Panasonic 2010 Plasma lineup launched in India

Thanks Sanjay,

Is it final negotiated price or there is further scope.
I think this is pretty much the bottom line, atleast until the models become a litte older. Based on pretty reliable information I have, the prices of this TV as given by the Delhi Branch Manager of Panasonic are: MRP Rs. 125,900, Dealer Price Rs. 118,400. I have reasons to believe that regular dealers have a further margin of 6% on the dealer price due to various promotional schemes. The promotional schemes probably vary depending on the type of dealer, i.e. Panasonic Brand shop, multiple brand dealer, multiple outlet - big retailers such as EZone, Reliance Digital etc.).

I booked my P42V20D on Friday from brand shop on lansdowne, kolkata. They quoted a price of 64990/- which was the least i could get in Kolkata.

I was told, that they had the piece ready for delivery. This confirmation was done both on phone and in the shop when I was they to pay a booking amount of 25K. However, installment processing by Bajaj Finance monday due to a transport strike on saturday. When I called up yesterday(monday) evening, I was told that they were out of stock!! I was more or less shocked since I had already paid up 25K as down-payment, this was in total contrast to what was told to me on friday evening. I feel quite bitter to say the least.

However, having already paid the money, I think I will wait till thursday (as they have requested me to) given that the salesperson and others in the shop were extremely polite and well behaved.

It was quite a bad experience to go shopping for this TV. None of the shops had this on display. Most of them over-quoted this to be around 70K. Some shops like anandamela were straight out impolite and rude. It's strange how the shops can treat customers this way.

- santanu

65K is good deal. I paid 66K in Blore 2 weeks back. Whatever additional discount shop gives may be recovered by selling accessories (This is my experience)
Try to buy a stabilizer separately. I paid 2.9k for V-gaurd when purchased plasma from same shop. Later I found latest model of V-gaurd is available for 2k-2.3K....

Has anyone actually bought the V20 in kolkata? The shop called me up yesterday again and said the set would be delivered today. Today they again called to say that the set was not available and they may not be able to deliver for at-least another 10/15 days. So, I was wondering whether to pull back my money. It would be interesting to know, what the situation is like in other cities such as mumbai, chennai, delhi and pune.

I would also like to know if anyone has bought this set or the 50" version in kolkata. If yes then from where and for how much and delivery was after how many days.

It seems that panasonic is not interested in selling TVs in India. Even the mid-range ones that they have cleverly renamed to a look like the higher version (like the V20) to mis-lead customers.

Has anyone actually bought the V20 in kolkata? The shop called me up yesterday again and said the set would be delivered today. Today they again called to say that the set was not available and they may not be able to deliver for at-least another 10/15 days. So, I was wondering whether to pull back my money. It would be interesting to know, what the situation is like in other cities such as mumbai, chennai, delhi and pune.

I would also like to know if anyone has bought this set or the 50" version in kolkata. If yes then from where and for how much and delivery was after how many days.

It seems that panasonic is not interested in selling TVs in India. Even the mid-range ones that they have cleverly renamed to a look like the higher version (like the V20) to mis-lead customers.

42" V20 is not available in Mumbai too. I think Panasonic's aware of this model getting good reviews on the net and so creating this shortage so that they dont have to compete with the prices of other brands.

Aha!! got mine yesterday .. looks great ...
If anyone has a colorimeter, I think the True Cinema mode is pretty much close to the THX mode after a few small tweaks (mostly, applied settings for G20 from flatpanelshd), or that is what it seems to me. Please confirm if you can. I think they have just changed the name to save some licensing fees.

Sd looks good, HD looks awesome. Even upscaled DVDs look good.
However, my DVD player had to be adjusted to about 40ms AV delay to sync the video and audio. (Audio goes using optical fiber to AVR, video goes thro HDMI). No such problem while playing the Planet Earth BDs from PS3.

I noticed minor banding while watching some low quality SD content (TataSky signal is awful), that too when I was watching out for it. I checked DVD playback using X-Files: I want to believe, but could not find any banding. Some scenes in this movie have so much gradation, if something critical was there I probably would have noticed it. For the UP BD, I noticed minor banding in one dusk scene only. I noticed, no floating blacks anywhere (SD/DVD/HD 720p/1080p-60Hz/1080p-24Hz) Overall nothing too critical at all.

What it lacks in gimmicky features, it makes up in PQ. In planet earth, I could make out the individual hairs on a deer. Trust me, it is that good. Further more, there was NO buzzing sound at all.

Extreme value for money.

[EDIT]
BTW, the manufacture date is June 2010.

