viewing distance

Last week I purchased Panasonic 42ET5D (3D LED)..my viewing distance is 9 feet. With the factory default settings, I got severe eye strain and felt dizziness. The second day I was seriously thinking how to sell the TV and get a 32 incher :)

After changing the settings as below, all troubles gone away!!
Backlit - 25
Contrast - 60
Brightness - 50
Sharpness - 30
Colour -50

I guess there is no hard and fast rule for the settings, it all depends on the individual. With the factory settings, my family didn't have any issues at all!!

Well before purchasing a high definition television it is important to take the tv viewing distance into consideration and no need to be confused at all as far as i know then in general viewing a normal user can view an hdtv screen from as close as 1.5 times the screens diagonal measurement.

hi i would like experts advice on this veiwing distance in my bedroom is abt 9 n half feet can i get 46inch tv for dat distance im using 32 inch currently

A 50 inch Tv can be viewed from a distance of 7 feet comfortably, if the content is full HD. Don't worry, for the first few days the TV may look very large from that distance, but after that you will wish that you have bought a 65 inch Tv. Trust me, it did happen to me. I have a 50 inch panny plasma and I prefer to watch it from a distance of 6 to 8 feet, and the TV looks very small to my eyes like I said.

For me 55 from a distance of 8ft is perfectly fine... These days there are so many hd channels...

A 50 inch Tv can be viewed from a distance of 7 feet comfortably, if the content is full HD. Don't worry, for the first few days the TV may look very large from that distance, but after that you will wish that you have bought a 65 inch Tv. Trust me, it did happen to me. I have a 50 inch panny plasma and I prefer to watch it from a distance of 6 to 8 feet, and the TV looks very small to my eyes like I said.

I too feel the same. My 51inch seems smallish from 9-10ft distance. But alas, >51inchers were way out of my budget. :(

For 3D content, its worse. I sit at 4-5 ft from my screen. But the experience is awesome, almost like in a cinema.

The message: Buy a TV as big as your wall/wallet will allow. You will still regret it in 6 months for not having bought a bigger one though.

The real tragedy here is that there is no intermediate size between 32 and 42. Also the size of your TV has become a status symbol. Hence people who would otherwise be fine with a 32 usually end up buying a 42. Viewing distance is not only a function of size but also of the resolution of content. If you want to watch SD content then a 32 inch screen will look good at 10 feet and a 42 at 14. Any closer and you will be able to see grains. For 1080i or 1080p the optimal distance is 5-8 feet for 32 inches (provided you have a full HD TV) and 10-14 feet for 42 inches. (I am perfectly comfortable watching a 42 inch from 10 feet with full HD content) But I sometimes wish they had a 37 inch screen size in LED panels. They used to before but not today.

not really..
for sd yes 32 is perfect.
for sd content and 40 inchers..7 feet is fine..colours faded..yes true..but not grainey
for hd content and 40 inch..5-6 feet is perfect..
for hd content and 14 feet distance...even 100 inch is not enough..

Abroad, 36" size is often found. In India, this size is not promoted because manufacturers fear that this size will eat into the 32" segment where the profit is more. If one calculates very carefully, one will realize that 32" in 16:9 format is same size as a 29" CRT in 4:3 format and yet look at the price difference.

T.................... If you want to watch SD content then a 32 inch screen will look good at 10 feet and a 42 at 14. Any closer and you will be able to see grains..................

I disagree to this. I watch SD channels at about 10 ft on my 43 inch plasma. the kids watch at even shorter distance. The view is simply geat with lot of detais No grains. The thumb rule of twice the diagonal size for HD and three times for SD do hold good.

Bit confused in selecting the LED TV size for my new home,planning to place this in the living rooms and the length of the room is 11 feet, actual confutation is to select 42 inch or the 46-47 inch? People close to me say bigger the better, but size of the room need to considered.Could some one help me to fix this.

I watch 50" at a distance of 9'. Very initially it used to feel grand and even very big, now it feels just about OK and even small. Go for largest size possible.

Second that. Wall to wall its about 12 feet i n my living room. Panel to eye its about 10.5 feet, approx.

Initially, for 2 weeks the 50s60 was grand. But now every one got used to it. Including my parents.

Also please make sure the picture setting are mild.

I think the bigger point here is the size of the TV as a large object in a smallish room which will be of concern to many people.
Best would be to get the dealer to send both sizes and choose the one that suits you. Try to visualize if you would get used to the bigger size in a few days. I think also that you will.

I agree, this is madness. I have a 32 cause I usually sit like 2m or 1,5m from the TV and this is perfectly enough. But maybe I just don't have problems with my ego ;)
No sane person has.
I myself feel 32" is the ideal size for me too. I am so glad that I have a resisting power to reject some popular nuisances which float over internet for some period, in this matter the unnecessary recommendations of huge/monstrous Televisions ;)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back