ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Updates after one week

The TV has been running for almost a week now. I may be able to add some personal observations at this point.

Picture Settings:
Picture settings are very personal in nature. My wife for instance prefers the neutral tones of the "natural" setting - even when watching movies on BD. I prefer the "Cinema" mode, especially while watching movies. I felt that the "True Cinema" adds too much yellowish tinge to the whole picture. Apparently the engineers at Panasonic feel that, that is the correct colour and contrast setting for having the real cinema like experience.

As stated in my previous post, the contrast for all settings was 50 except for "Dynamic" where it was 100. I reduced the contrast for each setting to 30~35 during the break-in period. After that, I shall reset the factory setting and then tune each setting to our liking. I have adjusted the sharpness to +3 in "Normal" mode so that now SD picture appears sharper than before.

I do not have any recommendation here and would ask everyone to fiddle around with contrast, colour, sharpness, etc., till you arrive at a setting that you prefer most. The ST50 also gives control over gamma and other such aspects but I am a novice at that and did not touch those. My wife and I were unanimous on the "Dynamic" mode - we did not like it at all.

Aspect Ratio Settings:
There are no tweaks possible here. The ST50 offers 16:9, 14:9, 4:3, Just, Zoom1, Zoom2 and Zoom3. The "Just" setting works well universally but because I wish to avoid letterbox bars at top and bottom during the breakin period, I am using one of the appropriate Zoom ratios. The Zoom makes the picture too large for the liking but I guess I will have to live with that for another 60 hours or so (as of date). I recommend Zoom setting for all plasma owners during breakin period.

Sound Settings:
The sound of this TV is very unimpressive and disappointing. I was not expecting a lot and knew the drawbacks of the tiny speakers of a typical flat panel. But this was worse that expected. I have to raise the volume to 35 so that dialogues are better audible. I have turned off all surround sound effects - they make the whole sound more attrocious. I am not going to use this TV in my HT room and I am comtemplating whether a decent sound bar will be a good investment.

Reflections and the role of "Infinite Black Pro Filter":
Before buying the TV, I was quite worried on this aspect mainly. I did not want to end up with a new mirror. I am happy to report that because of the infinite black pro filter in the ST50, the reflections are minimal and quite tolerable. My large window is 90 to the TV and when I pull the drapes across, the hall light during day can be reduced to a huge extent; in fact it appears like late evening in the hall when this is done. This makes the TV viewing very pleasureable. The infinite black pro filter reduces the brightness of the TV, increases black levels and this works very well for me.

50" Size:
After a week, I am wondering whether 50" is too big. Because after extended viewing (3+ hours continuous), my eyes feel fatigued.Or maybe, I am not used to it as yet. Currently, I am forced to rethink that perhaps this size TV is better for 10'+ viewing distance.

X-Factor:
As stated in my earlier post, when some friends came home last Saturday, they were simply blown away. I had to send a NASA rocket to collect them back from earthly orbit.

Cool review just4kix. I'm still debating 42 or 50 (ST50 of course). Can't decide. My viewing distance is usually about 8 feet but since I sit on a bean bag I can move back as well. Only thing I'm concerned about is the SD content - a 50 might be too big for SD content and I might have to sit pretty far back. Currently have a 21" 10+ year old TV and analog cable so I'm thinking that a 50 might not be able to handle the crappy content dished out by the analog cable. Might have to get a digital set top box or a DTH (wife does not want a dish antenna sticking out of the balcony).

@kartik, I have some opinion on that (analogue cable). I shall post from my laptop later. Too long and cumbersome to post via Mobile phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Analog cable is a really bad option. A digital set top box is essential to complement your TV. SD from a set top box is watchable on my 46 inch LED however once you start watching HD SD appears unbearable. It is not just the lesser resolution it is the different aspect ratio too which distorts images.

congratulations...........excellent choice!!!

sir
please suggest
wish to set up an HTS
range 60k
yamaha/onkyo/pioneer/your choice
Please Please Please
i am a new user to this site as well as to music
big b favor me with your valuable suggestions
waiting..........:)

The answer will depend on whether you need an avr or avr plus speakers.

In case you want an AVR alone:

For musical avr go for marantz or arcam. For home theatre Yamaha, onkyo or denon. Give them a listen with your speakers.

