Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

I have a feeling that all PEASD/PEALP series from HMV sound great.
Second ranking will be MOCE series.
HFLP are reprints that sound dull. But like an exception HFLP of 'Raampur Ka Laxman' sounds better than its first print.
Usually all polydor /MIL will sound awesome.
Probably this was something to do with the money they spent in the recording or reprining the vinyls.
Technology moving further...and yet we need to keep fingers crossed while we gamble on quality of newly pressed vinyls.. That's a shame to SONY and UNIVERSAL audio ...They need to rethink on bringing in vinyls of older movies..They are not capable of doing this..Another worst example is Bhoot Bangla..the new pressing...Probably a pre-recorded HMV audio cassette would sound better than new vinyl... Tragic killers of Vintage..
Totally agree with you. I do have both Door Ka Rahi & Padosan in rerelease (1992) pressings, both are dull even in cassettes sounds better. Mostly Polydor / MIL vinyl pressing are excellent, exception like Ghungroo Ki Awaaz.

Has anyone tried the newly released LPs by Universal? I have bought some of them. I listened to Abdullah. It sounded just as good as the orignal vinyl which I also have.
Sorry ! Till now not taken the risk to play gamble with new release.

Prem, I think, I have a few Angel/Odeon copies of Navrang. Let me see if I can spare a few!
I also have quite a few K L Saigal on Angel first copies, superb pressing.
I have few Angel & Odeon EP's, they all are excellent pressing, I can feel the artist breathing.

I was interested in getting Jagjit Singh’s newer albums like Face to face, Marasim, Parwaaz, Koi baat chale on LP. Since all these are digitally recorded and well mastered on CD will there be any significant improvement in the LP version? I would like to hear from members experience.

I was interested in getting Jagjit Singh’s newer albums like Face to face, Marasim, Parwaaz, Koi baat chale on LP. Since all these are digitally recorded and well mastered on CD will there be any significant improvement in the LP version? I would like to hear from members experience.
Agreed.. I'm also waiting for a response to decide whether I should invest in those.

Got "1942 A Love Story" last Friday from Amazon.. Really disappointed. After Albums like Sapnay and Pareenita expectations were quite High. But felt really sad will the recordings.

Got "1942 A Love Story" last Friday from Amazon.. Really disappointed. After Albums like Sapnay and Pareenita expectations were quite High. But felt really sad will the recordings.
I had called the seller he said these new releases are pressed from digital sources. Is it so? If yes does it make sense in spending 1.5k on vinyls?

I had called the seller he said these new releases are pressed from digital sources. Is it so? If yes does it make sense in spending 1.5k on vinyls?
It should make sense if the vinyl release is mastered well compared to CD pressing. IMHO, with digital masters, record labels should go for a good quality digital release instead of making money by offloading poor quality vinyl. Looks like they’re trying to pour more fuel where there’s fire :)

I'm a big fan of JS & have few original pressed LPs of live performances. I have Marasim LP also, recording is good IMO, one can feel texture, weight and depth of legends' voice when one glass in hand ;-).

I'm a big fan of JS & have few original pressed LPs of live performances. I have Marasim LP also, recording is good IMO, one can feel texture, weight and depth of legends' voice when one glass in hand ;-).
Have you done a comparison with the CD releases? Is it similar sounding or better?

records that can amaze you, not necessarily with quality of songs but definitely with quality of recording/pressing

RDB
THE BURNING TRAIN, HUM KISISE KUM NAHEEN, IJAZAAT, MASOOM, KAUN KAISEY, SHALIMAR, SHAAN, SWAMI DADA, SITAMGAR, TERI KASAM, SANAM TERI KASAM, KARISHMAA, INAAM DUS HAZAR, DACAIT.......

EP- RED ROSE

Bappi Lahiri
DISCO DANCER, KASAM PAIDA KERNEWALE KI, TAXI CHOR, PATITA, EK BAR KAHO, SHIKSHA, FARAIB.......

Kalyanji Anandji
YUDH, VIDHATA, KALAKAR, QURBANI, LAWARIS, DON.....

Laxmikant Pyarelal
KARZ, RAJPUT, KARMA....

Rajesh Roshan
DES PARDES, LOOTMAR, MAN PASAND, JOHNY I LOVE YOU, HAMARI BAHU ALKA, EK DAKU SHAHAR MEIN, APP KE DEEWANE..........

