Which budget Receiver

Pio 524K Available at seller warranty for 22.8k . Not sure whether this is worth it more than Yam 377

Seller warranties are tricky, they are as good not having a warranty. In case of an issue, I will have to ship the receiver at my cost to the seller, who would then repair it, replace it, ruin it further, etc. = Hassle. I would prefer having no warranty and getting a cash discount. Moreover, on the same page, if you see, he has mentioned that its an Imported Piece and there is No Manufacturer Warranty.

Similar Imported Pioneer 524s are available in the Grey Market for 15-17k in factory sealed boxes.

Are you sure? My bro bought a Yamaha AVR from there last week. He could demo Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha.

Check with Reliance Digital, Cunningham Road. They typically have some display items available on sale. When I was looking for my AVR, I got a quote for 28k+ for a Denon 2100 display piece (not sure about the model number).

Oh thats weird. They had a Pioneer824 in the same room and even after requesting twice, the sales guy brushed it aside saying its not connected, no stock, etc.

Thanks for the tip. I will check out that Reliance Digital outlet.

Last edited:
The final list looks something like this

1. Pioneer 524k - Keeping it as an option in the Grey Market
2. Denon x500 -
3. Denon x1000 - Demo piece
4. Sherwood - to be auditioned

So today I was able to listen to Denon X500 (Available for 25000/-) and sadly was not too impressed. I am a novice when it comes to technical terms or adjectives describing sound, so please bare with me and correct me if my feedback is inaccurate. The sound somehow did not feel soothing, it was direct and a bit kind of in your face. At higher volumes I could feel myself squinting my eyes. The speakers were a Polk pair, forgot the model number, but they are the next version of Polk Monitor 30. Same speakers sounded much better on a Yamaha (2067 or 3067), the sound was more open and was not as direct as the Denon.

PS: No tuning was done to either of the receivers, both were reset to factory settings before listening. Neither Speakers nor I changed position.

So Denon x500 off the list, so is Denon x1000 due to no availability.

A pre-worshiped Marantz 1403/1402 audition is setup for Sunday through some common friends, looking forward to that. This will be the first time I will be hearing a Marantz and going by the fan following this brand has, I feel excited. Reading the reviews, I see that this model gives out only 50watts per channel at 8ohm:confused:. Is that enough to drive my speakers(please see first post for the speakers I will be driving)? Any views on this are welcome.

hi

if you can put in some more....go for Marantz nr1504

I apologize, I totally missed this line the first time. Could you please let me know if you have any idea where I could listen to this Marantz in Bangalore and also, how much more on the budget?

MaSh

Last edited:
Hi

Bangalore there are a lot of dealers, unfortunately I would not know the exact places....guess some of our forum members can suggest.....

50w per channel is actual continuous amplification to the speakers from 20hz - 20khz...so it will definitely drive satellite and decent bookshelf speakers......

When I picked a 1403 (a couple of years back) I did a side by side comparision with X500 using Focal bookshelf speakers, same songs, same position...Marantz is much warmer and better...

1504 guess officially costs between 32-34k and grey market obviously below the 30k mark.....these are strongly built products and nothing happens for more than a year if used in the proper manner.....IMHO....no point taking 1 year warranty......provided the seller is known and trusted...

Carry your music and audition the Marantz...it is a different ballgame all together....Marantz is compared with higher end Rotel, NAD or Anthem......all the best...

Hi

Bangalore there are a lot of dealers, unfortunately I would not know the exact places....guess some of our forum members can suggest.....

50w per channel is actual continuous amplification to the speakers from 20hz - 20khz...so it will definitely drive satellite and decent bookshelf speakers......

When I picked a 1403 (a couple of years back) I did a side by side comparision with X500 using Focal bookshelf speakers, same songs, same position...Marantz is much warmer and better...

1504 guess officially costs between 32-34k and grey market obviously below the 30k mark.....these are strongly built products and nothing happens for more than a year if used in the proper manner.....IMHO....no point taking 1 year warranty......provided the seller is known and trusted...

Carry your music and audition the Marantz...it is a different ballgame all together....Marantz is compared with higher end Rotel, NAD or Anthem......all the best...

Wow that was super quick. Thank You so much for all the information. If that is the case then Marantz get a salute from me for putting out full spectrum specs compared to the 1Khz crap put out by others.

Regarding Marantz, you are really making me super excited about it now and I am trying my best to keep expectations moderated. Will update how it goes. And yes, I carry my music and my speakers with me. Could not do that for yesterday's Denon x500 audition. But the Polk they used were very close to my Monitor 30.

