Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

My eyes lol. I'm very sensitive to white balance and have high-end OLED phones with calibrated and known white points. Once you've got the white balance down, the rest is fine and just go with whatever your eyes like and your room ambient light is like.

Remember, nothing is accurate in every scenario. Even a 100% calibrated display with 0 dError will be inaccurate in a real world scenario as the display gets desaturated due to ambient light. The accurate modes are accurate only in pure dark room with no ambient light and at a pre-set brightness level. That's why dolby vision IQ(upcoming tech) is based on ambient light and adjusts your white point and colours based on that.

For a brighter room, you need a slightly cooler white point and slightly higher colour saturation. I generally go for something in between the accurate mode and the standard mode, so it's moderately accurate in both low and high ambient light scenarios rather than being completely accurate in one and look like trash in the other.

Could you please give an idea as to how you calibrated the oleds?

Yes, I noticed when a played HDR video via DLNA the internal media player did show HDR prompt. But I haven't been able to get Dolby Vision work in Firestick 4k. Disney+ have The Mandalorian in Dolby Vision but somehow it defaults to HDR10 as picture setting reflects so. So I am still unsure about Dolby Vision working through external devices. Leaving aside, I am impressed by what this set provides in terms of picture quality under 45k. The local dimming algorithm serves it purpose in 90% of cases baring some extreme stress cases like starfield or the video linked here where blooming can be seen. But in majority of real scenes it works fine 95% of times. Brightness is also sufficient and parents won't like a more brighter TV:D. Motion is it's weak point and it stutters here and there and majorly in panning scenes. Colors I am not able to set it perfectly to my taste. Can you share your HDR and SDR setting, I tried some changes but couldn't settle on one. Infact I think we should create a separate thread dedicated to U7890 members sharing their settings and find the best setting possible since in India it's near impossible to get your set calibratedhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mandalorian

I can confirm, Firestick 4k plays Netflix's Dolby Vision content since I switched to UDH plan. And even the Disney+ does too. Tried to launch The Mandalorian and it came up with Dolby Vision logo.

@aditya2603d , it seems like @sijuvrm has managed to get Dolby Vision working on firestick 4k. Make your you have colour gamut set to native and HDMI mode set to enhanced. Else you guys can discuss how to debug this issue together.

About the motion, you can try the settings I shared(judder reduction 6 and blur reduction you can try from 0-3. I'll share the final settings soon as I'm also working on getting the motion looking good. Judder reduction 6 for standard mode and 10 for sports mode look good as of now (sharing sports mode settings in some time too, set especially for IPL).

I'm also trying to see the local dimming stuff. There's a lot of blooming on grey UI elements with local dimming set to high. And we don't need high local dimming for standard SDR mode, so will try medium today. But if it doesn't bother you leave it at high since you aren't seeing UI elements that much anyway.

I'm creating a thread too. Give me a few hours as today on Saturday I'll get more time to really dial in the settings, though I'm quite close.

Now, what is this SLED, which Realme is launching? Only a marketing gimmick?

Looks like it. The reason other manufacturers use blue LEDs for backlight is because of high energy in blue due to less wavelength. Using all 3 colours is a stupid idea because it reduces your pixel pitch and the panel will become less bright. I bet the realme TV won't even go 500 nits.

Panel manufacturers like Samsung aren't idiots and have done a lot of research before coming to this conclusion.

The TV is delivered now.. Man is it a Biiiiiig package or what :p. Its a 65 inch big boy!!

The delivery person said, tomorrow the Toshiba person (I feel a 3rd party vendor) will install the TV and then you can raise complaint if its damaged during transit.

Now eagerly waiting for the installation guys to show up and start exploring the TV.

The TV is delivered now.. Man is it a Biiiiiig package or what :p. Its a 65 inch big boy!!

The delivery person said, tomorrow the Toshiba person (I feel a 3rd party vendor) will install the TV and then you can raise complaint if its damaged during transit.

Now eagerly waiting for the installation guys to show up and start exploring the TV.
You bought in online or offline? I placed an order on 21st Sep and will get delivery only next week. Almost a week for delivery to Pune whereas some have already received and started using their TV. Darn!

You bought in online or offline? I placed an order on 21st Sep and will get delivery only next week. Almost a week for delivery to Pune whereas some have already received and started using their TV. Darn!

