Which CDP to buy

AMITNOIDA

Hi
I have shortlisted my 2.0 system with following combo:

Usher BE-718 speaker
Jatton Operetta Power amp
Lyrita tube Preamp

Now the remaining is a CDP. Need your suggestion in the following three price ranges:

1) < 25K
2) < 50k
3) < 100k

Franky my budget may be between the first two price ranges. But if the suggestion in the third price range gives marked improvement I may go for it.

I have plan to go to Singapore + Malayasia in Dec'09 after my son's CPT exam. If it makes sense to get from there, may suggest.

Actually, after shortlisting my CDP I will approach Viren with the necessary info of Output Voltage of Source and Input Sensitivity of Amp for any modding, if necessary.

Thanks

Amit

WOW....that a cool amount of equipment & cash for your new CD player.

My pic is the Marantz SA8003.

For a lot more cash I would still pick a Marantz but this time the SA-15S2

Not sure what ou will be modding. One of the top ones I have listened to lately is Music Hall Maverick SACD/CD player which is the same as Shanling SCD-T200 tube CD player except its solid state. Excellent output and the best part is that Music hall is less than half price of the Shanling. Apart from these there are other brands like Arcam, Naim, Rega etc.

Hi

Usher BE-718 speaker
Lyrita tube Preamp

Now the remaining is a CDP. Need your suggestion in the following three price ranges:

1) < 25K
2) < 50k
3) < 100k

Franky my budget may be between the first two price ranges. But if the suggestion in the third price range gives marked improvement I may go for it.

I have plan to go to Singapore + Malayasia in Dec'09 after my son's CPT exam. If it makes sense to get from there, may suggest.

Actually, after shortlisting my CDP I will approach Viren with the necessary info of Output Voltage of Source and Input Sensitivity of Amp for any modding, if necessary.

Thanks

Amit

Hi Amit:

<25k -> Marantz PM6003
50k-100k -> Naim 5i

These two from what I've heard, but there is many more in the 100k mark, which folks who've heard will suggest you.

:)

Hi Amit,

Glad to know that you have now settled on a pre/power and speaker choice. I would say you have made the best choice under the circumstances.

Now to answer your query on CDP:

Around and less than 25K: I have not heard all the very new ones, but my favorite in this price bracket was the Marantz 6002. The newer Marantzes like 6003 and 7003 should also be very good. I have no idea about the 7003 price, much above 25K, I would say. The Nads are also very good : the 525 and the cheaper 515. I loved the older 542 at around 30K. The new model is 545 and I have not heard it.
Contrary to popular notion the CA CDP's are not among my favorites up to this price point and that includes the 640c v2, a highly acclaimed CDP for the price.

Around 50K : Here I would mention the Arcam FMJ CD17, Creek Evo CDP and the CA 740c. I have not heard the Arcam, but according to reports by particleman and dinyaar, it is very good. The Creek Evo is also very good, lively and fast; I auditioned it extensively approx a year ago when I bought my CDP. Which brings me to my CDP the CA 740c. I'd say you listen to this one and compare it to the Arcam CD17, if possible. I am interested to know your impression, because at the time of my purchase and later I have heard almost everything in that price range except the Arcam and still like the 740c.

I do not know the price of the Marantz 8003, but most Marantz CDPs are very good and solidly built. Another interesting prospect around 50K is the Denon DCD 1500AE CDP. I have heard good things about this one from a few owners. The higher Denon CDPs have a full-bodied smooth sound that is loved by some people who are used to analog sources.

Between 50K and 1L: Some or most of these CDPs can take balanced inputs and play other formats like SACD etc. The Arcam FMJ CD37 costing around 1L is the one to beat here, according to all reports. Particleman owns this one. Roksan also has a CDP that WHF always raves about. Around 70K, the CA 840c is a great CDP. You can ask Shaizada about this, because he was praising this one some time ago. Both the 740c and 840c are very very popular CDPs in their price range in the US. Both also double up as very good DACs because both have two digital inputs. Nad also has a 60K+ CDP that can do all this.

Besides these, there are of course some tube CDPs like the Cayin CDP 50 and the Jolida 100 CDP. I heard the Cayin and it has a very fluid and fullsome sound. Our forum member SuhasG raves about the Jolida which is also very popular among classical listeners in the US. Pune has a dealer for Jolida. These would be priced between 60 and 70K, i would think.

Marsilians has suggested some interesting CDPs. Music Hall always makes some interesting products. Rega CDPs are very good, but I do not think you get them in India. All Naims are way overpriced in India.

I hope I have not missed too many possibilities.

Regards.

