My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8's

I'm only a fan of the pre-klipsch e7 e8 d8 and post klipsch c6, c8 & ref series. All their other stuff is pretty bad :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah: HAHAHHAAH

The Jamo R909 is pretty much as perfect as any speaker will get. I heard that and the C809 for a few hours and could not find anything to fault them with.

PS - I agree the lower end HT setups are pretty bad though.

Shame you're in Hyderabad, otherwise you could have visited once I bring them home to New Delhi on aug 25th (hopefully they reach safely)

My sister stays in Gurgaon and the next time I visit her I'll drop in to have a listen.

The Jamo R909 is pretty much as perfect as any speaker will get. I heard that and the C809 for a few hours and could not find anything to fault them with.

The 809 is pretty much an e875 perfected.

I heard it's bookshelf the 803 1 month ago and I was quite impressed.
I greatly preferred it over the b&w 6xx and 8xx sound signature.

If I had to compare the original preklipsch d830 and postklipsch c803 it would be this

d830-0.jpg

d830: Flat, fast, accurate, BRILLIANT texture reproduction & detail separation, excellent low volume performance but lacks bass

Jamo-C803.jpg

c803: Slightly warm, punchy, not as transparent or airy as the d830, power hungry, thick sound.

Last edited:
Start taking ideas as to how to get them home intact now! That should be the major worry for you. As you said, it ain't light. Would you be permitted to hand carry?

You would need to put in a lotta soft ... followed with hard packing material for them to absorb any shoves and pushes inside the baggage. Git on with the planning boy!

They're too big for cabin luggage haha but yeah lots of clothes + some hard packing to keep them away from edges. I will use some of the packing from the original box aswell.

So after almost a week of listening on the 20 year old sony ES amp, it is time to pack up to head back to India with these monitors. I hope it reaches back all in one piece.

As I start packing them, I am reminded of a review of the new reference 909 series I read a year ago on 6moons. I dug it up and here it is, true to every last word, and also makes me realize why and how the same drivers used by different companies can sound completely different and why I like the Jamo reference sound signature as a personal preference over b&w or Kef or polk or klipsch and every other speaker I've heard so far (I'm curious what the usher be-718, paradigm studio 20 and sonus concerto sound like in comparison.)

I once had the opportunity, lasting for several years in fact, to use the famous two-way Jamo Concert 8 as a reference, to which I promptly compared all other speakers on the market apart from the most expensive ones. Despite its somewhat controversial upper midrange/treble performance, Jamo's Concert 8 clearly merited its reference status. There's one feature I'll probably never forget, namely how the lower midrange from roughly 200 - 500Hz was executed: it was pure, lean, flat and skinny like nothing else. In some sense, the Concert 8 made all other speakers -- and I do mean all -- sound excessive or fat in that region. It really was that well articulated and polished. I personally liked the feature not least because it supported the music I mostly listened to, i.e. music that doesn't yearn for extra assistance from the speaker's lower midrange register (cello, piano, female voice). Nevertheless, this characteristic proved so overwhelming in the end that although I always considered the Concert 8 one of the good guys, I started to doubt that all other speakers could get it wrong and only this little Jamo right.

Be that as it may have been, I was glad to notice that Jamo had held tight to this character in their new R909 although perhaps not to the same extreme extent as with the Concert 8. This quality makes the sound grey in color and dry in texture. This is easily verified with piano music. If piano is the only instrument you care about and you expect the speaker to reproduce your piano recordings with shine and elevated elegance, the R909 isn't the answer.

This guy explains really well why the Jamo sound signature is something different from the others and why those who like it, cling to it and find every other speaker wrong.

However I can't help but feel the bass is too lean sometimes. Wonder if there's any trick I can do to the crossover.

Last edited:
corElement - are you liking these speakers or missing bass to an extent that you don't like them anymore? Will you end up craving for more bass? Why not audition more speakers while you are there, sell these off on ebay and get one which is more to your liking?

@ cor ... stop whining and add a smallish sub to take care of the whatever bass you are missing on these gems. The CA should be having a sub outlet, I guess.

corElement - are you liking these speakers or missing bass to an extent that you don't like them anymore? Will you end up craving for more bass? Why not audition more speakers while you are there, sell these off on ebay and get one which is more to your liking?

Are you liking these speakers?
- Loving them more every second!

Are you missing bass to an extent that you don't like them anymore?
- For a bookshelf they put out a LOT of bass but ONLY when the song has the bass content. This is a sign of a true neutral speaker in the footsteps of famous monitors like the yamaha ns 1000 which have known to be ruthlessly lean on bass. I would rather have this than bassy sound signatures like b&w 8xx series & paradigm. ( I found them to be bassy)

Will you end up craving for more bass?
-I'm not a bass-head but whenever I feel the need for more bass back home, I just adjust the bass on my ca 840a amp. This feature is missing on the sony ES amp I've been testing on over here in the US which is why I was missing bass a little. However once I get back home, if I crave for more bass, the bass adjustment on the ca 840a & equalizer on the stx and will completely meet the requirement.

