ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Done that already, switched the two (both ARC compatible) cables I have and still no luck...

Last edited:
Okay, so the problem was fixed when I reset the HT to factory defaults...dunno what setting changed but going through settings 10s of times without doing a complete factory reset didn't work.

For any future reference, adding the steps for the HT factory reset for Panasonic HT system (SC-XH170):

Reset all the settings to Factory Preset.
While DVD/CD is the source and there is no disc inserted, press and
hold [< OPEN/CLOSE]2 on the main unit and [S10]2 on the remote
control until RESET appears on the main units display. Turn the unit off
and on again.
All settings will return to the default values.

Plasma TV and the high power consumption argument

It has been often argued over threads that:
  • Plasma TV will bloat your power bill. Sensationalist claims were/are as high as "at least twice" your existing units.
  • TV will heat up your room. Once again some people (like typical doomsday predictors) said that you will end up sitting in a furnace.
  • Because of heat, you will end up using AC more often and further adding to the power bill.

I have been carefully monitoring my power consumption since the day the plasma TV was purchased and installed. The TV usage started from 25-July-2012. The power usage pattern has been very revealing. But here is an actual download from the MAHADISCOM website (power distribution company in MH state):

ElecBill01_zps928c8e2a.png

A careful analysis shows the following:
  • The 50" plasma TV replaced the 21" CRT.
  • Power consumption has more or less remained the same during the same period over the last year; actually, in fact it reduced a little by some 20 units.
  • While the TV does generate some heat, it is not enough to cook rice. Heat (lukewarm) is felt only when standing 6" close to the TV.
  • During the last five months or so, there was not a single day when AC was required. It will be required in Summer but for entirely different reason.
So much for the "high power usage" and "not going green" outcry.
This month, the consumption was 120 units.

My brother is using my Sammy led 46 inch after I got myself,the st50.
He is complaining that his current bill has bloated!;)
My current bill charges are reduced after I started using ST50.:yahoo:

Strange but TRUE.
Let the myth not come in the way of choosing the right TVs.

Bought this TV a day before diwali under some offer. Got it for 91.5 K:yahoo: And I got two 3D glasses+ 1 panasonic printer free as diwali offer.

I am super happy with the TV. burn in period is over and playing with calibrating my TV. I have connected XBOX to it and playing NFS 2012. Its beautiful on this bigger screen!!! Got Videocon HD few days ago(had a local cable before and was waiting for burn in period to get over) and I get 22 HD channels including one 3D channel:eek:hyeah: Movies are excellent on this TV as it is explained before. Deep black levels blah blah... Its all there what has been explained previously on all the reviews. Manufacturing date Sept 2012!! My frnds still cant believe cos I got it for such a less price!!:D
After reading this thread, I will try samsung All share , had a doubt though and thanx to just4kix for clearing it up...
An amazing review buddy.. Thank you so much :)
I bet even a panasonic tech would not be able to answer all these questions and ur review has it all!!!:clapping:

I have a suggestion to enhance the quality of youtube watching from the TV.
Hitherto watched youtube with Picture mode as NORMAL.This was the default mode that the TV was switching to when I connected to youtube.

Accidentally I changed the mode to TRUE CINEMA today. The result was amazing. The pictures looked nearly 30% sharper I should say. Tons of new details are grabbing my attention. :yahoo:

Thanks.

Just quick question, how do I add subtitles to a 3D content?? I mean if I am playing a file through USB/HDD. I tried to merge using Filefactory, it wasnt displaying properly.. Has anybody tried by any chance?? i need it to play some of the .mkv and mp4 files.. Let me know if there any method!!!
Thanks in advance.

As a 50GT50 owner. The Power consumption from a plasma is variable from as low as 90W to 350W depending on the brightness of the content and calibration settings (more for dynamic and less for standard with lowered brightness). Mine hovers around 150W in THX cinema mode with Eco activated and 200-250W with Eco mode deactivated.

