viewing distance

Hi,

An absolute question to anyone who has experience in this matter:

My viewing distance is 8.5 feet, And apart from HD stuff (Asus O!play and XBOX360 gaming) I will watch a lot of DVDs, all orginals, no pirated stuff...Do you think I will enjoy it in a 46" 1080p screen or will it be too big given the viewing distance?

Why am I asking here instead of just checking in the showrooms - cause I did and it did not look good, but one forum member pointed out that it may be due to the fact that the TV was upscaling instead of a good DVD player and the fact that in the showroom the signal is shared among so many TVs, which actually could be a reason...unfortunately I have no way of checking otherwise. In my auditions I saw a lot of noise around the edges and the picture looked softer than I want it to be.

My DVD player is Cambridge 540D, upscales quite nicely, so thats not a problem for me..

Hi,

An absolute question to anyone who has experience in this matter:

My viewing distance is 8.5 feet, And apart from HD stuff (Asus O!play and XBOX360 gaming) I will watch a lot of DVDs, all orginals, no pirated stuff...Do you think I will enjoy it in a 46" 1080p screen or will it be too big given the viewing distance?

Why am I asking here instead of just checking in the showrooms - cause I did and it did not look good, but one forum member pointed out that it may be due to the fact that the TV was upscaling instead of a good DVD player and the fact that in the showroom the signal is shared among so many TVs, which actually could be a reason...unfortunately I have no way of checking otherwise. In my auditions I saw a lot of noise around the edges and the picture looked softer than I want it to be.

My DVD player is Cambridge 540D, upscales quite nicely, so thats not a problem for me..

The room, where we have temporarily table mounted our 50" Full HD plasma, has a viewing distance of about 8'. I was apprhensive about this 'small' viewing distance before we brought the plasma home but none of my family members is feeling odd watching cable TV from this distance and we find it okay. My son is loving PS3 from this distance. However, we have not watched any DVD on it as yet (the plasma was installed day before yesterday only).

But I can't say if all others would also be comfortable with this kind of viewing distance. May I suggest that you go over to someone's home who has a 46" TV and judge for yourself.

The room, where we have temporarily table mounted our 50" Full HD plasma, has a viewing distance of about 8'. I was apprhensive about this 'small' viewing distance before we brought the plasma home but none of my family members is feeling odd watching cable TV from this distance and we find it okay. My son is loving PS3 from this distance. However, we have not watched any DVD on it as yet (the plasma was installed day before yesterday only).

But I can't say if all others would also be comfortable with this kind of viewing distance. May I suggest that you go over to someone's home who has a 46" TV and judge for yourself.

You just responded to a post that's almost 4 months old:)

My viewing distance is 96" (8 feets). I went to hyper city to check out correct size, but couldn't decide on correct one, even after looking at 32" and 40" tv for 4-5 minutes. They was running LG demo disk and I and my wife both got headache when they started playing basket ball demo. Images was moving very fast in basket ball demo and since there was lots of tv's in row, we caught headache due to fast motion. Is this normal?.

I will mainly use this t.v. for watching downloaded movies and HD channels and concessional news channels in tata sky SD.

What do you think correct size is for 8' viewing distance?

I have a 32" Samsung LCD. I use following viewing distances depending on the source
2' - For editing 10MP+ photos from my laptop connected through a VGA. I keep brightness specifically low for this.
3' - For FullHD Blu-rays (1920x1080@24p).
6' - For DVDs and real HD channels from DishTV.
8' or more - for SD channels from DishTV.

I have never faced headaches or eye-strain.

i just bought 32" tv and my viewing distance is 84 to 95 inches and it looks just fine. (note room size is little bigger then this i am talking about viewing distance from my eyeball to tv).

Guy's I feel like For LCD's we should maintain distance calculation. Other wise we will see all the noise in picture when watching SD videos. Which is very worse and irritating. But when it is coming to PLASMA, It's okay to come front because it won't produce much noise as LCD. That is why please who have 42" are comfortable at 8feet

the main factor to determine viewing distance is video content. 1080p requires less distance compared to 720p. SD viewing will require the greatest distance since sitting too close for SD will increase pixelation and video noise. Once content has been ascertained, then viewing distance can be established accurately.

what aakashr says is ABSOLUTELY true!...also to add u sit at a place adjacent to tv ,relative to how much u want some sort of in home cinema effect from ur Tv( speaking mainly of Plasma & BIG tv,50"+)
i mainly watch hd/fhd on a 51"Fhd tv from 6-8' distance,which i find the perfect sweet spot to have some kind of immersive cinema effect...though i have option to sit at my other sofa/seating area at more distance in my 25ft long room.yes with a FHD tv & corresponding content to match, u can get so close & have the best view!

Yup, source content quality is the most important factor while deciding viewing distance. One should decide the kind of content that is going to be watched. The higher the resolution, closer you can sit without letting the pixels distract you.

Last edited:
hi,

Need TV for bedroom with viewing distance not more than 6-7feet.
Should I go ahead with 42 inch plasma or 32 inch LED? (need full HD)

I feel 42inch will be too big, whats geek say?

hi,

Need TV for bedroom with viewing distance not more than 6-7feet.
Should I go ahead with 42 inch plasma or 32 inch LED? (need full HD)

I feel 42inch will be too big, whats geek say?

The distance chart applies to all kinds of TV - LCD/LED/Plasma

Thumb rule to get a fatigue free viewing distance with LCD panels is to multiply the screen size by 3 and that is your distance in inches.

For example, with a 40" panel the correct distance would be 120" or 10 feet. For a plasma panel this distance is reduced by approximately 15% so 8.5 feet in this case.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back