New Plasma by Panasonic - Viera P42G10 (Launched in India)

sounds lke a fantastic TV. The 50B550 sells for 85,000 at E-zone, I doubt Panasonic has anything that can match it.

If only the B550 was available in 42" with a price point of 55-60k, it would've been a killer proposition.. for me (and I believe for many more), 85k is just too much to spend on a TV, albeit an excellent one..

i was initially quite excited about the 42" G10 but the standard definition performance (with interlaced signals) doesn't seem to be good.. and sadly, that's going to be a large chunk of the viewing..

is there any low cost upscaler for SD? i've already invested in an Onkyo 302 and am in no position to get another AVR..

40" LCd tv

i am planning to buy 40" lcd ...i am really confused with some models.
my first preference goes to sony.But i need to know wether spending the money in worth..
my budget is 80K to 90K. Please help me out to by the best model...:eek:

1] Sony KLV-40W550A
2] Samsung LA40B650T1R
3] LG 42LH50, 42LH70YR

Re: 40" LCd tv

i am planning to buy 40" lcd ...i am really confused with some models.
my first preference goes to sony.But i need to know wether spending the money in worth..
my budget is 80K to 90K. Please help me out to by the best model...:eek:

1] Sony KLV-40W550A
2] Samsung LA40B650T1R
3] LG 42LH50, 42LH70YR

All are very good choices. However, each have pros & cons.

The SAMSUNG 40B650 is very good overall, but, has a glossy screen (not preffered by some). Also, the sound on SAMSUNGs could be better is the general opinion. It has 100 Hz Motion Plus, Ultra Contrast (not found in lower end Samsungs), DLNA connectivity and a Content Flash Library.

The LG 42LH50 is also very good and is one of the latest in the LG line. It has 200 Hz TruMotion, IPS Panel, 2 ms response time & USB having capability to play DivX movies.

The SONY 40W550 is one of the latest 2009 W series SONY models, having 100 Hz Motion flow, Bravia Engine 3 and Live Color. The USB does not support DivX movies. Only JPEG etc. photos can be viewed. If SD content is being viewed a lot, the BE3 will really help.

As you can see all 3 have different options. The 100 / 200 Hz Motion according to some reviews really do not make a whole lot of difference so should not be a major deciding factor. Questions to ask would be, do you need a DLNA connection, do you need a DivX capable USB drive etc.??

Most important points to consider is the PQ & general sound quality of the LCD. Generally speaking, the SONY has a better sound quality than the other the 2 brands mentioned, with LG probably coming in second place. Of course one always has the option of conneting a HTS, but that is besides the point. DivX capable USB drives etc. could made available by purchasing a good DVD player having USB drive. Then again, the 40B650 is feature rich and has got a very good PQ comparable to the SONY. LG too has very good PQ, but may appear slightly 'different' when viewing since it uses an IPS panel.

Finally it will come down to 2 major deciding factors:
(1) See what your eyes like once you demo all 3 side-by-side
(2) Best deal available at the time of your purchase and willingness to stretch budget

Hope this helps.

How can you find out the numbers of hours of use on a 42G10?

Don't have a G10, so i am not sure. However this might help. Got this from a UK/Irish forum. Might work here.

* Hold down the {VOL -} button ON THE PLASMA. (i think this is the volume button on the TV not remote)
* Press the {INFO} button on the remote control 3 times.
* The Service Menu will be displayed with the following menus:
o ADJUST
o WD-ADJUST
o OPTION
o AGING (Red Screen)
o RM-SET
o SRV-TOOL
The {1} & {2} buttons move through menus (up/down).
* Press the {2} button once or
press the {1} button six times to select "SRV-TOOL".
* Then press the {OK} button to access it.
* Using the cursor keys, * highlight * the empty
right side of the last option: PTCT :00.00.00.00.00

* Then press and hold the {MUTE} button for 3 seconds.
* Time and Count will be displayed in red color.
TIME = Hours and minutes of operation.
COUNT = Times the Plasma was powered on.
* To exit, press and hold the {POWER} button
on the Plasma for few seconds.

