Help needed with Room Acoustics (DIY or Ready to Use)

I had reduced toeing angle on my speaker, 3 feet away from centre listening position and noticed sound improved, mid more details, also added additional primaoustic panels in side walls. Also removed all items from top of speakers. I have REW EQ wizard I can measure this week, also I will try to borrow iPhone measure Artnovison apps. You're 100% correct hear all acoustic people generally recommend acoustic 5 surface, also I worry may be the sound worst without acoustic sound will dull.
Please note I have rear side bass trap W3'X6"H 4inch thick 2nos, remaining 6 feet have TV, do you recommend rear wall still need acoustic? same front wall I have diffuser W3'X4H' 2nos, also 1'X1' - 8nos panel primaoustic.
I have thick carpet W6'XH8' between speaker and listening seat.
Four side wall and celling asking acoustic (acoustic foam +Wood wool + fabric) 2.5Lkh and full carpet for floor 20k.
I am worry my room window one rear wall another on side wall (temporary I cover windows by foam and curtain)
After take measurement Artnovison apps or REW, I will acoustic front and rear wall and celling, as you said I will use existing primaoustic on side reflection points, and carpet on full floor. I will update you next week.

Hi drkrack, finally today I has measured "Impulso Apps" find attached screen shoot and text format calculation, please advise me

Attachments

• Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0004.jpg
    Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0004.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 120
  • Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0005.jpg
    Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0005.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 120
  • Rajkumar UserResults-3.pdf
    11.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0000.jpg
    Rajkumar IMG-20170214-WA0000.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 118
Hi drkrack, finally today I has measured "Impulso Apps" find attached screen shoot and text format calculation, please advise me

The artnovion graphics depicting a undue peak in the HF range with lot of reverberation artifacts. I think you'll be benefitted by more absorption panels and by default, the professional acoustic engineers you consulted would have got it right ; by covering all the five surfaces. I doubt that LF abnormality can be tamed easily, so I'd just avoid touching it. Your midrange is lacking very much I can understand, how lacking your music listening experience may be.

Alternatively you have one more option (which I didn't have) ; you can experiment with the positioning of your existing panels differently and see. They don't need to be symmetrically arranged as shown in the website, but you need to get them arranged in such a way that they sound right ; its not necessary that they look aesthetically correct, as our rooms are mostly irregular with acoustics.

Post the Rew EQ measurements as well, so other experienced FMs like @Sound_cycle may chip in with suggestions

Sent from my iPhone 7 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hello forum members kindly advise my what is the problem in my room how do I resolve? If do the acoustic on 4 side wall + ceiling my room total volume will reduce, I have plan to re-positioning bass trap top of speaker on ceiling, also diffuser from celling move to listening position back an add primaoustic observation panels on side wall. Any advise? Thanks.

Hi Santhosh, thank you for feedback, have seen my system? posted picture on this thread. I have TANNOY GRF Memory-HE this speaker sensitive 98db. I do not have much knowledge about use REW measurement, my laptop have 2 audio output headphone & mic I was connected headphone out to my main speaker through amp input (I used Denon audio calibration microphone) had measured, I will upload measurement tomorrow. I do not have any furniture in my room except 2 listening seats. I have diffuser 2'X4' = 2nos and 2'x2'= 4nos will change position, I have bass trap 6'x2'=2nos and sound observer, I will try to change position and measure again.

Last edited:
I have attached REW measurement, please give me advise. Thanks Rajkumar

Attachments

• Both Speaker Measurement Feb 18 2017 water fall.jpg
    Both Speaker Measurement Feb 18 2017 water fall.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Both Speaker Measurement Feb 18 2017.jpg
    Both Speaker Measurement Feb 18 2017.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 81
I have attached REW measurement, please give me advise. Thanks Rajkumar
Though I'm not an expert with REW it shows definitely marked reverberation in mid high range, which should be easily tackled by all round absorption panels of sufficient thickness >2". Take a quotation from local acoustic treatment guys and cover as much as possible.
More experienced FMs, @Sound_cycle should be able to help you.

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

Hi drkrack, I had check with Innovative Engineering (GIK) Bangalore he has gone through my room picture & app measurement, he recommended replace my bass trap with GIK 2 corner bass trap on rear speaker wall, 4'X2' - 3in 2nos GIK Monster Bass Trap on speaker first reflecting points (use mirror trick) and 3nos GIK 242 observation panels on ceiling above listening seat can resolve my problem! cost will 95k . I'm confusing now go with GIK panels (Tested panels with beautiful finishing) or go with acoustic wall treatment front & rear walls, cost 70k + celling less than 1L. I had check many HIEND audio rooms using panels. DO you have any idea which one better. (GIK panels, installation easy, beautiful and long life + Wall treatment they said 5 years life and later may need to repair)