In case you want AVR plus speakers:

If you want 5.1 speakers too go for a q aqoustics 2020 speaker package or an onkyo speaker package with a budget avr from either Yamaha, onkyo or denon. Do give them a listen though before purchase.

Cool review just4kix. I'm still debating 42 or 50 (ST50 of course). Can't decide. My viewing distance is usually about 8 feet but since I sit on a bean bag I can move back as well. Only thing I'm concerned about is the SD content - a 50 might be too big for SD content and I might have to sit pretty far back. Currently have a 21" 10+ year old TV and analog cable so I'm thinking that a 50 might not be able to handle the crappy content dished out by the analog cable. Might have to get a digital set top box or a DTH (wife does not want a dish antenna sticking out of the balcony).

If you are watching a 21 inch CRT - maybe a jump to ST may be too big a leap. There are cheaper alternatives like XT50 which is half the price of the ST50. I live in Vijayanagar area and you are free to demo the TV at my house before you take a call.

If you are having analogue cable, it will be terrible idea to move to any flat screen TV - be it LCD or plasma. Traditional CRT TVs are equipped with a better tuner and AGC (automatic gain control). The CRT technology in itself is much more forgiving when it comes to poor signal quality. We all know that traditional analogue cable in India has 25-40% of good channels (i.e., with good signal quality) and the rest are poor and all crammed into the UHF band.

Flat panel LCD/LED and plasma TVs expect a good quality signal. If you connect the analogue cable to any flat panel TV, quality of "bad" channels will be so bad that it will be impossible to watch. Some may not even display at all.

Digital cable or DTH is a must for such TVs. Your cable operator may not have gone digital as yet. If he has, then it is good news - switch to digital cable with STB before buying plasma TV. But DTH is a better option because then you are not dependent on the vagaries and idiosyncratic behaviour of the operator.

If your wife is averse to installing a dish in the balcony, it can always be installed on the rooftop/terrace.

Re: Updates after one week

The ST50 Remote:
The ST50 remote looks very much like any other Panasonic TV remote. The top order has the traditional controls such as On/Off, various input modes, 3D switching, etc. The middle order has the menu and navigation buttons, four coloured buttons that have special functions in various menus, etc. The lower middle order has the volume +/-, channel +/- and number keys. The bottom order has various play buttons that will work with a Panasonic DVD or BD player/system.

The ST50 remote has a back-light button. Pressing this button lights up all buttons except the bottom order (play) buttons and the "Viera Connect" button (which is green opaque). This is a nice feature because plasma TV is often watched in dark and low-lit conditions. The back light is orange in colour which is a slight turn-off. I would have preferred it to be white instead.

The remote buttons require extra push to work. This is good and bad. It means that you will not accidentally push any button by mistake. It also means that nails will dig in into the plastic and may cause craters on the surface.

Tip: Do not yield the control of the remote to your wife. She controls you otherwise too. :lol: :lol:

The remote has very shiny surface and will be prone to smudges/fingerprints. I have left the plastic sticker still on the remote to avoid this.

The remote is good and functional - a little too large but that is OK.

Main differences between GT50, ST50, UT50 and XT50

Thought that this comparison may be useful to many...

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just got my Pana 42ST50 this past Sunday and installed on Monday. I've posted prices, etc in the 'Price' Thread. Am quite happy with the deal(82,500) and service from the Pana showroom on Dickenson Rd.
See Price Thread

First impressions:
Checked the Service Menu ~1.5hrs/4 turn ons. Picture is amazing! Reduced/turned off a few of the settings for the initial break in. I used a few threads from this forum and HDTVTest

Ran for a bunch of hours today with some full-frame content. I want to get to 100hrs fast ;)

I'm actually only hooked up to a HT setup as a source for now. So no HD or SD source TV for now. I'm using a MacMini(Late2009) as my primary source. Works great! Only issue is that my version doesn't carry sound over the HDMI cable, so I needed to use the AV2 Analog inputs (2010 onwards changed this). Getting that to work took some time -- while it's clearly marked on the back, I couldn't seem to enable it. Silly me -- this can be changed in the 'Menu->Sound' settings quite easily. Some TV's just disable and don't allow you to switch only the source/sound from a digital input to an analog one. Getting that to work was my big hurdle.

