Panasonic 2010 Plasma lineup launched in India

Inquired Abhirami AV in Chennai just now and they quoted 66k for 42" V20.

How come the same TV is much cheaper in India ? Is there a catch ?
Nope, there is no catch. In fact, if the V20 was sold in the US it would have been for far less than the Indian price. The US has the G25 series instead of the V20 series and the 42" G20 is available at retail, in the US, for $900 (approx. Rs. 43,000). As for the price comparison with Britain and Australia, first of all both these countries are very expensive countries, specially for electronics. Secondly and more importantly, you are comparing list prices with the retail (discounted) price that you have negotiated. I am sure the list price in India is higher or atleast the same as Britain and Australia.

Nope, there is no catch. In fact, if the V20 was sold in the US it would have been for far less than the Indian price. The US has the G25 series instead of the V20 series and the 42" G20 is available at retail, in the US, for $900 (approx. Rs. 43,000). As for the price comparison with Britain and Australia, first of all both these countries are very expensive countries, specially for electronics. Secondly and more importantly, you are comparing list prices with the retail (discounted) price that you have negotiated. I am sure the list price in India is higher or atleast the same as Britain and Australia.

Right! V20 isn't launched in the US, instead G25 has been launched. It's priced at about INR43k. G25 is similar to V20 but has THX certification. V20 on the other hand has slimmer design and an extra HDMI port. G25 might have been slightly less expensive than V20 had it been sold in India but unfortunately it's not gonna come here.

Btw, the UK price I mentioned is in fact the retail price. Electronics in fact are much more expensive in the UK! But then speakers are much cheaper there.

went to Panasonic Brand shop at Crawford Market yesterday and had a look at 42V20 and i gotta tell you this Plasma is amazing very bright, vibrant color and great black level although it was mounted right below the couple of big fluorescent bulb but it never looked washed out. the price was quoted 73K if paid in cash.

But is it the same that we get in India as V20D?
I guess we are getting the G20D and hence must be referring to the review of G20 instead.
I am confused. :sad:

the difference between UK V20 and ours is they have THX mode and their panel comes with infinite black pro technology.

Hmmm.. no mention of the floating black level i might go and take a demo myself to see if the issue has been resolved or not on the newer models, apparently the G20 series which has not been launched in India does have this issue.

Last edited:
went to Panasonic Brand shop at Crawford Market yesterday and had a look at 42V20 and i gotta tell you this Plasma is amazing very bright, vibrant color and great black level although it was mounted right below the couple of big fluorescent bulb but it never looked washed out. the price was quoted 73K if paid in cash.

Did you check the price of 50V20? I hope the MRP would be 1.3L and can be bargained from variuos dealers for 1.1L

Well going by the said price of A20 of 45k by other members and comparing them to thailand price which is 25990 baht .
The 50V20 is priced at 69990 baht so the V20 in india should be priced in theory at 1.20lakh .

okay i enquired about the new sets today and apparently none of the higher end model have hit the market as of now two models were on display A20 and X20, i inquired about the A20 and they quoted a price of 47K, one interesting thing in the above review is about the input lag which i am quite weary about and if what the review says is found to be correct that would well make me take a decision in panasonic's favour despite the rising blacks and floating blacks issue, plus infinte black that is 5 million to 1 is something i wanna see for myself.

Here is what the review says about gaming
Gaming Performance

Moving to gaming performance and again plasma technology comes through as offering very little lag time, with the V20 managing a respectable 15ms of lag. This means that even the most hardcore of gamers will probably never notice any delay between keying a move and the response on screen.

42" V20 is for 73K with 0% EMI, or cash opr whatever method of payment you want, I have the quote from the Panasonic brand shop in Pune. He is yet to get the TV though, and is to give me call as soon as it comes in. . . .Hopefull by this weekend he has some v20's in stock.

Crazy pricing. When the 50 inch A20 / X20 can be priced at 69,990 in Thailand, why is it almost double the cost in India? The reason for this is probably "all the plasma panels are made in Japan sir", told to me by one of the sales guys at a Panasonic brand shop last year.

I did however see a sticker on the top left or bottom left corners of the plasmas in the brand shop, saying "panel made in Japan". So it might be true.

Still, most 50 inch Panasonic plasmas are just beyond reach for most of us in India. And I feel they are horrendous value for money, especially considering the fact that LG and Samsung Full HD 50 inch plasmas are available for between 60-70k.

