Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

m_007, could you pl give a link to an online store from where you purchased it? Could not find it at the usual suspects

I actually ordered from a US web store (as I am located in the US).

https://www.dustygroove.com/item/837492
https://www.dustygroove.com/item/837805

They are also available from U.K. And EU stores. Not sure if these LPs were released in India.

Raga Jazz Style is released by "outernational" and Gumnaam by " twitchin' beat" (hopefully helps with google searches".

I liked the pressing of the following, moreover the pressing of music India is very good ..
b1012762e6e9521b1d6f97297ff6f142.jpg

The DIL PADOSI HAI record was received by me a few days back. The GHAR / IJAAZAT LP has touched my hands just today after I came back from office. I am just putting a few lines about my initial feelings about GHAR / IJAAZAT album.

The excitement about the precious album was thrashed once I saw the cover picture or what we say in modern language, the Album Art. Such a precious record with two of the Pancham;s finest compositions ruined by the poorest of cover I have ever seen. The picture is of such a poor resolution, I am astonished how could somebody approve it for final printing!! Moreover, its hard to believe that Sony couldnt source a better pic for their cover. The gaudy colours have made the thing more disastrous. A monochrome pic with sepia tone would have been far far better. I was happy that at least in Dil Padosi Hai they could manage with a better resolution picture, true to original. But, in DPH also they ruined the back cover picture by printing the song titles over the railway track.

The first song I listened to - the eternal one - tere bina jia jaye na - and the partial prelude was missing. I was totally taken aback. How could they dare to truncate the song in a record which has been purchased by die hard fans of Pancham & lovers of bollywood oldies and who loves to enjoy each and every song in their 100% original form. In fact there was no need to put both the films in one record. A single LP each of IJAAZAT and GHAR would have solved this problem. Thereafter, I took out my old copy of GHAR record (not a very clean one) and found its recording was much more airy and open. Even then, this time Sony appears to have done a much better job than prior releases, like KABHIE KABHIE, 1942 etc. Haven;t listened to the LP further yet. Hope the songs of IJAAZAT have not been truncated and are faithful to the original recording. Reports from somebody having both the copies of IJAAZAT is desired. In this regard, I have to say that DPH recording is much much better although I have not heard the original vinyl release. The quality of vinyls are very good. All 180 grams or nearer, which was a rarity during their original releases.

One more strange issue is - The record labels doesnt list the names of the songs / artists etc., the omission of which is not clear as it is a standard practice. Although not a big issue, this deviation from standard feels odd and forces you to repeatedly look into the cover for track positions, while playing tracks of choice.

Finally, while appreciating Sony for improving the mastering over their previous releases, I would like to request them to always keep in mind that these records are purchased by hardcore music aficionados who wont like truncations and deviations from the originals. Further, they should also attach importance to secondary issues like cover pics, mentioning of track names/ singers etc on record labels.

Lastly, however, I thank Sony as for them only we are able to listen to the oldies in vinyl format and expect many more oldies from them in future. I dont know if I am a bit harsh; but this is exclusively my feeling.

Regards,
Partha

Last edited:
The first song - the eternal one - tere bina jia jaye na - and the partial prelude was missing. I was totally taken aback. How could they dare to truncate the song in a record which has been purchased by die hard fans of Pancham & lovers of bollywood oldies and who loves to enjoy each and every song in their 100% original form. In fact there was no need to put both the films in one record. A single LP each of IJAAZAT and GHAR would have solved this problem. Thereafter, I took out my old copy of GHAR record (not a very clean one) and found its recording was much more airy and open.
Partha

I entirely vouch all the points & issues raised by Partha Bhattacharya. That prelude in the "Tere bina jiya jaye na" elevates the song to a different level. I too was shocked to discover this truncation of the prelude. Must be done to adjust all songs. Yes the old vinyl's sound is more open and airy. May be a 45LP is creating good difference in SQ between the old and the new release. Our Sony who deserves kudos for their efforts in trying for the resurgence of vinyl in India must be serious and aware of certain basic aspects of vinyl listeners and enthusiasts - that what they expect from vinyls and why they would opt for such new releases. We are not interested in quantities (2 movies in a single lp) but look forward to quality. Sony and other companies should select the titles for which they can do justice with the sound quality and not go for releases which they found to be "hot numbers" as per their marketing team.

So if needed initially let there be less new releases from old Bollywood movies but whichever album is taken for a new release should be taken as a project and if they can meet the quality standard worth for a new release then only should come up with. Otherwise the initial enthusiasm among us for the new releases will diminish and all will be compelled to look for other avenues for the old original released vinyls, which are rare to be found in mint or excellent condition and usually comes with huge price tags.