I forgot to mention that they are probably bringing in a stock of about 20 more V20s. If you are scoping for one, you can call the show room at 033-2476-0086. (The phone number for this brans shop is not yet mentioned in the panny website).
[/EDIT]

Last edited:
Aha!! got mine yesterday .. looks great ...
If anyone has a colorimeter, I think the True Cinema mode is pretty much close to the THX mode after a few small tweaks (mostly, applied settings for G20 from flatpanelshd), or that is what it seems to me. Please confirm if you can. I think they have just changed the name to save some licensing fees.

Sd looks good, HD looks awesome. Even upscaled DVDs look good.
However, my DVD player had to be adjusted to about 40ms AV delay to sync the video and audio. (Audio goes using optical fiber to AVR, video goes thro HDMI). No such problem while playing the Planet Earth BDs from PS3.

I noticed minor banding while watching some low quality SD content (TataSky signal is awful), that too when I was watching out for it. I checked DVD playback using X-Files: I want to believe, but could not find any banding. Some scenes in this movie have so much gradation, if something critical was there I probably would have noticed it. For the UP BD, I noticed minor banding in one dusk scene only. I noticed, no floating blacks anywhere (SD/DVD/HD 720p/1080p-60Hz/1080p-24Hz) Overall nothing too critical at all.

What it lacks in gimmicky features, it makes up in PQ. In planet earth, I could make out the individual hairs on a deer. Trust me, it is that good. Further more, there was NO buzzing sound at all.

Extreme value for money.

[EDIT]
BTW, the manufacture date is June 2010.

I forgot to mention that they are probably bringing in a stock of about 20 more V20s. If you are scoping for one, you can call the show room at 033-2476-0086. (The phone number for this brans shop is not yet mentioned in the panny website).
[/EDIT]

santanu, congrats on your purchase. how much did you finally pay and could you pls update on the pricing and availiabilty of the 50".

santanu, congrats on your purchase. how much did you finally pay and could you pls update on the pricing and availiabilty of the 50".

50V20 is available in Pune for 1.25 Lacs. This is the price quoted on phone. I am sure there is scope for negotiations.

The V20 is far superior to the U20. If budget is no constraint, then I suggest you wait for the V20.

Hi sanjay,

i finally settled for d P50v20 after several rounds of elimination. i bought it for 1.15 lacs. i hav usd it for 50 hrs almost.Its brilliant as long as it is fed wid a HD source.The colors are spectacular.The Avatar blu ray was especially stunning.

Tks to u and a lot of my other friends who pushed me to go for a plasma in the first place!!

Congratulations for being the FIRST 50V20 owner on HFV! Cheers cheers cheers! Great going! I am waiting to order mine. Please post pictures.

Hi sanjay,

i finally settled for d P50v20 after several rounds of elimination. i bought it for 1.15 lacs. i hav usd it for 50 hrs almost.Its brilliant as long as it is fed wid a HD source.The colors are spectacular.The Avatar blu ray was especially stunning.

Tks to u and a lot of my other friends who pushed me to go for a plasma in the first place!!

congratulations mate, look forward to hearing from you in detail about your set

Hi sanjay,

Congratulations buddy. I am happy that you are enjoying the TV. Don't worry, the switchover from SD to HD is going to be much faster now, specially with HD broadcasting having started in India. The Commonwealth Games and the starting of the Doodarshan HD channel before then, will really help speed the process up. In any case you have Blu-rays to keep you entertained. By the way, I am just a little jealous. :)

Sorry for the late reply...

The lateness however, gave me some time to look into the issue in question, i.e. color banding. Let me summarize my opinion: It's not that bad. Maybe the guy has a defective piece.

Let me elaborate the situations where i have noticed banding:

Low bit rate content: SD video upscaled in TV (minor banding). SD video upscaled form outside (Ps3/DVD player) has minor banding on rare occasions. HD video typically does not have banding. However, even HD is VBR encoded, so low bit-rate portions (BBC-HD logo showing section on Planet earth BD) may show banding. These are typically animated title sequences. In all other cases banding was too low to be consequential. Trust me, unless you are specifically hunting for it frame by frame, you will not notice it at all.

I did not notice any banding in other high contrast situations (Avatar BD night sequence, X-Files: I want to believe DVD upscaled, Live Free or die hard BD/DVD).

Conclusion: Overall this is a very good TV with nice color accuracy and gradation. The blacks are good. The black is not like my old Sony CRT, but at the same time, it comes quite close and renders FAR more shadow details than my CRT. Simply put, in a dark room this looks absolutely sublime. I would recommend this TV to anyone.

You have to understand, that color banding appears due to a lack of gradient information in parts of the picture. It is inherent in the bitrate of the frame. Some sets forcibly reduce this by applying some filters, others do not. Depends on what the manufacturer targets, since such DSPs are bound to perform wrongly in some corner case where intentional low gradient is present.

The ground reality, at this point of time, is that the observations made in the thread in question are way over the top by a huge count. The is not "terrible banding", just minor banding in some corner cases.

Regards,
Santanu

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back