MaSh

Hi Mash,

I am sure you will enjoy and prefer the performance of the Marantz.....remember the AVRs at the dealers place would be kept on optimal settings of FLAT or 0Db levels for speakers ......these can be easily tweaked manually after audessey setup to get the best bang for the buck....what I love about the Marantz is that besides the Bass + Treble controls, you have a 9 band EQ which can be manually adjusted for each speaker thus enhancing the listening experience and giving more boost....

The 50w pc can easily handle speakers rated between 10w-100w RMS at 8 ohms load....

All the best....

Hi Mash,

what I love about the Marantz is that besides the Bass + Treble controls, you have a 9 band EQ which can be manually adjusted for each speaker thus enhancing the listening experience and giving more boost....

The 50w pc can easily handle speakers rated between 10w-100w RMS at 8 ohms load....

All the best....

Don't other Entry level AVRs have the same EQ thing ? Please note, I am in no way challenging the musical prowess of Marantz

Cinebels in Bangalore deals in Marantz.
My friends and I (totally 3 of us) did a group buy from them 6 years ago.
2 AVRs/1 IA from Marantz and 2 sets of Floorstanders from Jamo.

I picked up the PM7001 (integrated amp) for music then and have thoroughly enjoyed it over the years. Early this year did a blind buy of NR1605 for movies form Snapdeal. Pretty good features for 55K.

Checkout Marantz 14xx, 15xx, 16xx series. They will not disappoint you on features/performance/price-point.

When auditioning, ask the store demo guy or friend how to control input level, channel level and tone level. This will give you an idea of the AVR's flexibility.

50Wpc is good enough for most speakers (yours included) and up to 200sft listening area.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi Mash,

I am sure you will enjoy and prefer the performance of the Marantz.....remember the AVRs at the dealers place would be kept on optimal settings of FLAT or 0Db levels for speakers ......these can be easily tweaked manually after audessey setup to get the best bang for the buck....what I love about the Marantz is that besides the Bass + Treble controls, you have a 9 band EQ which can be manually adjusted for each speaker thus enhancing the listening experience and giving more boost....

All the best....

Yes was aware of that, but I myself reset them to factory settings to have some kind of an even playing field. Knew things would only improve from this point. But wanted to know that baseline. Anyways, I am glad I did not pick, cos the Marantz was :clapping:... but difficult to find

Cinebels in Bangalore deals in Marantz.
My friends and I (totally 3 of us) did a group buy from them 6 years ago.
2 AVRs/1 IA from Marantz and 2 sets of Floorstanders from Jamo.

I picked up the PM7001 (integrated amp) for music then and have thoroughly enjoyed it over the years. Early this year did a blind buy of NR1605 for movies form Snapdeal. Pretty good features for 55K.

Checkout Marantz 14xx, 15xx, 16xx series. They will not disappoint you on features/performance/price-point.

When auditioning, ask the store demo guy or friend how to control input level, channel level and tone level. This will give you an idea of the AVR's flexibility.

50Wpc is good enough for most speakers (yours included) and up to 200sft listening area.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu

Thank You for the info. I could not check them out last weekend, got caught up with work, missed out on some deals too cos of it.

Coming to Marantz audition, Yes I did hear a Marantz 1403 and boy it was good in its factory settings, so can only imagine how it would be once its tuned. I was amazed at my own speakers, how good they sounded. A clear difference over the rest, but could not buy as someone was quicker than me by a few minutes and had bought it:sad:. Missed out on a 1402 too due to similar reasons. These things are selling like hot cakes. Was told Marantz are sold before they even come to the pre worshipped market. Never knew it was this crazy. Current owners would know the reason I am sure. Hunt Continues...

For those looking for the prices - the Marantz 1403 was about 2 years old and going to 20k and 1402 going for about 15k(owner was in a rush or had no idea what he is selling).

MaSh

Hi Mash,

Since you heard the performance and I am sure you are convinced now......so keep your ears open and be alert...there are sudden deals that come and go.....all the best.....

Hi Mash,

Since you heard the performance and I am sure you are convinced now......so keep your ears open and be alert...there are sudden deals that come and go.....all the best.....

:eek:hyeah: Trust me, I have everything open that can possibly be opened. Not missing the next one. Do you have a review or thread on your Marantz?

Hi all. Am planning to buy pioneer 524 K.
Grey maket price: 16K
Online: around 24K

Shall I trust grey market guys. He says Singapore import.

Hi all. Am planning to buy pioneer 524 K.
Grey maket price: 16K
Online: around 24K

Shall I trust grey market guys. He says Singapore import.

Moin is it? I did have discussions with him, but was not comfortable with the deal.

Correct mash. Moin in olx. He has mentioned Bangalore. But once I mentioned I want to check the Receiver, he says it is in Chennai. So I felt something fishy...

