ST50 Owners' Thread - First impressions, Reviews, Tweaks, etc.

Irrespective of Series , it is simply a panel lottery. Some VTs have developed bad IR while mine has none. (Touchwood)....:p

The lingering "Viera" logo - I have also seen it sometimes. That is not IR by any standard. It stays for one or two seconds at startup till the main video kicks in. In the absence of actual video feed, the circuit and setup that displays the Viera logo at startup does not completely shut off. It cannot be termed as IR by any means. It would be IR had the logo remained displayed for minutes and hours together.

The fact remains that ST50 and GT50 are one of the best TVs around. CNET has marked ST50 as the best all round TV of 2012 and this includes all TVs regardless of technology. They said that while VT50 has better PQ, the ST50 scores higher for sheer value for money. Here are liinks:

Best HDTV Overall
1. Best picture quality and value (Panasonic TC-PST50 series)

Best HDTV for PQ:
1. Best picture quality overall (Panasonic TC-PVT50 series)
2. Second-best picture quality, best for an LED (Sharp Elite PRO-X5FD series)
3a. Third-best picture quality (tie) (Panasonic TC-PST50 series)
3b. Third-best picture quality (tie) (Panasonic TC-PGT50 series)

CNET is not alone. Almost all reviewers sing high praises about this TV. Let us beg a question: would these experts sing high praises if the TV faired abyssimally on IR? Note that these reviews are not fire and forget reviews but are updated all the time. If ST50 or GT50 or any other plasma model, had such serious IR issues, it would have been mentioned as a distict disadvantage. In fact, such news would go viral over the internet because bad news is good news.

The world over people buy LCD/LED 95 times out of 100. The one belief is plasma = old technology, if nothing else. It is only people who are very particular about black levels, colour accuracy, avoidance of the soap opera effect, motion/judder, wary of LED light bleed, etc., make an informed decision and turn to plasma. This does not mean that people who buy LCD/LED make a snap and ill-conceived decision. There are times when LCD/LED are better than plasma and I have said so many times. One such occasion is when watching TV in a very bright room. The hi-fi forums are dominated by plasma lovers - the average Joe does not join a forum. The experts' love for plasma and the domination of plasma lovers in a forum such as ours, irks some (and only some) LED lovers no end. Which is really sad.

I am no LCD/LED hater. But I believe that what is best is best for a situation, is best for a situation, no matter what.

I made very close comparisons while buying between HX850 and ST50. Although no side-by-side comparison was possible, some shopkeepers started to recognize me because of the (uncomfortable) questions that I asked both camps. I could clearly observe LED light bleed in HX850. Along with that I also observed that black was not as inky as in ST50/GT50. Hence I decided to buy ST50. For me, ST50 provided better value not only in terms overall quality but on money well spent too. For others, the situation may be different.

IR is always a worry with plasma. Two years ago, I was aware of it and that is why I was hesitant. But the problems can be tackled. I am not saying that people who are facing problems are lying and I am alone on side of the truth. I say that they do have a genuine problem. But more than anything, I feel that they are quite unfortunate with being landed with a defective piece. I do not think that this is a generic problem, at all. Would I be singing praises even if my own TV set was showing acute signs of IR, colour bands, judder, etc.? I would instead be crying hoarse and advise others against going for a plasma.

I said this once before. I will say it again. Anyone from Pune/Mumbai should feel free to visit my home and check the facts. Note that I am NOT trying to badger anyone into buying a plasma TV. You come, you see, you decide (conquer). :) :)

Finally, it is not that the HX850 is bad - in fact, it is a very good TV and almost near par with ST50 but it does not exceed the ST50 (I mention HX850 specifically because that is what always comes up in comparison). CNET has very good things to say about it: Best-performing edge-lit LED TV (Sony KDL-HX850 series). ST50 has some distict advantages while HX850 has some of its own. No expert claims that HX850 exceeds the plasmas in its range. It is a great pity that HX850 is being discontinued. Perhaps the new 'W' series will be equal if not better than HX850. I think that the Samsung E8000 series (55" costing 2.25 lakhs) is also mind blowing.

