New Plasma by Panasonic - Viera P42G10 (Launched in India)

My views on G10 performance after 3 days of trials with different sources.

1. TataSky: Connected directly with composite cable, is not looking as good as it looked on my 21" Philips CRT. Images are still soft even after extensive calibration settings. Some of the channels look decent though, examples HBO, Asianet, FTV, Sun TV...

2. Hathway Digital Cable: Connected directly with composite cable, looks much better than TataSky for most channels. Picture is more crisp and colors look more balanced. The one thing I hate in this is the uneven volume levels between channels. Also the STB seems to start at the highest volume settings whenever switched on.

3. DVD player (Philips DVP5986): Connected with component cable, looks very good with progressive scan activated on DVDP. Else it is not much different from TataSky. TV clearly has issues with de-interlacing SD picture.

4. DVD player (Philips DVP5986): Connected with HDMI cable, looks very good with progressive scan and upscale activated on DVDP. Even without upscaling on DVDP it doesnt seem to change much. So upscaling seems to happen well on the TV. Did not notice any difference in PQ from #3 case above. Good in terms of avoiding a "cable jungle" with 3 components and 2 audio cables.

5. Xtreamer: Connected through HDMI cable. Set the HDMI Auto mode on Xtreamer. Amazing PQ for 1080p content. Sat and watched the full HD version of "Transformers: Revenge of the fallen" in one shot! I usually dont enjoy such movies. 720p content also looks decent, though probably comparable to #3 and #4 above. Anything "i" (720i, 1080i) seems to be an issue with G10.

Notes:
  • I have wall mounted the TV at about 26" from floor
  • I am yet to connect the TV through my AVR (Marantz SR5003). Will do the same soon and let you know if there are any significant changes.
  • In built speaker SQ is poor (boomy and illegible at times) compared to my old telly. Keeping the bass levels low helps a bit.
  • I have already experimented with quite a few Picture settings based on suggestions found on various forums. Right now in break-in mode, hence did not keep any settings for long.

Hmmm..that's funny..I can't find the setting now!!
And the guy from Panasonic came today. As usual..awesome. He did not even know the word firmware.. :clapping:

I'm scared for my tv now.. :(

Btw.. what's escalation matrix..?!

Hi folks,

A google search for the G10 firmware landed me on this forum..

I am planning to buy the G10 soon and also finalized on the Onkyo TX-SR577 AV receiver. During my research I came across this HDMI handshake issue between new Onkyo receivers and the G10/V10. :sad:

So my question is - has anyone been able to get the firmware update for the Indian version on G10 ?! Achilles, did u try to update your panny with the EU version of the firmware ? What's Panasonic support got to say about all this ? :confused:

Thanks in advance,

My views on G10 performance after 3 days of trials with different sources.

1. TataSky: Connected directly with composite cable, is not looking as good as it looked on my 21" Philips CRT. Images are still soft even after extensive calibration settings. Some of the channels look decent though, examples HBO, Asianet, FTV, Sun TV...

Hi,

Have you (or anyone else) tried to upscale or de-interlace the Tata Sky signal externally before feeding it into the G10? For example, like with using an upscaling AVR like the Denon 1910.

Does your Marantz 5003 deinterlace / upscale video? Would really want to know the results after you connect your Marantz and pass the Tata Sky through the AVR.

Cheers

I have bought a g10 a month back for 62K with 3 yr warranty. Had a samsung 32" lcd peviously. Wanted to updgrade to 42" and went with pana plasma.
Am very satisfied with the performance.
Blacks are inky blacks and have noticed no motion blur. Colors are solid and the tv does not get hot like my previous lcd.

If anyone needs to ask anything specificabout the tv's performance etc, lemme know.

I have currently connected tata sky, xbox 360 and sony home theatre to the
tv.

Hi,

Have you (or anyone else) tried to upscale or de-interlace the Tata Sky signal externally before feeding it into the G10? For example, like with using an upscaling AVR like the Denon 1910.

Does your Marantz 5003 deinterlace / upscale video? Would really want to know the results after you connect your Marantz and pass the Tata Sky through the AVR.

Cheers

On the question of external de-interlacing, Sun DTH set-top-box apparently offers the option of outputting signals in 576p instead of 576i via component. Refer the link below..

meaning of 576I AND 576P in SUN-DIRECT DTH

Don't think many G10 buyers have a Sun DTH connection though to validate the quality of external de-interlacing vs the one built into the TV..

G10 is having NeoPDP panel. But the printed specs coming with the 42g10D does nt mention it. Has any body found a mention of neo pdp any where on the set or in the booklet given with the set?
I have only read in reviews about the existence of neo pdp in g10.
I must admit however that the panel seems to be much better as far as higher contrast is concerned.

