Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Well finally I can post on this thread as the latest owner of the 50VT20 PDP. Got mine billed earlier this evening for the now world famous NCR deal and got the panel at a fantastic price of 65,956/- in addition to all the freebies same as other guys who bought from the EOK counter.

Had also ordered the Buffalo WiFi router and repeater from the link provided by Blasto and the same came in yesterday @1199/- It is now available at 1299/- so saved 1K there too.

The store did not have stock of either the keyboard or the Tata Sky+ HD PVR vouchers, so every thing less the keyboard, the wall mount and the additional pair of 3D glasses will be delivered tomorrow i.e the panel and the voucher.

That is it for now folks and a big thank you to avmaxfan & naimesh. I had missed out on you guys earlier in my 'post of thanks'.

The stock count as personally checked by me stands at 7 units after my pdp was billed. This is at the regional level.

So you got the VT20 with Tata Sky HD+ and 2 glasses at 66k?
:clapping:
Awesome deal. Wrong thread btw

Must be the pdp I returned due to poor packaging which they were quite desperate to get rid off :p
But I reckon if stocks last post Diwali the price may drop to 60kish

Last edited:
Those settings are for initial viewing, later you can change to the THX certified settings mentioned on D-nice thread.

Game mode is really nice for sports. :clapping:

What are the reference settings of the V20? Are the ones for vt20 in the US applicable for the v20d esp. we maybe missing a few settings?

Actually that isn't exactly right. DLNA Servers can be of different types. There are some that offer nothing more than direct file access to whatever client is connecting to them. So it is up to the client to have the necessary codecs to play whatever file it accesses. All the processing is done by the client.

The other type of DLNA Media Server (like PS3 Media Server) gives the client (in this case the TV) direct access to files that it can play natively (needs to be configured based on what file formats the client can play natively) and transcodes the file formats that it cannot play by itself.

Since the Panasonic (or even a PS3 for that matter) cannot play MKV's natively, PS3 Media Server will transcode them to a format that the client can play. All the processing is done on the fly on your computer.

Naimesh, normally PS3 Media Server requires no additional configuration. I have been using it for a long time and it plays almost everything that I throw at it. You might need to play around with your settings a bit (Transcoding Tab).

I have successfully played all the formats you have mentioned through PS3 Media Server on my VT20 (MP4, MKV, M2TS).

I just tried this and works good. PS3 media server on the fly makes the content available in multiple formats and one of them is suitable for vt20 (I guess Mencoder or something).

Thanks for this post of yours else I was thinking of it only as a file server which is not of much use.

I tried the above with my adsl router wired to the TV and laptop conencted wirelessly (g) and it worked satisfactorily for full HD content.

I just tried this and works good. PS3 media server on the fly makes the content available in multiple formats and one of them is suitable for vt20 (I guess Mencoder or something).

Thanks for this post of yours else I was thinking of it only as a file server which is not of much use.

I tried the above with my adsl router wired to the TV and laptop conencted wirelessly (g) and it worked satisfactorily for full HD content.

MEncoder works well for 99% of the stuff you throw at it. In some cases you might need TsMuxer. There is an option within MEncoder that you can enable to use TsMuxer automatically when required. Some Stereoscopic MKVs might require the use of TsMuxer. In such cases just make TsMuxer the default transcoder engine.

Last edited:
:D
Relax and take a sip of water and become less excited.. :eek:hyeah:
It is not 1k you saved.. ;)

Trust you read my post in the other thread explaining the gap of 8244/- .

@Kittu.. You get an underperformed this time.. :D

@Shaq.. Are you listening??

No no kittu remains the undisputed negotiation king.

So you got the VT20 with Tata Sky HD+ and 2 glasses at 66k?
:clapping:
Awesome deal. Wrong thread btw

Must be the pdp I returned due to poor packaging which they were quite desperate to get rid off :p
But I reckon if stocks last post Diwali the price may drop to 60kish

Yes wrong thread indeed, the next morning I was trying to locate my above post in the VT20 owners thread :p

Err.. are you in Dilli/NCR? I too returned the first panel that came my way as the bottom part of the packaging was completely rotted (due to water damage, as I understood). The second box that was brought to my place was intact and clean except that the date of import for the same read 'August 2010' beyond that I had no reasons for concern and accepted the same. Most of the guys who bought it a couple of days before me have recd. panels with import dates of January/February 2011.

I doubt if stocks would be available till then. When I purchased my set on Wednesday, the regional warehouse had a balance of 7 nos. available for sale and since then 2 more people from our group itself have bought the same. This regional warehouse caters to all of the Croma stores in the NCR so add up sales from other counters and it will be 'poof' all gone come Diwali.

Trust you read my post in the other thread explaining the gap of 8244/- .

