Tata Sky launches Tata Sky+ HD at just Rs. 3999/

I too had a tough time convincing the CC to activate the Grand Package + HD package promised 1 month free with HD PVR. Seem the CCEs have not been briefed. After 48 hours of struggle, managed to get Grand Package (1month free) & HD Package (2month free).

Guys any idea about the connection ports available with the STB...??

I am looking for "optical out", is it there with TS HD+??

Ok guys. I have reliance digital tv for the last couple of years with me and contrary to most people, I have been happy with it. I was planning to take the plunge into HD DTH before cricket world cup. But I had reliance in mind as they offer some discount for existing customers. But this offer looks very good.
Can anyone please point out the advantages and disadvantages of going for tata sky + HD vis a vis Reliance digital HD recorder, keeping in mind that I am an existing reliance digital tv customer?

@mgdelhi: How did you get your connection bro? i just called the CC and they refused to share any information regarding +HD as it has not been launched yet.

I desperately wanna watch the weekend's football matches over hdmi :(

I got a call from Tata Sky and they are going to install today at around 2:00 PM. :)

When did you book?
I booked on 10th - and I called up just now after reading your message, they said "Your box has not been received as yet - will let you know once we have it" :(
Waiting.... not patiently....

^
Good to see you here also MG; Mine will also be delivering today at 4pm at my delhi address...

Thanks dkaile and congrats. :)

@mgdelhi: How did you get your connection bro? i just called the CC and they refused to share any information regarding +HD as it has not been launched yet.

I desperately wanna watch the weekend's football matches over hdmi :(

When did you book?
I booked on 10th - and I called up just now after reading your message, they said "Your box has not been received as yet - will let you know once we have it" :(
Waiting.... not patiently....

I and my friend (in Gurgaon only) booked it on 10th with some push from someone senior in Tata Sky. His is being installed as I type, and after his, they will come at my place to install it. :yahoo:

Mine just got delivered at my delhi residence; will pick it up tomorrow to set it up in meerut; will need to contact CC for these free package deals mentioned in this topic or maybe will go for the mag pack at 5301/-...

Hi,

I just got it installed. Booked it on 10th night!

the installation
the total install took 2 hours because of the unique complications that I faced. the service guy was knowledgeable and efficient.

I needed the ts+HD installed in the place of a TS+SD. the TS+Sd was to move to another room and replace a TS-SD. the TS-SD was to move to a third, new room.

installing the tS+HD first; firmware refused to upgrade with 2 seperate cables from the building distribution system. attaching a y cable to single feed finally worked; and we were up and running.

The 2nd complication was change of subscriber card. apparently the card in the TS+SD was the "master card" so it needed to go into the TS+HD. consequently there was a card-stb mismatch error, which took a few calls to the helpline to fix.

3rd complication - in the rejuggling of cards.. the PINs got mixed up and then another round of calls to helpline to reset PINs

4th complication - the Tatasky+SD refused to record when installed in the new location. msg -"your tatasky+ facility has expired". another round of calls. bonus complication - the old sky+ recording refused to work. apparently - they are tied to the card.. and we had just changed cards - net result.. a format of the HDD to get everything working just fine. (the wife is not thrilled that her serials have disappeared)

then the wiring for the new room.. you'll agree that 2hours is a pretty good job given the issues. total cost Rs 100 - for an additional joint.

i did give some "gratification" to guy for being extremely positive and efficient.

the experience

the screenies have already been put up so,i'll not clog up with more shots. the box is less wide, taller and about as deep as the old ts+ fit and finish of the old ts+ looks a bit better IMHO; though the new remote is far more snazzy, again IMHO.

TS+HD connection is via hdmi to denon 1611 for both audio and video. picture quality of Discover is great in low motion scenes. there are some compression artifacts esp around the logo; but overall a picture you can easily live with. it's connected to my absolute "budget quality" croma 47" FHD, so you can expect the tv not to do any processing. vieing distance is about 7-8 feet. Nat geo seemed a bit less quality (there were high motion shots) but overall still nice. it's no BD, but it covers about half the distance between a high quality DVD and a high quality BD.

seing Star plus and star plus hd (which is upscaled) sequentially, gives you a clear picture of where the extra bits are going.. there is absolutely noticeable difference.

the trial recordings that i did are again pretty good.. no noticeable difference between the original program and the recording.

audio - I'm not getting dolby 5.1 or anything like that. need to investigate further.

any questions, please feel free to ask.