Online on Amazon. During sale it showed delivery as 9th Oct, but when I placed order it started showing today as delivery day

Sorry jumped directly on your post, saw so many tvs been discussed, which model you have bought ?

I placed on 21st night (around 9PM) and got it delivered on 23, installation on 24th. Guess they have more units in Mumbai.

I placed on 21st night (around 9PM) and got it delivered on 23, installation on 24th. Guess they have more units in Mumbai.
Seems so. My order got dispatched yesterday (4 days after placing order) and its gonna reach on 29th. Wonder where it is shipped from. Its not that Pune is a Tier-2/Tier-3 city.

I can confirm, Firestick 4k plays Netflix's Dolby Vision content since I switched to UDH plan. And even the Disney+ does too. Tried to launch The Mandalorian and it came up with Dolby Vision logo.
Are you saying you are getting Dolby Vision prompt on playing Mandalorian or you are talking about Dolby Vision logo that is shown in the description of the show. I also get DV logo on the show description but no prompt on playing the episode. Even when I check picture setting it doesn't change to Dolby Vision Bright/Dark but only to HDR. That means it's playing in HDR10 standard. Can you please clarify if you are getting the DV prompt on playing Mandalorian or not and is the picture setting changing to Dolby Vision or HDR Night/Bright.

@aditya2603d , it seems like @sijuvrm has managed to get Dolby Vision working on firestick 4k. Make your you have colour gamut set to native and HDMI mode set to enhanced. Else you guys can discuss how to debug this issue together.

About the motion, you can try the settings I shared(judder reduction 6 and blur reduction you can try from 0-3. I'll share the final settings soon as I'm also working on getting the motion looking good. Judder reduction 6 for standard mode and 10 for sports mode look good as of now (sharing sports mode settings in some time too, set especially for IPL).

I'm also trying to see the local dimming stuff. There's a lot of blooming on grey UI elements with local dimming set to high. And we don't need high local dimming for standard SDR mode, so will try medium today. But if it doesn't bother you leave it at high since you aren't seeing UI elements that much anyway.

I'm creating a thread too. Give me a few hours as today on Saturday I'll get more time to really dial in the settings, though I'm quite close.
I tried 3 and 6 for Judder reduction but I am too sensitive to soap opera effect and just couldn't get the movie feel I am used to so turned it off for movies. For sports judder reduction of 10 works greats. Finally today I completed my panel testing. And I think I won the panel lottery:). Panel is Exceptionally clean for a VA LCD with minimum dse. There are no uniformity issues as such, no banding, no dark patches, light bleed. Can see some clouding here and there and there is horrible pixelation and banding in firestick background and interface but I believe it's interface to blame rather than the panel. Still haven't been able to validate whether it's a 8 bit, 8 + frc or 10 bit panel, trying some patterns to test but don't know how sure I can be about it.

Are you saying you are getting Dolby Vision prompt on playing Mandalorian or you are talking about Dolby Vision logo that is shown in the description of the show. I also get DV logo on the show description but no prompt on playing the episode. Even when I check picture setting it doesn't change to Dolby Vision Bright/Dark but only to HDR. That means it's playing in HDR10 standard. Can you please clarify if you are getting the DV prompt on playing Mandalorian or not and is the picture setting changing to Dolby Vision or HDR Night/Bright.
I am getting Dolby Vision at both the places, at description and when playing. TV's Picture setting has Dolby Vision options too. I am adding pics of Dolby Vision for Mandalorian from Disney+ and Letter for the king from Netflix. Also my Firestick 4k display settings for reference.

Attachments

• 20200926_122006.jpg
    20200926_122006.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200926_122143.jpg
    20200926_122143.jpg
    545.2 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200926_122224.jpg
    20200926_122224.jpg
    553.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 20200926_122243.jpg
    20200926_122243.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 107
  • 20200926_122414.jpg
    20200926_122414.jpg
    765 KB · Views: 104
  • 20200926_122425.jpg
    20200926_122425.jpg
    462.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 20200927_015508.jpg
    20200927_015508.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200927_015713.jpg
    20200927_015713.jpg
    514.4 KB · Views: 97
Still haven't been able to validate whether it's a 8 bit, 8 + frc or 10 bit panel, trying some patterns to test but don't know how sure I can be about it.