---Venkat

Consider panasonic only for 42".
And remember A20 = C10 and X20 = X10 while bargaining. Which means, A20 should be available ~40k and X20 ~45k. This is what the prices it will settle.

A 50" panasonic is waste of money!

42" V20 is for 73K with 0% EMI, or cash opr whatever method of payment you want, I have the quote from the Panasonic brand shop in Pune. He is yet to get the TV though, and is to give me call as soon as it comes in. . . .Hopefull by this weekend he has some v20's in stock.

Hi Nanu,

Not sure which branch of brand shop you called but Daruwala pool (Rajesh Trading) and Baner rd branch have the 42V20. I saw it today @ Rajesh trading...amazing TV. I have seen the V10 also in the past but feel this one is way better. I did a side by side comparison of V20 and G10 and here are my observations:

• Its got a grey frame instead of black. Looks good.
  • V20 is extremely bright compared to G10. There was a LCD just below it and the brightness was comparable.
  • Picture is sharper than G10. Initially I thought it is my perception but my wife also confirmed it. (Yes before I started comparing I made sure the settings on the two panels is exactly the same. Same video was being played on the two.)
  • V20 colors are extremely good and seem very accurate. We can easily make out the difference between color reproduction of G10 and V20. This applies for SD and HD content. I am highly impressed with the color reproduction. I will wait for the price of 50V20 if it is too high (I know it will be) chances are very high I will go for this.
  • On the SD side both had similar picture quality except that colors on V20 were better.
  • The Black levels are also comparatively better on V20. This was based on the official demo video of Panasonic. I also asked the shop owner to turn off lights around the TV area and then the image looked mesmerizing
  • V20 had 2 USB ports. Not sure if they can play media. The owner could not confirm as it had just arrived and they didn't get details nor did they explore things.
  • Its thinner than G10
  • Power rating mentioned @ back is 350 watts. So it consumes lesser power compared to older sets.
  • No motion blur even on high animation game demo videos.
  • The price quoted was 71K. I didn't negotiate. We should see some discounts

I requested the shop owner if I can get my videos to play and test on the V20 and he happily agreed. I am planning to visit again on Saturday OR Sunday. Not sure where you stay in Pune but PM me if you are interested and we can plan the visit together. This is open for all people in and around Pune.

Regards,
Arun

Last edited:
Consider panasonic only for 42".
And remember A20 = C10 and X20 = X10 while bargaining. Which means, A20 should be available ~40k and X20 ~45k. This is what the prices it will settle.
I think you have the models cofused a bit. First of all, the A20 series is higher than the X20 series. Secondly, don't go by the nomenculture that Panasonci is using here, the X20 is actually lower than the X10 and iscomparable to the C10. The A20 is comparable ot the X10 of last year. I hate when companies do this, the only purpose being to confuse the customer. Also, to avoid direct price comparisons with the US, they use a totally different nomenculture for model numbers in the US.
This panasonic did to showcase their infinite black panel.. lol..
With the grey frame, the panel looks black(er).
I am not quite sure that is the case here. Asians and Europenas just seem to have an affinity to silver, grey, gold, etc finishes and I am assuming that is the reason they went in for this finish. In fact if you noticed the person reviewing the 50V20 for 'AVS forums' mentioned how he preferred this over last years finish of the V10. The US customer on the other hand does not like flashy things and that would explain why Panasonic has only black for all their models there. Also, if what you say is true, then in that case Panasonic would have used the grey finish with their flagship VT20 series also. Personally I hate any color, but black (matte finish) for a TV. When I watch TV, all I want to watch is the picture on the screen, not the stupid TV frame around the picture. Technically speaking and for practical reasons, all TVs should only have a black, matte finish.

Hey Arun, I'm from Pune and also planning to purchase this 42V20 Plasma. 71K seems OK, but I think it can be further brought down if we go for group shopping.

I'm planning to go that Brand shop at Daruwala on this Saturday. Others can also join, to get a good deal. :)

Did you check the price of 50V20? I hope the MRP would be 1.3L and can be bargained from variuos dealers for 1.1L

50V20 is not currently available maybe at the end of the month. it is second in my wish list after 50VT20 which will be launched in August. your assumption on pricing is correct IMO.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back