Sony A80J owners thread (No price talk)

k-pad

Hi all,
Might seem facetious to start such a thread a day after bringing one home.
But despite searching for it a bit, did not find one, so thought will start it.
Drop a line if you get one.
Regards

I'll start with the first:
How do we get them to access our PC files wirelessly? and
How to play files from HDD?

Last edited:
And how to get the backlit Sony remote in India?
Am sure one would get used to the remote over time, but it would be lovely to have that backlit beauty.

Hi all,
Might seem facetious to start such a thread a day after bringing one home.
But despite searching for it a bit, did not find one, so thought will start it.
Drop a line if you get one.
Regards

I'll start with the first:
How do we get them to access our PC files wirelessly? and
How to play files from HDD?
Facetious how?
Premature maybe but even that does not apply.
Recording your journey from day 1 of acquisition is good.

This should be easiest ting to do . Install Kodi- the best player for HDD movies playing and you r done
Will do.
1. Was wondering if I could make the TV access my PC files.
2. Or plug my hdd to the tv.

Will do.
1. Was wondering if I could make the TV access my PC files.
2. Or plug my hdd to the tv.
Well i am sure there are ways via kodi itself on TV to configure and access ur PC drive via shared Wifi . U ll have to google it as i dont have the experience in that area. Kodi has milions of documented stuff on the net for its zillion capabilities. You should easily get it.

Well i am sure there are ways via kodi itself on TV to configure and access ur PC drive via shared Wifi . U ll have to google it as i dont have the experience in that area. Kodi has milions of documented stuff on the net for its zillion capabilities. You should easily get it.
Defo checking it out. Thanks a ton man.
And should check out plex too, right?

Defo checking it out. Thanks a ton man.
And should check out plex too, right?
welcome. Yes Kodi and Plex are neck to neck competitors so tastes differ for everyone depending on use case basis. I prefer Kodi for its simplicity.

welcome. Yes Kodi and Plex are neck to neck competitors so tastes differ for everyone depending on use case basis. I prefer Kodi for its simplicity.
Tried Kodi, but was unable to fig out set up.
Found some success with Plex and have got it set up and running.
Will continue tinkering.
What would be the big plus and minus of both?
Would be grateful for any simple tutorial links for both.
From my searches online even the basic ones are a bit dense for my liking.
Thanks again, mate.

Quick early notes:
1. From my streaming experience, Indian sports broadcasts are irredeemable! The TV does its best, but it's still nowhere close to the quality of other content. Will an STB help?
1 b. MotoGP, F1 and football with claimed 1080p by streaming apps look so much better than 1080p cricket of Hotstar.
1c. Among apps that have football, Voot (La Liga, Seria A and Ligue 1) is killing Hotstar (EPL) in clarity and detail. Yet to watch any CL game on SonyLiv. will update when the next round rolls in...

2. Upscaling of any other kind of 720p and 1080p content is stunning. Ditto SDR.

3. Cinema mode in master settings brings out the best in all kinds of apps and contents. (I can't stand vivid or even standard - ymmv) Try a setting with multiple kinds of content and leave it there.
4. While customisation for motion is just three levels, as compared to LG's 10 scale, one of the three should really do wonders for you. For me, 1 (or "Min") I noticed the famous soap opera effect with 3 (or "Max").

5. Picture setting needs to be done for every kind of content at least once. So if you watch HRD content in Netflix, you need to set it up once. Then, find an SDR video, and set it once again for that. Ditto, Dolby Vision, etc.
But once you have set it for each type of content you consume, they do get saved for that kind of content permanently. It is a one time job, but do take the time to set picture quality individually for each kind of content.

6. On Netflix, the TV just kills it with Dolby Vision bright and Dark, for when you would be watching with ambient light and in blacked out room.

7. This point was very important point to me, and one that @Donivlapog helpfully told me will work. So, happy to report am extremely happy: I watch in a dark room, and the black bars in 2.35:1 content just disappears in the background. Noticed it about both LG and Sony OLEDs in trials. Just couldn't attain that with any of the LEDs I auditioned.
7a. The only light I get now is the picture's reflections off the beige walls. :D
In next room, going dark grey all out, and deep black for the wall behind the screen.

8. Finally, the holy grail: Watched one movie in native 4K streaming with Dolby Vision, and the A80J just blew it out of the park! The colours just popped, the brightness was way too good in a dark room and motion (Custom; 1) didn't pose a problem at all. While it did not have any great panning shots, this particular movie was almost fully in close-ups (which is where, strangely, the stutter really bothers me on an OLED)
Happy to report that I was not at all bothered about any stutter, if there was any, in such scenes. Loved it.

9. TV seamlessly plays 4K in Netflix, but buffers often when playing local 4K files via plex. Need to fig a solution for this, as internet speed doesn't seem to be the problem.

