Upgrade from Norge 1000

Vijay_s

Currently for music I use Whaf 9.1 + Norge 1000 combination which is connected to M-Audio 2496 Card.
Planning to upgrade from Norge 1000 to suitable Amplifier which have a digital Input.
Budget is 25000
Used AVR also considered
Use - 70% Music 30% movie
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hi svkndv,
Generally speaking a stereo amp would deliver better quality than an AVR of same price range. Hence, focus first on stereo amps. If you like the sonic character of Wharfe 9.1, then I can suggest NAD 325 and Marantz 6003, that are known to be complementary to Wharfe 9 series.

These amps are overpowered for the 9.1, however I am assuming that you will outgrow the 9.1 sooner than later, and then for next level of bookshelf speaker you would need nothing less than these amps.

regds,
Sonosphere

Currently for music I use Whaf 9.1 + Norge 1000 combination which is connected to M-Audio 2496 Card.
Planning to upgrade from Norge 1000 to suitable Amplifier which have a digital Input.
Budget is 25000
Used AVR also considered
Any suggestions?

Hi,

It is Marantz 7003 or 8003 undoubtedly, but 9.1 will not do justice to both. So get better speakers like MS Aviano-2 or PSB Image B-6 , then you have to be liberal with your budget.

N.Murali

2nd Option
I think MS Aviano-2 + NAD 325 is a budget comnbination. But unwillingly I have to sell off Wharf 9.1 and Norge 1000 :-(. Is it ok to keep Wharf SW150 Woofer for the new combination or should I sell this as well?

1st Option
Is there any other option where I can keep my speakers and go for an AMP which drive 9.1 + SW150 combination?

Last edited:
Hi,

When I auditioned MS Aviano-2 with Marantz PM 5003 (35 wpc) , the bass was more than adequate, eliminating the need for a SW.

N.Murali

Hi,
See my options in response to your options below:

I missed the SW 150 in your signature. Considering the SW 150 in your setup, below options are presented:
Option-1- If you are happy with the sonic-character of 9.1, and are looking for proprotionate improvement in that character, then even NAD 315, and Marantz 6002 will give you an improvement in sonic-details compared to Norge-1000.
Option-2- If you want a different character than 9.1, (say you want more mids than the recessed mids you get from 9.1), then you need to change the speaker along with the Norge-1000...

Option-2a- and if you find the SW 150 doesnt match the character of the new bookshelf, then you need to change the sub OR buy a bookshelf that delivers good bass and sell of the sub (This means a BS costing bet'n 25k to 45k + NAD 325 /Marantz 7003).

Let me know which option you prefer.

Regds,
Sonosphere

2nd Option
I think MS Aviano-2 + NAD 325 is a budget comnbination. But unwillingly I have to sell off Wharf 9.1 and Norge 1000 :-(. Is it ok to keep Wharf SW150 Woofer for the new combination or should I sell this as well?

1st Option
Is there any other option where I can keep my speakers and go for an AMP which drive 9.1 + SW150 combination?

Hi,
See my options in response to your options below:

Let me know which option you prefer.

Regds,
Sonosphere

At present I opt for NAD 325 considering the hassle and delay involved in selling speakers. 3-4 months down then line if I am able to sell Wharfedale combo for a reasonable price can think about new speakers.

Hi,
Though both NAD-325 and Marantz-7003 are great amps at that price-range, though with very different signatures. Can you share with us why you have opted for NAD325 instead of Marantz 6003/7003? Is it because of signature /price /availability /serviceability factor?

Regds,
Sonosphere

At present I opt for NAD 325 considering the hassle and delay involved in selling speakers. 3-4 months down then line if I am able to sell Wharfedale combo for a reasonable price can think about new speakers.

Considering any of the following combinations, Can you guys evaluate let me know the best combination.

PSB Image B6 Bookshelf
MS Aviano 2

PM7004 INTEGRATED AMPLIFIER, Is 7003 available i could not find it in their website.
Denon PMA-510AE (Rs 17900)

Any idea on the price of these speakers and amp?

Last edited:
2nd Option

1st Option
@svkndv
My advise is keep the sub till you upgrade to the new combo. SW150 is the best sub for both music and movies under 300. Sell the sub only after you make sure you don't need the sub with the new combination any more.

Hi,

When I auditioned MS Aviano-2 with Marantz PM 5003 (35 wpc) , the bass was more than adequate, eliminating the need for a SW.

N.Murali

@murali_n
I agree with you the Aviano-2 has good bass. That doesn't mean it will eliminate the need of a sub. A good sub not necessarily just increases only the bass but also it makes feel the sound stage to be larger when integrated well.
Me having the Mezzo-2's I'm considering buying a sub after my experience demoing a sub at one of the hi-fi shows.
The sub I demoed was a REL G-2 500W sub weighing 50 kilos. The sub was switched on and switched off intermittently in the demo. With Sonus faber Guarneri Memento Speakers it hardly felt that the sub was on but it definitely helped in making the sound stage feel larger.

