Panasonic V20 Owners Thread (Settings, Problems, Impressions, Questions)

Guys wait for my VT20 Thread, Im going to make.
The Best TV on the Planet.
& Congratz for all the V20 Owners, U shud be proud... The Best ever image quality I have ever seen in this HD Era!

AMEN to that!!!..............if only other people realize it also!!!

If you have both options available, go for TX P42V20 as it has infinite black PRO pannel..
yes it produces better blacks theoretically (as no-one would get a chance to compare both side by side in india)
again TX model has THX cerification, asian model doesn't have..
so choice is very much clear I suppose...

I got a chance to see the V20 and ST30 side by side today in reliance digital hyderabad.
The infinite black pro is noticeable better in producing black in bright light. But, contrary to reports that V30 has increased brightness, the V20 seemed little bit brighter in neutral settings. It could be very well due to the darker filter.
V20 won in presenting details and more shadow details though when viewed carefully.

If they cost same and if the home condition is as bright as a showroom, I would select the ST in place of V even it did not have the 3D.

I wonder what V20 with the pro filter will look like in bright light.. The VT20 demo was in controlled lighting last year. This is the first time I see the pro filter in bright light and am mighty impressed.

Got 50VT20 delivered today along with Onkyo HT3400 and Samsung Blueray player. I have been silent reader of the forum. Thanks a lot for everyone's input. Couple of beginners queries..

1. Do i have to do worry about burn in? I am kind of thinking with technology these days it should be fine as is? Have already seen 3 Idiot Blueray with black bar on top and bottom!!
2. Initial calibration setting basics? I am thinking to reduce the brightness and contrast to about 50 or less.
3. What would be the recommended connection /cables b/w TV, Blueray, Onkyo and HD DTH.

Got 50VT20 delivered today along with Onkyo HT3400 and Samsung Blueray player. I have been silent reader of the forum. Thanks a lot for everyone's input. Couple of beginners queries..

1. Do i have to do worry about burn in? I am kind of thinking with technology these days it should be fine as is? Have already seen 3 Idiot Blueray with black bar on top and bottom!!
2. Initial calibration setting basics? I am thinking to reduce the brightness and contrast to about 50 or less.
3. What would be the recommended connection /cables b/w TV, Blueray, Onkyo and HD DTH.

Dont worry about burn-in. Dont watch black-bar stuff for the first 2 months.
HD channels should help. They dont have black bars.
Keep all setting around 0. (-50 to 50 scale).

I got a chance to see the V20 and ST30 side by side today in reliance digital hyderabad.
The infinite black pro is noticeable better in producing black in bright light. But, contrary to reports that V30 has increased brightness, the V20 seemed little bit brighter in neutral settings. It could be very well due to the darker filter.
V20 won in presenting details and more shadow details though when viewed carefully.

If they cost same and if the home condition is as bright as a showroom, I would select the ST in place of V even it did not have the 3D.

I wonder what V20 with the pro filter will look like in bright light.. The VT20 demo was in controlled lighting last year. This is the first time I see the pro filter in bright light and am mighty impressed.
please explain...
you will select st30 even if v20 is better???

yesterday watched 3 idiots blu ray(full 40 GB) in zoom mode with moderate settings in True cinema mode and it was excellent..
even 8-10 GB rips of Gladiator and Inception looked good but this was awesome...perfect colours..

please explain...
you will select st30 even if v20 is better???

I wasn't saying that.
I meant, if the lighting in my viewing room is same as the lighting in the showroom and if they bosth cost the same, I would buy the ST30.
The ST30 was able to produce deeper blacks but V20 was brighter.
From farther and farther away, it was very evident.
My viewing room is not as bright as a showroom to warrent trading colour accuracy/fine details for increased black level. So would still go with V20.
But there are people with very bright living rooms who should prefer the St30 instead.

The official one costs around 4-5k; it appears there is a netgear version which will also work which is cheaper. It costs around 30 gbp in amazon uk. I didnt buy it as I couldnt know for sure if it will work with our model.

1) If you are serious about streaming / DLNA related activites, I highly recommend that you get a physical wired connection to your router/switch and that your router has a direct wired connection to the system that will be serving the content.

2) Wi-Fi will only be good enough to do Youtube and videos where you will downscale the content severly. You won't be able to use Wi-Fi for more serious HD video watching.

3) The Netgear WNCE2001 is a very simple Universal Wireless Adapter that will work with any device that has a simple Ethernet port. It features Wireless-N technology that will definitely be faster than traditional b/g networks and should be faster compared to any Wi-Fi dongle that Panasonic will sell you (for an outrageous price, mind you).

Us a wired connection, and choose auto for easier config. There are very few files that the dlna plays. I think only mpeg2 if i remember right. Its good for youtube and such but not for movies/music.

ok than nothing much to expect from DLNA..thanks for the reply..
we need media player for movies for sure..
and I will try auto mode..

DLNA is actually very powerful if you know how to use it.

What can you do with DLNA?
First off you can access all the video, audio and photo content right off your computer.

What is the benefit of using DLNA?
You don't really have to make multiple copies of your data (movies, photos, music). Normally people have the same content replicated on multiple drives. You don't have to do that anymore. You can have all your media present on your computer and access it from any device that is DLNA compliant.

How do I access the content on my computer through my DLNA compliant TV?
1) Simple, first you need a DLNA server. A great DLNA server that I personally use and recommend is the PS3 Media Server. Install it on your computer using the link provided.
2) During initial run / setup, you might be prompted to allow PS3 Media Server access through your firewall. If so, allow it access.
3) Once you have installed it, use the options / settings menu and select which ever drives you would like your TV to access.
4) Configure your TV with the correct network information (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS (optional))
5) You are done! Now just goto the "Media Server" source on your TV and you should be able to see "PS3 Media Server" in the list.
6) Select it and browse through your content and play any file that you like.

