Sony OLED A90J or QD EOLED A95K Launch in India

The following:

In ambient lighting it is said to darken out which with a $1400 premium over say G2, is like a deal breaker for some. Plus G2 has 4 HDMI 2.1 ports which is a big plus for overseas viewers and maybe next year Sony will also introduce 4 HDMI 2.1 ports. G2 is just slightly lesser in HDR brightness but has much higher SDR brightness than A95K. Plus is much better out of box pre calibrated picture viewing than A95K. G2 can tick more boxes for the average consumer than a pricey A95K which is why dealers have convinced Sony to lower its prices. Lg G2 is going out of stock while A95K is being less favorite among consumers. But next year they would improvise and my guess is will be the most sought for flzt screen TV in market.
okay, got your point. I was thinking there have been failures of the product or panel that is been reported and if that is something that one has to be concerned about. These are the advertised features and consumers would surely go over it to pick which of them makes more sense for their use case. Thanks.

okay, got your point. I was thinking there have been failures of the product or panel that is been reported and if that is something that one has to be concerned about. These are the advertised features and consumers would surely go over it to pick which of them makes more sense for their use case. Thanks.
I believe someone else said dealers are saying there are defects with A95k. You must cross check with that forumer ie. @pushkarajd

Hey guys, just spent 3-4 hours comparing all the TVs (C2, G2, A80k, A95k) with lots of demo clips side by side. Here are my findings.

PS: The comparisons were done with Filmmaker mode on LG and Custom on Sony. And with DV I selected Cinema on LG and Dolby Vision bright on Sony. I played demo clips of DV and HDR10 via 2 USB sticks side by side at the same time. All of these were graded over 1000 nits and some up to 10000 nits to push the TVs to their limits.

1. C2 and A80k look basically the same. They are back and forth depending on the content. C2 looked slightly brighter to me, but the Sony processing pulls the A80k forward in some scenes, especially on non-4k scenes and is a bit better in motion. A80k has better speakers (even better than G2) but C2 has way better gaming and HDMI features.

2. G2 is not as much better than C2 as I thought it will be. Most of the scenes look exactly the same on them. However, wall mounted the G2 looks absolutely stunning and the speakers are a clear step above C2. G2 is maybe 10% better than C2 overall, but the difference is only in the scenes that go very bright. G2 v/s A80k however is a much bigger difference in brightness.

3. G2 v/s A95k: The A95k kills the G2. The A95K showed me colours that I didn't even know were possible on a TV. The speakers are also much better on the A95k. The difference is much higher than the difference between G2 and C2. Whenever there are bright colours on the screen, the A95K absolutely kills anything else. The colour brightness of QD-OLED is 3-5x of WOLED TVs and it absolutely shows here.

The A95K is a legit monster TV. Just go and check it out in a showroom to believe it. There is a reason it costs so much, but that cost is more than justified by the PQ.

Overall, if I have to give ratings on PQ:
C2: 7.5/10
A80K: 7.5/10 (but it's more expensive so not worth it)
G2: 8.5/10
A95K: 10/10
I believe someone else said dealers are saying there are defects with A95k.
Dealers just care about which TV gives them more margin. If there were defects with the TV, there would be widespread outcry overseas already. I went to RD and the guy said LG OLEDs are the best and Sony ones are fraud. I went to Croma and that guy said Sony processor makes even basic LCD Sony better than LG OLED. It's all nonsense.

Believe in independent reviewers and your own eyes and judgement. Not on the people who stand to benefit from fooling you.

Hey guys, just spent 3-4 hours comparing all the TVs (C2, G2, A80k, A95k) with lots of demo clips side by side. Here are my findings.

PS: The comparisons were done with Filmmaker mode on LG and Custom on Sony. And with DV I selected Cinema on LG and Dolby Vision bright on Sony. I played demo clips of DV and HDR10 via 2 USB sticks side by side at the same time. All of these were graded over 1000 nits and some up to 10000 nits to push the TVs to their limits.

1. C2 and A80k look basically the same. They are back and forth depending on the content. C2 looked slightly brighter to me, but the Sony processing pulls the A80k forward in some scenes, especially on non-4k scenes and is a bit better in motion. A80k has better speakers (even better than G2) but C2 has way better gaming and HDMI features.

2. G2 is not as much better than C2 as I thought it will be. Most of the scenes look exactly the same on them. However, wall mounted the G2 looks absolutely stunning and the speakers are a clear step above C2. G2 is maybe 10% better than C2 overall, but the difference is only in the scenes that go very bright. G2 v/s A80k however is a much bigger difference in brightness.

3. G2 v/s A95k: The A95k kills the G2. The A95K showed me colours that I didn't even know were possible on a TV. The speakers are also much better on the A95k. The difference is much higher than the difference between G2 and C2. Whenever there are bright colours on the screen, the A95K absolutely kills anything else. The colour brightness of QD-OLED is 3-5x of WOLED TVs and it absolutely shows here.

The A95K is a legit monster TV. Just go and check it out in a showroom to believe it. There is a reason it costs so much, but that cost is more than justified by the PQ.

Dealers just care about which TV gives them more margin. If there were defects with the TV, there would be widespread outcry overseas already. I went to RD and the guy said LG OLEDs are the best and Sony ones are fraud. I went to Croma and that guy said Sony processor makes even basic LCD Sony better than LG OLED. It's all nonsense.

Believe in independent reviewers and your own eyes and judgement. Not on the people who stand to benefit from fooling you.
Hear here @Donivlapog

Great insights.
Now my wait for the 77" A95K starts :)

Great insights.
Now my wait for the 77" A95K starts :)
There is no 77" A95K. QD-OLED only exists in 34", 55" and 65". Maybe next year we'll get 77" models if Samsung display produces them.

