VU TV owners thread

Well,
I got answer from VU support them.
They have confirmed that this TV and all Full HD models DO NOT have optical out.
Only their Ultra HD models have optical out.

They have also confirmed that none of the VU TVs have HDMI ARC.
This is a huge bummer for me as my current 32" Samsung TV ( 4 yr sold) has optical out and I can bitstream DD/DTS audio to my receiver using that.

It is becoming clear that these companies like VU and Micromax are employing cost cutting on areas less visible to normal public.

So,basically this rules out VU or Micromax for me. Back to Sony and Samsung!

There are few threads going on Vu TV and this one looks like the most comprehensive one. So, I will post my experience here and if deemed I will open a separate a thread for the review of the TV.

I just ordered the LEDN50K310X3D which is 50" 4K Vu Iconium Series TV. I will be getting it tomorrow. This is for my parents and for them any basic tv would do (as per them) as long as it is bigger than their 32" Toshiba LCD. Once we
get the TV, I will post details.

Some one has a query that 'does this TV has HDMI ARC' and the specs clearly say it. I do not understand the confusion. Also, regarding the optical out passing 5.1 coded signal, I really doubt that. Unfortunately I can not check that, as parents do not have a AV receiver. But if this is a must, then I would skip any brand which does not bother to explicitly mention it or can not be checked personally.

More later!

Some one has a query that 'does this TV has HDMI ARC' and the specs clearly say it. I do not understand the confusion. Also, regarding the optical out passing 5.1 coded signal, I really doubt that.

I do not own a AV reciever but i can share this much, I have the VU 55 4k and in the menu it has the option to pass RAW as well as PCM audio via the Optical out. So i assume it should be able to pass 5.1 audio. (i am passing it to a SMSL Sanskrit DAC so for me its pure stereo)

Also regarding the ARC it does have the option to select ARC First for one of the HDMI ports clear mentioned as ARC. Now again, I do not have a AVR so can not check this. :p

Hope this will be of some help.

I also purchased vu 50inch 4k model from flipkart. It arrived yesterday now waiting for installation. Will be using it as a monitor to game at 4k using gtx 980ti. Will do a small review, I just hope the tv can do 4k@60hz

50" 4K Vu Iconium Series TV - LEDN50K310X3D

Quick Update - The TV came yesterday as scheduled and it got installed today. Set it up a bit and it is all looking very promising. Will write more in a day or two with some pics

Installation was done today. I was happy to find out it can do 3840*2160@60hz ycbcr420 limited range 8bit color depth. It can also do 40296*2160@24hz RGB full range 8bit colour depth.

Out of the box calibration is really really bad even presents are way way off. Spent a good deal amount of time calibrating and now its excellent. Day 1 impressions For 50k this tv is worth every penny.

Out of the box calibration is really really bad even presents are way way off. Spent a good deal amount of time calibrating and now its excellent. Day 1 impressions For 50k this tv is worth every penny.

Hi, Can you please post your settings that you are using so that I can try them on mine too? Thank You.

Okay this settings will work nicely in bright to dimly lit room.

Picture mode: theatre
brightness: 50
contrast: 42
color: 45
aspect ratio: wide
backlight: off: 44

advanced picture settings.
Overscan: off
tint: 0
sharpness: 5
ultra smooth motion: off
noise reduction: off ( turn to middle when watching lower then 4k source)
adaptive contrast: off
color temperature: warm

now white balance use 2 point and then calibrate its time consuming but worth it. You will have to do it yourself based on your own preferences and also its necessary for better PQ. Same goes for color tuner depending on youre source and content been watched.
You need try these setting by urself.

Cons
1>tv does not have a power button physical power on/off button or at least I didn't find it yet. While trying to play a 4k 10bit hevc through usb tv stopped responding to remote had to unplug it.
2>upscaling is below average and incase of 480p and 720p its bad very bad.
3>issues faced so far, clouding yesterday but not present today not even a little. Dead pixels was making my wallpaper shine that's why I noticed it turned off and on again. It disappeared weird.
4>sound below average but there are advanced sound option for configuration like digital audio output pcm and raw.
Tv speakers and ARC and pass through options

Last edited:
So vu 4k tv can not play 4k 10bit hevc files? Such a bummer. I think you shouldve used the usb3 port. And i also want to know more about the upscaling since most of my content is downloaded 1080p at around 3000-5000kbps bitrate (arnd 3-6gb to give u an idea of the 1080p quality). So how bad will the upscaling be with these kind of content.

Please let me know about these things since it'll be almost a deal breaker for me if the file format support and upscaling is so bad. Thank you.

Off course I used the USB 3.0, what I noticed was 4k x265 10bit mkv hangs up the tv but 4k x264 mkv plays. Also 4k x264@60fps was stuttering a lot dropiing frames not at all smooth 60fps playback.
1080p hevc 10bit mkv or mp4 no problem. All of files played as they are suppose to.
One more thing I noticed is when we use USB to play movies the upscaling is pretty good albeit you have a nice quality 1080p.
Don't worry about the files some files are encoded differenlty from others maybe you're files might work. Just use USB 3.0 to play 1080p it will upscale nicely.
Use the settings I have posted in this thread I will be adding advanced settings as well for color tuner and white balance, trust me these settings will make the viewing experience the best you can get from this tv

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. My 100% usage is 1080p downloaded content (movies and tv shows) and i'll be using the optical out for surround pass through to my yamaha yht 196 htib.