BTW, thanks a ton to Sony DADC for releasing Dil Padosi Hai on vinyl. Otherwise I may not have ever laid my hands on a DPH vinyl. Kudos to Sony DADC for the Bhoot Bangla release too, the old/first pressing BB rarely could be seen. Just wondering why Sony didn't took releasing IJAZAAT in the same serious way, a single LP with great art cover...a few lyrics or a note from Gulzar on the new release, all could have been value addition to the new release.

Hello Friends,

I would like to start this thread so as to enable ourselves to identify hindi vinyls which have outstanding pressing & sound quality by sharing our knowledge. This may be helpful to those who are more particular about pressings and sound quality than just collecting vinyls.
I would like to share my bit from my collection:

1. Saagar - 33 RPM LP
2. Masoom - 45 RPM LP
3. Sanam Teri Kasam - 33 RPM LP
4. Shaan - 33 RPM LP
5. Shalimar - 45 RPM EP
6. Disco Deewane Nazia Hassan - 33 RPM LP
7. Mukesh - A tribute by Lata Live in USA Canada - 1976 33 RPM 2LP set
8. Lata Mangeshkar Live in Royal Albert Hall London - 33 RPM 2LP set
9. Kishore Kumar Live in USA 33 RPM LP
10 Awara - 45 RPm EP
11. Kati Patang - 45 RPM EP
12 Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak 33 RPM LP
13. Maine Pyar Kiya 33 RPM (quality moderate to high but much better than Audio cassette or acd)

Some more esp. from Music India stable would qualify but couldnt recall at the moment. Will check back my collection & report.

Your contributions to this thread are highly valued. Please share your experiences

Thanks & regards,
Saket
Hello Every One,
I guess most original vinyl pressing be it Mono or Stereo having excellent sound reproduction, since I have huge collection of RD my list will include most of his numbers, few numbers from my collection :

Jal Bin Machli
Meera
Sholay
Haadsaa
AmarPrem
Samunder
Rahi Badal Gaye
Shaan
Jawani
Sanam Teri Kasam
Teri Kasam
The Unforgettable ( Jagjit Singh )
Ecstasies ( Jagjit Singh )
The Legend ( Jagjit Singh )
Milestone ( Jagjit Singh )
Kati Patang
Namak Halaal
Sharabi
Naseeb
Silsila
Satte pe Satta
Des Pardesh
Rocky
Sagar
Shakti
Rampur Ka laxamn
Disco Dancer
Jawani Deewani
Romance
Agar Tum Na Hote
Mahaan
Yeh Wada Rha
Manzil Manzil
Surpadmavali Pt Jasraj
Tu Raskan De Pt Bhimsen Joshi

I am looking for few RD's rarest LPs to add in my selection, following are numbers I am looking for :

Aamne samne, Takkar; GolMaal; Harjaee; Double Cross; Chor pe mor; Do Chor; Phir wahi raat; Naram garam; Dhuaan; Nikamaa / Jane Jaan; Bade dil walaKaalia; Gambler; Shareef badmash; Kaun Kaise; Duniya; Rang Birangi.

Waiting for promopt response my email [email protected]
I want few non RD Lps as well :

Goonj 1986, Phir Teri Khanai Yaad Aayi,
Mashaal, Love in Goa, Chasm-e-budoor, ShahenSha

Thanks,
KSR

records that can amaze you, not necessarily with quality of songs but definitely with quality of recording/pressing

RDB
THE BURNING TRAIN, HUM KISISE KUM NAHEEN, IJAZAAT, MASOOM, KAUN KAISEY, SHALIMAR, SHAAN, SWAMI DADA, SITAMGAR, TERI KASAM, SANAM TERI KASAM, KARISHMAA, INAAM DUS HAZAR, DACAIT.......

EP- RED ROSE

Bappi Lahiri
DISCO DANCER, KASAM PAIDA KERNEWALE KI, TAXI CHOR, PATITA, EK BAR KAHO, SHIKSHA, FARAIB.......

Kalyanji Anandji
YUDH, VIDHATA, KALAKAR, QURBANI, LAWARIS, DON.....

Laxmikant Pyarelal
KARZ, RAJPUT, KARMA....

Rajesh Roshan
DES PARDES, LOOTMAR, MAN PASAND, JOHNY I LOVE YOU, HAMARI BAHU ALKA, EK DAKU SHAHAR MEIN, APP KE DEEWANE..........

