Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

I am using this wonderful TV for quite a while. Request the experts here to suggest some good calibrated video settings for different viewing modes.

Got a new Harmony one remote to integrate all media devices but the software doesn't have the default values of V20D. Had to manually configure it but not all the features. Which other remote is as close to V20D? V20A/U etc. have different features but is listed in the remote software.

Last edited:
I am using this wonderful TV for quite a while. Request the experts here to suggest some good calibrated video settings for different viewing modes.

Got a new Harmony one remote to integrate all media devices but the software doesn't have the default values of V20D. Had to manually configure it but not all the features. Which other remote is as close to V20D? V20A/U etc. have different features but is listed in the remote software.

V20* anything should work, as the last suffix D / A / U are for regions of the world in which they are sold, but the basic model is the same at least for remote codes.

DVR Options?

Dear All - Did anyone figure out how to use the DVR options? I could not find much info online except that it should work with a USB HDD (max 2 TB cap).

Thx,
~s~

Dear Anand,

Worked with my Harmony 1100. I just tapped in the complete model number into the desktop software and all commonly used options work. Specialized options like Aspect, VieraCast etc ofcourse would have to be configured manually.

Thx,
~s~

It's been a week now since my 50v20d was installed along with TataSky HD. After playing with different viewing modes, here are my initial observations & impressions:

- Current settings in all modes are contrast 50, brightness 0, colour 50, gamma default.

- I have not come across green dancing pixels so far. Dark scenes are absolutely dark and details are displayed very well.

- HD viewing is simply wow. In TS HD, the best output I get is in NatGeo HD, Discovery HD and StarPlus HD. Star movies HD & Star Gold HD are good too but I see colour banding, especially in skin tones. Gives a bit artificial look to it. Is there any way to rectify it? Since it is not visible in other HD channels, I assume it is a content issue (probably not true HD but upscaled content).

- Star Plus HD has a reddish hue but exceptionally clear PQ. Star World HD has a very smooth PQ but colours (especially skin tones) are not bright enough.

SD content is a mixed bag. I activated the professional 1 & 2 viewing modes and adjusted gamma to 2.2. Helped in improving SD viewing. Am curious to know if anyone has calibrated settings. If yes, can you please share your contrast, brightness, colour and advanced setting (r gain, b gain, g gain, r hue, b hue, g hue, gamma, etc.) values.

Also, SD content via usb flash drive isn't very good. Any ideas on settings tweaks to improve it? Many SD channels look good in 14:9 aspect ratio but I am a bit afraid that if I keep this setting, there might be pixel buring/ image retention of the side bars.

Thanks in advance.

Naushad

Thanks haisaikat and send2sherry for the reply.

I have configured most functions but not all like in Onkyo HTS and Sony BD.

Like haisaikat mentioned, I wanted to know if other series work fine, since the basic features between different models vary. All the others have THX and like which V20D misses out.

How have others having this TV and remote configured your remote? How to request or get Logitech update their software base with this model?

Thanks haisaikat and send2sherry for the reply.

I have configured most functions but not all like in Onkyo HTS and Sony BD.

Like haisaikat mentioned, I wanted to know if other series work fine, since the basic features between different models vary. All the others have THX and like which V20D misses out.

How have others having this TV and remote configured your remote? How to request or get Logitech update their software base with this model?

I relooked at my setup and I figured out that on the online website it does not return exact match for V20 but in the installlable software (My Harmony) if you keey in Panasonic (Manufacturer) and TH-P50V20D (model) it should work. Let me know if this worked for you.

^^I re-installed my TV software in the remote too and voila....this time it accepted. Looks like the model has now been added to the Harmony software repository. I am pretty sure it was not there before and returned the other models as suggestions to being similar.

Can anyone provide me the exact picture calibration settings for V20D please. I have been looking this up on this forum, but could not find any thing useful.

I am currently using Professional 1 with the following settings:
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 20
Colour: 60
Sharpness: 50
Tint: 0
Eco Mode: On
P-NR: Max
Panel: On
White Balance: Default
Colour Management: Default
Gamma: S Curve

Can anyone provide me the exact picture calibration settings for V20D please. I have been looking this up on this forum, but could not find any thing useful.

I am currently using Professional 1 with the following settings:
Contrast: 75
Brightness: 20
Colour: 60
Sharpness: 50
Tint: 0
Eco Mode: On
P-NR: Max
Panel: On
Gamma: S Curve

After trying and testing with numerous calibration tools, these are the settings I ended up with -

Mode: True Cinema
Contrast: 78-83
Brightness: 0-4
Colour: 40-50
Everything else: 0 or OFF
Gamma: 2.6

(For SD content you may increase sharpness if you want.)