Correct mash. Moin in olx. He has mentioned Bangalore. But once I mentioned I want to check the Receiver, he says it is in Chennai. So I felt something fishy...

Exactly. Plus he wants entire payment upfront and then takes 2 days to deliver. With the situation in Chennai and plus having not heard the receiver, I backed out.

MaSh

UPDATE: I could be landing a deal on a Marantz 1504. As per the seller its 8 months old and has all the accessories intact including the original packing. If all goes well, it could be home by end of day today, 26 Nov. Fingers, Hands, Legs and Toes firmly crossed.

Hi Mash,

How much are you getting the 1504 for? You can click on my profile and check for posts related to Marantz....I have given my views and influenced some FM to go for the same....they are all happy owners of Marantz enjoying the performance and experience...

Not may entry AVRs offer adjustable EQs where each frequency can be tweaked as per specs of each speaker....

All the best...please check the AVR in all angles...let it run for a good 30 mins...so you will know if something does not work or it goes off...

YES YES YES. Mission Accomplished. Marantz 1504 is HOME:yahoo:. Just finished connecting the sources and speakers and switched on. Love the sound. My Denon now feels direct compared to this. The Denon X500 I heard was even more direct compared to my Denon. Marantz is so open and engulfing. I am yet to run the setup. Its on factory settings right now. Will play with it tomorrow morning.

Hi Mash,

How much are you getting the 1504 for? You can click on my profile and check for posts related to Marantz....I have given my views and influenced some FM to go for the same....they are all happy owners of Marantz enjoying the performance and experience...

Not may entry AVRs offer adjustable EQs where each frequency can be tweaked as per specs of each speaker....

All the best...please check the AVR in all angles...let it run for a good 30 mins...so you will know if something does not work or it goes off...

I got it for 25k, maybe on higher side, I don't know. Just glad that I got a piece with its original accessories and packaging, which is rare when buying pre worshipped. I will surely go through your thread and try to pick the recommended settings. The menu overlay is no nice and convenient.

My Denon 1908 had a 9band equalizer, though I never used it.

Yes just connected the wires, sources, turned on the pass through and running it. So far so good. Fingers Crossed.

Okay so now 2 Novice Questions

1. Somehow, instead of an Audyssey mic, a Sony mic has come. I have not tried it out yet, but any idea if this would work? I don't think Sony uses Audyssey. Anyone wishes to exchange? Do do let me know. It cannot go back.

2. The Airtel set top box is set to give out Dolby Digital through HDMI. This works great when receiver is ON. However, when its in Standby mode, its passing this Dolby Digital signal as is to the TV, which is not able to decode/down stream to Stereo. So I having to keep changing the setting in the settop box. Any workaround here? Any way, to set the receiver to send Stereo sound to TV when in standby mode?

MaSh

Hi Mash

Congrats.....try audessey setup with that mic....it should work...then tweak it to your desired performance...

Try the Airtel box connections...HDMI pass thru is there....it should work

Hi Mash

Congrats.....try audessey setup with that mic....it should work...then tweak it to your desired performance...

Try the Airtel box connections...HDMI pass thru is there....it should work

I don't see any HDMI pass through setting in my Settop box? Just the usual drop down of Stereo, Dolby Digital and DD Plus, with some delay settings. I guess the setting needs to be in the receiver to send out only stereo when in Stand By mode. Will read through the Manual first thing tomorrow.

Sir, you need a special mention. Thank You so much for your super duper quick responses and advices. I really really appreciate it. If not for your suggestions, I doubt I would have even thought of a Marantz.

First let me thank all on this thread who helped me decide. After almost a week of going through all the features, I am left super impressed with this receiver. The sound quality is fantastic and the small undocumented features put a smile on the face.

For example,
1. When the receiver and TV are on and we increase the TV volume, the volume is in sync with TV and receiver, that is the TV remote increases the receiver's volume, no need to pick the receiver's remote to increase or decrease the volume.
2. Switching off the TV switches off the receiver too, if it was on. However, if receiver was switched off, then switching TV On or Off, does not switch the receiver On or Off. So its based on what the status was while switching off or on previously. :clapping:
3. Sony compensator mic worked brilliantly with the receiver. Thank God. Audyssey mics on ebay are retailing for around 4k. The only thing, for some reason, it popped a phase issue on my front left speaker and asked me to check the wiring, which seemed right. Not sure what the issue is.

Regarding the audio format during standby, I confirmed with ProdFX service center, that the receiver will not do any kind of processing(I.e.,downstream to stereo) in Stand By mode. I would have to manually keep switching between Stereo and Dolby in the Airtel Box. Confirmed this with a friend of mine using Tata Sky and a LG TV.

Still exploring the features.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back