Sony Bravia vs everything else

In 2006 or so I bought a Philips 25 inch for my parents. I left to my workplace (Abu Dhabi). My parents started complaining that TV was sounding worse than my Sony Radio. My father made a complaint to Philips Cochin. They went in and made it worse. The 70 year old was made to walk from pillar to post. The Regional Manager there was rude to him and not allowing in to meet him.

😡India!!
Should try all those routes too. First was waiting for these attempts to exhaust.

After researching TVs for years I have reached one inevitable conclusion - Sony TVs are superior to everything else. Period. It's their processor. Didn't really have a point of view on TVs. I am largely a high end DIY audio person. But then after years on owning bravia - made an unthinking upgrade (size) to an LG oled. And my goodness gracious!!! the pictures after every kind of possible calibration were *unreal* . For the first time ever, I realised there were real differences among TVs. I had always assumed that they'd be minor, if at all. Answer - NOT! Sonys are just in another league. I am sure after good calibration, others can keep up, more or less - but, just buy bravia and save yourself much much trouble. I also realised incidentally - that most reviewers are paid reviewers, or so I think. Search as hard as you might, you cannot find a review that says LGs offer oversaturated unreal pictures. The completely unthinking eye will not notice, the cable TV watcher will not notice, but the rest cannot miss it. And yet you cannot find a negative review on LGs. Of course this applies only to films and general multimedia. not games!
Something wrong with your setup/settings I think.

This year I auctioned all the OLED TVs extensively, and while I ended up with the Sony A95K due to the superior QD-OLED panel (don't regret it one bit), the LG G2 was undoubtedly superior to the A80k in basically everything apart from the speakers.

When you set up equivalent modes on all TVs, the colours look very similar. There are channels like HDTVTest and rtings which will give you objective measurements on how accurate these TVs are out of the box, and the LGs are very good.

I won't disagree that Sony's processing is superior, but if the LG had the QD-OLED panel and Sony the WOLED, I'd rather get the LG. Processing difference isn't even close to the panel and tech difference.
You can same or better by paying $$$$ for MadVR processing. But no
As someone who uses MadVR on the daily on my HTPC, Sony processing and especially upscaling isn't even close to MadVR.

I have the sony and LG oleds at different rooms and like sonys much better. If anything sonys are a generation old. I have mentioned this a couple of times but then some one who 'auditioned' both and bought the LG comes along and says LG is same or better with proper tuning.
If there is anyone having both tvs and watching them on a day to day basis prefers LG, I would consider it as preference. With me though, it is not preference but sony processing is just better.
Talking only about PQ and naturalness of the picture irrespective of the content.

I have the sony and LG oleds at different rooms and like sonys much better. If anything sonys are a generation old. I have mentioned this a couple of times but then some one who 'auditioned' both and bought the LG comes along and says LG is same or better with proper tuning.
If there is anyone having both tvs and watching them on a day to day basis prefers LG, I would consider it as preference. With me though, it is not preference but sony processing is just better.
Talking only about PQ and naturalness of the picture irrespective of the content.
I'm strictly talking about this year's LG models. Last year there was a massive difference in the processing, which the C2 and G2 have mostly covered. Almost every reviewer said that the G2 is the best WOLED TV. If Sony's processing were that much better than LG, pretty sure the A80K would take that spot.

And it's not just me, the objective results prove that. You are more than welcome to check the reviews from rtings or HDTVTest or the subjective A vs B tests on Stop the FOMO.

I have the A95K and the processing is good, but it's not magical. Low res content still looks low-res and I mostly have to use MadVR with graphics mode to make it look decent. Motion processing is again not up to par with MadVR's smooth motion. Had high hopes for Sony's XR processor, it's mostly just hyped from fanboys it turns out.

Only from their high end product stable. Their low and mid range are nothing spectacular. Ie 9000 series. Recently their 8500 also gets high praises due to its VA and 120 hertz panel. LG oled will grow on you though.
May be this was true few years back. But now Sony sells everything at a premium a decision they took in 2015-16. So their lower end TVs are pretty good, they process videos and color perfectly. I have SOny x75 and it looks way better than my monitor Benq Ew 3270u. Thats a 34K INR 4k 32 inch monitor. Its DCI P3 95% monitor as well. The difference that Sony displays very natural colors. Benq display funky colors which look better than Sony x75 but they are cartoonish.

This causes video games especially looks very cartoonish on monitor. I played Resident Evil 3 on Benq and than Sony with my computer. I found on Sony eveyrthing was looking more real and natural. On Benq the same game look more cartoonish. So if you play God of war on Sony it will look more photo realistic.

PLus there is zero noise on the Sony TV. ON Benq I get a lot of noise while playing Netflix. I have never seen color gradient on Sony but on Benq color gradient is easily visible. I also used 50 inch Mi 4K TV. It was not way comparable to Benq.