Why not audition more speakers while you are there, sell these off on ebay and get one which is more to your liking?
- Haha I was actually planning on auditioning speakers here but I've been travelling and working every moment and my trip ends in 3 days. As for the question of liking them..I utterly love these babies! No scene of selling them :D

@ cor ... stop whining and add a smallish sub to take care of the whatever bass you are missing on these gems. The CA should be having a sub outlet, I guess.

Arey voicing out thoughts =/= whining. Talking about the crossover stuff because I've always wanted to learn about them. As for sub, if I ever come across a good sub for cheap, yes definitely. But not right now as I'm moving next year.

The bass adjustment on my ca 840a will take care of any additional bass I crave once I'm back home ;)

BTW Avid You will find these speakers very forward compared to your atl's. The krell on these will make it sound like a roaring lion with razer sharp fangs :p :p haha

Last edited:
you need to have an amp capable of supplying upto 3 ohms loads. else the sound will sound thin and forward.
also try using Wooden stands instead of metal ones. that will also make the sound improve in "Density".
you could try to play around with speaker positioning and also playing around with your ear level in relation with the tweeters to get the best tonal balance

Off to the airport in 1 hour! :O

you need to have an amp capable of supplying upto 3 ohms loads. else the sound will sound thin and forward.
also try using Wooden stands instead of metal ones. that will also make the sound improve in "Density".
you could try to play around with speaker positioning and also playing around with your ear level in relation with the tweeters to get the best tonal balance

Yes, those are the improvements which will happen once I get home and hook them up to my 840a amplifier with proper cables and correct height stands on sunday.

The sound is not thin and forward though, accurate is how I'd best describe it. As for the lean bass...I've been listening to floorstanders with 2 dedicated bass drivers for almost 3 years now, so it's just a matter of myself getting used to more accurate sound rather than bass heavy sound.

Last edited:
Off to the airport in 1 hour! :O

The sound is not really thin, I'm used to floorstanders so it will take a while for me to get used to it.
Can't really expect a non TL bookshelf with two drivers to push the same bass as 4 drivers in a floorstander.

However the overall sound quality is far FAR superior to my e875's floorstanders.

=================================================

whats this got to do being TL or not ? TL's dont necessarily push more bass.

+1 to what avidyarthy said.. chillout.. Quality Bookshelves provide better sound as their crossovers are simpler and IMO are better for stereo. If you need more bass.. add a small 8 inch sub and you will be over the moon. ( Unless you are going for critical listening where you tend to look for flaws rather that appreciate what you have )

rgds,
mpw

Last edited by a moderator:
=================================================
+1 to what avidyarthy said.. chillout.. Quality Bookshelves provide better sound as their crossovers are simpler and IMO are better for stereo. If you need more bass.. add a small 8 inch sub and you will be over the moon. ( Unless you are going for critical listening where you tend to look for flaws rather that appreciate what you have )

rgds,
mpw

Um....I don't understand why you guys are thinking I'm freaking out that I need to chillout... I've already stated that I love the sound! :p What's giving you guys the impression that I dont? :p

This IS the sound signature that I like.

The very reason I got theese babies is because I wanted nearfield less bassy speakers than my floorstanders for better stereo performance! :D

Last edited:
Where am I cribbing?

The only place where I mentioned it in a non objective way was

However I can't help but feel the bass is too lean sometimes. Wonder if there's any trick I can do to the crossover.

How is that anyway whining about it?
I've already stated it's being tested on old equipment with generic gear.

I haven't formed any real opinion about them yet. Waiting till I get home and plug it onto my actual setup.

Last edited:
people will interpret whatever they want to interpret....

don't worry about it Cor... however, their intentions are in the right place...

Quality Bookshelves provide better sound as their crossovers are simpler and IMO are better for stereo.

I have a quesdtion here. Why are simple crossovers (by simple I am assuming 1st and 2nd order is implied) crosssovers always equated to better sound quality than higher order?

As I understand, the primary advantage of a simple crossover is fewer components which translates into a simpler network with lower losses, ie lower power is required to drive the speakers.
But the very gentle crossover slope means that the speaker is more sensitive to driver misalignment and modulation distortion and also dependent on the natural roll off of the drivers. Unless the driver is designed well enough for a precise and controlled roll off, that may lead to break up distortion at higher frequencies at higher volumes.

On the other hand a higher order filter is more complex and expensive to make with proper components and has higher losses, but because of the steep slope can provide the best isolation between drivers resulting in the least modulation distortion. They are also less sensitive to driver misalignment.

Yes a simpler crossover with good components is better than higher order crossovers with poor components, but with proper high quality components it is not necessary that lower order crossovers are better, most of the times they are not unless the drivers are high quality expensive ones.. and is very much dependent on the implementation. Many high quality speakers are known to implement 4th order or even have provisions to go upto 6th order, and are hailed for their sound quality.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back