No no kittu remains the undisputed negotiation king.

Yes wrong thread indeed, the next morning I was trying to locate my above post in the VT20 owners thread :p

Err.. are you in Dilli/NCR? I too returned the first panel that came my way as the bottom part of the packaging was completely rotted (due to water damage, as I understood). The second box that was brought to my place was intact and clean except that the date of import for the same read 'August 2010' beyond that I had no reasons for concern and accepted the same. Most of the guys who bought it a couple of days before me have recd. panels with import dates of January/February 2011.

I doubt if stocks would be available till then. When I purchased my set on Wednesday, the regional warehouse had a balance of 7 nos. available for sale and since then 2 more people from our group itself have bought the same. This regional warehouse caters to all of the Croma stores in the NCR so add up sales from other counters and it will be 'poof' all gone come Diwali.

Yep. I am from Delhi.
My current panel is dated December 2010.
Mine was delivered from the warehouse located in Mundka (near the North West Delhi - Haryana border)

hi
i bought a 42v20 recently for 40000. It is a display piece so i paid that amount. now my main worry is i am watching it in NORMAL mode by adjusting contrast 70. brightness 0 and colour 45 sharpness 20. My question is contrast 70 is good or bad. by buying a display piece i did wrong?

Thanks,
sreeni.

hi
i bought a 42v20 recently for 40000. It is a display piece so i paid that amount. now my main worry is i am watching it in NORMAL mode by adjusting contrast 70. brightness 0 and colour 45 sharpness 20. My question is contrast 70 is good or bad. by buying a display piece i did wrong?

Thanks,
sreeni.

Congratulations on your purchase. I have just completed my EMI for 42V20 bought in April for 60K.

Contrast 70 is high for me, I kept it at 50. Did u check the hours of usage?

Has anyone tried ARC in the V20? In the UK model 50v20b, HDMI2 is supposed to provide ARC. Just wanted to check if the 50v20d also provides it, and how does one configure it?

Has anyone tried ARC in the V20? In the UK model 50v20b, HDMI2 is supposed to provide ARC. Just wanted to check if the 50v20d also provides it, and how does one configure it?

I own 42V20D, the HDMI 2 port is marked with ARC letters. So it should be same for 50V20D also.

I haven't tried ARC, but noticed this just before wall mounting the TV.

I have succesfully tried this albeit in 50vt20D. Settings are to be done under Viera link settings menu (not the viera link button). i dont remember exact settings under that menu now. Let me know if you need them.
After the settings are done, press the Viera link button and it should show you options for selection of audio output viz TV and Home theater.
If you select hometheater, the AVR should be powered on automaticallly (if it is not already) and should start its audio output and TV will stop audio output.

All sources other than those connected to AVR can be played using this ARC feature.

Last edited:
Guys what does these mean
Rated Power Consumption TX-P50V20E : 430 W / TX-P42V20E : 350 W
On mode Average Power Consumption** TX-P50V20E : 201 W / TX-P42V20E : 156 W

Even buying 42 inch ,I feel guilty running 350watts per hour .

Is any one concerned by the amount of watts its consumes ?
Has anyone checked the actual wattage usage using a inline powermeter ?

Guys what does these mean
Rated Power Consumption TX-P50V20E : 430 W / TX-P42V20E : 350 W
On mode Average Power Consumption** TX-P50V20E : 201 W / TX-P42V20E : 156 W

Even buying 42 inch ,I feel guilty running 350watts per hour .

Is any one concerned by the amount of watts its consumes ?
Has anyone checked the actual wattage usage using a inline powermeter ?

The ratings indicate peak power while displaying a white screen. Actual usage will be much lesser. For a usage of 4-5 hrs per day, I didnt see a significant change in electricity bill, so might have have had an increase of around Rs. 100 over my old Samsung 32 inch LCD.

I have succesfully tried this albeit in 50vt20D. Settings are to be done under Viera link settings menu (not the viera link button). i dont remember exact settings under that menu now. Let me know if you need them.
After the settings are done, press the Viera link button and it should show you options for selection of audio output viz TV and Home theater.
If you select hometheater, the AVR should be powered on automaticallly (if it is not already) and should start its audio output and TV will stop audio output.

All sources other than those connected to AVR can be played using this ARC feature.

Didnt see such an option in the v20 menu. Under menu->setup->viera link settings. Set it to on, but there is no ARC option.

Didnt see such an option in the v20 menu. Under menu->setup->viera link settings. Set it to on, but there is no ARC option.

There isn't any option named ARC. Its named as "Speaker control" or something similar.

watched AVATAR blu ray on 50v20..PQ was amazing..good depth..
but there was significant motion issue..I kept intelligent frame creation off..
should I keep it on?
do you people find it common?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back