Last edited:
hi all...

take me in your team :). i recently bought the P42G10D @Rs.61,000/-. i am from kolkata.

i want to know something about the image retention with this model. last evening while watching a movie (my contrast level is at "0" and brightness is at "-5") in a completely dark room, when i switched off my dvd player the screen went black and the Input mode (AV1 Component) was displayed as expected. then when i switched off the tv, the Input mode remained on the screen visible for quite some time. i was terrified. then i tried with other on-screen menus and what i noticed is that, though the moving images' retention are not visible but whenever you call any menu (Input menu, Picture menu, etc) against a black/dark screen you can virtually see all the other menus as image retention.

friends out there who are already enjoying their P42G10D, could you please check with your sets and confirm whether this is common.

my other question is, the panasonic india web site mentions that it has a Screen Saver Wobbling and Multi Window PAT. --but how can i access these features. i could not find them in the menu.

please help me out.

--partha.
[email protected]

Which one I meant. I'm thinking of a G10 and the best price I've got is 64.5k

the dealer is from south kolkata. he made a special discount for me as i am an old customer of his store for more than 15 years and we maintain a real good relation. i am so sorry, i cant tell you the name.

@pps73. Don't worry about the image retention you noticed. It's normal and goes away.

I've had even more retention in some cases. PS3 games with a 'health- indicator-bar'. The image of that bar remained for days and then slowly went away once that particular game was not being played anymore.

hi all...

take me in your team :). i recently bought the P42G10D @Rs.61,000/-. i am from kolkata.

i want to know something about the image retention with this model. last evening while watching a movie (my contrast level is at "0" and brightness is at "-5") in a completely dark room, when i switched off my dvd player the screen went black and the Input mode (AV1 Component) was displayed as expected. then when i switched off the tv, the Input mode remained on the screen visible for quite some time. i was terrified. then i tried with other on-screen menus and what i noticed is that, though the moving images' retention are not visible but whenever you call any menu (Input menu, Picture menu, etc) against a black/dark screen you can virtually see all the other menus as image retention.

friends out there who are already enjoying their P42G10D, could you please check with your sets and confirm whether this is common.

my other question is, the panasonic india web site mentions that it has a Screen Saver Wobbling and Multi Window PAT. --but how can i access these features. i could not find them in the menu.

please help me out.

--partha.
[email protected]

Did you do the break-in? For the first 120 to 150 hours or so you have to keep every setting at half value or below before calibrating.

Bought a G10 for 64k with a free HDMI cable from the Koramangala showroom today. There is also some Diwali special scratch card offers. Delivery will take a week since the stock is not readily available.

Hi,

Anyone have any feedback on Panasonic X10 with SD content (Tata Sky/ DVD)?
How does it compare with PV8/PV80D?

On a different note, has anyone actual checked out Samsung 50PSB550? If so, can you share youe experience with normal SD content? I have gone to a number of showrooms - could not find even one piece of display so far.

thx & rgds.

Did you do the break-in? For the first 120 to 150 hours or so you have to keep every setting at half value or below before calibrating.

@vkarthik: from the very beginning i am running my set @ '0' contrast and '-5' brightness. till now the total running time is around 20hrs.

do you (or any body in the forum) know how to activate/enable the screen saver feature in this set?

well the main difference panel wise is that the G10 which has the NeoPDP is that it can show much brighter images then other plasmas,so when u crank up the brightness of G10 it will consume more remember those ratings are the maximum power consumption of the TV.
to put in simple worlds the g10 is the better model,apart from the above it has a 600hz sub field drive vs 400hz sub field drive.

for normal settings, how much will be the power consumption? power cuts are very often in my area and hence I would like to run my TV on D.G/ inverter.

avimal

I am looking on feedback on SD content (tatasky) Performance G10 model.
My usages are mostly for Cable viewing (Tata sky) till we have HD content available with the cable operator. So PQ and in SD mode is most critical parameter from evaluation stand point.
My observation: HD is amazing but did not find the SD up scaling very inspiring. Practical feedback in comparison to LCD (LA40B650) will be used great help

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back