ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Would be interesting to see how HD/SD looks on this TV from various distances...

Last edited:
I took the pics with shutter priority setting. Used a pile of books substituting for a tripod.

Buddy, guess you missed my earlier post, so pasting it here again:

Hi just4kix, congrats on the purchase! It's a great buy, I got the same one 2 weeks back, am loving the experience! I have two queries though, I am hearing about this offer on plasmas from Panasonic here. When did this offer start? Am I eligible for it?
Secondly, and more importantly, I'm seeing small floating, mostly green dots on my screen in the dark areas when I examine it from very close distance(1/2-1 foot distance). They are only present in the dark areas and the bright portions of the screen are fine. When I researched online, I got to know that its a common phenomenon on plasmas and is known as dithering. But I just wanted to confirm from fellow plasma owners, specifically this model, if they are also experiencing the same thing.

Pls enligthen me, I am starting to get worried that I might have got a sub standard panel..!
Thanx
Abhishek

Basically he is cautioning about watching stuff with black bars whether up and down or on the sides. So as long as one is watching DTH or cable tv one should be fine. He does not talk abt setting low contrast..etc

plus he is saying that new tvs take care of most of these things and hence even if we dont do anything..so not necessarily a risk

My friend noticed Image retention which was quite difficult to remove in his new GT50. This happened when he watched Star World HD in 'THX bright room' mode.

THX modes will switch off the 'pixel orbiter' and the static channel logo had led to IR

Would be interesting to see how HD/SD looks on this TV from various distances...

Yes do let us know how SD (from a DTH box) would look like .Because 95% of the time I intend to use it as normal TV .

I already mentioned this in my review. The SD is not fantastic to watch as much as HD. This is in expected line of behaviour. When we get used to watching HD, SD looks just plain lousy. But looking into isolation, SD is OK.

The closer you are to the TV is, the worse it appears. If you are nearly 12 feet away then SD starts looking OK. Basically at longer distances, SD artificats become less visible. And the smaller the TV size, the less will be the observed defects. If SD matters a lot, I will suggest a 42" size.

-------

At note of Panasonic 3D glasses: the glasses supplied are not rechargeable glasses. They are powered by a button cell. This is good and bad. The good is that, unlike rechargeable cell that will eventually die out (after 500+ charges), the cell in this goggle can be replaced. The bad part is that you will need to replace it from time to time. As yet, I do not have any idea on the cell life.

The 3D glasses are universal in nature and hence any cheaper universal glasses will work with the TV (at least in theory). Manual says buy "Panasonic" only - that is so typical.

I already mentioned this in my review. The SD is not fantastic to watch as much as HD. This is in expected line of behaviour. When we get used to watching HD, SD looks just plain lousy. But looking into isolation, SD is OK.

The closer you are to the TV is, the worse it appears. If you are nearly 12 feet away then SD starts looking OK. Basically at longer distances, SD artificats become less visible. And the smaller the TV size, the less will be the observed defects. If SD matters a lot, I will suggest a 42" size.

SD will matter a lot for now since most of the channels are not yet HD however the situation will change in 2 years... rather than 42" plasma, would it not be logical to go for 46/47" LED instead for better SD viewing unless its only a size issue and not plasma thing?

BTW waiting for more pictures especially of SD on this mean machine :)

SD will matter a lot for now since most of the channels are not yet HD however the situation will change in 2 years... rather than 42" plasma, would it not be logical to go for 46/47" LED instead for better SD viewing unless its only a size issue and not plasma thing?

BTW waiting for more pictures especially of SD on this mean machine :)
I have said quite a few times - as per "my humble opinion", LED is better for cable/DTH. I went for plasma because I watch a lot of movies. More than 60% of my watching will be movies.

Besides, I have two (multi) TV connections at home. I also have a BPL 21" and Sony 29" CRT. Both are in excellent condition. In fact the BPL TV was purchased in 1992 and its PQ/black level/contrast/etc. is better than the Sony 29" purchased in 2005 or so (and this is not just related to smaller size of the BPL). I may get rid of one of the two. But once CRT will remain. We can watch SD on the CRT.