My plasma is connected to a APC 1200VA UPS which gives real time power usage.

As a 50GT50 owner. The Power consumption from a plasma is variable from as low as 90W to 350W depending on the brightness of the content and calibration settings (more for dynamic and less for standard with lowered brightness). Mine hovers around 150W in THX cinema mode with Eco activated and 200-250W with Eco mode deactivated.

My plasma is connected to a APC 1200VA UPS which gives real time power usage.

Good information.
You surely would have other devices connected to your UPS -e.g. STB, DVD/BD player, AV receiver, HT/ speakers, etc.

Is the 350W with some of these components powered on?

Also, please let me know the model number and price of the UPS since I am interested in a purchase in the near future.

The rest of the components on the UPS is use 19 w only. My 46 inch Led from Samsung consumes around 100W.

The 350w for the plasma is not constant. This draw is when the the panel is displaying bright content. Usually it hovers around 180 to 200w in the calibrated mode.

Hi,
I own Panasonic P50ST30D tv... and WDTV Live media player
wanted to buy 3TB external HDD for movies... will it compatible with this TV?

Hi,
I own Panasonic P50ST30D tv... and WDTV Live media player
wanted to buy 3TB external HDD for movies... will it compatible with this TV?

If you read/remember my first few review posts, I have said that HDD reading by the TV is very slow. It takes almost 10+ minutes to read my 2tb hdd. Everyone you switch back from media player to standard TV and back to media, it goes thru the 10+ minute cycle. It does not mater whether the hdd contains just one file or hundreds. You are better off with a media player or BDP.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

If you read/remember my first few review posts, I have said that HDD reading by the TV is very slow. It takes almost 10+ minutes to read my 2tb hdd. Everyone you switch back from media player to standard TV and back to media, it goes thru the 10+ minute cycle. It does not mater whether the hdd contains just one file or hundreds. You are better off with a media player or BDP.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

just4kix thx...
read somewhere on the net that you have to 1st create 1.5TB partitions then only TV can read only 1 partition. Is it true?

just4kix thx...
read somewhere on the net that you have to 1st create 1.5TB partitions then only TV can read only 1 partition. Is it true?
As far as I know, this is not true. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it is better to have a small size HDD connected directly to TV because TV takes a very long time to read the HDD. Read my first few posts in this thread.

As far as I know, this is not true. But I could be wrong. Anyway, it is better to have a small size HDD connected directly to TV because TV takes a very long time to read the HDD. Read my first few posts in this thread.

Bought 2tb expansion hdd yesterday....... Copied movies abt 20gb and hook to the tv.
Viola... Tv detected and read in 20 seconds..... Movies are played with ease.. No problem at all

Bought 2tb expansion hdd yesterday....... Copied movies abt 20gb and hook to the tv.
Viola... Tv detected and read in 20 seconds..... Movies are played with ease.. No problem at all
I am surprised and happy for you. In my case, the TV takes a very long time to read the HDD. I tried many options:

- removed all content other than movies from HDD
- put movies in root directory
- moved movies into separate folders
- added back all files and documents removed in step 1

The TV took the same time to read. As I deduced, the TV tries to read each and every file and checks whether it is media file and then after scanning thru the entire set of files, displays all the "playable" files. The TV displays all the files in a sequence and not by folder.

Perhaps, my firmware is old.

I am surprised and happy for you. In my case, the TV takes a very long time to read the HDD. I tried many options:

- removed all content other than movies from HDD
- put movies in root directory
- moved movies into separate folders
- added back all files and documents removed in step 1

The TV took the same time to read. As I deduced, the TV tries to read each and every file and checks whether it is media file and then after scanning thru the entire set of files, displays all the "playable" files. The TV displays all the files in a sequence and not by folder.

Perhaps, my firmware is old.

Try to connect hdd thru media player.......... I m using wd live media player

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back