I hope that this puts the things into perspective.

A well balanced article. As you said, most of the videophiles do opt for plasma because they believe they get the best from it. Of course, if one gets the best from a product, he/she must also take care of that with some precautions. That's what Plasma offers. It offers the best PQ and at the same time, you need to take those extra precautions.

Sony/Sharp/Philips have made some of the best flagship LCDs (HX950/elite, etc) to get into the videophile territory. No doubt, they all are on par with the best Plasmas. Of course, there is no any absolute winner among those flagship models category. Each has it's own strenghts and weakness. Even in my old posts, I always maintained that there is no any absolute winner among the flagship models. For some video contents, the plasmas will have an upper hand and for the other, the best LCDs will have an upper hand. The downside is - this "even scores" between the best plasma and the best LCD stops at the flagship models. Coming down below the flagship level, you have the plasmas as the clear winners in terms of PQ. The reason is - the midrange/low-end plasmas are some how able to replicate the PQ of a top end plasma. For example, a midrange plasma like ST50 is almost near to the top end plasma like VT50/E8000. Where as, this didn't happen for the LCDs.
Probably LCDs might take the crown in future (in case OLEDs do not take up) and we need to wait and see.

Doing a side-by-side comparison may not be always feasible for a user who wants to buy a TV. Even if an LCD and a Plasma are placed side-by-side in a showroom, there may not be a level playig field. I had the opportunity to watch the entire "sherlock holmes 2" movie twice. Once on HX850 and the next time on ST50 (both in the darker rooms). Before that, I had only read on theory about plasma vs LCD. After having the chance of watching the same movie on both, then I personally experienced what the plasmas are made for. I came to realize practically that the Plasmas are born for having a superb movie watching experience.

As just4kix commented, I still maintain that I am neither a fanboy/hater of a particular brand nor a fanboy/hater of a particular technology. So what I commented in this post are the facts which I have witnessed myself and not an imaginary stuff just to say in high about a particular tech. So I hope this post does not create the usual LCD vs Plasma war. I also sincerely hope that I will not be branded as a fanboy in future. If LCD tech becomes better (even better than a plasma) going forward, I will be the first person to acknowledge that. The reason is - I am not obsessed with any particular tech/brand.

I had the same impression. Perhaps ST50 is more resilient to IR, but definitely IR is possible there with 'normal' usage.

Refer to our forum members:
miniwarmth (IR issue)
abhi0202 (IR issue)

These users have not updated the situation for quite some time, plus they don't seem to be really pissed off - so I assume issue is very minor on their panels.

But then we have one more member:
lcdfreak
Read about the saga here.
http://www.hifivision.com/television/32983-heartfelt-pics-st50-after-200-hours.html

So, it is unfair to give a disadvantage to GT50 panel only.

Good, Now, you are seeing the truth and getting the facts :clapping:

They are pissed off but what can they do, keep posting here where they dont get much help instead get antagonised, accused from others? like this thread: http://www.hifivision.com/television/36428-st50-replacement-led-refund-6.html

Or they get brilliant idea like terminate your HD box, like here where the member got BURN-IN, yes Burn-in is still a reality unlike claimed by the plasma fanboys, check here: http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...-first-impressions-reviews-tweaks-etc-38.html

The lingering "Viera" logo - I have also seen it sometimes. That is not IR by any standard. It stays for one or two seconds at startup till the main video kicks in. In the absence of actual video feed, the circuit and setup that displays the Viera logo at startup does not completely shut off. It cannot be termed as IR by any means. It would be IR had the logo remained displayed for minutes and hours together.

The fact remains that ST50 and GT50 are one of the best TVs around. CNET has marked ST50 as the best all round TV of 2012 and this includes all TVs regardless of technology. They said that while VT50 has better PQ, the ST50 scores higher for sheer value for money. Here are liinks:

Best HDTV Overall

Best HDTV for PQ:

CNET is not alone. Almost all reviewers sing high praises about this TV. Let us beg a question: would these experts sing high praises if the TV faired abyssimally on IR? Note that these reviews are not fire and forget reviews but are updated all the time. If ST50 or GT50 or any other plasma model, had such serious IR issues, it would have been mentioned as a distict disadvantage. In fact, such news would go viral over the internet because bad news is good news.

