Good Quality Hindi Vinyl Pressings

Navinsinha, I can understand:) In fact i get a lot of requests for the Angel pressing of Navrang. Friends ask me to try and track down an Angel copy for them. I must have got 4-5 copies till now for my friends. But these days I don’t see any Angel copy going around for sale
Prem, I think, I have a few Angel/Odeon copies of Navrang. Let me see if I can spare a few!
I also have quite a few K L Saigal on Angel first copies, superb pressing.

Hi I would like to get my hands on ROJA , BOMBAY , JULIE & AANDHI preferably in mint condition . Any chances of finding them anywhere?

Cheers!
Anand

eastofthesun, Bombay has not been released on vinyl. Roja you can order on Amazon.

Aandhi and Julie, you could check if any members have a near mint copy for sale. There’s a new Aandhi press available on Amazon but that’s not good. You need to hunt down the original press.

Prem, I think, I have a few Angel/Odeon copies of Navrang. Let me see if I can spare a few!
I also have quite a few K L Saigal on Angel first copies, superb pressing.
Hi Navin,Do you have angel pressings of Aarzoo,Kanyadaan,Haseena Maan Jayegi

Oh man just brought 1942, DDLJ & Dil to pagal hai yet to listen. fingers crossed
Technology moving further...and yet we need to keep fingers crossed while we gamble on quality of newly pressed vinyls.. That's a shame to SONY and UNIVERSAL audio ...They need to rethink on bringing in vinyls of older movies..They are not capable of doing this..Another worst example is Bhoot Bangla..the new pressing...Probably a pre-recorded HMV audio cassette would sound better than new vinyl... Tragic killers of Vintage..

I find Dil Padosi Hai new release to be better than the first pressing. So as Abhimaan, it is not ERS in the new release. Rest is average or below average..

Sourav

I find Dil Padosi Hai new release to be better than the first pressing. So as Abhimaan, it is not ERS in the new release. Rest is average or below average..

Sourav
Sourav
Dil Padosi Hai....Only first song sounds better..all other songs are diminishing quality..First version of DPH is awesome.

One LP whose SQ I had found to be incredibly good, given the limitations of my home hifi system of the 80s, was Jagjit and Chitra Singh, "Live at Wembley Stadium". I believe this was mixed and mastered and produced in the UK.

Another was the OST of "Pakeezah".

A third was Ananda Shankar's first album, the one which had "Raghupati Raghav" as one of the tracks. It has a drawing of a sitar on its cover. (Don't know whether this one qualifies as Hindi?)

Don't know what I'll feel if I get to hear the same albums again today on a high quality modern rig.

I have a feeling that all PEASD/PEALP series from HMV sound great.
Second ranking will be MOCE series.
HFLP are reprints that sound dull. But like an exception HFLP of 'Raampur Ka Laxman' sounds better than its first print.
Usually all polydor /MIL will sound awesome.
Probably this was something to do with the money they spent in the recording or reprining the vinyls.

I have a feeling that all PEASD/PEALP series from HMV sound great.
Second ranking will be MOCE series.
HFLP are reprints that sound dull. But like an exception HFLP of 'Raampur Ka Laxman' sounds better than its first print.
Usually all polydor /MIL will sound awesome.
Probably this was something to do with the money they spent in the recording or reprining the vinyls.
Did you missed CBS?

Technology moving further...and yet we need to keep fingers crossed while we gamble on quality of newly pressed vinyls.. That's a shame to SONY and UNIVERSAL audio ...They need to rethink on bringing in vinyls of older movies..They are not capable of doing this..Another worst example is Bhoot Bangla..the new pressing...Probably a pre-recorded HMV audio cassette would sound better than new vinyl... Tragic killers of Vintage..

The problem here is not the pressing, but the master, which is supplied by Saregama. The new Sony pressings from good Sony masters are quite reasonable. Saregama destroyed the original masters very early. Sometime before the 1980's. In the 1980's they realized that there was still a market for old Hindi movie releases, so they started buying used LP records from record collectors and released cassettes and LPs based on them. The source was acknowledge for many such releases. I remember one name, 'Vinod Sonthalia". Unfortunately they did not do a good job while creating these needle drop versions.
While the above was acknowledged, there are other horror stories about how they coped the audio back from VHS video tapes in the market and released those songs on cassette, and later on CDs. These recordings can be identified by their slightly higher pitch than the original LPs.

In summary, there is no hope for us unless Sony moves into creating their own masters (high-res needle drop versions) from the original mint Angel pressings. I think right now they are using the same digital WAV that is available on Saregama website. It is not just a poor rip, but is also highly processed. Unfortunately that is the best bet as of today. We need an audio restoration company of the caliber as of 'Criterion Collection' in the video world.

Thanks,
Sharad Medhavi

Has anyone tried the newly released LPs by Universal? I have bought some of them. I listened to Abdullah. It sounded just as good as the orignal vinyl which I also have.

According to me there is too much of hype on the Burning Train mastering. It’s good but nothing out of the world. 3k is fair market price. If you like the songs then it’s maybe worth it. But I will not put down 3k for its mastering

Hype on The Burning Train mastering!!
Its not only good,its brilliant at least to me. One of the best stereo separations along with Abdullah and few others that comes to my mind.And what clarity!