Source wise, I've been sampling lots of 1080p/720p content. Looks absolutely amazing. Been playing with FrontRow, Plex, QT, VLC to access the content.

3D is awesome! I have downloaded about 5 movies and have been sporadically :)30 min at one stretch) watching bits to get an idea how it works. I changed the setting to automatically switch the screen to 3D instead of prompting -- takes some of the delay and confusion out of the process. Other than that, the image is great and I've experience no eye fatigue with :30 of watching.

This forum has been a real help in both narrowing down my choice to the ST50 and also tweaking it.

Thanks!

Analog cable is a really bad option. A digital set top box is essential to complement your TV. SD from a set top box is watchable on my 46 inch LED however once you start watching HD SD appears unbearable. It is not just the lesser resolution it is the different aspect ratio too which distorts images.

Yes, that's true of course. A digital TV needs a digital source.

If you are having analogue cable, it will be terrible idea to move to any flat screen TV - be it LCD or plasma. Traditional CRT TVs are equipped with a better tuner and AGC (automatic gain control). The CRT technology in itself is much more forgiving when it comes to poor signal quality. We all know that traditional analogue cable in India has 25-40% of good channels (i.e., with good signal quality) and the rest are poor and all crammed into the UHF band.

Flat panel LCD/LED and plasma TVs expect a good quality signal. If you connect the analogue cable to any flat panel TV, quality of "bad" channels will be so bad that it will be impossible to watch. Some may not even display at all.

Digital cable or DTH is a must for such TVs. Your cable operator may not have gone digital as yet. If he has, then it is good news - switch to digital cable with STB before buying plasma TV. But DTH is a better option because then you are not dependent on the vagaries and idiosyncratic behaviour of the operator.

If your wife is averse to installing a dish in the balcony, it can always be installed on the rooftop/terrace.

The easiest thing seems to be to get a digital set top box for digital cable. Just a thousand bucks will do the trick. For DTH would need to go for Tata Sky as my apartment complex has a master dish antenna on the terrace and I can get internal wiring option via existing jack - that's tempting but MPEG2 and less number of HD channels is not.

If you are watching a 21 inch CRT - maybe a jump to ST may be too big a leap. There are cheaper alternatives like XT50 which is half the price of the ST50. I live in Vijayanagar area and you are free to demo the TV at my house before you take a call.

Thanks for the kind offer. I have been researching Panasonic plasmas for long. Gave up on the V20 due to fluctuating brightness and black level rising issue. Gave up on the ST30 due to some other issues. Finally hope to take the plunge with the ST50 if I can digest the cost (can afford it but need to justify the inflated prices set by Panasonic India).

@miniwarmth, heartiest congratulations. Do post some pictures too.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Re: Main differences between GT50, ST50, UT50 and XT50

Thought that this comparison may be useful to many...

Here is the more comprehensive quick reference guide ... I had created it for my own purposes; thought I should share...

Last edited:
Thanks for the comparison. Did you download the PDF or you put it together yourself from various sources? for 3D glasses for XT50 it says no but given by and then blank...so wondering..given by whom..maybe I can ask them. Thx

Thanks for the comparison. Did you download the PDF or you put it together yourself from various sources? for 3D glasses for XT50 it says no but given by and then blank...so wondering..given by whom..maybe I can ask them. Thx
My own compilation with data supplied by Panasonic India website.

Congrats. Once you are done tweaking your TV may be you can have a look at my TV and teach me a thing or two. I got a XT50

That's a stretch with this group.

However, I'm quite keen on calibrating this set to its fullest potential. I'm surprised that most shops that I've visited think that calibration means leaving the set at factory settings or resetting them to default. Seems like a business opportunity ;) Are there any good Calibration Professionals in Bangalore?

Anyway, knowing full well my set needs to get to ~100 hours before I can properly calibrate it, I decided to see how the default settings of Cinema True looked with some test images from a THX Calibration disk. I was surprised with the 'Brightness' test - i can only see 4 of the gradients. Let's hope that the set get darker as it breaks in.

Also, has anyone purchased add'l sets of non-Pana active 3D Glasses for an ST50 in Bangalore? If so please share brand and prices. Thanks!

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back