Will keep updating more as I go on.
Regards

Last edited:
3. Cinema mode in master settings brings out the best in all kinds of apps and contents. (I can't stand vivid or even standard - ymmv) Try a setting with multiple kinds of content and leave it there.
Colours will bleed in standard and vivid mode especially in Oled.Also the whites are either way off either bluish or yellowish.Most find it to be popping and bright and think that’s picture quality. Once u get used to cinema mode which is the accurate mode in a tv, the standard and vivid preset will look ugly. Enthusiasts always prefer the cinema mode for accuracy and image quality while others like the standard or vivid preset

Colours will bleed in standard and vivid mode especially in Oled.Most find it to be popping and bright and think that’s picture quality. Once u get used to cinema mode which is the accurate more standard and vivid will look ugly and is the most preferred mode for enthusiasts.
Ya, so true!
Find it so, so natural. Even sport on cinema mode is just stunning. It actually undoes all the problem aspects of a poor broadcast (imho, in my experience)...
Am no great enthusiast, but having tried standard and vivid momentarily, can confidently say it is just not for me.

Try watching space movies such as Prometheus or Gravity or "Lucy in the sky" even some space documentaries in youtube or prime or Netflix. LCD/LED TVs will look super ordinary in comparison.

Try watching space movies such as Prometheus or Gravity or "Lucy in the sky" even some space documentaries in youtube or prime or Netflix. LCD/LED TVs will look super ordinary in comparison.
Am saving Gravity for when I get at least 3.1, sir. :D
As of now, pigging on wildlife stuff. Also helps to justify the spend to the 'room-mate' who asked: "Isme kya dikhta hai? Looks like all other TVs only' :D

Quick early notes:
1. From my streaming experience, Indian sports broadcasts are irredeemable! The TV does its best, but it's still nowhere close to the quality of other content. Will an STB help?
1 b. MotoGP, F1 and football with claimed 1080p by streaming apps look so much better than 1080p cricket of Hotstar.
1c. Among apps that have football, Voot (La Liga, Seria A and Ligue 1) is killing Hotstar (EPL) in clarity and detail. Yet to watch any CL game on SonyLiv. will update when the next round rolls in...

2. Upscaling of any other kind of 720p and 1080p content is stunning. Ditto SDR.

4. While customisation for motion is just three levels, as compared to LG's 10 scale, one of the three should really do wonders for you. For me, 1 (or "Min") I noticed the famous soap opera effect with 3 (or "Max").

5. Picture setting needs to be done for every kind of content at least once. So if you watch HRD content in Netflix, you need to set it up once. Then, find an SDR video, and set it once again for that. Ditto, Dolby Vision, etc.
But once you have set it for each type of content you consume, they do get saved for that kind of content permanently. It is a one time job, but do take the time to set picture quality individually for each kind of content.

6. On Netflix, the TV just kills it with Dolby Vision bright and Dark, for when you would be watching with ambient light and in blacked out room.

7. This point was very important point to me, and one that @Donivlapog helpfully told me will work. So, happy to report am extremely happy: I watch in a dark room, and the black bars in 2.35:1 content just disappears in the background. Noticed it about both LG and Sony OLEDs in trials. Just couldn't attain that with any of the LEDs I auditioned.
7a. The only light I get now is the picture's reflections off the beige walls. :D
In next room, going dark grey all out, and deep black for the wall behind the screen.

8. Finally, the holy grail: Watched one movie in native 4K streaming with Dolby Vision, and the A80J just blew it out of the park! The colours just popped, the brightness was way too good in a dark room and motion (Custom; 1) didn't pose a problem at all. While it did not have any great panning shots, this particular movie was almost fully in close-ups (which is where, strangely, the stutter really bothers me on an OLED)
Happy to report that I was not at all bothered about any stutter, if there was any, in such scenes. Loved it.

9. TV seamlessly plays 4K in Netflix, but buffers often when playing local 4K files via plex. Need to fig a solution for this, as internet speed doesn't seem to be the problem.

Will keep updating more as I go on.
Regards
1C: To the eye, Voot quality still looks better than SonyLiv.

6: Netflix calibrated mode has kind of been disappointing. (Sample size: two movies): Switching between my custom settings as mentioned above, or even choosing Dolby dark/bright has given better results.
Netflix calibration just brings a lot of grains into the picture, and dims brightness. It is nothing like filmmaker mode. Something is wrong here. And it just locks the TV's settings. Have not been a fan. Might be just two Netflix movies (both netflix productions) but not happy at all.

7. Happy to report that this has remained constant whatever the quality of content.

8. True 4K HDR does have its benefits, and the A80J shines bright, from my showroom experience of others.

9. Don't think i will be able to find a solution before I can hook up my TV to wired internet. But will try options and drop a line here.

An additional word on upscaling:
I watched a movie original source 1080p on one day and found it really good, but then couldn't enjoy it in a viewing the next week.
The experience came back on the third viewing when I happened to be sitting 2.5 feet further back.

This led to some testing sessions, and these are my conclusions:
1. True 4K HDR: Go as close as you dare.
2. Keep pulling yourself further away as source quality decreases.

Other additional notes (with some help from a fellow owner):
The A80J pixel refresher kicks in after you power it off. It takes eight to 10 mins after you power off from remote.
Please keep your TV plugged in all times.
If that is not possible, please wait 15-20 minutes before it switching off mains for the night.

From my experience, it does a pixel refresh for 4 cumulative hours of viewing. So, sometimes it will do it even if you have watched it only for a couple of hours.

How do you know pixel refresh is finished? Wait 8-10 minutes after a long viewing. And you will hear a pop louder than the turn off pop.

If you are one of those who turn off the mains every night, wait for this.

Happy viewing.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back