Is the VU 4k Model really worth it ? Or just get the basic model the display is not that great on basic model

Is the VU 4k Model really worth it ? Or just get the basic model the display is not that great on basic model
This is an individual mileage thing. If I have to buy the TV for my parents then I would save about 16K INR and get the FHD instead of 4K. But if it is for me, then I would go for 4K version as I like the Smart features as well as the way it does 4K.

Off course depends on the usage typical family watching then big screen and fhd is more then enough.

Anyone knows how to enter Service Menu for VU 43D6535? I tried the method mentioned for other VU tvs - go to sound, select balance, press 1 9 6 9 but nothing happened... :(

So I picked up a 65" Iconium TV from Flipkart and it was installed today. I chose to have it wall mounted which essentially involved fixing a horizontal bar onto the wall and hanging the TV on it via two hooks on top of two vertical bars fixed to it. It felt very secure and provides tight access to the ports on the side as there is just enough space for the hand to reach in. The stand was included. After playing with it I must say I am really impressed. Since I replaced a 55" LG TV, the size increase wasn't overwhelming but impressive nonetheless. But what struck me was the impressive picture compared to the LG. While the latter looked a little processed, the VU videos simply popped out due to the vibrant colors and deep blacks. I am also guessing that the upscaling of 1080P content to 4K helps. You can almost smell the beads of sweat in the closeups of the IPL players! I played a couple of 4K videos at 60HZ and 29.97HZ via a USB 3.0 flash drive after downloading them and they were buttery smooth with beautiful colors. I haven't properly calibrated it yet so these opinions are just by eyeing the picture after toning down the brightness, contrast, color and adjusting a few other controls but am expecting it to get even better after proper calibration.

Attachments

• IMG_1882.jpg
    IMG_1882.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 180
  • IMG_1884.jpg
    IMG_1884.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
So I picked up a 65" Iconium TV from Flipkart and it was installed today. I chose to have it wall mounted which essentially involved fixing a horizontal bar onto the wall and hanging the TV via two hooks on top of two vertical bars fixed to it. It felt very secure and provides tight access to the ports on the side as there is just enough space for the hand to reach in. The stand was included. After playing with it I must say I am really impressed. Since I replaced a 55" LG TV, the size increase wasn't overwhelming but impressive nonetheless. But what struck me was the impressive picture compared to the LG. While the latter looked a little processed, the VU videos simply popped out due to the vibrant colors and deep blacks. I am also guessing that the upscaling of 1080P content to 4K helps. You can almost smell the beads of sweat in the closeups of the IPL players! I played a couple of 4K videos at 60HZ and 29.97HZ via a USB 3.0 flash drive after downloading them and they were buttery smooth with beautiful colors. I haven't properly calibrated it yet so these opinions are just by eyeing the picture after toning down the brightness, contrast, color and adjusting a few other controls but am expecting it to get even better after proper calibration.
Your writeup just wanna makes me buy this UHD TV right away...

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

So I picked up a 65" Iconium TV from Flipkart and it was installed today. I chose to have it wall mounted which essentially involved fixing a horizontal bar onto the wall and hanging the TV on it via two hooks on top of two vertical bars fixed to it. It felt very secure and provides tight access to the ports on the side as there is just enough space for the hand to reach in. The stand was included. After playing with it I must say I am really impressed. Since I replaced a 55" LG TV, the size increase wasn't overwhelming but impressive nonetheless. But what struck me was the impressive picture compared to the LG. While the latter looked a little processed, the VU videos simply popped out due to the vibrant colors and deep blacks. I am also guessing that the upscaling of 1080P content to 4K helps. You can almost smell the beads of sweat in the closeups of the IPL players! I played a couple of 4K videos at 60HZ and 29.97HZ via a USB 3.0 flash drive after downloading them and they were buttery smooth with beautiful colors. I haven't properly calibrated it yet so these opinions are just by eyeing the picture after toning down the brightness, contrast, color and adjusting a few other controls but am expecting it to get even better after proper calibration.

Congrats!... Please share complete review, it will be helpful. How does it feel watching cricket? I am planing for 55" 4k VU. Is it worth to spend on it. Please share more details.

the reason for this is Dled which provides deeper black that's why you felt that PQ is better then LG. Give it sometime you will surely realize that PQ was better on LG.

Congrats! I got the installation guy for a flexi wall mount and he got me one for 1500/-. I think that is the best investment I made for my TV. Now I can easily plug in and out the chromecast and any other cables. Plus while watching TV I pull it out so that the distance from wall is approx. 6 inch allowing air to flow. I am also impressed by the picture quality of my VU specially the blacks.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back