Hype on The Burning Train mastering!!
Its not only good,its brilliant at least to me. One of the best stereo separations along with Abdullah and few others that comes to my mind.And what clarity!

I second that. The Burning Train LP sounds terrific. Even the The Burning Train EP (7" & 45 rpm) comprising of the title music sounds mind blowing.

Thanks,
Sourav

Hi to the all the members!
Let me share how I got addicted with Vinyl, because till now I also can't believe myself the way I got addicted.

I already had the addiction of old Bengali & Hindi music since my childhood which I listened in cassettes earlier and in CDs' later, thanks to my parents and relatives because of them only my addiction happened and I think it's same story for all of us of my age. But in the year 2015, one Sunday morning in the end of December I wakeup early but body was not allowing me to leave the bed what I usually do in week days. Suddenly in front of my eyes the picture of dancing tonearm and the clicks n pops sound of vinyl which engraved in my subconscious mind in my childhood when I played my grand father's Gramophone & my uncle's HMV make Safari hours after hours. Believe me it never thoughts about vinyl when I got younger. In that Sunday I started searching in internet about Turntables, before now I have no idea what actually happening in the world about the Vinyl & Turntables. I got information that there is shop called Vibrations in Free School St. Kolkata who sells old Philips make turntables and the price he asked for 4k for a stereo player built in amp (ceramic cart.). On same day afternoon I got my first Record Player (without any bargain) with 6 PL's, 4 Hindi for my choice & 2 Bengali for Dad's favorite.
Then I started to get information about Turntable (what going on in the world), I thought I was the only person who is searching for the same but I am surprised when I came to know that the Vinyl & Turntable are coming back with bang due to his audio quality! Then after long R&D I choose Audio Technica AT PL-120 which fits my pocket as well as good reviews every where. In amazon on mid 2016 it was 45k but thanks to one of my ex-colleague who was in Singapore bought for me at INR 26500/-, I can still remember the day was 7th of June 2016 I got my AT. Gradually I bought Schitt Mani Pre-amp and I already had my old Sony GR880 Mini Hi-Fi. I did other modifications as advised by various people in Youtube. Now, I am quite happy with my addiction, although it is making holes in my pocket. Till today my LP collections is 150+ & EP 75+. I am also fan of The Great Panchamda but air-condition of Gurudeb Kishore Kumar. Needless to say here that who much I need to spend to get their records. Most of my favorite numbers of Panchamda & Gurudev with me and whatever left will collect gradually.

Thanks you all for reading (sorry it's too long) and I am eager to know if anybody have the same story like me.
Will exchange our experience regarding vinyl & turntable from time to time.

Hi to the all the members!
Let me share how I got addicted with Vinyl, because till now I also can't believe myself the way I got addicted.

I already had the addiction of old Bengali & Hindi music since my childhood which I listened in cassettes earlier and in CDs' later, thanks to my parents and relatives because of them only my addiction happened and I think it's same story for all of us of my age. But in the year 2015, one Sunday morning in the end of December I wakeup early but body was not allowing me to leave the bed what I usually do in week days. Suddenly in front of my eyes the picture of dancing tonearm and the clicks n pops sound of vinyl which engraved in my subconscious mind in my childhood when I played my grand father's Gramophone & my uncle's HMV make Safari hours after hours. Believe me it never thoughts about vinyl when I got younger. In that Sunday I started searching in internet about Turntables, before now I have no idea what actually happening in the world about the Vinyl & Turntables. I got information that there is shop called Vibrations in Free School St. Kolkata who sells old Philips make turntables and the price he asked for 4k for a stereo player built in amp (ceramic cart.). On same day afternoon I got my first Record Player (without any bargain) with 6 PL's, 4 Hindi for my choice & 2 Bengali for Dad's favorite.
Then I started to get information about Turntable (what going on in the world), I thought I was the only person who is searching for the same but I am surprised when I came to know that the Vinyl & Turntable are coming back with bang due to his audio quality! Then after long R&D I choose Audio Technica AT PL-120 which fits my pocket as well as good reviews every where. In amazon on mid 2016 it was 45k but thanks to one of my ex-colleague who was in Singapore bought for me at INR 26500/-, I can still remember the day was 7th of June 2016 I got my AT. Gradually I bought Schitt Mani Pre-amp and I already had my old Sony GR880 Mini Hi-Fi. I did other modifications as advised by various people in Youtube. Now, I am quite happy with my addiction, although it is making holes in my pocket. Till today my LP collections is 150+ & EP 75+. I am also fan of The Great Panchamda but air-condition of Gurudeb Kishore Kumar. Needless to say here that who much I need to spend to get their records. Most of my favorite numbers of Panchamda & Gurudev with me and whatever left will collect gradually.

Thanks you all for reading (sorry it's too long) and I am eager to know if anybody have the same story like me.
Will exchange our experience regarding vinyl & turntable from time to time.

Great story @babin. I wish you started a new thread on sharing the vinyl journey, so that we could add to it. This thread is mostly for listing good pressings.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back