Hemant Bhosle
BARRISTER, SANSANI, SHRADHANJALI, BANDHAN KACHHE DHAGON KA

Babla
KAISE BANI, KUCH GADBAD HAI, MEETHA ZEHAR, KHARA KHOTA, AB NA JAIBE

Jatin Lalit
JO JEETA WOHI SIKANDAR, RAJU BAN GAYA GENTLEMAN, YAARA DILDARA.....

misc
VISHWATMA, SADMA, CAR THIEF.....

there are lot lot more, BTW THE BURNING TRAIN shouldn't cost one more than 1.5K, those who are planning to buy without any delay buy as much as possible, soon hindi OST LPs are going to be antique!!!! thanks to our USD hungry sellers who are mindlessly exporting our own stuff, and we are left disgruntled

Thanks for a list beyond the usual suspects!

I was sure that it would come up;). I never possesed, nor heard the 'Burning Train' LP so I didn't write about it. :sad:Though I have heard about it a lot. Also couldnt find it with any lp sellers. I am sure it must be a great pressing but still to hear it.
Same goes for Nikaah.
I have got most of the Lps mentioned by Shivam except Khel khel mein. Totally agree with him.
call me i have 3000 lps old is gold rare number

Being a loyalist to R.D.Burman, I can recommennd these vinyls for superb listening pleasure. Although Panchamda was very particular about all his recordings, these vinyls would be worth special mention. Some expensive vinyl market price (Kolkata) have also been quoted here.

HMV LP

Dil Padosi Hai (Double LP - very balanced recording, mint condition price around 10,000), The Burning Train (mint copy price around 800), Gurudev (the first pressing without cover-price around 6,000) Alibaba Aur 40 Chor (500), Chor Police (2,500) ,Sitamgar (mono recording, 600) , Hum Kisise Kum Naheen (mint 800) , Kaun? Kaise?? (mono recording *** - 3,500), Lava, Masoom (mono recording), Swami Dada

HMV EP:

Devata, Red Rose, Rang Birangi

Music India / Polydor LP - All these are superb.

Abdullah , Ameer Aadmi Ghareeb Aadmi, Duniya, Mahaan, Pukar, Rocky, Saagar, Sanam Teri Kasam, Shaan, Shalimar, Sholay

CBS LP

Andar Baahar (very balanced recording), Ram Tere Kitne Nam

Pink Sound LP

Jagir

The Oriental Record Gramaphone Record Co.

Karishmaa

T-Series

Zabardast, Samundar

Will come up with few more.

Karz (Laxmikant Pyarelal), Disco Diwane, Star also sounds heavenly.

Sourav
hi can u buy one lot 3000 lp each 5 dollar each 90% have very , call me

Compared to other Indian mastered vinyls and regardless of music it contains with repeated listening I find (1) Chala Wahi Desh (2) Begam Akhtar in memorium (3) Ghar (4) Gharonda (5) Ankahee interesting. Other worth listening are Saath Saath, Guide, Bandini/Sujata. Most other are already posted. :)

Side note : Vinyls to avoid are (33 rpm) Yadon Ki barat, Abhimaan, Daag, Ajnabee/Amanush. Few with message like "To preserve the authenticity this vinyl is produced as it is" I think they have half circle on front with Title "Hits of Suman Kalyanpur" or something. Will check and post.

Regards

I have noticed that among the bigger three music directors of t8he 70's, Laxmikant-Pyarelaal were the least advanced in terms of sound recording quality. Their sound is less defined, more radio-ish. RD Burman's is a mix, but has quite a few with good sound recording (while Sholay clearly underwhelms). But his speciality of innovating with instruments and arranging still make his albums listenable on a good music system. But to me the top spot on sound quality goes to Kalyanji Anandji. Their recordings have the cleanest, best defined sound of that era. No wonder the aesthetically conscious Khan brothers went for KA over the others.

The 80's saw Bappi (and Disco) take over and well his songs are always a delight for an audiophile - though one has to ignore the non-sensical lyrics and poor compositions that dogged this decade. RD's output of this decade is likewise - musically average, but sonically good (many of the albums are already listed in this thread)

What are your impressions on the music director - sound quality combinations over the decades? Which music directors produced the best albums, SQ-wise for their era? Any sonic surprises from the 60's or even the 50's?