Why try so hard to find out.how thats gonna change anything.Just start enjoying your tv.If you frequently notice banding in real life usage then do tests.Anyways 99% content we watch is 8bit.

I tried 3 and 6 for Judder reduction but I am too sensitive to soap opera effect and just couldn't get the movie feel I am used to so turned it off for movies. For sports judder reduction of 10 works greats.

I also ended up doing the same, as 3 and 6 were just experimental starts and I didn't test them thoroughly. I'm fine with the smooth soap opera effect as long as there's no judder. However, even 1 introduces weird motion on complex movements and the motion looks uneven (albeit smooth). So it looks processed rather than from a native 60Hz source.

I ended up off for SDR and HDR mode, and 10 de-judder, 1 de-blur for sports. Will share the complete settings in some time as I ended up with the perfect ones finally (I think).

Finally today I completed my panel testing. And I think I won the panel lottery:). Panel is Exceptionally clean for a VA LCD with minimum dse. There are no uniformity issues as such, no banding, no dark patches, light bleed. Can see some clouding here and there and there is horrible pixelation and banding in firestick background and interface but I believe it's interface to blame rather than the panel. Still haven't been able to validate whether it's a 8 bit, 8 + frc or 10 bit panel, trying some patterns to test but don't know how sure I can be about it.

Even my panel is exceptionally clean. The only thing I see is the corners are a bit dark with slight vignetting, but that's common on H8F and other FALD panels. About the banding, that's due to local dimming on grey. Unfortunately, the TV doesn't allow setting a separate mode for the UI so you'll have to deal with it. It will go away if you set local dimming to low.

I thought Disney + hotstar just started supporting 4k HDR and DV is not yet out. That's what I see in the news. @sijuvrm might be lucky and part of an A/B test. So if you're not getting 4k Dolby Vision in Hotstar, don't worry. You should get DV in Netflix though.

The panel is 8-bit + FRC and even with test patterns, you won't be able to tell the difference between 8+ FRC and 10-bit because they're functionally the same. The only way to tell is through a high-speed camera. If dithering is done well 8+FRC is indistinguishable from native 10-bit.

Last edited:
Hey guys, here are my final settings with explanations. I currently did for 3 modes SDR, HDR and sports. For Dolby Vision I don't have much content that works on it and the default Dolby Vision bright mode looks good to me(I'll adjust it if I need tuning maybe a couple weeks later if I'm getting bored). Anyway, here's what the 3 modes are for:
  1. HDR: For HDR10 content. Here you want the best specular highlights, accurate white balance for skin tones and a bit of image pop you'd not get on SDR content. Also the image must look very good. I'm NOT going for absolute accuracy here but making the image look as good as possible without making the colours look wrong (that's also my principle with other modes). Mode started from (HDR dynamic, as I want to preserve the accurate modes in their default settings for later reference and I'm modifying every setting anyway).
  2. Sports: This is for cricket only, and I tuned it using IPL. Currently, the IPL getting streamed is 30 fps AND a bit desaturated. So this mode might not work for 50/60 fps football games as well as it does for cricket. I'll explain the reasoning behind the settings soon, so you might change it as per your preference.(mode started from: sports)
  3. SDR: Anything not in the above two modes (mode started from: Standard).
An ideal scenario will be 5 modes: SDR bright, SDR dark, HDR bright, HDR dark and sports. But you can just turn the backlight a bit low and make a dark mode, so I won't be dealing with that in this one.

Let me go setting by setting:

Apply picture settings: All sources. Note that this won't apply to all sources, but to this mode on all sources. So standard mode for all sources will be the same, but all sources won't be set to standard. Hope that makes sense. You'll need to check if this mode is set.

Backlight: This is how much your backlight will shine through. Making this high will make your display brighter, setting low will make it darker. However, for HDR content your movie will follow the PQ EOTF curve so you won't get eye-searing brightness unless the scene demands one.

I set SDR to 90, HDR to 100, Sports to 100. For dark rooms/dark modes you can set SDR to 50, HDR to 100 and Sports to 60. Vary this according to your preference.

Local dimming: This is the main feature of this TV. High local dimming will make the blacks really black and make the image pop. However, it will create dirty screen effect(and blooming for black) when there is a uniform background and some high brightness objects on it. For exammple, it will look bad on a cricket match due to the green grass and bright people on it.