I am running around trying to get credit details of a card that allows OTP transactions.
The BOBcard that i have doesn't have this feature :(

One good thing is that i have been constantly receiving calls from the Sales Dept. in Chandigarh to follow up. The lady on the other hand has been extremely helpful.

Why don't they have any other payment option is beyond me, stupid TS :|

I tried to book on the 11th, but the server was slow is what CC reported. But they were very prompt in keeping me informed. Finally, I managed to book one today morning. Also got a call, saying it should be installed tomm!

Hi,

I just got it installed. Booked it on 10th night!

the installation
the total install took 2 hours because of the unique complications that I faced. the service guy was knowledgeable and efficient.

I needed the ts+HD installed in the place of a TS+SD. the TS+Sd was to move to another room and replace a TS-SD. the TS-SD was to move to a third, new room.

installing the tS+HD first; firmware refused to upgrade with 2 seperate cables from the building distribution system. attaching a y cable to single feed finally worked; and we were up and running.

The 2nd complication was change of subscriber card. apparently the card in the TS+SD was the "master card" so it needed to go into the TS+HD. consequently there was a card-stb mismatch error, which took a few calls to the helpline to fix.

3rd complication - in the rejuggling of cards.. the PINs got mixed up and then another round of calls to helpline to reset PINs

4th complication - the Tatasky+SD refused to record when installed in the new location. msg -"your tatasky+ facility has expired". another round of calls. bonus complication - the old sky+ recording refused to work. apparently - they are tied to the card.. and we had just changed cards - net result.. a format of the HDD to get everything working just fine. (the wife is not thrilled that her serials have disappeared)

then the wiring for the new room.. you'll agree that 2hours is a pretty good job given the issues. total cost Rs 100 - for an additional joint.

i did give some "gratification" to guy for being extremely positive and efficient.

the experience

the screenies have already been put up so,i'll not clog up with more shots. the box is less wide, taller and about as deep as the old ts+ fit and finish of the old ts+ looks a bit better IMHO; though the new remote is far more snazzy, again IMHO.

TS+HD connection is via hdmi to denon 1611 for both audio and video. picture quality of Discover is great in low motion scenes. there are some compression artifacts esp around the logo; but overall a picture you can easily live with. it's connected to my absolute "budget quality" croma 47" FHD, so you can expect the tv not to do any processing. vieing distance is about 7-8 feet. Nat geo seemed a bit less quality (there were high motion shots) but overall still nice. it's no BD, but it covers about half the distance between a high quality DVD and a high quality BD.

seing Star plus and star plus hd (which is upscaled) sequentially, gives you a clear picture of where the extra bits are going.. there is absolutely noticeable difference.

the trial recordings that i did are again pretty good.. no noticeable difference between the original program and the recording.

audio - I'm not getting dolby 5.1 or anything like that. need to investigate further.

any questions, please feel free to ask.

I too had a similar issue as I replaced my existing TS+ with TS+ HD day before yesterday.The technician had a tough time trying to make the new STB work with my existing card. It took around 1 day for it to be done after lots of calls to CC and then to the installation team lead (I got his number from the technician ).
The whole issue was I wanted the balance of my existing TS+ to be transferred to the new connection. As per the technician, this apparently was the first such case in bangalore and it took a lot of time :mad:

Finally things got resolved yesterday. Apparently my balance was tranferred to the new card that came with the new STB but the technician was under the impression that the existing card was to be used for the new STB!

I then connected the hdmi of stb to my denon 1910 avr and to my surprise I did not get dolby surround sound in any of the HD channels. I rebooted the STB , my avr and tried for sometime but to no avail.
Later in the night, I connected optical out from stb to my avr and then it was available !!

Again called the team lead today (I was sure CC would not be able to understand this ) and explained the issue. He conferenced me to some other guy and then after explaining the issue to both of them came to know that dolby is not available thru hdmi. This is as per design !!!:mad: Can you beleive it ?

They just assumed that everyone would connect the hdmi to tv directly and hence its a waste to provide dolby thru hdmi !! I could not beleive my ears !!.

Both of them said that they will take my feedback and let their superiors know about this issue. They refused to accept it as a defect

Right now I have connected stb hdmi to TV directly and the optical out to my avr.

Apart from this the picture quality has improved over TS+ in all channels. the HD channels look awesome.

Waiting for the world cup to be broadcast in HD ...:)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back