Hemant Bhosle
BARRISTER, SANSANI, SHRADHANJALI, BANDHAN KACHHE DHAGON KA

Babla
KAISE BANI, KUCH GADBAD HAI, MEETHA ZEHAR, KHARA KHOTA, AB NA JAIBE

Jatin Lalit
JO JEETA WOHI SIKANDAR, RAJU BAN GAYA GENTLEMAN, YAARA DILDARA.....

misc
VISHWATMA, SADMA, CAR THIEF.....

there are lot lot more, BTW THE BURNING TRAIN shouldn't cost one more than 1.5K, those who are planning to buy without any delay buy as much as possible, soon hindi OST LPs are going to be antique!!!! thanks to our USD hungry sellers who are mindlessly exporting our own stuff, and we are left disgruntled

I am looking for few RD's rarest LPs to add in my selection, following are numbers I am looking for :

Aamne samne, Takkar; GolMaal; Harjaee; Double Cross; Chor pe mor; Do Chor; Phir wahi raat; Naram garam; Dhuaan; Nikamaa / Jane Jaan; Bade dil walaKaalia; Gambler; Shareef badmash; Kaun Kaise; Duniya; Rang Birangi.

Waiting for promopt response my email [email protected]
I want few non RD Lps as well :

Goonj 1986, Phir Teri Khanai Yaad Aayi,
Mashaal, Love in Goa, Chasm-e-budoor, ShahenSha

Thanks,
KSR

According to me there is too much of hype on the Burning Train mastering. It’s good but nothing out of the world. 3k is fair market price. If you like the songs then it’s maybe worth it. But I will not put down 3k for its mastering

Prem,
Your judgement and knowledge regarding Hindi lps are amazing.
According to you what Hindi titles one should keep for it's mastering/ recording quality?
Which titles would you recommend?
Thanks n regards

Shafic, I buy lps because I like the songs. If mastering is good I consider it a bonus:)

I personally feel Sadma mastering is superior to Burning Train.

Most Khaiyyam stuff of late 70s and 80s sound nice. So do some of RD stuff. Like Shaan, Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai. I also like Namak Halal mastering.

But if you have to buy a Bollywood lp because of its mastering for something like 3k, I would rather buy a DSOTM or Wall

Hi Shafic, here are some of my favourites

Aandhi
Ghar
Madhumati
Chori Chori
Teesri Manzil
Amar Prem
Ghar
Dil Se
Barfi
1942 Love Story
Dil To Pagal Hai
Kati Patang
Nikaah
Gumraah
Kabhi Kabhi
Silsila
Aashiqui
Abhimaan
Guide
Jewel Thief
Mere Sanam
Kashmir Ki Kali
Rajkumar
Hum Dono
Arzoo

I could go on but think I will stop here:)

Hi Shafic, here are some of my favourites

Aandhi
Ghar
Madhumati
Chori Chori
Teesri Manzil
Amar Prem
Ghar
Dil Se
Barfi
1942 Love Story
Dil To Pagal Hai
Kati Patang
Nikaah
Gumraah
Kabhi Kabhi
Silsila
Aashiqui
Abhimaan
Guide
Jewel Thief
Mere Sanam
Kashmir Ki Kali
Rajkumar
Hum Dono
Arzoo

I could go on but think I will stop here:)
Hi Prem, I know that the list can be endless, but I hope you would like the following too:
Nau do gyarah
Ek musafir ek hasina
Mere sanam
Navrang
Mahfil-e-mujra
Mausam
Bambai ka babu
Waqt
Amar....and so on

Navinsinha,
I like Mausam and Waqt in your list. I also like Ek Musafir Ek Hassena and Bambai Ka Babu. But unfortunately I find the lps of these 2 titles to be of poor mastering. I only own eps of these two titles. Actually Ek Musafir Ek Haseena has 2 eps which pretty much covers all the songs. Mere Sanam is already on my list :)Nau Do Gyarah, I don’t like the lp mastering. I again have the EP.

I am not a huge fan of Navrang. However I have Hits of Shantaram which covers the few big hits of Navrang. Ditto with Amar. I actually only like Insaf ka Mandir. This song I have on Great Hits from Great Studio lp. I know the Lata songs from Amar are big but somehow I have not been able to relate to them

Last edited:
Navinsinha,
I like Mausam and Waqt in your list. I also like Ek Musafir Ek Hassena and Bombai Ka Babu. But unfortunately I find the lps of these 2 titles to be of poor mastering. I only own eps of these two titles. Actually Ek Musafir Ek Haseena has 2 eps which pretty much covers all the songs

I am not a huge fan of Navrang. However I have Hits of Shantaram which covers the few big hits of Navrang.
You are right Prem, even I like the EPs of Ek musafir ek hasina more than the LP. Bambai ka baboo, I have EP only and love it! At my age, Navrang has to be my favourite! :)

Navinsinha, I can understand:) In fact i get a lot of requests for the Angel pressing of Navrang. Friends ask me to try and track down an Angel copy for them. I must have got 4-5 copies till now for my friends. But these days I don’t see any Angel copy going around for sale

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back