The world over people buy LCD/LED 95 times out of 100. The one belief is plasma = old technology, if nothing else. It is only people who are very particular about black levels, colour accuracy, avoidance of the soap opera effect, motion/judder, wary of LED light bleed, etc., make an informed decision and turn to plasma. This does not mean that people who buy LCD/LED make a snap and ill-conceived decision. There are times when LCD/LED are better than plasma and I have said so many times. One such occasion is when watching TV in a very bright room. The hi-fi forums are dominated by plasma lovers - the average Joe does not join a forum. The experts' love for plasma and the domination of plasma lovers in a forum such as ours, irks some (and only some) LED lovers no end. Which is really sad.

I am no LCD/LED hater. But I believe that what is best is best for a situation, is best for a situation, no matter what.

I made very close comparisons while buying between HX850 and ST50. Although no side-by-side comparison was possible, some shopkeepers started to recognize me because of the (uncomfortable) questions that I asked both camps. I could clearly observe LED light bleed in HX850. Along with that I also observed that black was not as inky as in ST50/GT50. Hence I decided to buy ST50. For me, ST50 provided better value not only in terms overall quality but on money well spent too. For others, the situation may be different.

IR is always a worry with plasma. Two years ago, I was aware of it and that is why I was hesitant. But the problems can be tackled. I am not saying that people who are facing problems are lying and I am alone on side of the truth. I say that they do have a genuine problem. But more than anything, I feel that they are quite unfortunate with being landed with a defective piece. I do not think that this is a generic problem, at all. Would I be singing praises even if my own TV set was showing acute signs of IR, colour bands, judder, etc.? I would instead be crying hoarse and advise others against going for a plasma.

I said this once before. I will say it again. Anyone from Pune/Mumbai should feel free to visit my home and check the facts. Note that I am NOT trying to badger anyone into buying a plasma TV. You come, you see, you decide (conquer). :) :)

Finally, it is not that the HX850 is bad - in fact, it is a very good TV and almost near par with ST50 but it does not exceed the ST50 (I mention HX850 specifically because that is what always comes up in comparison). CNET has very good things to say about it: Best-performing edge-lit LED TV (Sony KDL-HX850 series). ST50 has some distict advantages while HX850 has some of its own. No expert claims that HX850 exceeds the plasmas in its range. It is a great pity that HX850 is being discontinued. Perhaps the new 'W' series will be equal if not better than HX850. I think that the Samsung E8000 series (55" costing 2.25 lakhs) is also mind blowing.

Thanks for your posts. I am from currently in the US and have got a good deal on the 50ST50 (Brand new $800). I am yet to pickup from store. I would like to ship this to Pune this year.

I have seen this TV and the UT50 as well. Both are awesome IMO. Just the thought of shipping this TV to India makes me hesitant. I have heard that the plasma TV's need to shipped upright and I am confident that the shippers won't :sad:

Thanks for your posts. I am from currently in the US and have got a good deal on the 50ST50 (Brand new $800). I am yet to pickup from store. I would like to ship this to Pune this year.

I have seen this TV and the UT50 as well. Both are awesome IMO. Just the thought of shipping this TV to India makes me hesitant. I have heard that the plasma TV's need to shipped upright and I am confident that the shippers won't :sad:

That's a terrible idea.

1. You need to factor in Shipping costs- about 7-10k
2. You need to factor in customs.- 20K plus
3. No warranty
4. To fragile, may get damage
5. NTSC/ PAL issue
6. 110V issue
Too much hassle to save 15-20k. Better pay the difference and get something from Indian showrooms, it will give you 3yr warranty as well, which is essential for all flat panels, specially so for a plasma.