For complete compatibility with all files you might have to install additional codecs. I recommend installing any of the Codec Packs from here. My personal favorite is the K-Lite Codec Pack.

NOTE
Keep in mind that the VT20 (and probably the V20) does not give you access to Zoom / other Aspect Ratio Settings while using the "Media Server Source". Just in case you happen to watch a cinemascope movie (Aspect Ration 2.35:1) you will not be able to zoom out the black bars.

Last edited:
After the new firmware upgrade Youtube is not working. Does anyone faced this issue.

Somebody else mentioned this in the VT20 Owner's Thread. However I have no problem with this.

Please recheck your DNS Settings on the TV and make sure to use the Test Connection option in the Network Submenu.

1) If you are serious about streaming / DLNA related activites, I highly recommend that you get a physical wired connection to your router/switch and that your router has a direct wired connection to the system that will be serving the content.

2) Wi-Fi will only be good enough to do Youtube and videos where you will downscale the content severly. You won't be able to use Wi-Fi for more serious HD video watching.

3) The Netgear WNCE2001 is a very simple Universal Wireless Adapter that will work with any device that has a simple Ethernet port. It features Wireless-N technology that will definitely be faster than traditional b/g networks and should be faster compared to any Wi-Fi dongle that Panasonic will sell you (for an outrageous price, mind you).

DLNA is actually very powerful if you know how to use it.

What can you do with DLNA?
First off you can access all the video, audio and photo content right off your computer.

What is the benefit of using DLNA?
You don't really have to make multiple copies of your data (movies, photos, music). Normally people have the same content replicated on multiple drives. You don't have to do that anymore. You can have all your media present on your computer and access it from any device that is DLNA compliant.

How do I access the content on my computer through my DLNA compliant TV?
1) Simple, first you need a DLNA server. A great DLNA server that I personally use and recommend is the PS3 Media Server. Install it on your computer using the link provided.
2) During initial run / setup, you might be prompted to allow PS3 Media Server access through your firewall. If so, allow it access.
3) Once you have installed it, use the options / settings menu and select which ever drives you would like your TV to access.
4) Configure your TV with the correct network information (IP Address, Subnet Mask, Gateway and DNS (optional))
5) You are done! Now just goto the "Media Server" source on your TV and you should be able to see "PS3 Media Server" in the list.
6) Select it and browse through your content and play any file that you like.

For complete compatibility with all files you might have to install additional codecs. I recommend installing any of the Codec Packs from here. My personal favorite is the K-Lite Codec Pack.

NOTE
Keep in mind that the VT20 (and probably the V20) does not give you access to Zoom / other Aspect Ratio Settings while using the "Media Server Source". Just in case you happen to watch a cinemascope movie (Aspect Ration 2.35:1) you will not be able to zoom out the black bars.
Thanks for this info..few questions though..
1.Will I need dLNA in my laptop?
2.how to connect laptop to tv?via wifi or wire?if wire than how with laptop?which output?
3.I have already installed k lite codec pack for windows media player.will thir suffice?
4. Will it play videos directly through DLNA? HD or only SD?
I Am asking you all this because if this can be done,I won't need media player!!..

1) PS3 Media Server (PMS) is a DLNA server. That's a beauty of a computer. If it doesn't have a feature, you can just dowload it ;)

2) Since HD videos are a matter of high bandwidth, I suggest connecting your computer to the TV via a CAT5 cable. You can either connect it directly to the TV itself or connect it to the TV via a wireless router with a switch.

3) Yes, it's a same K-Lite Codec Pack. Since you have already installed it, there is no need to install it again.

4) It will play anything (any format) that you throw at it as long as you have the codecs on your computer (which you do). Basically, if the TV does not natively support the format of video you are trying to play, the DLNA server (PMS) wil transcode it (covert it) to a format that the TV can play and stream it across your LAN network.

Hi Satan

Is it possible to give more details on the "media server" settings?
I installed the server, but it is just stuck at "searching for renderers" screen

Thanks again.. I am very close to the climax.. I think this is very good and cheap alternative to media player..few small queries..
1.through which port of laptop I can take output to tv for wired connection?
2.if I can't zoom in media server(most probably) than is there any alternative?(because without zoom it will look too small.)

Hi Satan

Is it possible to give more details on the "media server" settings?
I installed the server, but it is just stuck at "searching for renderers" screen

1) Make sure you're TV is on the same local network as your computer
2) Configure the TV networking settings with the appropriate network settings

For example:

Wireless Router
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0

Computer
IP: 192.168.1.2
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

TV
IP: 192.168.1.3
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 192.168.1.1

If you are doing a direct PC to TV connection via a Cat5 cable, then do as follows

Computer
IP: 192.168.2.1

TV
IP: 192.168.2.2
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS: 192.168.2.1

1.through which port of laptop I can take output to tv for wired connection?
2.if I can't zoom in media server(most probably) than is there any alternative?(because without zoom it will look too small.)

Naimesh, I get the feeling that you are of the impression that this is like connecting a VGA or HDMI cable to your TV and Computer. It is not. You are not outputting raw video here. This is simple networking where your TV acts like another client on a LAN accessing information directly on your computer.

You need to connect a CAT5 (Ethernet) Cable to the Ethernet port on your computer and connect the other end to the TV and do as I have outlined above.

I think we might need a new thread for this if we are going to continue on this subject.

Regarding your 2nd question, no I'm sorry, but that limitation is imposed by the TV and there is no way around it, unless you use another device to stream videos off your computer like a PS3.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back