Hi drkrack, I had check with Innovative Engineering (GIK) Bangalore he has gone through my room picture & app measurement, he recommended replace my bass trap with GIK 2 corner bass trap on rear speaker wall, 4'X2' - 3in 2nos GIK Monster Bass Trap on speaker first reflecting points (use mirror trick) and 3nos GIK 242 observation panels on ceiling above listening seat can resolve my problem! cost will 95k . I'm confusing now go with GIK panels (Tested panels with beautiful finishing) or go with acoustic wall treatment front & rear walls, cost 70k + celling less than 1L. I had check many HIEND audio rooms using panels. DO you have any idea which one better. (GIK panels, installation easy, beautiful and long life + Wall treatment they said 5 years life and later may need to repair)

You've already got a good acoustic panel setup but it hasn't been helping you much. I'd definitely go for all round local acoustic wall panels instead of GIK. I feel the total surface area you cover matters, but I don't have any experience with GIK panels, people with experience should be able share much better inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The GIK panels are very good. However, the India D&D doesnt have the time and energy to check and give the right advise and hence give standard cut and paste kind of answers.

From the Indian vendors, Anutone is quite good. One can also do the panels as a DIY with more effort but you will need to research on the materials before deciding.

I had gone through many hiend forum (since last one month), all of them specially advised for listening room should not full treatment, only install panels on reflection points, however I have sent my room measurement REW to GIK - Germany, based on GIK analysed and recommendations, ordered GIK panels it is on the way to my home, I will install next week and let you know the result. I believe my problem will solved. I was contacted three local acoustic company, and check there material and work, I was not happy with them. This is the reason I divert to GIK.

I had gone through many hiend forum (since last one month), all of them specially advised for listening room should not full treatment, only install panels on reflection points, however I have sent my room measurement REW to GIK - Germany, based on GIK analysed and recommendations, ordered GIK panels it is on the way to my home, I will install next week and let you know the result. I believe my problem will solved. I was contacted three local acoustic company, and check there material and work, I was not happy with them. This is the reason I divert to GIK.

What are the panels that they recommended?

What's the panels sizes and price quotes, share if possible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all my room acoustic high reverberation issue was solved by placed GIK panels. Now I have great sound room, now I am enjoying real HIEND audio sound from my great TANNOY speaker. The sound was totally changed. I can trust my ears, amazing sound. I was strongly believed acoustic panel can solved problem instead of complete room treatment. Following modification has been done in my room. Existing bass trap (local made bought from studio shop in Chennai) I had installed them on ceiling (6'X2'X6'' = 2nos) hanging with chain. I bought floor carpet roll type for complete room floor (25000RS) I bought GIK 244 Monster Bass trap pair (4'X2'x4") installed on side wall of first reflection points, pairs of GIK Tri Corner Trap front wall either corners (2'X1'x4') and GIK 242- 2nos Observation panel on second reflection points on side wall one in rear listening position. I have my existing QRD (Quadratic Residue Diffusor) 6nos installed on rear wall (behind listening position) My wife and daughter recognised the sound now more in details, the bass sound just 40dB hit the chest
Total cost I spent GIK 1Lac & floor carpet 25000RS. I bought GIK product from Innovative Engineering Mysore you can find contact information this forum. Find attached REW before and after GIK measurement.

Attachments

• After GIK.jpg
    After GIK.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 101
  • Before GIK.jpg
    Before GIK.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
Hi all my room acoustic high reverberation issue was solved by placed GIK panels. Now I have great sound room, now I am enjoying real HIEND audio sound from my great TANNOY speaker. The sound was totally changed. I can trust my ears, amazing sound. I was strongly believed acoustic panel can solved problem instead of complete room treatment. Following modification has been done in my room. Existing bass trap (local made bought from studio shop in Chennai) I had installed them on ceiling (6'X2'X6'' = 2nos) hanging with chain. I bought floor carpet roll type for complete room floor (25000RS) I bought GIK 244 Monster Bass trap pair (4'X2'x4") installed on side wall of first reflection points, pairs of GIK Tri Corner Trap front wall either corners (2'X1'x4') and GIK 242- 2nos Observation panel on second reflection points on side wall one in rear listening position. I have my existing QRD (Quadratic Residue Diffusor) 6nos installed on rear wall (behind listening position) My wife and daughter recognised the sound now more in details, the bass sound just 40dB hit the chest
Total cost I spent GIK 1Lac & floor carpet 25000RS. I bought GIK product from Innovative Engineering Mysore you can find contact information this forum. Find attached REW before and after GIK measurement.

Can you add the changes one by one and measure the effect?

For example, once you add the carpet but none of the panels what happens? Then measure after you add each set.

Will be useful to all.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back