My NOS Jamo d830 / concert 8's

I'm going to try and attempt to clear this up.

anm, avid, mpw, You guys are only seeing the parts where I just say there is lean bass. It is simply an observation.

BASS does not define a speaker, just because I've said it's lean on bass does not mean I don't like everything else about the speaker! And moreover you guys have completely misunderstood the post what I was trying to say,

look below

As I start packing them, I am reminded of a review of the new reference 909 series I read a year ago on 6moons. I dug it up and here it is, true to every last word, and also makes me realize why and how the same drivers used by different companies can sound completely different and why I like the Jamo reference sound signature as a personal preference over b&w or Kef or polk or klipsch and every other speaker I've heard so far (I'm curious what the usher be-718, paradigm studio 20 and sonus concerto sound like in comparison.)

This guy explains really well why the Jamo sound signature is something different from the others and why those who like it, cling to it and find every other speaker wrong.

^ Click the link and read it.

This is where I'm saying I LIKE this sound signature with lean bass, even though I question it, it does not mean I don't like it.

I'm loving the sound from these bookshelves! This includes the lean bass!

Anyway, off to the airport I go! See yguys in india :D

Last edited:
its all about your reference point. you are comparing them with something that had huge ad maybe bloated bass and hence you find the bass lean.

i think so too.. atleast thats what his observations made me infer.

rgds,
mpw

its all about your reference point. you are comparing them with something that had huge ad maybe bloated bass and hence you find the bass lean.

a gurgaon trip is pending for auditions.
Manav, CyberVinay, CorElement are the ppl who need to invite me. Please feel free to add yourself to the list.

Vinay is in dwarka if you plan to go i will accompany you. Btw you are always welcome at my place just 2 hrs notice please to rush home if iam nearby :eek:hyeah:

I HAVE RETURNED!

And my speakers made the trip safely apart from a tiny scape/dent at the bottom which isn't visible!

Bingo! That is what I realized later on as well. When I first connected I was too excited to write out observations so didn't really think about it.

Oh man I'm so glad they made it in one piece! I was worried my packing material would have been insufficient for the manhandling of luggage through two airports.

Welcome back!
Thought, you made it back extra quick, though. Different time zone co-relations confuse me sick.
BTW, let the d830s get acclimatised to the heat-dust-sweat here first. Do not attempt to run them now, since weather's too good. Could result in 'badhazmi' (indigestion) when the weather becomes normal.

OH MY GOD!

I Hooked the d830's to the 840a and i was getting a similar sound signature to the sony amp in the US.... Then I changed from the generic RCA cables and hooked up the Bogdan Audio Goldy RCA's for the first time... it's COMPLETELY CHANGED THE SOUND SIGNATURE!!!!!

LOT MORE BASS NOW WITHOUT THE EDGY BRIGHTNESS FROM BEFORE !!!! :D :D :D This is without the equalizer!! Shaking the windows just as much as my floorstanders! NOW I understand what they mean by weak link in the chain! holy cow! the bass, midrange and highs sound so much more balanced now.

My e875's normally run at -54db but the d830's are demanding -35db power from the amplifier. +10 is the amp's limit :D Guess they are power hungry indeed!

Welcome back!
Thought, you made it back extra quick, though. Different time zone co-relations confuse me sick.
BTW, let the d830s get acclimatised to the heat-dust-sweat here first. Do not attempt to run them now, since weather's too good. Could result in 'badhazmi' (indigestion) when the weather becomes normal.

No man =( 24 hours on plane :( I'm seriously jetlagged, I'm supposed to be asleep, no sleep for 2 days. Running on adrenline, but what can I do, sleep doesnt come lol.

HAHAHAHA badhazmi :D Too late though, already hooked them up with the goldy's :D Only the thx monster cable left to hookup but I'm questioning if I should or not or save it for future use.

Last edited:
Update guys!

Magma is almost done with my custom stands and should get delivered by the end of the week.

It's basically the following specs

Column: Sal Alif Pillar
- 0.5" round hole on each column - 3" away from top end
- 0.5" round hole on bottom plate inside the sal alif pillar diameter footprint- to allow wire through from the bottom of the plate and exit through the hole at the top of the column.

Base Plate : 10mm plate laser cut as per Prime design instead of Alif's

Colour : Matt Black

Height : 25"

Spikes : Type 3 Bottom adjustable concealed spikes with silicone damping washers and Steel top cap.

IsoSpike3.jpg

Top Plate : 7x9"

It will basically look like this but without the brass caps (will be silver instead) and a little taller:
1317508724.jpg
1317508727.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good .... but, you could have looked at a stand height of 30" instead of 25" and planned for 3 spikes per stand, instead of the 'always' 4.

Looks good .... but, you could have looked at a stand height of 30" instead of 25" and planned for 3 spikes per stand, instead of the 'always' 4.

I know what you mean man, that's what the design from Jamo for the concert 8 originally was.

54959059_343_9999_0_0_0_0.jpg

I tried looking for this but it's near impossible to find outside of Europe.

So when I contacted magma he gave me a list of options I can mix and match to keep it affordable as making a new design meant making new templates and this would dramatically increase the pricing.

This design we reached is basically a watered down version of the "prime" model which is his best template based model offering the best stability for heavy bookshelf speakers 12kg+

http://www.soundfoundations.in/prime/

Last edited:
ehehe ... so without knowing the history too, I get it spot on!
BTW, thats not what I meant. Even with the square / rectangular base, one can easily fit in 3 spikes instead of the 4. Drill 3 holes, one at the centre rear and the other two at the front edges ... thats it! Far more stable than the 4 spiked one.

Hmm,yes I can see what you mean, 3 points of balance would basically eliminate the need for adjustment of the 4th on square and rectangular bases.

I think this design with the 4 protruding spike supports is popular in stand designs because it does a similar kind of self adjusting with the protrusions bending a tiny amount to balance the weight, unlike a fixed / rigid unified surface where one has to adjust manually.

It's probably not as efficient as a three spiker but I think the larger surface area combined with the bendy protrusions probably makes it more stable than a typical square, rectangle or generally unified plain surface.

I've been listening to my setup since morning today like I did yesterday.

I think the Bogdan Audio Goldy Interconnects have had the biggest impact on the sound.

Yesterday when I was using a slightly better than generic copper rca cable between STX and 840a, I had to use the equalizer on the STX to bring the sound closer to my preference, but with the goldy IC, I'm only getting the best sound with the EQ disabled, making any changes to the EQ on any frequency is negatively affecting the sound, and it's not my imagination either, it's very audible. 1 db change on 60 or 100 or 250 500 750 1k 2k 4k 5k 10k... audible at all frequencies, is this what they call reference grade sound?

Have the equalizer on the ca840s disabled as well as the equalizer on the STX.

The lack of bass is gone, the brightness is gone, all settings flat giving the best balanced round velvety sound with a large sound-stage at low volume......perfect synergy :)

:) :) super happy my prediction for the goldy's + CA840a being a good match for the jamo's worked out better than I imagined :) :)

Last edited:
Back