I have noticed that among the bigger three music directors of t8he 70's, Laxmikant-Pyarelaal were the least advanced in terms of sound recording quality. Their sound is less defined, more radio-ish. RD Burman's is a mix, but has quite a few with good sound recording (while Sholay clearly underwhelms). But his speciality of innovating with instruments and arranging still make his albums listenable on a good music system. But to me the top spot on sound quality goes to Kalyanji Anandji. Their recordings have the cleanest, best defined sound of that era. No wonder the aesthetically conscious Khan brothers went for KA over the others.

The 80's saw Bappi (and Disco) take over and well his songs are always a delight for an audiophile - though one has to ignore the non-sensical lyrics and poor compositions that dogged this decade. RD's output of this decade is likewise - musically average, but sonically good (many of the albums are already listed in this thread)

What are your impressions on the music director - sound quality combinations over the decades? Which music directors produced the best albums, SQ-wise for their era? Any sonic surprises from the 60's or even the 50's?
I think this deserves a separate thread.

Khayyam & Naushad also had some very good compositions (SQ wise). Yes, as Naturelover said, this should be a separate thread, will be very useful for FMs

Khayyam & Naushad also had some very good compositions (SQ wise). Yes, as Naturelover said, this should be a separate thread, will be very useful for FMs

Oh yes, How can one forget them! Khayyam made some immortal albums (Umrao Jaan, Bazaar, Razia Sultan) in the early 80s. Naushad gave us the ‘magnum opus’ orchestral sound in the 50’a and 60’s. Baiju Bawara, Mughal-e-Azam, Mere Mehboob are albums for ever.

I think this deserves a separate thread.

Can a mod help us move the posts to a new thread? It could be titled, ‘Film directors and Sound quality over the decades’.

lets start from here friends :
http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/23708-must-rare-hindi-lp-records-collected.html
i guess from above listed titles that people here are wanting to know which lps could be heard and enjoyed just for the way it sounds from your system. regardless of the lyrics and vocals. so here i d remind you all about the songs we listen to while watching movies in multiplex. those multimillion rupee systems with great acoustics ensure that we sit through the song even if its a less heard/unpopular number. honestly how many times do we feel like shutting down our ears when such a song plays in hall??
now a real good system will work pretty much same or better. a good song will sound great. a song that u dont like will also be enjoyable. mostly due to fine musical naunces that your system can recreate and which however aren t noticed on lesser systems.
reason is simple- even your least likaeble song in a rdb or arr title was still conceived , enacted and recorded by maestros. the best in business guys. in every song, they put their blood and bones. every song is good at that level. whichever system recreates it will make you enjoy it.
i see that most people here are only referring to 'music' to their ears which is mostly foot stomping songs.
now let me describe a few individual songs that you absolutely must listen to. not mentioning the commoner/superhit ones.

cbs records will generally have sharp clear highs and deeps lows. totally does justice to club music. who says vinyls are only good for midrange?
listen to 'o babua' by ashaji. kickdrums in this song are kicka** drums. a song i didn t like for ages when i had cassette of sadma and 2 in 1 decks.
on lp this song was sooo enjoyable, musical, the details, the beats reproduced faithfully.... it spellbound me. it was a song i outright disliked before this first audition.
next up, listen to yeh hawa, yeh fazaa.. the opening song in the movie. ashaji and suresh wadkar... a song i bet most of you wont recall in mind first thing when someone says 'sadma'.
now tell me whats up on platter next.

ahem... !! all the tracks?? that exactly is bone of contention in this thread . which songs will u listen to even if you dont like the lyrics/singing etc etc.

ever since he made it big, rdb was king of hiphop in his era. paid unprecedented attention to the recording /instrumentation of it all surpassing (ahem..) previous kings- laxmi-pyare. next up after him could be bappi lahri. people like biddu, ilaiya raja... list goes on and on. in fact after 60s, when pure ragas were kind of well utilized in movies, there came this genre of music directors who used instruments to make their songs cool.

