viewing distance

Assuming ideal viewing angle of 30, then one can easily work out the ideal viewing distance as follows:

ViweingDistance.png

p/s. I hope that I have got the mathematics right. :D:eek:

I put this in anotehr thread but forgot this was the main thread. The Q:

If we sit closer for a smaller TV, is it the same as sitting further away from a larger TV?

eg if I get a 40" and sit closer, will it be the same as watching a 50" from my usual watching position?

If true, then:
1) I spend less by getting a 40" and use the savings to upgrade sound
2) I spend the same by getting a higher end 40" for better PQ

Your thoughts please... thanks!

If we sit closer for a smaller TV, is it the same as sitting further away from a larger TV?

eg if I get a 40" and sit closer, will it be the same as watching a 50" from my usual watching position?

If true, then:

all depends how u see it.partally true at 8 ft and 50 inch Or at 6 ft and 40 inch..are same..but yes if you have a sitting distance fixed a sofa or bed like at 7 ft and no problem with budget....50 will be good.and say 4 ft fixed then 40 will be good......but still thats all my assumption..

.its u only who can decide by checking it in a showroom.or more experiment thermocl sheet cut it 40 inch and 50 inch.put it.see it it in ur room.check which is pleasing you.

lastly if you always play hd stuffs from hd channels and ur players bigger is always better.

If true, then:

There are two ways of looking at it.

Just TV/No HT: In this case, you can go for a smaller size TV and reduce viewing distance. But human eyes are sensitive to artifacts. The closer you sit, the easier it is to identify artifacts and vice versa. So while watching SD content, it is better to be a little away.

TV + HT: To enjoy the theatre experience, the speakers must be at an optimum distance. There will be a sweet spot where you will get the best sound experience. If your viewing distance is close, and the speakers (comparatively) far off, the listening experience is lost. Assuming a distance of 10 feet between left and right channels and a distance of 12 feet between front and rear, the sweet spot will be 10 feet from the front and center of left and right. Now, if the TV is 42", the viewing experience will not be as good as a 50".

what about the viewing height? I mean the height of the center of the screen with respect to the eye level of the viewer? especially for people using projector. For TVs, I guess it doesn't matter much.

Recommend viewing height is that eye level is at the horizaontal center of the screen - TV or Projection screen. Slight above the center is also OK.

The thing is that neck should be crammed after watching for long periods.

Height - depends on your neck comfort. At your most comfortable position, the spot that you can see without moving your eyes - place center of TV there.

hi,
I am confused between 42ST50 and 50ST50 panny plasma for living room.
Viewing distance is 7 feet with maximum SD channels on Tata sky'
Thx

I have Samsung ES6200 40 Inches. As per the discussions, I set to >2 times ie viewing distance is between 80 - 100 inches but getting eye strain / headache. I too observed that when I see the same for HD channels, I am not getting eye strain and headache. But when I view the same for SD channles, I am getting eye strain and headache. My settings are as follows

Viewing Distance - between 80 - 100 inches
Contrast - 100
Sharpness - 100 ( Blurred in SD if I go too near..Awesome in HD )
Colour - 45
Brightness - 65
Picture Mode - Standard
Resolution - 1080i

Please do tell me the viewing angle and if my viewing angle is correct, do I need to change the settings ? If so what will be the best settings for SD and HD channels ?

Perhaps your contrast, brightness and backlight settings are too high. Try reducing that. If possible, move a little back. Some people are more prone to headaches while sitting close.

And then this is something I am very seriously mentioning. Get your sugar level checked. Check for signs of glaucoma or peripheral vision impairment. Perhaps there is nothing to worry about. People with glucoma/diabetes are also prone to headaches when exposed to strong/bright light/images.

If I am setting contrast and sharpness to 75 / 75, I am not getting a good clarity. Reducing the sharpness alone to 75 reduces the sharpness of the picture. If I set the backlit to less than 10, screen becoming dull. So whats the correct settings ? As per the discussions above, my viewing angle is between 80 - 100 inches ( for 40 inches ie > 2 times ) . Is this also correct ?

Last edited:
If I am setting contrast and sharpness to 75 / 75, I am not getting a good clarity. Reducing the sharpness alone to 75 reduces the sharpness of the picture. If I set the backlit to less than 10, screen becoming dull. So whats the correct settings ? As per the discussions above, my viewing angle is between 80 - 100 inches ( for 40 inches ie > 2 times ) . Is this also correct ?
Download the AVCHD.exe from this website: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. You must download the DVD version if you do not have BD burner. Create a DVD calibration disk and use the disk for calibrating properly.

Thanks for the reply and the link.

But for viewing HD channels, I don't have any eye strain / headache even if I set to contrast and sharpness as 100 ( Clarity is awesome ). I don't even get a single bit of eye strain / headache. But when I watch the same for SD channels, I am getting the headache / eye strain. Is the above link is for HD settings ? I don't need calibration for HD as it is awesome. I need proper settings and viewing angle for SD channels in order to avoid eye strain / headache.

Samsung Default settings for Picture ( Awesome clarity but getting eye strain / headache ). Eyestrain is avoided if I view at 120 inches or more but still getting a slight headache.

Picture - Dynamic
Backlit - 20 (20/20)
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 45
Sharpness - 55
Colour -55
Advanced Picture Mode - Cool

Thanks

Back