hurry, why not wait for the Oppo Blu Ray player?
Oppo has built a great rep for top quality at affordable prices.

The panasonic DMP BD30 is available at modern world ,(old airport road )bangalore,,,but pricing is steep at 35k

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back