Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

... Kabhie -2 is a sheer crap. Dullest recording in vinyl I have ever heard. Songs appear to be completely stripped off the dynamics and body. ...

My copy of KK which I had bought in 1980.
kabhi2_zpsllmbawue.jpg

kabhi22_zpscbjzcqqo.jpg

The SQ is exactly as described by Partha Ji. Thin and devoid of any dynamics. Which really is a pity because the words and music of this album is timeless.

I have noted that many Yash Chopra directed/produced films had not so great pressings. Albums such as Daag, Sawaal, Chandni, Faasle, Lamhe, Trishul, Dewaar etc., range from mediocre to average. Even the 2016 Box set of Veer Zara is at best average. However, titles such as Kala Patthar, Joshilaa, Silsila etc are better. And going back titles like Aadmi Aur Insaan, Waqt etc are very balanced pressings.

Of course this is purely my personal observation based on copies that I have and played back on a modest system.

My copy of KK which I had bought in 1980.
kabhi2_zpsllmbawue.jpg

kabhi22_zpscbjzcqqo.jpg

The SQ is exactly as described by Partha Ji. Thin and devoid of any dynamics. Which really is a pity because the words and music of this album is timeless.

I have noted that many Yash Chopra directed/produced films had not so great pressings. Albums such as Daag, Sawaal, Chandni, Faasle, Lamhe, Trishul, Dewaar etc., range from mediocre to average. Even the 2016 Box set of Veer Zara is at best average. However, titles such as Kala Patthar, Joshilaa, Silsila etc are better. And going back titles like Aadmi Aur Insaan, Waqt etc are very balanced pressings.

Of course this is purely my personal observation based on copies that I have and played back on a modest system.

Good info. In this scenario the problem basically lies with the original recording. In that case Saregama should have chosen some other albums with good master for repressing. Anyway let's enjoy what we have got.
Regards and happy new year 2017 to all FMs in advance.
Regards and best wishes for the upcoming year.
Partha.

I had listened new releases of Teesri Manzil and Kati Patang LPs. Both are waste of money. A digital sound pressed on vinyls.

I have Teesri Manzil Angel and Odeon pressings and Kati Patang Odeon double groove and single groove pressings. They are way better. Will cherish forever with the old pressings.

Thnx
Sourav

I have first pressing of Kabhi Kabhie (Three Fold Cover + Color Label) and sounds great. Very detailed and heavy.

'Main Pal Do Pal Ka Shayar' is treat, in song 'Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein', Lata Voice/Vocal is very good.

I had listened new releases of Teesri Manzil and Kati Patang LPs. Both are waste of money. A digital sound pressed on vinyls.

I have Teesri Manzil Angel and Odeon pressings and Kati Patang Odeon double groove and single groove pressings. They are way better. Will cherish forever with the old pressings.

Thnx
Sourav

Thanks canceled the order Kashmir Ki Kali and Awara.

Even my copy of kabhi kabhi sounds good let me check if it's gate folded one.
Did anyone got raanjanha or hamari adhuri Kahani?

I have Teesri Manzil Angel and Odeon pressings and Kati Patang Odeon double groove and single groove pressings.

Thnx
Sourav

Sourav I am totally ignorant about this single / double grooved stuffs. I googled and got this :
"it's a gimmick whereby you can cut two grooves on the same side, and which one you get depends on where the needle begins to track".
The detailed discussion is here & here
You being a first hand user of these vinyls, please throw some light on this and your experience.
Regards,
Partha

Last edited:
I have first pressing of Kabhi Kabhie (Three Fold Cover + Color Label) and sounds great. Very detailed and heavy.

'Main Pal Do Pal Ka Shayar' is treat, in song 'Kabhi Kabhie Mere Dil Mein', Lata Voice/Vocal is very good.
Agree, I too have one.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Parthabhata, the double groove Souravin is referring to is the one on the label. You will find odeon pressings with both single and double groove on the label. The ones with double groove are first presses. Not all Odeon are double grooved. Many titles introduced after 1974 are single grooved. For example Heera Panna. So this single and double groove is not on the playing part of the vinyl. Just on the label

Parthabhata, the double groove Souravin is referring to is the one on the label. You will find odeon pressings with both single and double groove on the label. The ones with double groove are first presses. Not all Odeon are double grooved. Many titles introduced after 1974 are single grooved. For example Heera Panna. So this single and double groove is not on the playing part of the vinyl. Just on the label
@prem,
Thanks for the great piece of info. I was ignorant about this too. Let me search out some photos of odeon double and single grooves.
Thanks
Partha

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

I have to click the picture to show about the double groove (another famous name is RING) Double Ring is first pressing. Here is difference images for reference.

img109.jpg

heyjude1_2emi_side1_large.jpg
Thanks. Prepress.

So my uploaded image is of a first press vinyl then. Seems I am lucky too. Got this unknowingly from Wellington, kolkata cheap.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 14832930203941613315163.jpg
    14832930203941613315163.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 207
Last edited:
Yes, this HRHK is first pressing and you are lucky. These first pressing are heavier than later pressings. I have listened some Angel pressings which were later released on Odeon. Angel sounded heavy/detailed here, Odeon one sounded thin and like cassette rips.

Please share your experience of new pressings. I am also planed to buy DTPH, DDLJ & 1942 a love story.

i bought 1942... . The quality is not good. the sound is very thin; it is not fulsome as i enjoy with my other records in my collection.
i had been forewarned but wanted to hear it for myself.

once you hear a bad record you tend to appreciate the "good" in your collection a lot more.

regards

Actually we all got tempted for 1942 ALS, DDLJ and other Saregama titles. May be the reasons are its shortage in market and curiosity to own/listen these on Vinyl.

And unfortunately these are not as expected. One thing I am not sure about it is.... Do you think the problem with this new pressings?
Actually I had heard nothing much when it was released earlier (may be that time very less owned its old pressing,
because black marketeers got the hold on entire old stock to sell at higher price [5K-10K]).

Actually we all got tempted for 1942 ALS, DDLJ and other Saregama titles. May be the reasons are its shortage in market and curiosity to own/listen these on Vinyl.

And unfortunately these are not as expected. One thing I am not sure about it is.... Do you think the problem with this new pressings?
Actually I had heard nothing much when it was released earlier (may be that time very less owned its old pressing,
because black marketeers got the hold on entire old stock to sell at higher price [5K-10K]).
Seems same case with rockstar LP as well

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Today played the Hits of Arijit Singh LP. Very well recorded and wonderful collection of songs. Absolutely loved it.Any feedback on Umrao Jaan LP ?
Thanks.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back