forget it man. disco dancer =usha aiyer/uthup. koi yahan aha nache nache= club burning music anywhere.
now a few of the songs you must go down and listen to. even if you dont have the lps... -
ever heard of kenny g? especially his vocal songs where he accompanies todays best and hit artists eg. how could an angel break my heart? now multiply the fun to 10 times.ever listened to flute in real life?? live?? its spellbinding. now imagine listening to indias most coveted flute player. couple the flute with legendary lataji. add some super beatsy tabla and jhankaars of a ghunghroo.: spin a 'basant bahar' and play ' mai piya teri tu mane ya na mane'
forget songs list- this is one of this 'things to do before i die' experience. please dont wait for its lp to enjoy magic. live once before you die.
JJWS- jawan ho yaaron ye tumko hua kya. - the opening chore when you can make out every instrument joining the tune serially,clearly... this is the song that makes a blind man 'see' the stage in his room. that the song was actually shot on a stage helps.
sanam teri kasam- jaane jaan (nisha). the way your system will come alive on this yet another 'stage song'... youll feel like hugging your system in one large embrace. one of the songs to demo your system to audionoobs.
karz- paisa yeh paisa- if you dont know what terms like 'timing' and attack means, listen it here. your heartbeats will halt when kishoreda take a 'theka'.
alibaba aur 40 chor- i am hating myself for listing song that aint easy to find.
spin khatouba once. you ve listned to this one in pieces in a kishore da in the mix 10-12 yrs ago. spin this on vinyl and see what made those remix artist choose this song for their compilation. no price for guessing which one is better. my take- original=100... remix =0.1
inteqaam(1969)- do you know one sunidhi from mumbai??? chouhan??
do you know she was 13 when she won the finale of a reality singing competetion? do you know, hosted by annu kapoor- an accomplished classical singer , and grand prize awarded by latajii herself, this was a no nonsense cut throat singing competetion and no. it was not a li'l champs or a junior competetion. it was a full blown affair that had best amateur singers from india marking their presence with no seperate male-female section. sunidhi beat them all.
now do you remember what song she sang in grande finale when latajii herself was in the audience???
now do you think she chose this song at random??do you think she must ve chose the song herself without consulting her gurus and other bosses ?? do you really wonder what must have enchanted them to select that perticular song?? do you want the answer????
listen to aa jane jaan on lp. note- on LP.
muqaddar ka sikandar- pyar zindagi hai
last for today- caravan. i guess no one has listed this earlier. and i d have shot myself if i haven t mentioned this one in my very first post-
dilbar dil se pyar opens with a bell/thali kinda instrument ringing in sloe rhythm. immediately gives the feel of sitting out there in the open surrounding the belles akin to something of a desert safari night setting. further development of song entrances you there and then.
keep spinning. rafi saab sang a folk type goria kahan tera des re. want some more- piya tu ab to aaja and chadhti jawani meri chaal mastaani .. hell why should they need a description. all i can say is, cabaret by lataji. now if you wondered who sang the best ones in hindi movies.... !!!

A lesson in musical appreciation! But are they also examples of good SQ/vinyl pressings of those eras?

Most of the 60s and 70s Hindi film vinyls sound very good. I own nearly 400 vinyls of old Bollywood films. So very familiar with them. They capture the emotion and the feel of the song very well. The focus is on the vocals. If you are looking for separation and other audiophile qualities it’s not going to be there.

Oh yes, How can one forget them! Khayyam made some immortal albums (Umrao Jaan, Bazaar, Razia Sultan) in the early 80s. Naushad gave us the ‘magnum opus’ orchestral sound in the 50’a and 60’s. Baiju Bawara, Mughal-e-Azam, Mere Mehboob are albums for ever.
You missed Pakeezah :)

Naushad only composed these songs for Pakeezah -
Nazaria Ki Maari", "Title Music - Alap", "Mora Saajan Sauten Ghar Jaye" and "Kaun Gali Gayo Shyam

All the known ones were composed by Ghulam Mohammed. He died before the film release and hence Naushad was called in to give background music and compose a few tracks

Naushad only composed these songs for Pakeezah -
Nazaria Ki Maari", "Title Music - Alap", "Mora Saajan Sauten Ghar Jaye" and "Kaun Gali Gayo Shyam

All the known ones were composed by Ghulam Mohammed. He died before the film release and hence Naushad was called in to give background music and compose a few tracks
OK. Thanks. I thought he had composed the entire album :)

The fundamental difference I find between the 60s and 70s mastering versus the post 80s is the feel of the song is captured much better in the older films. I don’t know if it was because of better quality of music directors or singers or it was mastering related. That’s what makes those old songs legendary. Hear Talat or Hemant Kumar sing and you’ll know what I mean

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back