These settings will result in good brightness and contrast and will give very good details in both whites and blacks. Color can't be calibrated unless we have calibration hardware, so it's better to use true cinema mode which will give the truest colors.

If you're breaking-in your plasma, it's better to use Pro 1 mode with contrast at around 50 when you're watching content with black bars (ie. content that doesn't fill up the whole screen). Even during break-in period don't be afraid to watch full screen content in true cinema mode with high contrast. Break-in your plasma for about a month.

Hi all,

How much time does it normally take to receive the extended warranty confimation from Panasonic. I received a card from the dealer which needs to be sent to the company along with original invoice. On going thru the fine print, I found that the extended warranty is applicable only on sales during Dec'10 to March'11. Possession of the card itself does not indicate warranty for 3 years unless the company sends a letter giving confirmation. The dealer says it is a non-issue. He confirmed that he had sent a copy of the card & invoice to Panasonic and it normally takes a long time to receive the confirmation letter. Any such experiences?

Naushad

Ah my friend, ask me about it. I got into this stupid warranty claim and now its close to 6 months and yet to get it back. I asked them when are you sending it back. They say they are yet to receive the copy I sent. After about 3 months of every week calls finally they said they got my copy. Then another 2 months to process. Two weeks back when I called up they told me the processing is complete and they are going to send it to me. They told me the unique number also. They said in 10 days they will send it and its more than 10 days now and no sign of getting that. I guess I have to call them again.

All the best!
Anish

if they decided they are going to give 3 year warranty, why not give it at the time of sale.
Why a customer has to runaround to get the warranty confirmation.Unless they are thinking because of all this hassle most people will forget about this and they will escape from giving 3 year warranty

I agree, the whole circus of sending the filled up form and then getting the acknowledgment back is funny..

I had called the Panasonic helpline and it connected to a number in Chennai, the rep there told me me not to worry about the acknowledgement document. he gave me a unique extended warranty number registered for my set which i have made a note of. He told me to quote that no. whenever the situation arises as the extended warranty number is tagged to the serial no. of my set in the Panasonic database, hope this info helped ...

P.S: I am yet to receive any documentation from Panasonic, i am trusting the reps word for now ;)

My v20 went dead yesterday. 4 blinking red light and the display wont turn on. A week before it went dead intermittent white horizontal lines started to come on HDMI inputs. Today the service engineer came and said that the "scan board" is shorted. He is going to order a new board.

My equipments are well protected with backup, stabilizer and surge protectors. Also the TV is like only 3 months old. Very disappointed.

Anybody else faced the same issue?

My v20 went dead yesterday. 4 blinking red light and the display wont turn on. A week before it went dead intermittent white horizontal lines started to come on HDMI inputs. Today the service engineer came and said that the "scan board" is shorted. He is going to order a new board.

My equipments are well protected with backup, stabilizer and surge protectors. Also the TV is like only 3 months old. Very disappointed.

Anybody else faced the same issue?

Thats bad, hope your issue gets sorted out fast. I have not come across anyone else in this forum with a similar issue. Did the technician give a explanation as to why the board cloud have shorted out ?...

Keep us posted on the developments ...

P.S : Also let us know what type of sources are usually connected to the TV directly, just out of curiosity .... tks

Last edited:
HI Guys, I just bought a P42V20D last weekend and still going through setting it up etc. I need your help to confirm if it's time to go to war with the dealer based on the information below.

SRV-TOOL P42V20D | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In case image is not visible my values for usage hours shows
PTCT:00:00:00:00:00 | Time 00524:15 Count 0000218

Is this the actual hours count or do I need to divide by 256 as I read some where on the net?

I'll post more details once I sort this out.

Thats bad, hope your issue gets sorted out fast. I have not come across anyone else in this forum with a similar issue. Did the technician give a explanation as to why the board cloud have shorted out ?...

Keep us posted on the developments ...

P.S : Also let us know what type of sources are usually connected to the TV directly, just out of curiosity .... tks

He said it will be hard to zero in on the exact reason for failure. He said it may be due to a small duration surge on the power or signal inputs that may have damaged the board.

I have videcon d2h, ps3, laptop and wdtv live connected to the TV through HDMI. Also have the ethernet cable connected to the switch.

HI Guys, I just bought a P42V20D last weekend and still going through setting it up etc. I need your help to confirm if it's time to go to war with the dealer based on the information below.

SRV-TOOL P42V20D | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

In case image is not visible my values for usage hours shows
PTCT:00:00:00:00:00 | Time 00524:15 Count 0000218

Is this the actual hours count or do I need to divide by 256 as I read some where on the net?

I'll post more details once I sort this out.

Your TV definitely seems to be a used piece. When I got my new v20 in March the usage was like some 10 mins and the count was 2. You need to confornt the dealer and demand for a fresh piece.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back