I set SDR to high, HDR to high, Sports to low. You can also try SDR to medium, HDR to high and sports to low if you see a lot of banding and blooming on SDR content.

Brightness: This is not your real brightness but weird image enhancement stuff, don't touch this from 50.

Contrast: Another image enhancement. I set it to 45 for SDR, 50 for HDR and 50 for sports.

Sharpness: Again, another setting to generally not mess with. It provides edge enhancement at the cost of halos around bright object. Set to 0 for all 3 modes. You can set to a low value (10-20) for sports and SDR if you're watching a lot of SD content and want some edge enhancement.

Colour saturation: The most obvious setting. I set it to 50 for HDR, 47 for SDR and 55 for Sports. I need a bit more pop in sports, a bit less in regular SDR content and it's about right for HDR as making it higher will make things look wrong and oversaturated.

Adaptive contrast: Low makes everything look worse, medium and high cause too much black crush. This is a setting for low saturation 80s and 90s shows where the reference image itself is washed out and flat. Keep it off for all 3 modes, can turn on if the contrast is a bit low for a particular source.

Ultra-smooth motion: Motion enhancement. I found that the default settings (smooth, clear, standard) are pretty garbage. Also tried a lot of them in custom but nothing really worked as it introduced motion issues in complex panning shots. Motion processing is not this TV's strong suit. I spent hours tuning this with complex panning videos and honestly couldn't get it perfect.

In the end, I settled for off for SDR and HDR, judder at 10 and blur at 1 (in custom) for sports. Finally, good motion from this TV and nothing jumps out which is great. In an ideal scenario, you'd want to use stronger processing say from an HTPC and MadVR. The TV supports 24p input so you can program it with that and get MadVR to do the pulldown and motion processing with you. It won't introduce any soap and reduce telecine judder. But this is a cheap TV so you can't expect to put a 1 lac HTPC for processing.

In the end, motion is above acceptable after the settings above and on par with my parent's older Sony 42-KDLW650A which was among the first TVs to have the Motionflow 200 tech Sony is using even today.

Noise reduction/MPEG noise reduction: Keep it on low for both. You can also keep it off but low doesn't make a difference for me and it will likely help with low-resolution content.

White balance: The most important setting. Cool is bad and way too cool. Standard is a bit too cool and Warm is a bit too warm for my liking. So I set it to Standard(slightly blue, but added Red and Green till colours looked right)

SDR/sports- standard with red and green offset set to +1 in expert settings>white balance
HDR - standard with red offset set to +1 in expert settings>white balance. Setting green to +1 made it a bit too green since there's already a bit of green in HDR movies dark scenes.

Expert settings: Apart from white-balance set as in the previous setting, you set the colour gamut set to Native. Auto doesn't use the full colour gamut. If you set it to auto, the settings I've mentioned above won't look right and you'll need to set everything yourself.

Also, for gamma leave it to 2.2 on SDR (can experiment with 2.4 if it looks better AFTER setting everything else). Sports to 2.4 (adds a bit more contrast to the sky shots and jerseys). HDR you can't adjust gamma because it uses EOTF and not a gamma curve. This is much preferable to add more contrast/saturation compared to adaptive contrast since it applies a uniform exponential curve to the entire range, as opposed to what adaptive contrast does (which is more akin to a logistic curve and will make highlight/shadow details go away).

A higher gamma will make things look a bit dark and contrasty (Since it's a higher exponential reaching the same final value) and lower gamma will make things look a bit flatter and less contrasty.

If you're following this, any deviation to the recommended settings I've shared should be done AFTER you've made all the changes, not in between. This is for obvious reasons as these settings work great together, not on your own. In the end, you can compare your image quality with other modes and see that this looks so much better.

Let me know how these look for you, or if you've found better settings than these. I'd love to check those out.

Last edited:
Seems so. My order got dispatched yesterday (4 days after placing order) and its gonna reach on 29th. Wonder where it is shipped from. Its not that Pune is a Tier-2/Tier-3 city.
Mine came from some place 100KMs from Bhiwandi. Placed order on Thus, it delivered yesterday and in some time would be installed today

Went to reliance digital to Demo some soundbar's, They confirmed that Toshiba U80 is launching on October, also Flipkart has already mentioned Big billion days sale in their page, so it would be launched in few weeks.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back