Good, Now, you are seeing the truth and getting the facts :clapping:

They are pissed off but what can they do, keep posting here where they dont get much help instead get antagonised, accused from others? like this thread: http://www.hifivision.com/television/36428-st50-replacement-led-refund-6.html

Or they get brilliant idea like terminate your HD box, like here where the member got BURN-IN, yes Burn-in is still a reality unlike claimed by the plasma fanboys, check here: http://www.hifivision.com/televisio...-first-impressions-reviews-tweaks-etc-38.html

I would still think that they can update others on the developments. Perhaps the issue has reduced as the panel is used more?
It is not good to jump to conclusions.

However, for lcdfreak, I think the TV itself has a defect since there are multiple problems.

If you pack in original box with front, back, top, bottom perfectly marked, there is not much problem. You should also get the TV fully insured against shipping damage.

That said, buying TV in US and then shipping to India is a bad idea.

1. First of all, the total cost of ownership is not worth it, considering that you will have to pay for shipping and customs. I will assume that you will ship it as unaccompanied baggage in which case it will attract full duty without any duty exemption of any kind.
2. Secondly there will cost of local transport from Mumbai to Pune, installation charges, wall mount cost, etc. which however insignificant will cost Rs. 3000-4000.
3. Thirdly there is no warranty. Panasonic plasma TVs sold in India carry 1-year TV warranty and 3-year panel warranty.
4. Fourthly, there will be PAL and NTSC issues that will necessitate a converter. This TV sold in USA is NTSC only and you will face problems with Indian DTH STBs and DVD players.
5. And speaking of converter, you will also need a 220V/50Hz to 110V/60Hz step down transformer which will be another 2K or so.

[edit:] I saw that manzb has posted similar recommendation.

Last edited:
I would still think that they can update others on the developments. Perhaps the issue has reduced as the panel is used more?
It is not good to jump to conclusions.

However, for lcdfreak, I think the TV itself has a defect since there are multiple problems.
There is no point arguing with some members. Jumping to conclusions is their habit. They do not understand that with every manufacturer there can always be bad/defective pieces that unsuspecting consumers end up with. It is a big and unfortunate issue. Here are similar problems:

Sony Bravia LCD TV bad front panel
http://www.avsforum.com/t/748779/official-sony-bravia-lcd-uneven-backlight-cloudy-thread
SONY BRAVIA KLV 32 V300 Consumer Reviews and Ratings - Beware of such a cheap brand! - MouthShut.com
SONY BRAVIA LCD S SERIES Consumer Reviews and Ratings - LCD pannel problem in SONY Bravia TV - MouthShut.com

These are just a few amongst the 100 such reports against Sony. You can find similar threads complaining about Samsung, LG, Sharp, etc. Are these isolated incidents or a general trend?

This is the first time I am mentioning direct links to bad things about a TV.

Guys like etios sing praises of LCD/LEDs and urge people to consider LED because plasma is bad and not because LED is good. I always recommend people to buy a TV for situations best suited to the requirement. If people have conviction, let them propose a TV based on stregths and not negative publicity. Anyway, this does not work because:

- the average person just repeats what he has seen his relative/neighbour purchase
- the informed persons take informed decisions

Thanks for your inputs. Shipping costs will be borne by my company. Also I will take TR so that will be 15% custom duty. Few of my friends have taken Sony TV's and they have paid between Rs 2000-3000 in custom duty.

Its true that I will need a step down transformer. I heard that Videocon HD STB has an option for 60Hz output. In that case a PAL to NTSC converter will not be required. I may be wrong.

I would have liked to buy in India but I heard that the availability of the 50ST50 is scarce. The risk of damage during shipping is making me rethink. Else I might just go for a higher end LED/LCD TV from Sony.

Best HDTV Overall

Best HDTV for PQ:

:thumbsup::clapping:
To me it sounded like Swami Vivekananda's address at the Chicago religious meet!!
Regarding the comparision of HX850 and ST50...I do it very regularly playing the same videos at my place and at my cousin's place. I can say only one thing. ST50 rocks:yahoo: and my all time favourite HX850 is too good an LED tv though.:clapping:

And I am pained at the IR issues plaguing the sets of some of our members.:sad:
Some members here have eagle eyesight. They are talking about 1 dead pixel etc, it runs a chill in my spine. May be there are some issues like that in my TV too. Maybe I am too much drunk with the PQ of ST50 and these things are escaping my sight.
Anyways, I don't intend to look for them in future too unless they are too serious to automatically catch my attention.