My intention of selling the Sub is mainly due to space constraint. there is no space to keep 2 subs in my hall, anyway i cant remove the sub of Onkyo 3300 so this has to go.
@svkndv
My advise is keep the sub till you upgrade to the new combo. SW150 is the best sub for both music and movies under 300. Sell the sub only after you make sure you don't need the sub with the new combination any more.

@murali_n
I agree with you the Aviano-2 has good bass. That doesn't mean it will eliminate the need of a sub. A good sub not necessarily just increases only the bass but also it makes feel the sound stage to be larger when integrated well.
Me having the Mezzo-2's I'm considering buying a sub after my experience demoing a sub at one of the hi-fi shows.
The sub I demoed was a REL G-2 500W sub weighing 50 kilos. The sub was switched on and switched off intermittently in the demo. With Sonus faber Guarneri Memento Speakers it hardly felt that the sub was on but it definitely helped in making the sound stage feel larger.

Hi svkndv,

If the Amp is NAD , the Speakers have to be PSB Image B-6.
I have heard this speakers with NAD 315 amp and the combo was sweet sounding, and was quoted @27k for the pair.

N.Murali

Hi svkndv,

If the Amp is NAD , the Speakers have to be PSB Image B-6.
I have heard this speakers with NAD 315 amp and the combo was sweet sounding, and was quoted @27k for the pair.

N.Murali

can you suggest a matching amplifier for Aviano 2 speaker?

How do you rate the combination of Denon PMA-510AE + Aviano 2

Last edited:
Hi svkndv,

For MS Aviano-2 , Marantz PM 6003 matches well , I have this combo and enjoy them thoroughly. :yahoo:
You can also try Cambridge Audio as well. But audition before you take a call.

Sorry I have not heard the Denon model yet, so cant commen't, but have heard the Yamaha AX497 with Wharfedale 9.5 it sounded very well, the Yamaha model was quoted 18.5K (85w pc). A still newer model from Yamaha the AS-500 has also had good reviews in Whathifi, must be costing almost the same. Audition these 2,as they are good VFM options.

If you want to enjoy a still better combo (of course at a higher price), try PM 8003 + Dali Ikon-2 . I heard this combo at a forum members place yesterday and it was very detailed, the source was CD 6003.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Last edited:
Thanks Murali, What was the price of Marantz PM 6003 when you bought it. I heard from few friends that PM 6003 is underpowered to drive Aviano 2.

Hi svkndv,

For MS Aviano-2 , Marantz PM 6003 matches well , I have this combo and enjoy them thoroughly. :yahoo:
You can also try Cambridge Audio as well. But audition before you take a call.

Sorry I have not heard the Denon model yet, so cant commen't, but have heard the Yamaha AX497 with Wharfedale 9.5 it sounded very well, the Yamaha model was quoted 18.5K (85w pc). A still newer model from Yamaha the AS-500 has also had good reviews in Whathifi, must be costing almost the same. Audition these 2,as they are good VFM options.

If you want to enjoy a still better combo (of course at a higher price), try PM 8003 + Dali Ikon-2 . I heard this combo at a forum members place yesterday and it was very detailed, the source was CD 6003.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Hi svkndv,

I purchased the PM 6003 from Singapore, cost me about Rs.13500/- . Though Aviano-2 is rated at 120w i.e it can handle higher powered amps, I do not accept that PM 6003 is low powered to drive Aviano-2. In fact PM 5003 could drive Aviano-2 with ease.

Yesterday, I heard Both Rotel RA06 & Marantz PM 8003 with Dali Ikon-2, I felt that the Rotel sounded a bit refined and had a good grip over the speakers, from this it cannot be inferred that Rotel is a better amp than Marantz. Rotel may sound inferior when compared to Bryston, so we have to stop somewhere in our comfort zone (as much as our purse permits).

I think Rotel, Marantz, NAD, Cambridge Audio are all on the same league, and for each his own.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

I would also backup this combo.

Very true.

Presently i am listenting to the marantz pm 6002 and dali lector 2, quite warm and soothing sound they produce, seems like made for each other:) good soudstage, image etc you get with this combination, deeper bass, richer and full presentation in mid size room.
In short i may say, you wouldn't go wrong with this combination.

Budget is 25000
Used AVR also considered
Any suggestions?

Used AVR ? Are you contemplating to have HT also in future. Then compromise on Music quality to some extent. Pick NAD, cambridge or Marantz AVR. As you have SW 150 with you buy centre and surrounds as & when your pocket permits.

Regards

@OP,

If you can source a yamaha RXV-667 from abroad , you can get it under 25k.. And it has preouts so you can pair your amp as well.

:) Kittu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back