Mi 4x (missing details, texture and and fine details not clear, cartoonish color)<Benq (crisp details, cartoonish color)< Sony (extremly detailed, natural color, black are slight grey - only noticable in dark room).

This benefit are not only in gaming, apart from gaming. On Sony x75, movies look too good especially if you watch older movies Sony bring them to life. My Benq was not even matching it. I tried to use my rtx 3080 to the full to process the video. But it was nowhere close to Sony. There is something about colors on it screams perfect. That said I havent tried extremly high end TV like x90k or Q90a or OLED. But if you are getting Sony budget TVs they dont disappoint a bit. But remeber SOnys budget TV are also costly.

Last edited:
Sony sent an engineer and he took pictures of the inner chasis and requested a power circuit chip from Sony. Sony responded by saying there is no spare part available and that I may just exchange it to a Sony X90k 65" new TV for Rs.1lakh 10thousand extra.

6 years it lasted. I have told them i shall get back to them. So i guess thats it then. A great 3D tv with superb brightness is gone. Richie street can be a hope. But any suggestions, guys?
could you try mailing their india and or japan ceo.I think i had done it once for a headset issue.They did fix the headset for me.But they do this quite often.They will just say that they dont havethe parts.Happened with a 2014 model sony for me too_Otherwise they will quote a much higher price where it would seem infeasible to the customer.I guess twitter and fb doesnt work anymore nowadays.Only if someone famous comments or you gather a lot of retweets or hashes it works.

May be this was true few years back. But now Sony sells everything at a premium a decision they took in 2015-16. So their lower end TVs are pretty good, they process videos and color perfectly. I have SOny x75 and it looks way better than my monitor Benq Ew 3270u. Thats a 34K INR 4k 32 inch monitor. Its DCI P3 95% monitor as well. The difference that Sony displays very natural colors. Benq display funky colors which look better than Sony x75 but they are cartoonish.

This causes video games especially looks very cartoonish on monitor. I played Resident Evil 3 on Benq and than Sony with my computer. I found on Sony eveyrthing was looking more real and natural. On Benq the same game look more cartoonish. So if you play God of war on Sony it will look more photo realistic.

PLus there is zero noise on the Sony TV. ON Benq I get a lot of noise while playing Netflix. I have never seen color gradient on Sony but on Benq color gradient is easily visible. I also used 50 inch Mi 4K TV. It was not way comparable to Benq.

Mi 4x (missing details, texture and and fine details not clear, cartoonish color)<Benq (crisp details, cartoonish color)< Sony (extremly detailed, natural color, black are slight grey - only noticable in dark room).

This benefit are not only in gaming, apart from gaming. On Sony x75, movies look too good especially if you watch older movies Sony bring them to life. My Benq was not even matching it. I tried to use my rtx 3080 to the full to process the video. But it was nowhere close to Sony. There is something about colors on it screams perfect. That said I havent tried extremly high end TV like x90k or Q90a or OLED. But if you are getting Sony budget TVs they dont disappoint a bit. But remeber SOnys budget TV are also costly.
However i feel the quality of their x80j and x85j tvs arent up to the mark compared to what they offered just a few years ago.The body of the tvs has flex in them.I dont know if they have carried those to thier current generation models.I guess they are now more focussed on their oled models.The lcds often seem like an afterthought

However i feel the quality of their x80j and x85j tvs arent up to the mark compared to what they offered just a few years ago.The body of the tvs has flex in them.I dont know if they have carried those to thier current generation models.I guess they are now more focussed on their oled models.The lcds often seem like an afterthought
Yes, Plastic is not premium. BUt chipset is completely sealed which is a good thing since in many metro cities due sewer gases chipset get damaged.
x85J is OK but i have heard that it has issue of cutting horizontal resolution into half at 120 hz. So I would steer away from it. A lot people bought it up for using as monitor and where left disappointed.
Also have a look at this review, it explain why x80J is good for its price range. You cant go wrong with it.

could you try mailing their india and or japan ceo.I think i had done it once for a headset issue.They did fix the headset for me.But they do this quite often.They will just say that they dont havethe parts.Happened with a 2014 model sony for me too_Otherwise they will quote a much higher price where it would seem infeasible to the customer.I guess twitter and fb doesnt work anymore nowadays.Only if someone famous comments or you gather a lot of retweets or hashes it works.
They dont display their top bosses email ids. Infact their offer of X90K 65" for Rs1,12,500 more òr A95k 65" for Rs.253000 are my only options left with them. They are not willing to offer an exchange for other sizes.

So looks like X90k for additional Rs.1,12,500 is the only way out. Does anybody have the contact number of a reliable TV service mechanic in Chennai please? Tia.

I contacted some TV repair guys and they say if Sony claims no spare parts available, then it is futile searching for a needle in a haystack. They say it is better to go with their offer. But their offer in X90k is not a lot more than the normal retail price of 1.4 lakhs. About 27,000 discounted. So Sony TVs in general do not have spare parts and can become expensive over years.