I am a nuclear medicine physician and most of my awake time is spend watching displays for medical imaging. Need eagle eyes so I dont miss any focus of cancer. I had mentioned a dead pixel (rather a sluggish pixel) but that is not visble from the viewing distance.

I am interested in buying either
50st50 price = 99k
50gt50 price = 115k ( nothing told about free gifts) what prices good?

As i have seen many posts by @just4kix about these tvs, please help me that you still refer st50. Already you have good experience about the tv, I had major accident have to stay home at least 3-4months.

Interested in watching hd channels, 1080p movies, 3d movies...... And also please tell me that I am happy to invest 15k more on gt50 also, is it worth to spend that money.

I am living 150km away from Hyderabad, my friend wants to go to buy the tv. Anything I need to tell him before buying the tv?

I am interested in buying either
50st50 price = 99k
50gt50 price = 115k ( nothing told about free gifts) what prices good?

As i have seen many posts by @just4kix about these tvs, please help me that you still refer st50. Already you have good experience about the tv, I had major accident have to stay home at least 3-4months.

Interested in watching hd channels, 1080p movies, 3d movies...... And also please tell me that I am happy to invest 15k more on gt50 also, is it worth to spend that money.

I am living 150km away from Hyderabad, my friend wants to go to buy the tv. Anything I need to tell him before buying the tv?
You will be more than satisfied with UT50.

I am interested in buying either ST50 or HX850 please suggest me which one good.
HX850 is being phased out and will be replaced by W-900. As yet, no idea on exact dates. ST50 is also not so easily available. I suggest that you wait till June/July when picture will become clearer.

I am interested in buying either ST50 or HX850 please suggest me which one good.

I bought hx850 last month, I was seriously considering st50 and gt50 but the fact that i would not be home during day to take care of it and my family members wanted to go with something which would be hassle free for the years to come made me buy 55hx850.

I cancelled my 50ST50 purchase. Decided to wait for the ST60 (I expect that there will not be a major difference in PQ but you never know). A local store has a 55HX850 (floor model) that the manager is willing to sell for $1000. It comes with the 1 year manufacturer warranty and I can buy an additional 3 year warranty from Sony for $99. Only thing that's holding me back is that the TV will have been turned on for months (maybe nearly a year). Decisions Decisions.

Last edited:
Check the usage hrs, if less than say 2000hrs not a bad idea,assuming the exterior is well protected with no scratches on the screen, as the demo pieces are more prone to the scratches is my personal observation, I had dropped my idea to buy a demo piece Of lg lw6500 for the same very reason, I wanted to buy it in 2012... It was an excellent tv.. Anyways...The amount he is quoting is attractive... Wiil he be giving the goggles and other free bees along , I remember hx850came with bluray player...if yes, a good deal... All the best...

Last edited:
Check the usage hrs, if less than say 2000hrs not a bad idea,assuming the exterior is well protected with no scratches on the screen, as the demo pieces are more prone to the scratches is my personal observation, I had dropped my idea to buy a demo piece Of lg lw6500 for the same very reason, I wanted to buy it in 2012... It was an excellent tv.. Anyways...The amount he is quoting is attractive... Wiil he be giving the goggles and other free bees along , I remember hx850came with bluray player...if yes, a good deal... All the best...

Thanks for the info. In the US, the HX850 does not come with any free items and no free 3D glasses. The store also has a 55LM7600 for the same price with 6 glasses and a 55HX750 for around $800.

Like you said, I need to check the usage hours. The sets do not seem to have any issues though. Since the room is bright, I could not check for backlight bleeding. But I will have 30 days to return if there is an issue and will get manufacturer warranty. Also have the option to buy additional 3 years warranty for $99.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back