Fixed it for you.
Nah, reviewers test a lot of scenarios you haven't accounted for or just can't without specialized scenarios. I use all the data available to me before making a call. My own testing can be flawed, so it's great to have a look at the numbers too and see if I've missed something.

There is no 77" A95K. QD-OLED only exists in 34", 55" and 65". Maybe next year we'll get 77" models if Samsung display produces them.

Nah, reviewers test a lot of scenarios you haven't accounted for or just can't without specialized scenarios. I use all the data available to me before making a call. My own testing can be flawed, so it's great to have a look at the numbers too and see if I've missed something.

I believe "If it looks good it is good". Just look and decide IMO, no need for testing/numbers.

Fantastic review! Thanks so much for sharing it. Were you auditioning on the floor or given an audition room that was darker enough when compared to heavily lit floor. I read A95K may require a bit of calibration while LG sets are almost calibrated out of the box! Any inputs on that?

While going over this Review, review comments and owners thread on AVForums, it'd surely be helpful to learn what the owners have experienced so far. I don't seem to find any failures as such, just that some design related issues which may be very subjective depending on the use case.
Great to see it was given 10/10 just for the amazing PQ, color volume and accuracy parameters. Amused to read that it's been more than a few years since any TV has received top score. While not going after the numbers/score. I was happy to see how wonderfully it produces the natural colors, skin tones and how accurate at it!

Fantastic review! Thanks so much for sharing it. Were you auditioning on the floor or given an audition room that was darker enough when compared to heavily lit floor.
They darkened the lights so that I can look at the TVs. It wasn't perfect as there was a window a bit further out, but there was shade outside and the window wasn't shining on the TVs. You can think of it as a darkened room with curtains down, but not a theatre perfect setting.
I read A95K may require a bit of calibration while LG sets are almost calibrated out of the box! Any inputs on that?
I heard quite the opposite. In the rtings test, both are quite close and digital trends mentioned that A95K was the closest TV he had gotten to calibrated set.

After running the calibrated mode on both, the white points looked almost the same on all 4 sets to me. The white point was a bit cold on Dolby Vision bright on the Sony's, but you can adjust it down or just Dolby vision dark which is similar to LG DV cinema mode.

I didn't have any equipment with me, so my eyes are the only thing there. But regarding colours, all of them looked very close to me, unless there were bright saturated colours and the A95K destroyed the others.

They darkened the lights so that I can look at the TVs. It wasn't perfect as there was a window a bit further out, but there was shade outside and the window wasn't shining on the TVs. You can think of it as a darkened room with curtains down, but not a theatre perfect setting.

I heard quite the opposite. In the rtings test, both are quite close and digital trends mentioned that A95K was the closest TV he had gotten to calibrated set.

After running the calibrated mode on both, the white points looked almost the same on all 4 sets to me. The white point was a bit cold on Dolby Vision bright on the Sony's, but you can adjust it down or just Dolby vision dark which is similar to LG DV cinema mode.

I didn't have any equipment with me, so my eyes are the only thing there. But regarding colours, all of them looked very close to me, unless there were bright saturated colours and the A95K destroyed the others.
Love u Lightgamer bro

@Bloom@83

Mine is based on price point and the 4 HDMI 2.1 interface and Caleb's verdict of 1400 dollars price difference. The gap is narrowing as i can see Sony dealers offering for 2.5 lakhs in some centers.

@Bloom@83

Mine is based on price point and the 4 HDMI 2.1 interface and Caleb's verdict of 1400 dollars price difference. The gap is narrowing as i can see Sony dealers offering for 2.5 lakhs in some centers.
The price difference in India is 60-65k between them.

And in this video he himself picks the A95K saying it’s the better TV.

The price difference in India is 60-65k between them.

And in this video he himself picks the A95K saying it’s the better TV.
In colour brightness he gives it(A95k beats G2 in every review on colour brightness, not only this). But on HDMI 2.1 ports and gaming he gives G2 a huge garland. Ofcourse the gallery aesthetics on wall mounting etc...

@Bloom@83

I’d suggest going forwards not to trust any reviews except completely independent and not for profit ones like few here on HFV , or better check them out with your own eyes before forming an opinion, especially negative ones.
As we say in audio , audition audition audition. :)

In colour brightness he gives it(A95k beats G2 in every review on colour brightness, not only this). But on HDMI 2.1 ports and gaming he gives G2 a huge garland. Ofcourse the gallery aesthetics on wall mounting etc...
Did you not watch the video? He says he chooses the A95K for himself, and the colour brightness is enough of a reason alone to choose the A95K.

The only reason he suggests G2 is because A95K is very expensive and isn’t available. Both aren’t an issue in India.

It’s not just colour brightness. The A95K has better processing, better looking stand, better OS, better sound, better remote and will be more resistant to burn in. He mentions it all in this video which you conveniently ignored.

I’d suggest going forwards not to trust any reviews except completely independent and not for profit ones like few here on HFV , or better check them out with your own eyes before forming an opinion, especially negative ones.
As we say in audio , audition audition audition. :)
Your reason for A95k was due to pores in Kate Winslet's skin. ;) Mine is atleast based on Caleb's 20 minute review. And moreover it is induvidual's preference. Some see value for money and others want bright and colourful viewing. There is no clear winner.

Did you not watch the video? He says he chooses the A95K for himself, and the colour brightness is ENOUGH of a reason alone to choose the A95K.

The only reason he suggests G2 is because A95K is very expensive and isn’t available. Both aren’t an issue in India.

It’s not just colour brightness. The A95K has better processing, better looking stand, better OS, better sound, better remote and will be more resistant to burn in. He mentions it all in this video which you conveniently ignored.
Hey cool down. He gives G2 also some accolades. 60 to 65 is big money to some.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back