I will post SD pictures over the weekend. But photographs will never present the true picture - good or bad. I took the movie picture by pausing the frame and using slow shutter speed. This technique will not work with normal TV as pic is constantly moving.

But seriously. You should get the SD vs HD doubt cleared in your mind before buying any TV. CRT is best for SD.

I have said quite a few times - as per "my humble opinion", LED is better for cable/DTH. I went for plasma because I watch a lot of movies. More than 60% of my watching will be movies.

Besides, I have two (multi) TV connections at home. I also have a BPL 21" and Sony 29" CRT. Both are in excellent condition. In fact the BPL TV was purchased in 1992 and its PQ/black level/contrast/etc. is better than the Sony 29" purchased in 2005 or so (and this is not just related to smaller size of the BPL). I may get rid of one of the two. But once CRT will remain. We can watch SD on the CRT.

I will post SD pictures over the weekend. But photographs will never present the true picture - good or bad. I took the movie picture by pausing the frame and using slow shutter speed. This technique will not work with normal TV as pic is constantly moving.

But seriously. You should get the SD vs HD doubt cleared in your mind before buying any TV. CRT is best for SD.

Thanks again bro - you have been of gr8 help.

I have 2 CRTs (21 & 29) too and a 32" LCD in master bedroom (on corner stand) that will be replaced by this new big screen TV (50" Plasma/46-47" LED) wall mounted. We will continue to use it for usual TV viewing (SD+HD channels for news, GEC, music, movies, sports) with occasional movies using USB/HDD etc...

I was planning to shift 32" to my other house in another city where my bedroom has 29" CRT and bring that CRT here.. :clapping:

Too many combinations have confused me like hell - plasma vs LED, HD vs FHD, 3D/Smart, Brands (Panasonic/Sony/LG/Samsung), Models (XT/UT...), Offers... :mad:

I didnt know that buying TV will become such a pain...:sad:

I would suggest take some stuff that you watch to a showroom and judge for yourself. Also do walk around the TVs so that you get all angles and also distances from TV. If 80% of what you watch is cable/dth then I guess LED makes sense. Also when you compare LCd and a plasma at a showroom also check their settings. An LCD at 50% settings will be as bright as a Plasma with 80% settings. so do ur homework. But one thing end of the day after a week of getting ur tv home..you will get used to what you have ...good or bad

Buddy, guess you missed my earlier post, so pasting it here again:

Hi just4kix, congrats on the purchase! It's a great buy, I got the same one 2 weeks back, am loving the experience! I have two queries though, I am hearing about this offer on plasmas from Panasonic here. When did this offer start? Am I eligible for it?
Secondly, and more importantly, I'm seeing small floating, mostly green dots on my screen in the dark areas when I examine it from very close distance(1/2-1 foot distance). They are only present in the dark areas and the bright portions of the screen are fine. When I researched online, I got to know that its a common phenomenon on plasmas and is known as dithering. But I just wanted to confirm from fellow plasma owners, specifically this model, if they are also experiencing the same thing.

Pls enligthen me, I am starting to get worried that I might have got a sub standard panel..!
Thanx
Abhishek

Apologies. I was offline for nearly the whole day and then logged in via Samsung Galaxy SII via Tapatalk. The long and short of it, Tapatalk shows last posts by default. So here goes ...
  1. Free HT Offer: I was hunting for quite some time for large screen TV and visited many showrooms including Vijay Sales, Reliance Digital, Croma, LG, Panasonic, and Samsung. I was interested mostly in Plasma and hence did not visit Sony. The long and short of it, Panasonic showroom on Baner Road (closer to my home or better accessible due to wider roads) did not mention any offer. After 3 or 4 days, I visited the other shop that is located in the heart of old city (narrow congested roads). The guy over there mentioned the free gift. So perhaps the offer was introduced just then. But you should check with your dealer whether you qualify or not. My guess is that Panasonic brought in that offer after Samsung advertised the free 3d-BDP offer.