G10 is having NeoPDP panel. But the printed specs coming with the 42g10D does nt mention it. Has any body found a mention of neo pdp any where on the set or in the booklet given with the set?
I have only read in reviews about the existence of neo pdp in g10.
I must admit however that the panel seems to be much better as far as higher contrast is concerned.

hi binoy, it does have the neopdp...on my set it is mentioned on a sticker on the right top corner of the set plus if you switch on the Shop mode it mentions there during the demo.

Some pics taken from my G10 while playing HD content.

Attachments

• Picture 048.jpg
    Picture 048.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Picture 039.jpg
    Picture 039.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 041.jpg
    Picture 041.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 109
  • Picture 037.jpg
    Picture 037.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 110
Hi Guys,

The discussion is very very interesting; and lot technical, you can consider me a NOOB as far as technology is concerned, but i have listed my Question below can you please help me with a clear verdict.

Budget - 60,000 Rs.

42 Inch - Plasma Vs. LCD (40 incase of Samsung)

Rates i have till now
LG 80FR LCD - 54K
Panasonic 42S10 - 53.5K
Panasonic 42G10 - 64K
Panasonic - LZ80 - 54K
Panasonic - LC10 42 LCD (yet to be officially launched) - 53.5K

Can you please help me with this, maximum usage will be Tata SKY DTH and Sony Home Theatre (once a week).

Hi Guys,

The discussion is very very interesting; and lot technical, you can consider me a NOOB as far as technology is concerned, but i have listed my Question below can you please help me with a clear verdict.

Budget - 60,000 Rs.

42 Inch - Plasma Vs. LCD (40 incase of Samsung)

Rates i have till now
LG 80FR LCD - 54K
Panasonic 42S10 - 53.5K
Panasonic 42G10 - 64K
Panasonic - LZ80 - 54K
Panasonic - LC10 42 LCD (yet to be officially launched) - 53.5K

Can you please help me with this, maximum usage will be Tata SKY DTH and Sony Home Theatre (once a week).

I dont see a question here...rates look decent

Guys, booked the G10 yesterday:yahoo:
Price Rs. 56400/= with 3 years warranty:clapping:

Went through the forum quite a few times and decided on the G10. My SD viewing is very limited. Will get a BDP as soon as prices rationalize. Till then, I'll be using my Xtreamer.

Thanks to all you guys.

Went through the forum quite a few times and decided on the G10. My SD viewing is very limited. Will get a BDP as soon as prices rationalize. Till then, I'll be using my Xtreamer.

Thanks to all you guys.

Congratulations!!
Looking forward to your user experience review :)

I dont see a question here...rates look decent

Hey... can you help me choose 1, the entire forum is discussing G10, what exactly is wrong with S10?

And does it score above LCD, what the entire population seems to be buying? Even the dealers recommend. Sir.. Buy an LCD..

@ Mitulbarot - Since your maximum usage is SD, get a HD Ready set. But, if you get a HD player in future, you might miss 1080p in all its glory.

There is nothing wrong with the S10. Just that the G10 is the newer model with a Neo panel and higher native contrast ratio. Both S10 and G10 are FHD. There are plenty of posts on LCD v/s Plasma, FHD v/s HD Ready. Search the forum, its a treasure trove:).

The Panasonic Plasma prices you have posted are slightly higher. Check with another shop or bargain hard.

@ Thetas - Thanks buddy. Sure will!

Thanks to all you guys.

Great price. :clapping: I believe this is a "VAT free" sale.

hi binoy, it does have the neopdp...on my set it is mentioned on a sticker on the right top corner of the set plus if you switch on the Shop mode it mentions there during the demo.

There was no sticker on my set about neopdp.I went to shop mode in to demo. It started playing the channel without displaying neopdp at any stage.
Mine is manufactured in September 2009 in Singapore . The rear panel mentions
model as 42G10D.
Can you elaborate the steps in shop mode to see the make of panel?

@ Mitulbarot - Since your maximum usage is SD, get a HD Ready set. But, if you get a HD player in future, you might miss 1080p in all its glory.

There is nothing wrong with the S10. Just that the G10 is the newer model with a Neo panel and higher native contrast ratio. Both S10 and G10 are FHD. There are plenty of posts on LCD v/s Plasma, FHD v/s HD Ready. Search the forum, its a treasure trove:).

The Panasonic Plasma prices you have posted are slightly higher. Check with another shop or bargain hard.

@ Thetas - Thanks buddy. Sure will!

Thanks Shuv, i guess i am pretty sure of the Full HD part, so wish me luck as i delve into the never ending debate of LCD Vs. Plasma.

Anyone wants to give me a heads up on this one..?

About the 3 years warranty on Panasonic TVs do you think it will continue beyond October? I know they selling it as a Diwali special....Does anyone have contacts with Panasonic to confirm this?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back