My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8's

Time again to get them d830s to my place for a side-by-side?!
So, plan to pack them up in your two suit-cases and 'harry' on to H-1469 ... will you? :)

You are a true Jamo fan :) - your third pair IIRC. What next? Jamo Concert 11?

Enjoy!!

Lol thanks :p Actually they're my 5th Jamo product, I had the s718, e7, avr 6, e875 and now d830. Made my way up whenever I felt my ears had evolved beyond that model.

The e875 towers hold their own against these d830's. If it were not for money I would consider keeping the e875's but reality is I cant afford to. As for future upgrades and concert 11... I think I'm going to stick to high quality near-field bookshelf speakers from now on. I'm done with floorstanders for practical reasons.

Right now without doing any research the only two bookshelves that have caught my eye are the Usher be-718 (1.5 lakhs new 70k used )and Kef Reference 201/2 (3.3 lakhs 1.8 lakhs used) However it will be a while before I get to upgrade to those because they're new and second hand value is still beyond my limit. I maintain a strict vow that I will not spend more than 1-1.2 Lakhs (speakers, amplifier, accessories all included) to prevent guilt tripping myself for spending anything more on music when people don't get food to eat in other parts of the world. Grateful enough that I was so lucky to find this 1.5 lakh price bracket bookshelf speaker for 1/3rd it's value, that too at mint condition :)

Time again to get them d830s to my place for a side-by-side?!
So, plan to pack them up in your two suit-cases and 'harry' on to H-1469 ... will you? :)

No need for suitcase :) are you free tomorrow?

Last edited:
side by side wont be a fair comparo at all.. the TL will sound fuller and maybe corelement will come out briused :)) and looking for a new set of speakers when he should be spending a month with them and understanding what they bring to the table.

Its better to appreciate each speaker on its strengths and compare apple to apple.

It will be a mistake to do a comparision like this.. in my view..

its like 2 boys saying.. which car is faster?? mine or yours??

just my 2 cents..

mpw

No need for suitcase :) are you free tomorrow?

Friday is a WORKING day ... 'ow 'bout Saturday? I recollect you stating once about Friday being your 'off' .... is it? If so, and if only Friday is available to you, I may plan to come back a bit early .... say, 4.30 PM. Lemme know. Else, Saturday or Sunday.

side by side wont be a fair comparo at all.. the TL will sound fuller and maybe corelement will come out briused :)) and looking for a new set of speakers when he should be spending a month with them and understanding what they bring to the table.

Its better to appreciate each speaker on its strengths and compare apple to apple.

just my 2 cents..

mpw

Nope, thats not the thing at all.

I know about this 'fuller' thing, but, the comparison here would be more on clarity and pristine(ness). I have'nt made any bones on the Topping-JBL beating the Krell-TL on certain music genres. Its quite possible the d830s to stand out on certain parameters. So, till the time S-B-S is done, one won't come to know ......

yes its possible.. the Jamos may stand out on certain parameters - but the conclusion is mostly inescapable - the BS owner will always feel the Floor standers are fuller ( may not be as detailed ). I am not referring to your TL speakers but generally.

Plus cor.. has always posted about "less" bass from his speakers..

anyways its yours and his call.. i leave it at that..

1..2..3.. race..

BTW - it will be ok of the TL Bookshelves is in the picture too but we will have to wait for that i guess..

:))

mpw

just my 2 cents..

mpw

You are correct on all regards, however you're forgetting something, I've already heard the ATL's before and compared them to my e875 towers! :p And compared to my e875 floorstanders, the d830 bookshelves have the exact same sound signature but with about 20% more detail and clarity, 50% less bass punch but 20% more "accurate" bass separation.

The ATL's have more of a B&W sound signature. A noticeable roundness & warmth. John Denver, Carpenters, peter paul & mary, hindi classics and bengali classics sound very much at home on the ATL's. However I listen to everything from 1930's horribly recorded mono bengali concert songs to 2012 Japanese teenage girl bands to badly recorded tv rips to club mixed lounge and house trance music.

It's in this difference where I prefer the neutrality & resolution of both the e875 and d830's over the ATL's. Avid's preferences are not chaotic like mine so the chances of coming out bruised are slim to none haha :p

This is more like a hangout listening we're talking about and less of a comparison :) After all, nothing is perfect.