Since the offer is not published anywhere, there are no confirmed details about it, the T&C, validity period, etc.
  2. I do not think that you should worry about the green dots. If I go close to my TV (8" or so), I can see lots of grain of various colours. I will check whether I can see these green spots that you mention.

Thanx for the clarity mate! I have been worried abt it since I saw them and you know how it is, after you notice something you are always distracted instead of enjoying the great pictures on this beast!

And I'm yet to experience the blu ray quality on it since I don't currently have a bd player....will keep sharing my experiences here..

My friend noticed Image retention which was quite difficult to remove in his new GT50. This happened when he watched Star World HD in 'THX bright room' mode.

THX modes will switch off the 'pixel orbiter' and the static channel logo had led to IR

r u noticing instant IR in your GT50? nowadays it is very difficult to get permanent burn-in in plasma but it could still happen (remember burn-in is not covered under warranty) check out this plasma burn-in test Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

Thanx for the clarity mate! I have been worried abt it since I saw them and you know how it is, after you notice something you are always distracted instead of enjoying the great pictures on this beast!

And I'm yet to experience the blu ray quality on it since I don't currently have a bd player....will keep sharing my experiences here..

Please share your experience of this TV & plasma in general... is this your 1st Plasma ? What do you use it majorly for - general SD/HD viewing or mostly movies from DVD,USB etc... hows the experience and how will you compare it with LCDs/LEDs...

r u noticing instant IR in your GT50? nowadays it is very difficult to get permanent burn-in in plasma but it could still happen (remember burn-in is not covered under warranty) check out this plasma burn-in test Samsung plasma wins CNET's accidental burn-in test | TV and Home Theater - CNET Reviews

I didn't get any sort of IR, temporary or permanent. I never used THX modes during the first 100 hrs and kept contrast, brightness and sharpness at their default levels [50].

Re: Panasonic PxxST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Today I purchased Panasonic TH-P50ST50D. :yahoo:

I am starting this thread for ST50 owners but others can post as well.

Let us share the experience of this mid-top level baby.

I purchased this TV for Rs. 105,000 at Rajesh Trading Company (Pana Brand Shop) at Daruwala Pool, Pune. The sticker price was 115,900 and the dealer initially said 110K. After some negotiations and haggling, he dropped to 105K but would not budge more. The set comes with 2 3D Eyewear.

Initially I was thinking of the GT model and it was definitely one notch up but price was 18K or so more (sticker price 139,500). So decided not to be too loose on the wallet.

Panasonic is running a promotion on TVs - the dealer said that there will be a surprise gift worth 18K. The gift will be shipped directly to buyer after confirmation of purchase from Panasonic factory. Pune dealer was not saying what gift but as nishabfss said this will be a 5.1 DVD HT system (SC-XH170).

The TV was delivered today itself. :yahoo::yahoo: It will be installed tomorrow. Here are the pics:

P50ST50D-1.jpg

P50ST50D-2.jpg

P50ST50D-3.jpg

P50ST50D-Inv.jpg

Bought XT50..however box only has cello tape on it...It is normal...
Also I got TY-Er3d4MW...With it..

Date of Import is not given on my box...Matter of concern?? My Sony & LG LCD both had it...

My box also did not have a date of import. I was more concerned about the usage hours, being a demo piece, etc.; same as you should be.

Mine was a fresh piece.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Congrats just4kix! I too am looking to buy the 50ST50. Went to the same dealer and got the same quote. However i met my cousin today and he mentioned that he is calling for 3 Tvs (LEDs) from Dubai and even after paying for transportation and customs it works out cheaper than the prices here. Just got me thinking should it ask him to get one for me too. Ive asked him to fin out what the final price would be including transport n customs etc which i will know by tomorrow.

But is there any difference in the same model from dubai than the indian one?

Re: Panasonic PxxST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Bought XT50..however box only has cello tape on it...It is normal...
Also I got TY-Er3d4MW...With it..

hey ,
i am sorry but i didnt understand what u mean by TY-Er3d4M. Please let me know

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back