Calibrate your monitor. That Benq has a good, high-quality panel.

Calibrate your monitor. That Benq has a good, high-quality panel.
Its not that great, it has plethorea of issues. Review seem to be glorfying this monitor. I would say its OKish monitor for the price.

Last edited:
I contacted some TV repair guys and they say if Sony claims no spare parts available, then it is futile searching for a needle in a haystack. They say it is better to go with their offer. But their offer in X90k is not a lot more than the normal retail price of 1.4 lakhs. About 27,000 discounted. So Sony TVs in general do not have spare parts and can become expensive over years.
They HAVE to supply you with the spare parts for your TV. I have filed a Case in the consumer court against LG for a similar issue. The motherboard of my old TV cooked off and they said no spares available. I filed a case against them and they magically found the part after 3,4 months.
However the court still awarded me 50k plus 9.5% interest as compensation. This did involve multiple visits to the consumer forum and the judgement was passed almost 2 years after I filed the case, so keep that in mind.

Edit: My TV was a 2011 model and case was filed in 2018 , so our timelines are pretty similar with regards to age of the TV.

They HAVE to supply you with the spare parts for your TV. I have filed a Case in the consumer court against LG for a similar issue. The motherboard of my old TV cooked off and they said no spares available. I filed a case against them and they magically found the part after 3,4 months.
However the court still awarded me 50k plus 9.5% interest as compensation. This did involve multiple visits to the consumer forum and the judgement was passed almost 2 years after I filed the case, so keep that in mind.

Edit: My TV was a 2011 model and case was filed in 2018 , so our timelines are pretty similar with regards to age of the TV.
The manager of the service center says this is the best he can do. I can take Sony to consumer court but is cumbersome and more over this TV was once sold to a tenant for 45k and I bought it back from him for 40k. Now if I get a 27k benefit the 5k i gained from the selling and buying back gets the TV 32k salvage. Plus if after i repair it, something else goes wrong, it would make no sense. So I am thinking to take their exchange offer.

They dont display their top bosses email ids. Infact their offer of X90K 65" for Rs1,12,500 more òr A95k 65" for Rs.253000 are my only options left with them. They are not willing to offer an exchange for other sizes.

So looks like X90k for additional Rs.1,12,500 is the only way out. Does anybody have the contact number of a reliable TV service mechanic in Chennai please? Tia.
let me check if i have that mail id with me.If i get it i will DM you

This is the problem why most dont even go to consumer forums and these companies know that pretty well

The manager of the service center says this is the best he can do. I can take Sony to consumer court but is cumbersome and more over this TV was once sold to a tenant for 45k and I bought it back from him for 40k. Now if I get a 27k benefit the 5k i gained from the selling and buying back gets the TV 32k salvage. Plus if after i repair it, something else goes wrong, it would make no sense. So I am thinking to take their exchange offer.
Yes i think thats the way to go.As i told you similar was the case with me but in my case they were trying to exchange it with a FHD sony as mine was the KD W820 i suppose.However the price they quoted for the new tv was way above the online and offline rates at that time and hence the exchange made no sense at all.So i just didnt take their offer and went ahead and purchased a new one.

Yes, Plastic is not premium. BUt chipset is completely sealed which is a good thing since in many metro cities due sewer gases chipset get damaged.
x85J is OK but i have heard that it has issue of cutting horizontal resolution into half at 120 hz. So I would steer away from it. A lot people bought it up for using as monitor and where left disappointed.
Also have a look at this review, it explain why x80J is good for its price range. You cant go wrong with it.

well but the x80j has a really bad panel quality.i checked two tvs at the offline shop itself.Multiple light bleeds and DSE.The light bleeds are an eye sore actually.I wont say the PQ is bad but due to medium brightness i think the details in the dark backgrounds are a bit muffled/muddied(if u understand wat i mean).comparing that to a 32W80k in my bedroom i dont know why but its a bit brighter and these images in the dark are a bit more pronounced and visible.This is also one of the major diff i saw btw 80j and 85j too but the 85j in heightning the brightness screws up certain portions of the image by messing up the contrast in the picture to an extent.
sony i think is knowingly f**kng up its low and mid tier to push people to higher models.otherwise theres no possible explanation for having a 4K tv having a shitty build compared to my previous Sony FHD from 2014 .I am not going into the PQ because of the diff in sizes and resolutions btw the two.but here too i feel i liked the PQ of the previous one much much better and that really surprises me because hey how can an FHD look better than a 4K.I dont know.could be my eyes playing the trick on me.

Yes this is a good option , but the prices they are offering you don't seem great. I bought a new A95k during the Diwali sale for 2.53, which is the same price they are offering you. Some members got it for even cheaper. Not sure about the X90k.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back