Friday is a WORKING day ... 'ow 'bout Saturday? I recollect you stating once about Friday being your 'off' .... is it? If so, and if only Friday is available to you, I may plan to come back a bit early .... say, 4.30 PM. Lemme know. Else, Saturday or Sunday.

Oh ok, nevermind tomorrow then, I have Saturday off as well, but can only confirm tomorrow evening if I'm tied up on sat or not, so I will let you know accordingly tomorrow.

Nope, thats not the thing at all.

I know about this 'fuller' thing, but, the comparison here would be more on clarity and pristine(ness). I have'nt made any bones on the Topping-JBL beating the Krell-TL on certain music genres. Its quite possible the d830s to stand out on certain parameters. So, till the time S-B-S is done, one won't come to know ......

I can relate to what you're talking about.
There are certain things my floor stander does better than the d830's but the 830's on average are better overall performers.

Plus cor.. has always posted about "less" bass from his speakers.

As I mentioned earlier, the bogdan audio RCA cable made a huge difference in the bass and brightness dept. I might get it along for the listening session but they're very delicate and overly tight. Lesser taking on and off the better probably.

Drivers wise, you are already better than that (non diamond version atleast). xo is a different story though.

The beryllium tweeter isn't good?

As far as the crossover goes, for all I know the crossover is what's responsible for maintaining the Jamo brand sound signature that I like....and changing that will turn it into something else. I guess in the future I will attempt to play around with it, but for now I'm quite satisfied :)

Pretty neat video upload, this ..... :clapping:
BTW, you would get similar speaker stands in case you make it to my place ..

And, the ATLs would / might sound a lot different than what you had heard that day! Since ....

1. The tweeter connection on one of the speakers was off ... done now.
2. Cdp to Amp was thru a mass market RCA, now its thru a hand-made Lyrita IC.
3. Speaker positioning has been executed thru numerous hit & trials, finally, followed dictates of 'Cardas' (not exact, but near-abouts).

Last edited:
Oh I didnt know about the rca, nice! I wonder what it sounds like. These bogdans have a slightly warm+neutral signature so it's probably not going to sound good with the atl's but they do a good job of keeping the tweeter on the d830's in order.

Speaker positioning is something I don't take to heart since it's often US who are never really in the right position haha! I find myself altering the position multiple times through the week depending on my mood :p

We really need to have a delhi meet soon, you know more people than me and not an antisocial like me either! An ideal candidate for hosting ;)

Last edited:
My setup says hi :O
Excuse the mess and bad positioning, waiting for stands to arrive :p

wSolR.jpg

4ED55.jpg

d72Or.jpg

Last edited:
Only 1 speaker??? What happened to the other one??? Conked??? :lol:

Buree nazar lagg gayee???

:rolleyes:

The other one is in shadow and the sun went down :p My cell phone camera can only do so much :p I took those along with this one below with my cellphone just before the sun went down. It was a beautiful sunset today.

4bzKQ.jpg

Last edited:
Well they've arrived and all setup now after a couple of hours.

The stands are finished quite well. The precision on the screwholes and curved edges are perfect, no sharpness whatsoever. The main pillar is a little thinner than I imagined but as long as it's stable it's fine. One of the top plates where the speaker sits is not flat, it's all uneven, had to use a rubber foot to compensate the gap in flat surface for the speaker to sit on. I'm not sure if I should follow up with magma on this, it's curved to a considerable degree lol. I guess I could let it be.

Anyway the sun went down by the time the stands were assembled and stabilized on wooden floor so will take pic of entire setup tomorrow.

As for now here are some pics I took while unpacking and assembling, the black color of the stands are luckily a perfect 100% match to the blacks on the d830's :)

sMSii.jpg

4OuJE.jpg

WwPfA.jpg

MGyym.jpg

ONCLK.jpg

TqMc9.jpg

I connected the THX monster cable aswell. The midrange is a lot thicker and richer on the monster but the highs and lows are a little less revealing than the Jamo tinned OFC speaker cables. I think it's a matter of the cables burning in, it's absolutely brand new.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back