Last edited:
Amit
My suggestion is to go with a cheaper transport + good DAC. This will give you flexibility as well in the future. I like NOS DACs but this is a personal preference.

cheers

Hi

Usher BE-718 speaker
Lyrita tube Preamp

1) < 25K
2) < 50k
3) < 100k

Thanks

Amit

I can merely guess what ur set up will sound like as i have never heard any of the components, only read about them.
I will list out my options for cdps in the budgets.
1)< 25K Marantz SA 7001. Few guys in bbay have managed to get new units of this discontinued player for 25/27K. IMO worth it. Better build, more musical than 6002 and can only fall short with complex material.
Alternatively a NAD C542. I had this and i like it but there are always some issues with these cdps (rejecting CDs, loader problem, etc)
2) <50K I cant really think of a particular one and am out of touch of currently available cdps as i have stopped reading WHF & AVM:D
Option i would look at is Arcam CD 192 which goes for 38/40K used.
3) <1L Arcam FMJ CD 37
Alternatively with different sonics MArantz SA 11S2 (grey price is around 1.05L)

Will be great if u could lug from sgpore as prices will be lower.
Rgds

A friend of mine has a Bluenote Stibbert II for sale for well below a lac as he upgraded to a Reimyo+TEAC VRDS. I can honestly say that this will murder everything out there below a lac. It is based on the PCM1704 converter and has a fully discrete output stage. Brilliant sounding cd player.

Thanks once again to Asit, Cranky and Dinyaar for your enriched suggestions. You were instrumental along with ROC and Sridhar in selection of my Amps. Not to forget the suggestions of marsilians, Vinod, Spiro, Sandeep and Sridhar for CDP.This forum is really bringing to me all enjoyable moments and gem of helps.

I will take some time to list the suggestions in three price categories and go through net reviews. Audition of few common brands (like Marantz, NAD, CA etc.) at Delhi may not be problem, but audition of brands like Naim, Arcam, Creek, Crayin, Jolida etc. at Delhi is difficult. In this context It would be extremely helpful, if I could talk over telephone with you some of you guys specially, Asit, Cranky and Dinyaar. If you are not averse to get phonecall from me as a forum member for my further understanding , you may please PM your contact telephone nos.to me.

Thanks
Amit
Cell: 91 9811922755

Amit

Any particular reason you are looking for a CDP. You already have a PC with a good sound card isnt it.

Your thought process could be useful to me.

I am exploring all non CDP options a) DVDP + DAC, b) PC with good Sound card c) PC + DAC. Any thoughts on this.

Amit

Any particular reason you are looking for a CDP. You already have a PC with a good sound card isnt it.

Your thought process could be useful to me.

I am exploring all non CDP options a) DVDP + DAC, b) PC with good Sound card c) PC + DAC. Any thoughts on this.

Actually, my PC is in my bedroom, where I am using Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker. Considering the space constraint and bed etc. I have changed my mind and decided to have the 2.0 audio system in my drawing room, where I will be able to provide more breathing space to speaker and there will be no furniture in between the speaker and my listening seat. As there is no PC in my drawing room, I am planing to go for CDP. It will be a pure music set-up.

However, I will use my PC for movie and also for music in my bedroom using Altec Lansing 2.1 system for the time being. The sub in my Altec Lansing 2.1 gives workable bass while watching movies. Later, if I feel the need I may go for better system (economic 2.1 system with integrated amp at moderate budget). This may be Wharf 9.1 or PSB Alfa with an economic Amp and Sub.

As I have changed the place of my stereo system from bedroom to drawing room I have changed the speaker from my earlier choice of ProAc 1SC to Usher BE-718.

Anyway, what about your final speaker selection?

Hi Amit,
U have changed to the drawing room from the bedroom as its larger i guess? Hence the change from mini monitor to largish SM?
Very different speakers. Pro acs have super 'tone'. Heard the signature 8 just a couple of days ago and they are wonderful tiny speakers. Cant expect them to go down low but rest is very good.
Yes u are welcome to call whenever on 98210 34414.
Rgds

Hi Amit,

I sent you a SMS from my personal cell late last night. Hope you got it.

I am glad if you benefitted even an iota from my suggestions. Compared to dinyaar's experience and cranky's technical knowledge I consider myself almost nobody.

I'll tell you one more thing. Just like you are thinking about all electronics and speakers, carefully choose your cables too. Just this morning I swapped my amps and connected my CDP to my old amp (basically lying idle) with a new cable I have been using with my new amp. I didn't hear my old amp with this cable. A remarkable improvement of an amp I was using for the last 20 years. All I want to say is that there exist not-too-expensive cables which are super performers.

Regards.

hey Amit,
I think it is a very good decision as your thought process and choices were restricted by the constraints of the room.
Since you already have a good PC, I would like to suggest you to use a squeezebox classic (or maybe SB touch if it is still out in the market). You may use an ipod touch as a remote.
This will save you from a lot of media management hassles. You can keep your PC as your primary source to rip and organize music.

regards

Actually, my PC is in my bedroom, where I am using Altec Lansing 2.1 speaker. Considering the space constraint and bed etc. I have changed my mind and decided to have the 2.0 audio system in my drawing room, where I will be able to provide more breathing space to speaker and there will be no furniture in between the speaker and my listening seat. As there is no PC in my drawing room, I am planing to go for CDP. It will be a pure music set-up.

However, I will use my PC for movie and also for music in my bedroom using Altec Lansing 2.1 system for the time being. The sub in my Altec Lansing 2.1 gives workable bass while watching movies. Later, if I feel the need I may go for better system (economic 2.1 system with integrated amp at moderate budget). This may be Wharf 9.1 or PSB Alfa with an economic Amp and Sub.

As I have changed the place of my stereo system from bedroom to drawing room I have changed the speaker from my earlier choice of ProAc 1SC to Usher BE-718.

Anyway, what about your final speaker selection?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back