Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Hi Guys,

This is my first post! Thanks to Hi-fi for having such a forum. It has been really useful to zero in on this plasma.
Is it true that 42V20 is now discontinued?
I am planning to buy 50V20. Can someone let me know what is the current price offered ? Is samsung 51D550 (New Model) comparable with 50V20?

Regards,
Raghu

despite being a 2010 model, the V20 is still one on the best 2D tv's you can get. It has been replaced with the VT, GT and ST series which I am not sure if they have been launched in India as yet. But even then the V20 rocks!!! cant compare it with samsung or any other plasma.you might want to go back a bit and check out the reviews for the V20 online, you will be very happy what you read.........all the best!!!

Has anyone tried connecting their HTPC to this set ?

Will an HTPC be better alternative to a media player for this set ?

Hi, I have just joined and maybe I'm really late but just wanted to check on your HTPC status. What did you finally decide? I have my imac hooked up to my 50V20 and the experience is awesome. I was using WD TV for a long time but no HD media player can work like a HTPC, it can substitute but cant replace.

Hi,
Yes ST30 and VT30 has been launched. I have a 42ST30 :)

HTpC is anyday better, but if you are looking at St30 (or Vt30), they have an excellent decoder built in for most of the files, including mkv containers and DIVX HD format.

Also, if you have a laptop, you can do remote play on the new models (MP3 streamed over wifi to TV, TV sending audio to my Onkyo, as I type this). You can remote play music , videos and photos in the same manner.

This is a beautiful thread on V20. I am very impressed with its PQ in the showroom and thinking to purchase one.

My use will be mainly Blu ray disc playing through BRP (Sony s370). Also, I have quite a number of .mkv HD download movies. If I purchase a HD media player to play those .mkv files and connect it with 42v20 through HDMI, will 42V20 work?

Please pardon me for my silly question.

just curious..............did you pick up any HD media player? I use the WD TV and works just perfect.

Hi,

I have purchased 42 V20 and after studying the manual the sound settings shows equalizer on pg no 25. But my tv settings do not show this .
Could anyone has the equalizer settings with 42 V20 model .

You can us the equalizer settings only in the custom mode.

PV20D | Onk 608 | Polk Tsi 400,100,cs20,dsw pro500.

Hi,
Also, if you have a laptop, you can do remote play on the new models (MP3 streamed over wifi to TV, TV sending audio to my Onkyo, as I type this). You can remote play music , videos and photos in the same manner.

Just curious you have an audio out from your tv to onkyo?

Nope, I use the Same HDMI to carry back audio from TV to Onkyo. This feature is called "Audio Return Channel".

ok,

I got a bit confused when you said "wifi to TV, TV sending audio to my Onkyo" I was wondering if that was wireless audio out.

So, just to be clear, you have the usual Tata Sky-HDMI-onkyo-HDMI-tv set up, right?

Last edited:
I am probably one of the last owners of the 50v20d. This has been a great thread from understanding the panel usage to the best settings. Unfortunately, I am unable to thank the older posts so thanking all including the OT.

Answers Interleaved

1) Is the panasonic v20 (2d) the best plasma out there beating other
plasmas in panny n other brands also.
The VT30 and the D8000 would be the reference class in 3d/2d for plasmas. Obviously, they are significantly more expensive.

There are no 42v20 available, only 50v20. For 42" go with 42st30.

2) Is it worth to buy 3d models? i understand 3d is not so big in india yet.
If you like 3d, it would be worth it. Do note, all the better panels from 2011 will probably be 3d built in, whether you like it or not.

3) Is plasma better over lcd/led. Do i hav to view washed out kinda images ?
Do generic a question, search the forum to get pros and cons.

4) Is 42" the apt size for my viewing distance.( i worry tat if i buy too big
sizes , i might end up viewing big images from closer distance)

5) Are there next series of models (2012) models released for v20? Anything
better than v20 so far?
In the current models, st30 will be very close to the v20, vt30 will be better but doesnt come in size 42.

6) i was told there is big price drop in V20 model. MRP 74K. But selling 54K.
Is this because this model is phased out/New model is going to come out?
If so when can we expect the next model? Should i wait?
It shouldnt matter to you as there is a three year warranty. What should matter is if the new features are useful to you or not.
7) Are you guys satisfied with V20 so far?
I will let others answer. I am a two day buyer (researcher for 6 months :)) and I am ecstatic till now, but its early.
8) After a year of usage of v20, is the black levels still deep? or are they
slightly faded?
9) If you have to go with a plasma now, which would you choose today ?
Thanks for your time and valuable advice.

One addition to the reply above: the 42" is available in select stores. Croma in Mumbai has stock of that but not the 50" V20.

despite being a 2010 model, the V20 is still one on the best 2D tv's you can get. It has been replaced with the VT, GT and ST series which I am not sure if they have been launched in India as yet. But even then the V20 rocks!!! cant compare it with samsung or any other plasma.you might want to go back a bit and check out the reviews for the V20 online, you will be very happy what you read.........all the best!!!

But then V20 is 2D and the VT,GT and ST are 3D models right ? Are there any models in 2D which are next level releases to V20 in 42". My perception so far is v20 in 42" is the best plasma. I donno if there are any newer models released or yet to be released. Or should i go for v20 available in the stores?
Are there any 2011 manufactured pieces of v20 ? I am luking for FBr issue being fixed with this.

Answers Interleaved

Thanks for your answers

I still see 42" v20 available in the stores nearby my place.
So i was wondering should i pick it up or should i be buying newer ones.
Is the 42st30 series have better pq than the v20 ? am not looking for minor upgrades. am luking for PQ, black levels, viewing experience. Have these got better in newer models compared to v20 ?

Thanks

I had a close friend of mine, who was looking for a 42 inch, did a lot of RND for over a year. I insisted him to go only for v20, since was I was using it for few months then. He went on Contemplating to check the performance.

Now after a lot of Drama, when he was convinced. V20 was far gone!!! from the market to replaced by similar ST30, No wild guess His RND started again. I wish him and others with a similar pursuit, all the best for the search. Let the Owner enjoy every paise spent on it.

Guys wait for my VT20 Thread, Im going to make.
The Best TV on the Planet.
& Congratz for all the V20 Owners, U shud be proud... The Best ever image quality I have ever seen in this HD Era!

Guys wait for my VT20 Thread, Im going to make.
The Best TV on the Planet.
& Congratz for all the V20 Owners, U shud be proud... The Best ever image quality I have ever seen in this HD Era!

will vt20/v20 be beating st30 also in 42" size.

will vt20/v20 be beating st30 also in 42" size.
The st30 would have better 3d rendering than the vt20.
The st30 would probably have lower issues with floating blacks than v20.
The v20 and vt20 have professional modes which let you calibrate your screens for better colours and grayscales.

Re: 1400VA inverter for P50V20D?

Guys,

Can a 1400VA Sukam Inverter support P50V20D? The TV power rating is 415 Watts. I got diverse feedback at devi international. The place where we reside is prone to frequent powercuts and i would not like the TV to be damaged or the viewing experience eroded coz of these outages.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back